Detect Evil vs Invisibility?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Detect Evil vs Invisibility?

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nothing I've read about the various Detect Evil Wizard/Priest Spells or Paladin Ability state if it works when an evil monster or object is in a state of invisibility what is the verdict on this type of situation?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Detect Evil vs Invisibility?

#2 Post by Rukellian »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Nothing I've read about the various Detect Evil Wizard/Priest Spells or Paladin Ability state if it works when an evil monster or object is in a state of invisibility what is the verdict on this type of situation?
I've always gone off of the logic that Invisibility affects the material plane, the one that most eyes connect with. Invisiblity should not affect auras, however, and I consider Detect Evil the act of checking for evil auras. In my opinion, auras are something that can only be seen on a different plane other than the material. Whether it be spiritual or magical, if a spell is cast that allows a character to detect a specific or broad range of alignments, he/she is actually viewing someone or something through another plane, much like shining a light that can reveal a special ink on paper.

I speak in analogies and guesses, so if anyone has anything concrete to bring to the table, by all means. ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Keehnelf »

You can determine a percentage chance of perceiving an evil invisible target using intensity of evil radiation (r) being given off by the invisible object with diameter d over the course of a number of turns spent looking (t). The physics are a bit complex, but if you know the thickness of the veil between the material and the negative energy plane (v in most notations), you can solve for a result that will allow a straight d% roll per the following formula.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Damn, Keehnelf stole my exact response! ;)

In all seriousness, though, I think Ruke's answer is pretty solid. As a DM, I'd go with it.

-- DM --
Game Status Groups Players
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e) On Hiatus (Archived)
--
--

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm avoiding the algebra looking answer lol and going with the one Ruke gave. I like all answers but I'm not going to start tossing the hard math/science into it. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#6 Post by Scott308 »

I like Ruke's answer as well. You can cast Detect Evil and sense an evil presence from the vampire on the other side of a door. You can't see what it is, but you know something there is evil. Same with invisibilty. Or if you were blind, you would still sense the evil.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Keehnelf »

FWIW, I would rule the same way.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well the way I'm ruling it is The Paladin can sense the evil is nearby but not pin point the invisible imp. I'm just not overly understanding of how it works with a paladin's ability and vs a purely evil creature that can just go invisible at will.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

I've always given that ability a vague functionality. It isn't as if some red laser beam of light shoots from the palidain's sword and zeros in on the source.

To put it simply, the ability to detect evil does not give him the ability to see invisible creatures. He has a general idea of the direction of the source of evil, but not the exact location.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sounds like I played it out good then. Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rukellian »

Glad I could offer a way of looking at it.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

everyone provided good insight even if it was just stating they'd do the same thing as a prior answer. :D

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Synthalus »

Rukellian wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Nothing I've read about the various Detect Evil Wizard/Priest Spells or Paladin Ability state if it works when an evil monster or object is in a state of invisibility what is the verdict on this type of situation?
I've always gone off of the logic that Invisibility affects the material plane, the one that most eyes connect with. Invisiblity should not affect auras, however, and I consider Detect Evil the act of checking for evil auras. In my opinion, auras are something that can only be seen on a different plane other than the material. Whether it be spiritual or magical, if a spell is cast that allows a character to detect a specific or broad range of alignments, he/she is actually viewing someone or something through another plane, much like shining a light that can reveal a special ink on paper.

I speak in analogies and guesses, so if anyone has anything concrete to bring to the table, by all means. ;)

Spot on, i couldn't have said it better myself.
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Detect Evil (Divination) Reversible
Level: 1 Components: V, S, M Range: 12" Casting Time: 1 round Duration: 1 turn + ½ turn/level Saving Throw: None Area of Effect: 1" path
Explanation/Description: This is a spell which discovers emanations of evil, or of good in the case of the reverse spell, from any creature or object. For example, evil alignment or an evilly cursed object will radiate evil, but a hidden trap or an unintelligent viper will not. The duration of a Detect Evil (or Detect Good) spell is 1 turn + ½ turn (5 rounds, or 5 minutes) per level of the cleric. Thus a cleric of 1st level of experience can cast a spell with a 1½ turn duration, at 2nd level a 2 turn duration, 2½ at 3rd, etc. The spell has a path of detection 1" wide in the direction in which the cleric is facing. It requires the use of the cleric's holy (or unholy) symbol as its material component, with the cleric holding it before him or her.
The second to last sentence (emphasis added) indicates that if not a laser beam, then a 1" wide path of detection exists in the direction in which the cleric or paladin is facing. The 1" wide path is 12" long, the spell's range. Emanations of evil from "any creature" (even invisible ones) would be detected within that 1" x 12" area of effect (or 1" x 6" in a paladin's case).

So if a paladin fired arrows down that 1" path, he might have a chance to hit the invisible creature (with the standard -4 to hit invisible creatures). Or if he advanced down that path, his long sword swinging, he might have a similar chance to hit when he moved within attack range with his 6" of movement.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. ;)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun