Magical Research

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Magical Research

#1 Post by Rukellian »

I've been working on a custom spell for one of my new character creations, and I would like to share it with you guys to see if it might need any technical revisions or clarification. I plan on using this spell as part of a magical research project for a necromancer, so I want to make sure everything is checked off and good to go before I present it to my future DM. Thank you in advance for any healthy or constructive criticism!

Flesh Replicate (4th level Necromancy Spell)
Range: Touch
Components: V, M
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 2d4 rds.
Area of Effect: See material components in description
Saving Throws: Neg. ( <--- I think that’s correct)

Flesh Replicate can be considered, for all intents and purposes, a low-level Clone spell. Using Flesh Replicate, a necromancer of moderate ability can perfectly recreate a cloned version of any body part that can fit under a clean white cloth (the caster’s or someone else’s).

The spell requires the caster to place a clean white cloth over the desired body part for replication and another clean white cloth of similar proportions directly next to it. After the spell is complete the replicated body part materializes on top of the clean white sheet directly next to the original. The original body part is unchanged. If the caster is interrupted during the rounds needed to complete the spell, the spell is halted and nothing else happens.

If the spell is cast on another person, a saving check vs. Spell is needed if he/she is unwilling. If the other person’s saving throw succeeds, the replication fails to start and nothing happens. If the saving throw fails the person is left unconscious until the spell is complete. If the person is willing to undergo the spell, they will remain conscious during the process (it’s not painful).

The replication process, without any interruptions, will go through successfully, regardless if the body part is connected or already detached. Note that any detached body part must be relatively fresh or preserved in order for the spell to work. Only one body part may be replicated per casting of said spell. If multiple body parts are attempted in the Flesh Replication process, failure will occur and possible destruction of said body parts may also result (at the DM’s discretion, he/she may provide ruling on the specifications of body part groupings, an example being: the fingers on a hand do not count as individual body parts). Note: Destroyed body parts resulting from failed applications of Flesh Replicate can only be brought back to existence through use of the spells Limited Wish and Wish.

Upon successful application of Flesh Replicate, the caster will feel fatigued and lose one constitution point for each round of the spell spent. The caster may regain those lost constitution points through a full days rest.

After successfully using Flesh Replicate, the cloned products must be embalmed, or preserved through other means properly; otherwise it will deteriorate rapidly within the next day. Making use of said body part for another spell like Graft Flesh or Clone will prevent the deterioration of the product. The material components needed for this spell would be two pieces of clean white cloth of equal proportion and the desired body part for replication. The clean white cloths must be big enough to completely cover the body part in question. The white cloths may be reused if they remain clean after the spell.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magical Research

#2 Post by ToniXX »

Interesting write up and an interesting idea for a spell. I'll assume that you're using this under 2e rules, as you've specified that you're a necromancer and I think you said in your intro thread that you're playing 2e.

My question is: what would this spell be useful for? I guess I see the use after reading the Graft Flesh spell entry, but tell me more about how you see it being used. I see there are two other interesting spells in the same category: graft limb (used only by undead spellcasters) and graft item. Both of these spells come from the Ravenloft world.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

The way I envisioned this spell to be used is actually quite simple. Flesh Replicate would be a tool used by white necromancers, or necromancers who focus on white necromantic spells, spells that focus on aiding other people and themselves. It's the sort of medieval physician role with a dark arts twist. Flesh Replicate, when used in conjuction with Embalm, can help create a stock of body parts, much like how blood is stored in blood banks. When someone loses a limb in a freak accident, or when someone wishes to replace a body part that is failing, the Replicated product would serve as a genuine replacement for said person (all assuming it was a clone of their own flesh). Many other spells also require flesh components like eyes and skin, or the occasional blood drop, this spell can help create a healthy stock of said components. With that said, even if the eyes of a newt or wolf are consumed during a spell, guess what, you have some extras stored away, thanks to Flesh Replicate!

Those who seek to role play out a hippocratic oath for their necromantic physician, may opt to use this spell to help them keep a steady supply of flesh for all their spells, through a steady and legal means of obtaining it, and if done with a person's consent, morally acceptable as well in comparison to other necromantic practices.

Some examples of the Flesh Replicate proving invaluable would be using spells like Graft Flesh, Corpse Host, Clone, Corpse Link, Spectral Voice, and any other spell that may require blood or flesh components like eyes.

While relooking at some of the material components for wizard spells and necromantic spells alike, I noticed a lot of teeth and bones being used. I might just have to come up with a similar spell called Bone Replicate, not to be confused with Bone Growth! But that's for another magical research oppurtunity.... So yeah, even if it is just to be a custom spell for myself, I still think it could fit in quite nicely with current spell list, without being too game breaking. This spell could also lend itself to some player creativity, with others spells being used in conjuction.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by AQuebman »

Hmm sounds like a spell to help making a flesh golem or sort of a very gray necromancy spell where I could see it being used to create 8 armed zombie monsters just as much as it could be used to replace somebody's limb.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rukellian »

A good spell, in my opinion, allows the user to be flexible with its use. I try to keep that in mind when coming up with my own set of custom spells. Flesh Replicate, as you guys can see, can be used for medical purposes, utility (restocking flesh spell components), and even combat (flesh golems, possible zombie army).

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by AQuebman »

The beauty of roleplaying in general is that you the DM can make all final calls and decisions no matter what the original intention may have been. You could even give it a descriptor of (good) or (lawful) or something to imply it's focus for only good or lawful characters etc... In the hands of players left alone things can be exploited in numerous ways.

Return to “RPG theory”