Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

#221 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:"I am not on Maegera's side, who would destroy the living things of this plane by setting all of it on fire. Can you not see the plane for the trees?"
Me thinks you are addled, child. The green does not wish to set this plane afire. Maegera's wrath has paved the way for rebirth. As in nature, a fire in the forest burns away all the dead and suffocating weeds and tangles, so that new life can emerge and flourish. We have summoned the harbinger of that new life. His coming is sure and soon!
So, I ask you for the final time, whose side are you on, Torion?

Uilon gets the impression that Haeredeth is done with talking. In fact, she is not even looking at him as her voice echoes in his mind. She is looking behind her...waiting expectantly.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#222 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Unlike Aslaan, Kelton's eyes grow as wide as saucers once the girl begins opening her shirt.

After being belittled by the Harper, his eyes sink down a bit.

"Well then, If you are Harpers, then I guess we have no choice but to trust you".

He looks around to judge the reactions of his friends.

"I agree that we should get that egg out of here. But not because I think that the dragon will come for it. Lead the way then, Miss. I guess we leave our remaining friends back there to fend for themselves then?

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#223 Post by Jack »

"So the ceremony Gareth spoke of is not for bringing forth Maegera? Who is the Lone Wolf? Who is the harbinger, and what is being heralded?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:"So the ceremony Gareth spoke of is not for bringing forth Maegera? Who is the Lone Wolf? Who is the harbinger, and what is being heralded?"
Clearly irritated, Haeredeth says aloud, "How many times must I say that Maegera has already come? Do you not have ears to hear with? Do you not have eyes to see with?"

Haeredeth looks up into the sky and closes her eyes. "Fools," she whispers, then turns her attention back to Uilon. "The Lone Wolf is who we of the Black Grove serve. He offers succor for the outcast and the shunned, for those who seek their own sustenance and safety. He tells his faithful, "The world is a harsh and unforgiving place, with uncompromising demands on those who would forge their own path. Follow the way of the Lone Wolf, for his is the path of self-sufficiency."

"As a human," she almost spits the word, "I wouldn't expect you to understand. But we who are the Unbowed, we rejoice in his coming, for we shall make a home for ourselves and return this portion of Faerun back to the green."

Suddenly, the ground and trees shudder as darkness settles in on the grove. Haeredeth lifts her arms and sighs contentedly. "Ah, the Lone Wolf comes. I would tell you to run, human, but I fear it is too late for you."

Something is indeed coming in your direction for the trees are shaking with each shuddering step. Whatever it is, it must be huge!
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan has heard the tales of the Harpers and respects the legacy though he has had no first hand experiences with them. Even if the symbol is the correct one, he wonders how brandishing a trinket and an air of authority automatically prove the woman's bonafides. Slightly less suspicious, though only slightly, he keeps his mouth shut and lets Kelton do the talking....mostly.

I'm not saying I'm blind to the nature of that dragon but I gave my word which means something to me. I hate to break it. What would you have us do with the egg?

He tries to discern the woman's intentions/veracity.
perception check bonus for not being distracted by her breasts? ;)
perception check[1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8
Son of a bitch! That damn 8 every time! Aslaan must be distracted by the cute guy behind her.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Unlike Aslaan, Kelton's eyes grow as wide as saucers once the girl begins opening her shirt.
After being belittled by the Harper, his eyes sink down a bit.
"Well then, If you are Harpers, then I guess we have no choice but to trust you".
He looks around to judge the reactions of his friends.
"I agree that we should get that egg out of here. But not because I think that the dragon will come for it. Lead the way then, Miss. I guess we leave our remaining friends back there to fend for themselves then?
"Your druid friend should be along soon...I hope. Killing the dryad should break the charm he was obviously under. I owed that bitch! She charmed at least four of my companions in the past six months! Once she was done with them, she left them to die in the grove. Only one made it out alive. I found him by the shore of the Black Lake. He died a week later."
She walks as she talks, leading your group along a road toward the north; Kelton knows there is a gate there.
coil23 wrote:Aslaan
I'm not saying I'm blind to the nature of that dragon but I gave my word which means something to me. I hate to break it. What would you have us do with the egg?
"Once we get through the gate and out of the city, you can return it to the dragon if you want. She'll probably kill you once she has her egg back. Evil dragons aren't known to honor agreements with mortals."

"How are we supposed to sneak the egg through the gate?" Gerland asks, clearly not happy with all that has been going on."I mean, you can't exactly hide the damn thing. You need me to carry it for awhile, Aslaan?"

Theryis snorts. "Don't worry about the gate or the egg. Members of our group control the gate. We'll get...through...shit!"

Theryis slows to a halt, as do the rest of the group. Looking ahead, the way to the gate is blocked...by a large group of figures. Looking closer, you can see they are hobgoblins > standing in the road, in the eaves of ruined buildings, and partially concealed by scrub brush and broken walls. All are armed to the teeth > most have longbows trained you; some hold their longswords, ready to bloody them. One hobgoblin, wearing a scarred breastplate, leans on a greatsword. "Ah, the lovely Theryis and her band of rogues. How fortunate that we meet like this. I say this to you, leave all your weapons...and the egg...and we might let you live. Or you can try your luck...and die."

From a quick count, you figure there are nearly two dozen hobgoblins.

"Damn! We're in a tight spot!" Gerland says.
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#227 Post by Jack »

Uilon blinks and shakes his head. Looking back at Silene, he realizes that she must've cast a spell to charm him. Before he can say anything to her tho, his attention is brought back to Haeredeth by the massive "Lone Wolf"'s thundering approach.

"Ah crap..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#228 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton thinks the group can easily take out 24 hobgoblins.

They just want the egg but I fell like they will kill us either way. I say we cut them down first.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#229 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Why can't anything ever be simple?, mutters the young man. And here I was fixin' to get to know Three Tracks over there. (a sidelong glance at that one)

My understanding is that the egg is already carefully packed away in Aslaan's pack so the hobgoblins must have already known about it. Am I correct?

Aslaan, under the pretext of rearranging his pack and equipment, casually preps his bow but does not aim it at the new party. Umm, any other exits we could try?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:My understanding is that the egg is already carefully packed away in Aslaan's pack so the hobgoblins must have already known about it. Am I correct?
Actually, the dragon egg is very big, too big to fit in your backpack. You could have strapped it to your back or something like that, but I just assumed you were carrying it. 8-)

Was kinda hoping Ioriston would post...you out there dude?
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#231 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston, who has been just observing up until now, steps up and sees his foes.

We have little choice but to combat the throng. They will undoubtedly kill us and take the egg. Regardless of the motive of the Harpers, survival is our common motive!

Ioriston points at the talker and lets loose!!!

Scorching Ray: Ranged Touch Attack: [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 Damage: [4d6] = 13

Edit: That's two of the Scroching Rays. The extra one is directed to the baddie next to the talker: Scorching Ray the Third: Ranged Touch Attack: [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9 Damage: [2d6] = 7

Ioriston shouts triumphantly!!!
Any questions?!?!

Sorry guys. New baby's been keeping me up and away from things for a bit.
Last edited by wordoftheoracle on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by hedgeknight »

wordoftheoracle wrote:Sorry guys. New baby's been keeping me up and away from things for a bit.
Been there. Done that. No need to explain, brother! :mrgreen:

And Ioriston is back, slinging fire! Yes!! And that will be initiative, fellers!
Initiative and actions!!
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#233 Post by Jack »

Does Uilon hear Ioriston's shout and fire attacks?

Initiative: [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12.
Last edited by Jack on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#234 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Initiative: [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6

There's some sweet irony!

Ioriston will target the leader with a Magic Missile if the leader is still standing. Otherwise, Ioriston will spread the pain with more fire from burning hands!

For the Magic Missile:

Magic Missile: 1st Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4; Second Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3; Third Missile Damage: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

For the Burning Hands:

Burning Hands: [3d6] = 14 points of fire damage!

For the Watch:
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#235 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Disheartened at developments on the escape front, Aslaan mumbles, I believe the decision has been made then.
He sets the egg down and then fires his bow: at the leader if still alive or the nearest hobgoblin to him if the leader has fallen.

To hit: [1d20+8] = 8+8 = 16, damage with longbow [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:Does Uilon hear Ioriston's shout and fire attacks?
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12.
Not with all that's going on around you.

With the realization that he was charmed by the dryad, Uilon is unsure what to do. Fortunately, for him, that decision is about to be made for him. The ground around him begins to shudder and he can feel the footsteps of the being coming toward him. Haeredeth is laughing, arms wide, in welcome to what has taken so much effort to accomplish.
Through the trees, Uilon sees something huge approaching. And when it breaks into full view, his mind is nearly overwhelmed.
forest creature.jpg
forest creature.jpg (381.32 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
The monstrous creature is unlike anything Uilon has ever imagined, much less seen with his own eyes. (And no, he cannot shape change into it :mrgreen: ) The creature appears to be constructed of wood and natural elements. Haeredeth approaches it willingly, almost running to its feet. Uilon's mind is filled with images he cannot really grasp > swirling vortex, another world of similar beings gathered around a great tree that stretches all across the land, and then the destructive nature of these creatures...it's all almost too much for the young druid.
He staggers from the visions as the huge creature leans down...and Haeredeth rests a tentative hand on its head.
She turns and looks at Uilon. "Isn't it magnificent?"
And then suddenly, the creature opens its maw, and with a blur of its head, it snaps Haeredeth up and swallows her whole!
The last image Uilon has of her is her legs kicking frantically before the beast gulps her down. The creature then stands full erect and its head is in the canopy of the tallest trees. And then...it fixes its gaze upon Uilon.
As the druid's bowels threaten to stain his breeches, the creature takes one giant step toward him, then another...

Actions???
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#237 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Initiative [1d20-1] = 7-1 = 6

Kelton smiles a wide grin once the elf attacks, happy to show these thugs a lesson in manners when a lady is present.

"No way am I going out at the hands of a lousy hobgoblin! Lets take these pukes down!!!"

He reaches into his Bag of Tricks and tosses a fury ball towards the biggest contingent of archers that he sees.

With his bonus action, he pops the top on his potion bottle and quickly quaffs the magical liquid down.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#238 Post by Jack »

Uilon turns, jumps over the limp Silene, and runs in the direction Theryis led the rest.
Movement: run.
Action: dash.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by hedgeknight »

Battle at the Gate, Rd. 1
Initiative Order (after Ioriston's action): Gerland (20), Aslaan (11), Hobgoblins (9), Ioriston & Kelton (6), Theryis & Friends (3)
Harpers & Hobgoblins Initiative: [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3, [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9
"Ah, the lovely Theryis and her band of rogues. How fortunate that we meet like this. I say this to you, leave all your weapons...and the egg...and we might let you live. Or you can try your luck...and die."
From a quick count, you figure there are nearly two dozen hobgoblins.
"Damn! We're in a tight spot!" Gerland says.
Kelton and Aslaan quickly assess their chances, hoping for a way out of this...but Ioriston steps up, eyes ablaze. We have little choice but to combat the throng. They will undoubtedly kill us and take the egg. Regardless of the motive of the Harpers, survival is our common motive!
And with that, the elven mage points at the talker and lets loose!!!
The scorching ray strikes the Hobgoblin leader, knocking him backwards (Dmg 13), while a second ray narrowly misses the hobgoblin standing beside him.
Ioriston shouts triumphantly!!! Any questions?!?!

After the initial shock of the mage's spellcasting, folks start moving, firing, and attacking.
"That's more like it!" Gerland shouts, unleashing a bolt of light straight into the back of the Hobgoblin leader just as it regains its feet. He crumples under the attack and does not get back up!
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20; Guiding Bolt: [5d6] = 26

Mumbling about the decision being made, Aslaan quickly sets the egg down and fires an arrow at the hobgoblin nearest their (now) dead leader. The arrow strikes deep, spinning the hobgoblin around. (Dmg 7)
Initiative for Aslaan: [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11

With their leader down, the Hobgoblins do what all of their kind do...they retaliate in force!! :twisted:
Arrows and javelins fill the air...
There are 10 of you out there, so I figure all of you are targeted at least twice. Heroes first, then the Harpers; sound fair? Here are the rolls:
Arrows: [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9, [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11, [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14, [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9
Aslaan (AC15) 9, 11 = miss; Gerland (AC19) 14, 9 = miss
Arrows: [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17, [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4, [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20, [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17
Ioriston (AC12) 17, 4 = one hit (5 dmg); Kelton (AC15) 20, 17 = two hits (10 dmg)
Arrows: [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10, [1d20+3] = 18+3 = 21, [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10, [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 Theryis & Harper > each take 5 dmg.
Arrows: [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14, [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9, [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22, [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19 Two Harpers > 2nd takes 10 dmg and falls!
Arrows: [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4, [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6, [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20, [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14
Two Harpers > 2nd takes 10 dmg and falls!
The Heroes and the Harpers are pelted with arrows; several take damage, and two Harpers fall under the barrage! Even though he is wounded, Kelton can't help but smile at the turn of events.
"No way am I going out at the hands of a lousy hobgoblin! Lets take these pukes down!!!"
He reaches into his Bag of Tricks and tosses a fury ball towards the biggest contingent of archers that he sees. The fuzzy ball hits the ground and bounces a couple of times...and then turns into a giant rat!
Kelton gives a nod and pops the top off a potion bottle and quickly quaffs the magical liquid.

As the Harpers prepare to return fire, Uilon suddenly bursts from the woods behind them! They notice, for the first time, that the ground is literally shuddering as something huge comes crashing through the grove, chasing the druid.
"What the hell did you piss off?" Gerland shouts, forgetting the Hobgoblins and turning to face whatever is coming through the grove.

ACTIONS!!
Need two rounds of actions for Ioriston (for this round and for the next).

Stats:
Aslaan -
Gerland -
Ioriston -
Kelton - down 10 hp
Uilon -
Theryis - down 5 hp
Half-elves - two dead

Hob Leader - dead
Last edited by hedgeknight on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#240 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Did getting shot negate Keltons actions?

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”