Chapter 4 > Thundertree

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 4 > Thundertree

#321 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

Well met, stranger.

If you are a friend of Reidoth, then you are a friend to us.

Perhaps you would like to say a few words over the man before we lay him to rest?

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#322 Post by Jack »

Uilon, in shock, looks at the cleric, "He was my mentor." He turns around to walk out, but turns back, now facing the noble "My name is Uilon Calithil, and..."

Uilon turns, walks out, grabs his backpack, and heads for the old smithy where Reidoth had told him the giant spiders were.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by hedgeknight »

Uilon finds the body of Reidoth in the ruins. The druid looks ashen gray, his lips almost black, he is also quite stiff. Uilon would estimate the druid has been dead for about 10 hours.

Do the rest of you follow along?
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#324 Post by Jack »

Can Uilon see if it really was the spiders that killed Reidoth? A nature, investigation, or perception check? 1d20 (+proficiency) +modifier?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by hedgeknight »

Quilon notes Reidoth still has strands of webbing along his legs and pieces of it in his hair and beard. He also notes two bite marks on the left side of the old druid's face.
Saddened beyond words, Quilon looks up to the canopied trees as if to seek solace from the beauty of nature...and sitting on a tree limb not more than eight feet above him is a beautiful hawk. It turns its head to look at him, its large round eyes seemingly recognizing him.
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#326 Post by Jack »

Uilon sits down, and starts to cast Speak with animals on himself as a ritual, in hopes of finding out what the hawk saw.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#327 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston follow the newcomer curiously but at a respectful distance.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#328 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

When it is first established that the intruder was a friend of the druid's Aslaan says softly, he gave his life in protection of ours. He still eyes the man somewhat suspiciously though and says nothing more. He will follow when the others go to the druid's body but hangs back and keeps a careful watch around them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#329 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Interested in what this stranger is all about, Kelton also follows at a respectable distance. He keeps a sharp eye around the proceedings in case any more Carl the cultist's show up. He also watches the sky to see if the dragon decides to pay its last respects.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#330 Post by Dogma »

While the newcomer goes through his ritual, Gerland hangs back with the others and starts to think about how they tend to the druids body. 'Hey guys' " he says quietly, "Anyone have an idea on how were going to take care of the body? Bury it? Cremation? Stuffed it into a hollow tree? Guess we can ask the newcomer there. He might know how Reidoth what have preferred. I wonder if there is a shovel in of these buildings..." he trails off as he looks around.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#331 Post by Jack »

Uilon, gets up, but continues the ritual by fluttering the fingers on his left hand and making guttural sounds.

He double checks to make sure Reidoth isn't breathing, and then searches among the fallen branches for a thick piece of wood which he places beneath his mentor's neck.

He also looks in the building and trees above for any silky spider egg sacs.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by hedgeknight »

Aslaan finds no axe in the cabin, nor does Uilon find any egg sacks in the spidery webs.

But, the young druid does learn a couple of things from the hawk:

Uilon >
In clipped speech, the hawk says, "Master sent me away when attack started. I flew high and watched as Master and new ones pecked and scratched at black ones. Master and new ones decided to go see the great green drake. I stayed far away. Spiders attacked and Master fought them while new ones ran away. I dove and pecked and scratched one of the spiders while Master fought the other. Master was bitten...and then wrapped for spider's meal. I watched until dawn, then went hunting for food. New ones pecked and scratched woody walkers and black ones. Then the green drake came and pecking stopped. Drake ate well is morning. Then new ones found my Master...and then you came."
You can share as much of this with the group as you wish.
Kelton and Ioriston watch the newcomer with curiosity.

Gerland suggests ways to dispose of Reidoth's body.
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#333 Post by Jack »

Uilon speaks to the hawk in Common, "Thank you Glinith. I will leave Reidoth's body for the vultures. If you need me, I will be going duskward to the sea city, and there tell Haeredeth what happened here. She may send someone to get more spiders settled here.

You're unnamed now."

Uilon removes more of the webbing from Reidoth's body, takes his pouches, sickle, arm bands, and totem staff, and searches the rest of his body.

He turns to the fancy pants, "May I use your great axe?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#334 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton obliges this newcomer by handing him his ax to use. He is interested to see what a nature boy would want with such a dangerous and lethal weapon.

Careful now. It is quite sharp.

He looks on saying nothing else, hoping that whatever is about to happen wont take a long time. He tries to be respectful in his own ignorance.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#335 Post by Jack »

Uilon takes the axe, "Thank you kindly."

He casts a produce flame spell, uses it to set a fallen branch on fire, and with the branch heats up his dagger. Uilon then raises the great axe with both hands and decapitates Reidoth. With his dagger he does some cauterizing to stop more of the blood from seeping out.

"I'm heading to Neverwinter city, but if you need help with the funeral of your big friend, I can stay to help" he says as he wipes the axe, and hands it back.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#336 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton is taken aback by the bold moves of the newcomer.

Ummm......Sure. No problem.

He looks to all of the others to see if they share his confusion. After a minute, he shakes it off.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated. What is in Neverwinter for you? We could use someone of your skills here with us.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#337 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan blinks in surprise at the actions with the axe. It isn't as if he hasn't seen as bad or worse, but he did not expect that here in this situation. Feeling awkward but not sure why he tentatively asks about one of the stranger's comments. Um, get more spiders settled here? What does that mean?

And do we want to get back to the wagon and...remaining horses to get a start before sunset?

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#338 Post by Jack »

Uilon ties Reidoth's belongings to his own shirt and backpack after Kelton says the party would appreciate his help with Kael's body. "Haeredeth, a messenger of Reidoth's circle, is in Neverwinter city. I need to inform her of what happened here."

To Aslaan he says "The spiders are a backup to keep people from resettling Thundertree. Dragons are usually enough to keep people away, but these cultists were actually attracted here by Venomfang.

I untied the horses, allowing them to scatter if the dragon attacked them. They were still standing next to the wagon when I entered Thundertree."

He looks at the rest. "The hawk told me you had dealings with the dragon - may I ask what they were? Venomfang is not to be trusted.

Also, what are your names?"

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#339 Post by wordoftheoracle »

You may call me Ioriston. The drake told us that her name is Flora. Her egg has been stolen by the cultists who precipitated the death of your friend and mentor. We have its current whereabouts based on intelligence secured from the cultist's themselves. Is there any reason we should not pursue the return of Flora's spawn?
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#340 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan is somewhat shocked about the explanation for the spiders. Well, it certainly worked for druids, he mutters under his breath. It just seems wrong to him that they would put an uncontrollable deterrent in place. And the man who tried to protect them paid the price. He shakes his head and listens to what the response will be to Ioriston's question.

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”