Chapter 4 > Thundertree

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 4 > Thundertree

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

A New Day, A New Adventure

At the Stonehill Inn the next morning, Toblen and Trilena serve up a hearty breakfast for all of you as you prepare to depart. You break your fast on fresh eggs, sausage links all the way from Westbridge, pancakes with strawberries and syrup, and biscuits with butter and honey. Hot tea, cold cider, or ale out of the tap tops off the meal.

While you eat, many of the locals drop in to wish you well (and pay for your meals!) and offer plenty of warnings for you to be careful too. The Dendrar family is there, Sister Garaele, Qelline Alderleaf and young Carp, Halia, Sildar Hallwinter, and even the townmaster, Harbin West. Needless to say, the place is packed!

Everyone tries to speak to you and a few slip you items of good luck > horseshoes, a live frog (from Carp), hawk feathers, dried buckeyes, and a couple of rabbit's feet. Sildar gives you a hand-drawn map, showing the Sword Coast region with directions to Thundertree. "Bring Gundren back to us. I know you can do it."

Sister Garaele breaks off from holding onto Kael long enough to give you a thick folded cloth. Unwrapping the cloth, you find three vials filled with a greenish liquid. "For when you get hurt...as I'm sure you will," she says, worry etched on her pretty face."I wish there were more; that's my entire supply until I can send for more from my superiors."

Before you know it, it is time to go. The good folk of Phandalin follow you outside where Barthen has your wagon all loaded and ready to go, along with horses for those who rode them to town. Standing by the wagon is Linene from the trading coster. She and Barthen have you stocked with fresh water, rations, blankets, a few flasks of lantern oil (6 total), one old battered lantern, a small axe for chopping wood, and some feed for the horses.

Saying your goodbyes, you saddle up, or jump up in the wagon (who's driving?), and head up the road leading north out of the town. The townsfolk holler and wave as you leave and some of the kids run along side you for a few yards before returning to the safety of the green in town.

Just on the outskirts, you see a silver-haired half-elf and a large dog standing by the side of the road. "It's Daran Edermath," says Gerland. "He lives in a tiny cottage near the apple orchards east of town."
Daran waves you down and when you stop, he smiles. "Never liked crowds much. Still...I have a couple of things for your trip."
He loads a sack of apples in the wagon and a small keg. "Some cider...for washing the road dust from your throats."
He gives you a wink and then stands back and pats his dog on the head. "Safe travels now. And don't forget to check on Old Owl Well on your way back."

You move on, quickly leaving the small town of Phandalin behind as you travel the High Road north toward Neverwinter. The road is easy going and for about three days you make good time, passing a few wagons and travelers heading south, until you soon seeing the Neverwinter Woods on your right. Not wanting to go into Neverwinter itself, you veer off the road a few miles before you reach the city, cutting across the fields, following the map given to you by Sildar. Before too long, you see and hear the Neverwinter River. The river flows out of the bowels of the mountain crags and is always warm from the lava which flows underneath Mount Hotenow. When you see the river, you recall the following story:

Near the place where the Neverwinter River emerges from Neverwinter Wood stands the abandoned village of Thundertree. Once, this was a prosperous community on the outskirts of the forest, wealthy from the work of its woodcutters and trappers. Then thirty years ago, the eruption of Mount Hotenow to the north devastated Thundertree. In the wake of the natural disaster, a plague of strange zombies swept over the area, killing or driving off those who survived the eruption.

With that in your mind, your surprised to find a well-worn wagon track leading out of the forest, parallel to the river. Following the track, you head toward the woods. The sun is sinking into the late afternoon in the ever-cloudy sky, when you see ruins of a village tucked in the trees.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 4 > Thundertree

#2 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael is happy for the warm send off and the extra supplies. In the back of his mind he hopes the town will be safe until they return. He pats the bundle from Garaele and flushes a bit at the gesture.

Lets look for a good spot to camp and get it set up. We should have a two man watch I'd say just to make sure we all wake up.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan looks for a good camp site and offers, I'll take care of the animals and then can take first watch.

When they stop he does a walkabout to see what is in the area while it is still light, always staying within sight of the others.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland

"I will take last watch. This way I may take care of my morning devotions while still on watch."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sounds good! Kelton says.

Perhaps Loriston and I could take a watch together? No! Not like that!

I have been just dying to learn some of that hocus pocus that he does so well. I know it takes a lot of concentration and smarts. I just hope I can learn how to shoot sparks and climb up walls like that someday.

If Loriston is willing, Kelton could really be a great student if he would only assert himself more. :D

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Tired from the journey, the group begins to look for a place to camp for the evening. There is a strange fog hovering over the wooded areas and along the river, giving off tints of green here and there. The wind off the river brings a whiff of acrid chlorine to your nostrils, and makes your horses very skittish.
There is no movement within the trees, although you do think you hear faint sounds of wood being chopped or sawed somewhere within the darkened forest. Aslaan has ventured nearest to the woods, noting that everything is very green and overgrown, when suddenly, he sees two squirrels scatter along the branches of a tree, birds burst from cover and wing away deeper into the forest to hide, and he even hears a loud splash in the river.
The fog furls in on itself above his head and the tops of the trees shake as a large form sails over the top of his head! Back behind him, the horses begin screaming in terror, bucking and pulling at their reigns...as a what could only be a dragon banks and lands on the ground between the trees and the group!
Green_dragon.JPG
Green_dragon.JPG (21.92 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Peering down at Aslaan, the dragon snorts, blowing plumes of green out its nostrils. Craning its neck down to get a better look at the warrior, it turns its serpentine head slightly...and speaks. "What brings you to my home, warrior? Dragon hunting, are you? Are just merely in the wrong place at the wrong time?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

With an internal streaming monologue of: ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit... Aslaan straightens and clears his throat.

If those are my only two choices, oh great wyrm, then it is most definitely the latter. We have no interest in dragon hunting, nor in trespassing. We were going to make camp for the night and then move on.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton ponders the idea of trying his newly learned spell out on the dragon............NOT!

He slowly approaches his comrade so he won't have to die all alone. He walks as easily and as non-menacingly as possible towards the threat, holding his palms out before him.

He says nothing and awaits the dragons response to Aslaan.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston has heard of dragons occupying ruins before. He will delve through his knowledge to figure out if this is a famed dragon or if there's any information about Thundertree in relation to a dragon.

Insight Check: [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

Aslaan feels his bowels threaten to loosen as he stares at the dragon hovering over him. The presence of the beast is nearly overwhelming. He can feel its eyes on him, weighing him, he raises his head and sees that the dragon is not even looking at him. Rather, it's eyes are on his companions, the wagon, the horses.
The horses are going crazy!
Gerland and Kael are doing all they can to control them, but its not working, especially with the draft horses. Aslaan catches a glimpse of something in the river...and sees it is his horse, swimming as fast as it can for the opposite bank.
Kelton's horse screams and rears as it pulls away from where it is tied up, sprinting back down the track.

Kelton approaches slowly, his arms out in a non-threatening manner. The dragon snorts and smacks its lips and then looks back down at Aslaan.
"Make camp, were you? In my home? I don't think so. No, you are here to do more damage, to rape the forest and take what you can. You're in league with those others aren't you? Confess it now and I will eat you swiftly!"

Ioriston wracks his brain about dragons around Thundertree...but he can remember reading or hearing nothing about it.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan, whose post title color is a soothing, fraternal green and always has been, speaks...

I grew up in the woods and will have nothing to do with pillaging them. My companions feel the same otherwise I would not be traveling with them. These others sound like trash we want nothing to do with. You don't want us camping in your territory? We'll collect our panicked horses and move on then.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton musters up enough courage to finally speak.

We are NOT dragon hunters!!! And we have no intentions of mussing your wood oh great and powerful........what did you say your name is?

We actually came here to rid Thundertree of the horrible undead that roam this area. Are you in league with them? If not, we may be able to help each other out? You must have some reason for stopping us other than drooling over our delicious mounts, yes?

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael is too busy fighting with the horses to add much to the conversation but he does shout over
If we were in league with anyone we sure as hell wouldn't make camp in the home of the forest's protector! He pulls on the reigns of the draft horses desperately trying to keep them under control.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by hedgeknight »

The dragon cocks its head as Kelton is speaking, but still glances at the horses and the other companions now and then. "Help each other out? What makes you think one such as I, Venomfang, needs your help?"
The dragon huffs and thumps its tail in annoyance, pacing back and forth. "There are indeed undead in the wood, as well as...others who do not belong. My tower is near the back of the village. If you can get past the village 'guardians', I may not eat you...only just one of your horses. You have until dark to find me."

And with that, the dragon Venomfang launches into the air, swoops down on Aslaan's horse, driving it to the ground with its claws. The horse screams and the dragon snaps its neck easily, and then lifts off carrying the dead horse back to the woods where it disappears into the cloud of fog.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton wipes himself.

Well now, I would say that could have ended much worse. I have never seen on of those majestic creatures up close before. Truly amazing beasts, aren't they?

I don't know about the rest of you but, I think we better do as it says. Perhaps we better get to it right now if we only have until dark. I would suggest taking the shortest route through the town. We can stop to check things over on our way back out.

So, where is this town then?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan, seething, stands there staring at the ground where his horse was trampled and then carried off.

Talking to himself, barely above a whisper, I liked that horse. He trusted me to keep him safe.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

Gerland and Kael finally get the horses calmed down, throwing cloaks or empty sacks over the crazed eyes of the beasts, speaking to them soothingly.

Gerland then walks out to where Aslaan and Kelton are standing. "Sorry about your horse, Aslaan. But at least it wasn't us, thanks be to Lathander. What did the wyrm say?"

Waiting to hear from Kael and Ioriston...
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Venomfang has made our purpose clear. We must rid his village of the undead lest we deal with his wrath. The fate of our horse was only a sample of what will be in store for us should we falter. I have no reason to believe he was lying about sparing us.

Ioriston continues in a hush: We may also discover why our friend dragon fears the undead. Perhaps there is a power there that can mean his unmaking.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Grim, distant, Aslaan mumbles assent about pursuing the undead and quickly in order to make the horse murderer's deadline.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

Lets head for those buildings that we can make out in the distance. That has to be the forgotten town, right?

The noble fighter starts heading towards what he thinks is Thundertree.

We better get a move on it if we don't want to become dessert.

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”