Chapter 3 > Redbrand Hideout

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3 > Redbrand Hideout

#341 Post by hedgeknight »

The Crypts, Rd. 4 > Bloodletting!
Initiative Order > Skeletons (21), Ioriston (18), Kelton (17), Stitches (16), Gerland (7), Aslaan (5), Kael (3)

Gentlemen, as soon as I can get rid of this damnable skeleton we are about to have an encore performance of the bugbear show from earlier! Grab Kelton and let's meet where we came in, shall we? Aslaan shouts, trying to do just that > get rid of his skeletal foe, but his foe isn't cooperating. In fact, it is winning! With a clacking of its teeth, it slashes Aslaan across the neck, blood spurting on its rusty blade!
Skeleton attack vs. Aslaan: [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20, [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4
Aslaan cries out in shock and pain, continuing to flail at the skeleton...and miss.
As does Ioriston, who aims yet another frosty ray at the undead, missing its head by inches.

Kelton doesn't see the Redbrands step over him and enter the crypt proper, taking up positions behind the southernmost sarcophagus. Neither does Stitches see Gerland and Kael fighting for their lives mere feet away from his dead body.
(Need another Death Save for Kelton)

Blessed by Lathander, Gerland swings his mace again and scores another solid hit on his foe's shoulder (2 dmg). Angry and frustrated, the Redbrand retaliates with sword and dagger...but his blades are easily turned aside by the priest's armor.

Kael presses into the room beyond the doors and attempts to put his Redbrand foe down for good, but the heavily wounded man, manages to roll under the Brick's sword which sends sparks flying off the cold stone floor.
Kael attacks: [1d20] = 10, [1d10+3] = 9+3 = 12
Unfortunately, this leaves Kael overextended and off balance...and the wounded Redbrand takes full advantage. Kael hears the hiss of steel on leather and feels a pinch just above his right kidney as the Redbrand's blade slides in up to the hilt!
Redbrand 2 vs Kael: [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24, [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 Crit dmg: [1d6] = 5 Total dmg: 13

Aslaan cries out in agony and a woman's scream likewise echoes through the crypt. Ioriston hears both as he prepares his next action, but then he too finds himself crying out in pain as both of the Redbrand archers zero in on him.
Redbrands arrows: [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18, [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5, [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19, [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3

ACTIONS!!

Stats:
Aslaan is down 15 hp
Ioriston is down 8 hp
Kael is down 15 hp
Kelton is down 22 hp...and dying
Stitches > dead
Skeleton 1 > dead
Skeleton 2 > dead
Redbrand 1 > down 4
Redbrand 2 > down 12
Redbrand 3 > down 10
Last edited by hedgeknight on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#342 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#343 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

You fuckers! The left hand doesn't even know what the right hand is doing?! Glasstaff will find out about this, you idiots! Killing my friends just 'cause you don't know we're the new guys?!

With a strangled scream of frustration, Aslaan swings at the skeleton...again.
To hit: [1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22, damage with flail [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8

Using action surge: Aslaan drops his flail and throws an open flask of oil at the two miscreants hiding behind the southern sarcophagus. Immediately after, Aslaan begins to pull out his bow and a fire arrow.

Using bonus action to perform Second Wind: to heal hp =[1d10+2] = 9+2 = 11

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#344 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston will direct a Ray of Frost at one of the Redbrands that shot him:

Ray of Frost: [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7

Ray of Frost Damage: [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8

We need to end this quickly!!!
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by ybn1197 »

Spurred on by his previous success, Gerland will again swing at the Redbrand.

Mace attack: [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 Damage [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by hedgeknight »

The Crypts, Rd. 5 >
Initiative Order > Skeletons (21), Ioriston (18), Kelton (17), Stitches (16), Gerland (7), Aslaan (5), Kael (3)
*NOTE > I will be taking control of Kael for the duration of this melee.

You fuckers! The left hand doesn't even know what the right hand is doing?! Glasstaff will find out about this, you idiots! Killing my friends just 'cause you don't know we're the new guys?! Aslaan roars, blocking the skeleton's next attack. And with a strangled scream of frustration, the young warrior finally succeeds in smashing the skeleton with his flail! (8 dmg)
The animated bones stagger from the blow, but do not crumble like the others.

Hurting from the arrows, Ioriston turns his frosty ray on one of the Redbrand archers...but it is as ineffective as it was on the skeleton, missing the archer by several feet. The Redbrands return fire with one arrow missing the mage, but the other hitting him hard in the chest! Redbrands arrows: [1d20+4] = 5+4 = 9, [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7, [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16, [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
Ioriston gasps as blood fills his lungs and spots dance before his eyes. Could this be the end?

Gerland, spurred on by his success, attacks again, but this time his Redbrand ducks under his mace. And the man comes up slashing and stabbing, but the armored priest turns aside his deadly blades.

Kael the Brick gasps for breath and then with a grunt of effort, wheels around and crushes his Redbrand foe, killing the man with an axe chop to the chest! Kael attacks: [1d20] = 15, [1d10+3] = 3+3 = 6
He jerks his axe free and leans against the door facing...getting his second wind.
Second wind: [1d10+2] = 5+2 = 7

ACTIONS!!

Need one more death save for Kelton!

Stats:
Aslaan is down 15 hp
Ioriston is down 16 hp
Kael is down 8 hp
Kelton is down 22 hp...and dying
Stitches > dead
Skeleton 1 > dead
Skeleton 2 > dead
Skeleton 3 > down 8
Redbrand 1 > down 4
Redbrand 2 > dead
Redbrand 3 > down 10
Last edited by hedgeknight on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#347 Post by wordoftheoracle »

16 HP is all I have... What's the procedure?

Edit: I still have 1 hp left. Actions to be put in after X-Files.

Edit to the edit:

With what could potentially be his last breath, Ioriston declared between gasps:
"If... I'm... to... die... you... can... be... my... research... assistant... IN HELL!!!"

Ioriston points a frosty finger at the Redbrand one last time and lets forth a Ray of Frost:
Ray of Frost: [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6
Ray of Frost Damage: [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9

The dice truly hate me.
Last edited by wordoftheoracle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#348 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

Death Save [1d20] = 7 :x missed it by one? :shock:

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by ybn1197 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Kelton

Death Save [1d20] = 7 :x missed it by one? :shock:
No, you missed it by three. There are no modifiers with the death save. It truly is a 50/50 roll.

Gerland says a quick prayer to Lathander and swings again.

Mace attack: [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 Damage [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5
Extra Crit Damage: [1d6] = 6. Total of 11 hp damage to the Redbrand.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by hedgeknight »

The Crypts, Rd. 6 > Turning Point?

The battle begins to intensify as bodies start to pile up around the combatants; the tangy smell of blood thickens the already stale air of the crypt.
Aslaan blocks an attack by his skeletal foe, while Ioriston, weak from blood loss, fires another frosty ray at one of the Redbrand archers.
"If... I'm... to... die... you... can... be... my... research... assistant... IN HELL!!!"

The ray misses its intended target, and then the Redbrands return fire with arrows, one smashing into the stone wall near Ioriston's head, and the second driving home in his chest! Redbrand attack: [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18, [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5, [1d20+4] = 5+4 = 9, [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5
"You lead the way, bitch!" one of the Redbrand archers calls out, as Ioriston staggers and falls.

With a quick prayer to Lathander, Gerland attacks again, smashing his Redbrand foe in the side of the head. The man's neck cracks loudly and he crumples like a sack o' taters, dead before he hits the ground!

Emboldened by Gerland's success, Aslaan roars and attacks with his flail, smashing the skeleton in the skull and chest, ripping off its lower jaw and felling it finally! Aslaan attacks: [1d20+4] = 10+4 = 14, [1d8+2] = 4+2 = 6

With a guttural scream, Kael charges out of the doorway toward the Redbrand archers taking cover behind the southern sarcophagus. Seeing the bloodied brute heading their way, the archers nearly break and run, scattering as the Brick carves a corner off the tomb with his great axe, sparks and shards flying all around.

ACTIONS!!

Need a death save for Ioriston!
Need one more death save for Kelton!

Stats:
Aslaan is down 15 hp
Ioriston is down below 0...and dying
Kael is down 8 hp
Kelton is down below 0...and dying
Stitches > dead
Skeleton 1 > dead
Skeleton 2 > dead
Skeleton 3 > dead
Redbrand 1 > dead
Redbrand 2 > dead
Redbrand 3 > down 10
Redbrand 4 > uninjured
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#351 Post by wordoftheoracle »

PC History:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#352 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Death Save [1d20] = 17

Kelton feels his senses slowly coming back to him. Perhaps it is not his time to depart this plane of existence just yet.

He stays on the floor a few seconds, trying to regain his senses and catch his breath before attempting to help his friends out of this mess.
Can I use the "Second Wind" skill even though he was unconscious? Please? :lol:

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by ybn1197 »

With the two Redbrands before him dead, Gerland rushes over to Ioriston. "Lord of life, please breathe a portion of your spirit on Ioriston so that he may continue aiding in your divine plan." Cast Spare the Dying. Automatically stabilizes Ioriston.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Disgutedly putting his flail away, Aslaan retrieves his bow and fires at Redbrand 3.

That marching order may be revised, gentlemen!

To hit: [1d20+7] = 20+7 = 27, damage with longbow [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11

Shazam!

critical damage[1d8] = 3

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by hedgeknight »

The Crypts, Rd. 7 > Grinding to a Halt

Seeing Ioriston fall spurs Gerland into action. He runs to the dying mage's side and lays his hands on his companion.
"Lord of life, please breathe a portion of your spirit on Ioriston so that he may continue aiding in your divine plan."
The mage gasps aloud and groans with agony, fluttering his eyes; Gerland crouches over him, mace ready to protect him if need be.

Aslaan jams his flail back into his belt and retrieves his bow. He nocks, draws and fires at one of the Redbrand archers (#3), skewering the man with a fantastic shot to the throat! The man gags as he falls over dead...and then Kael the Brick bleeds the last remaining archer with a chop of his axe! Kael attacks: [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14, [1d10+3] = 4+3 = 7

The archer cries out and falls back, dropping his bow and throwing his hands up. "I give! I give! Please don't kill me!"

Kael hesitates and out of the corner of his eye, he sees Kelton roll into a painful sitting position.

And through the open doorway, where lie two dead Redbrands and the body of Stitches, come the sounds of cries for help...

Actions?

Stats:
Aslaan is down 15 hp
Ioriston is stabilized
Kael is down 8 hp
Kelton is stabilized
Stitches > dead
Skeleton 1 > dead
Skeleton 2 > dead
Skeleton 3 > dead
Redbrand 1 > dead
Redbrand 2 > dead
Redbrand 3 > dead
Redbrand 4 > down 7 hp
Winter is coming...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by ybn1197 »

The cries for help, do they sound like a man, woman, or child?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Kael, do you want to tie this man up while he answers some questions?

Aslaan nocks an arrow and aims at the man's head.

Where are the other men? What is in the next room? What is this room for? How can you be of help to us to justify not killing you?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by hedgeknight »

ybn1197 wrote:The cries for help, do they sound like a man, woman, or child?
Sound like a woman's voice...
coil23 wrote:Aslaan nocks an arrow and aims at the man's head.
Where are the other men? What is in the next room? What is this room for? How can you be of help to us to justify not killing you?
"Please don't kill me!" the man begs, crying now, pleading for his life. "There is no one else as far as I know. Glasstaff, he...he said to protect his retreat and we did and now...we're all dead! This is an old crypt. Believe it could be the old Tresendar family, I don't know. The other room," he points at the single doorway where the cries of help are coming from, "that is where we keep the prisoners. I never hurt nobody I swear! I just joined up last week! I want to go home! Please don't kill me! I can tell you anything you want to know about the hideout and the Black Spider!"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#359 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton shakes off his pain and slowly stands.

Second Wind [1d10] = 3

Not feeling very well at the moment, he is glad to hear the sniveling redbitch say that they were the last of the guards left alive. He walks over as the man is being bound.

We will let you live, but you will answer for your crimes against this town. I would suggest that you cooperate fully with us if you want any kind of leniency when this is all sorted out.

NOW!!! Get to your feet and lead the way to these prisoners of yours. We will let them tell us what kind of person that you are.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by hedgeknight »

Kael ties the man's hands behind his back and then the Redbrand complies with Kelton's demands. He leads Aslaan, Kelton, and Kael past the dead bodies of his companions (and Stitches) into the next room:

This long room is partitioned into three areas, with iron bars walling off the north and south. Filthy straw lines the floors of those cells, the hinged doors of which are secured by chains and padlocks. A pair of disheveled human women are held
in the cell to the south, while a human boy is confined to the north. All are dressed in plain gray tunics and have iron collars fitted around their necks.
A heap of discarded clothing is piled carelessly against the far wall.

When the women see you, they immediately start crying and asking to be released.

Folks are still badly wounded, and Ioriston is barely coherent.
Actions?

BTW, for defeating the Redbrands, skeletons, and rescuing the prisoners, everyone receives: 100 xp!
Attachments
Redbrand Hideout Cells.jpg
Redbrand Hideout Cells.jpg (514.82 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”