Chapter 3 > Redbrand Hideout

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 3 > Redbrand Hideout

#361 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

There is a room across from the secret door we haven't checked out. And we don't know what is beyond the double doors in the coffin room though two red brands did come through them. And...we need to recuperate. Ideas?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#362 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The weakened Kelton replies.

Perhaps we could take a short rest before going any further?

He looks to the chained females. Settle yourselves! You are now rescued from this misery. What can you tell us about this place and its inhabitants?

Kelton looks for any keys that might be hanging around to release the collars.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#363 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan looks around room for something to block the door if the group rests in this room.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland is currently out of healing spells.

Gerland looks to the three prisoners and scowls. "Free them. Now!"

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#365 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston wakes up and mumbles:"Did I at least hit the damned bastard who shot me? I think I hit him. Did I hit him? Where is he? I hit him, didn't I?"
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote:The weakened Kelton replies.
Perhaps we could take a short rest before going any further?
He looks to the chained females. Settle yourselves! You are now rescued from this misery. What can you tell us about this place and its inhabitants?
Kelton looks for any keys that might be hanging around to release the collars.
The woman grasps the bars of her cell and says, "My name is Mirna Dendrar and this is my daughter Nilsa. My son Nars is in the other cell. A few days ago, the Redbrands came to our house and brought us here. I don't know why > we are simple folk, woodcarvers like my husband. I was hoping he might be here too. His name is Thel > he has been missing for almost a tenday. Have you seen him? Where is he?"
The last question is directed to the lone ruffian.
The man lowers his head but says nothing.

Gerland looks to the three prisoners and scowls. "Free them. Now!"
"I don't have a key. It would be on one of those two...over there." He nods toward the two dead Redbrands in the doorway.

Kelton checks their bodies and indeed finds a set of keys. With it, he opens the cells and removes the collars from the Dendrars. The younger teenage boy runs to his mother and sister, hugging them, crying, grateful to be reunited. He glares at the lone Redbrand and looks at the man's dead companions with hot tears running down his face.
"Where...is...my...father?" Nars hisses, gritting his teeth in anger.

Ioriston suddenly jerks awake from his position on the floor. "Did I at least hit the damned bastard who shot me? I think I hit him. Did I hit him? Where is he? I hit him, didn't I?"
"No, you missed," growls the lone Redbrand. "But I didn't." He grins and suddenly the boy, Nars, leaps on him, kicking and pounding him with his fists.
"Where's my father? WHERE'S MY FATHER??"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#367 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan collected the red brands' weapons from the crypt room ands set them in a pile (far away from the captive red brand) in the jail room.

Aslaan stands nearby and lets the boy get some hits in before pulling him off.

Now, what is through those double doors in the south end of the Tresendar crypt? What is the room through the hallway north of the crypt? When are people coming back to this place?
And just to test how honest you are being, let's have a question on something we know- tell us about the Black Spider.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#368 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael's heart goes out to the kid and his family as he guesses the Nothic ate their father a few days ago.
Looking over the group he hopes that there are no more surprises, they aren't really up to it.

As Aslaan asks the questions Kael moves behind the prisoner and places his axe on the man's shoulder and wipes some of the blood off of it. Tell the kid what you did with his father before I chop your head off he says in a low growl.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#369 Post by wordoftheoracle »

I may be only marginally conscious at the moment, but know that there are worse things than a quick and clean death that we can inflict. I feel like a bound and stationary target is much harder for me to miss.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#370 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

As Kael speaks to the prisoner, Aslaan quietly takes his hammer and pliers from his set of carpenter's tools and lays it down near the captive's feet. Then he begins removing the man's boots, talking as if to himself, let's get access to these toes now.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#371 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton is disgusted by this mans demeanor right in front of the distraught family. He thinks about lending the boy his dagger so he can finish the scumbag off.

First you are faking crying so we let you live and then you brag about how well you did in the fighting and killing?

I suggest that you start telling us everything that you know before your world turns into pain.

The noble fighter helps to calm the newly freed prisoners as best he can as the others interrogate the guard.

Are you folks ok? We will get you all home real soon. Is there anything that I can do for you in the meantime?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland, shocked by the brutality exhibited by the group but hoping it is merely idol threats, quietly steps out of the room. He is neither willing nor capable of participating in the interrogation of the outlaw for fear of sinking down to that man's level.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#373 Post by wordoftheoracle »

I think we should bring him to the brink of death before we even begin questioning him. This way, he'll know how serious we are. It's only right and just that he experience what I did. He's so proud, let's let him see the results! In the likely event of his death, we can attempt to revive him and further question him.

If the group assents to this, Ioriston would like to aim a Ray of Frost at one of his legs. Do I still need to roll attack and damage or just damage?
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by hedgeknight »

After being flogged by the angered teenage boy, the Redbrand huffs and sulls up, refusing to answer Aslaan's questions. But then he feels the cold steel of Kael's axe against his neck and thinks otherwise; when Aslaan kneels in front of the ruffian with his tools and reaches for one of the Redbrand's boots, that does the trick.

"The double doors lead to our barracks and the main storage room. Glasstaff told us you would be coming and so...we got ready for you. The northern room? I think that's the armory. I've never been in there; I think the door's locked or magically barred or something. As for people coming back...probably later tonight. Of course, if you killed everyone in here already, there ain't that many of us left. The Black Spider...well, he hired us to run off any adventurers who might come to town and to hassle the locals. Sent some bugbears along for extra muscle. That's all I know, I swear. It's just what I was told."

Tell the kid what you did with his father before I chop your head off Kael says in a low growl. The Redbrand hesitates and then lowers his head. "We fed him to the big one-eyed creature in the crevasse a few days ago."
The women immediately begin to cry and the boy balls his fists up and would have went at the Redbrand again if not for Aslaan preventing him.
"We just did what Glasstaff told us! If you didn't, then YOU would end up in the crevasse! Please, I've told you everything I know."
coil23 wrote:Aslaan collected the red brands' weapons from the crypt room ands set them in a pile (far away from the captive red brand) in the jail room.
There four shortswords, four daggers, and four bows with almost full quivers; not counting the arrows sticking out of Ioriston :twisted:

Gerland leaves the room while Kelton gives the prisoners some water and perhaps some hard tack to gnaw on while they rest. Ioriston rattles on about torture and freezing off body parts, while his body slowly heals a bit.
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#375 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston, still recovering, slowly and deliberately aims a Ray of Frost directly at the bound Redbrand's face and addresses him calmly:

Excellent. If that's all the information you have, then I, for one, am done with you.

Ray of Frost: [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14

Ray of Frost Damage: [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9

Ioriston addresses the (hopefully dead) Redbrand in a chillingly calm and collected voice:
I'll see you in Hell. I suggest you save a spot down there for your master.

Ioriston looks at everyone else and smiles: At least I didn't miss! Now can we rest or go to town or something? I'd rather give our deceased friend here some time to calm down before joining him in the netherworld.
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by hedgeknight »

The Redbrand sneers at Ioriston while he is talking...but when the elven mage's finger tip begins to turn blue, the Redbrand's eyes bulge with fear. He opens his mouth to protest but the ray hits him full in the face and nothing comes out except a strangled hiss...and then nothing.
The Redbrand slumps to one side, his mouth and eyes still frozen open. The Dendrar women look at Ioriston in shock...but the boy wipes the tears from his face...and smiles.
"Could...could you teach me h-how to do that?" he asks Ioriston.
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#377 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston smiles. He hasn't had the opportunity to address the curiousity of the youth since the latter days of his arcane training.

Nars, was it? Your thirst for knowledge is admirable! Given the time, we might make a respectable wizard out of you, but for now, you need to worry about your safety. Stay with your mother for now. We will meet again and I will recommend your enrollment, if you are still interested.

He nods in the direction of Nars's mother.
PC History:

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#378 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan stares at the dead bandit for a moment in disappointment, gently squeezing one of the man's toes. Almost had me a little piggy.

Then, shrugging, he puts the tools away and gets up to sort through the weapons. Sorting arrows to fill his two quivers with 20 arrows each, he also makes three more fire arrows for a total of five fire arrows and separates them from the others. All other weapons he leaves in a pile, pleased he will be able to bring back a decent haul to the woman who was kind enough to make him a deal in advance.

Lying down along a wall and facing the door, Aslaan rests to recoup his energy. His body at rest but his mind thinking of the unexplored rooms they had yet to see. Armory, huh...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#379 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton makes the :shock: face as the elf murders the redbrand in very cold blood.

He is aghast but is simply too weak to do anything about it. He gives the family an exhausted look, hoping they understand the need for the party to rest for a short time.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by hedgeknight »

After a short rest (1 hour or 2 hours?), the companions begin to feel a bit better. Still sore and sweat-stained, but alive and better.

Here is an excerpt from the PHB on Short Rest:
A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.
A character can spend one or more Hit Dice at the end of a short rest, up to the character’s maximum number of Hit Dice, which is equal to the character's level. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the character’s Constitution modifier to it. The character regains hit points equal to the total. The player can decide to spend an additional Hit Die after each roll.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”