Chapter 2 > Phandalin

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 2 > Phandalin

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

As early evening approaches, the rutted track emerges from a wooded hillside, and you catch your first glimpse of Phandalin.
Phandalin.jpg
Phandalin.jpg (385.62 KiB) Viewed 5816 times

In the last three to four years, hardy settlers from the cities of Neverwinter and Waterdeep have begun the hard work of reclaiming the ruins of what was once a much older town. A bustling frontier settlement has grown up on the site of the old town, and is home now to farmers, woodcutters, fur traders, and prospectors drawn by stories of gold and platinum in the foothills of the Sword Mountains.
The town consists of forty to fifty simple log buildings, some built on old fieldstone foundations. More old ruins - crumbling stone walls covered in ivy and briars - surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Most of the newer buildings are set on the sides of the cart track, which widens into a muddy main street of sorts as it climbs toward a ruined manor house on a hillside at the east end of town.
As you approach you see children playing on the town green and townsfolk tending to chores or running errands at shops. Many people look up as you approach, but all return to their business as you go by.

Sildar seems much more at ease. "My friends," he says, "let us secure lodgings. I'm told the local inn is very quaint."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome to Phandalin! You're riding in at the top of the map where the tag reads "To Triboar Trail".
Feel free to post actions, interact with the townsfolk, follow the clues in your background, etc.
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 2 > Phandalin

#2 Post by wordoftheoracle »

"Are there any libraries or places of arcane study here, Sildar? I would love to learn something new and useful."
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

Sildar shrugs. "Don't know. First time visiting for me too. But...if there are, the locals will know. Once we get settled, you can ask around and see."
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael hops off the wagon. Yep, lets get a room sorted out. Then a beer or two. Maybe a few more...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton jumps from the wagon to stretch his back and legs.

I have heard a little about this place, although I've never been here before either.

Let's get settled in and then we can all discuss what our next move should be.

He looks to Kael and smiles, over a beer or two of course.

burlyjr
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by burlyjr »

I don't know much about this place either but hope they do a a good place to share a ale.
As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

From the map above, you can see how you enter the town and Barthen's Provisions is on your left. As you may recall, you were to deliver the wagon to Barthen's. ;)
Just a little ways on, right before you get to the Town Green, you'll find the Stonehill Inn on your left; just across from the Shrine of Luck.
And you can split up if you wish...
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Computer +1 »

While the others go to drop off gear from the wagon Kael heads straight to the inn. A place to sleep and a beer are is two main concerns. After that gets sorted then he will see about picking up some supplies and a new knife or two.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

For those going to the inn...

In the center of town stands a large, newly built roadhouse of fieldstone and rough-hewn timbers. The common room is filled with locals nursing mugs of ale or cider, all of them eyeing you with curiosity.

A short, friendly-looking fellow hails you from the bar area. He is dressed in what one might call "innkeeper's garb" with stout britches and an apron around his waist. "Toblen...Toblen Stonehill at your service! Looking for rooms are ya?"

Sildar gives a nod and Toblen says, "I have seven rooms available at 5 silver a night. Meals are 2 silver extra with whatever you drink added on top of that. Can I get you gents some rooms then?"

Aslaan, Ioriston, Kelton, & Stitches >
Don't forget about Baer's body in the wagon...
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael fishes out two gp from a pocket and hands it over to the innkeep. Toblen I am Kael. Here is for the room, a meal and my first beer. He plops himself on a barstool and places his axe on the bar in front of himself. I plan on downing this beer and then seek out a new knife and, gods willing something more comfortable to trek about it he waves a hand at his chain mail. Dressing like a metal fisherman's net makes a man thirsty! He takes a look around the room. This seems like a friendly town, me father has mentioned passing through before.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

Once the group arrives at the green, Gerland will wander over to the Shrine of Luck, curious to see if it is dedicated to Tymora or if it is set as a polytheistic shrine. Once he has recited some prayers (general prayers of good fortune if to Tymora or normal daily prayers if it is polytheistic,) Gerland will make his way to the inn. If he sees the others sitting together he will join them, otherwise he will sit at the bar. "A bowl of stew and a cider please," he will ask of the innkeeper.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton will also pay for his room and meal.

Before we settle in for the evening, I want to head over and return the stolen goods to there rightful owners before something else happens to us. I would also like to take Baer to the chapel to see if they will take care of him for us.

I wouldn't mind coming up with some kind of memorial as well if we can afford it.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Belkregos »

Stitches buys a bottle of hard liquor sitting in a corner drinking not paying attention to anything until Kelton mentions taking care of Baer and tries to stand up
he nods
Baer would like that...
he walks out and sits at the steps of the inn waiting on Kelton so they can go and take care of Baer, he continues drinking
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

burlyjr
Scout
Scout

#14 Post by burlyjr »

Aslaan will get with Stitches and Kelton and take care of the body of Baer. After this is done he will take care of the wagon and all the goods.
As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote:Kael fishes out two gp from a pocket and hands it over to the innkeep. Toblen I am Kael. Here is for the room, a meal and my first beer. He plops himself on a barstool and places his axe on the bar in front of himself. I plan on downing this beer and then seek out a new knife and, gods willing something more comfortable to trek about it he waves a hand at his chain mail. Dressing like a metal fisherman's net makes a man thirsty! He takes a look around the room. This seems like a friendly town, me father has mentioned passing through before.
Toblen gladly takes the gold and calls for Elsa, a barmaid, to bring Kael a beer. Toblen then disappears in the back and returns with a key. "For your room; #6."
Elsa returns with Kael's beer and says, "So, you're an adventurer, eh? Daren Edermath, the orchard keeper, is a former adventurer hisself. You know him?"

"Adventurer, did ya say?"pipes in disheveled fellow in dirty clothes. "Might be some work for ya in town. I hear tell the Orc raiders have been spotted on the Triboar Trail and the townmaster is looking fer fellers to run 'em off!"

Sildar pays his coin as well, getting room #7. With a weary nod to the innkeeper, the battered warrior retreats to his room.

ybn1197 wrote:Once the group arrives at the green, Gerland will wander over to the Shrine of Luck, curious to see if it is dedicated to Tymora or if it is set as a polytheistic shrine. Once he has recited some prayers (general prayers of good fortune if to Tymora or normal daily prayers if it is polytheistic,) Gerland will make his way to the inn.
A young elven woman greets Gerland as he steps inside the small shrine constructed of whitened ruins stones. "Tymora's blessings on you. I am Sister Garaele. All faiths are welcome here...and all donations accepted." Her smile is warm and she's not unattractive, although she looks tired and walks with a slight limp, favoring her right leg.
"I don't know you. When did you arrive in town?"

Stitches buys a bottle of hard liquor (5 sp) and when Kelton pays for his room and meal (Toblen gives you a key to room #5), he joins the warrior and Aslaan as they return to the wagon to take care of the goods and to see about Baer.
Ioriston is waiting by the wagon to keep the onlookers at bay, when his companions arrive. Together they head to the shrine...and find Gerland already there in conversation with a young elven woman.
The woman sees them coming and welcomes them, saying, "Greetings in Tymora's name. What can I...oh my! Is that a...body in your wagon?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did I miss anybody? Please deduct the appropriate coins from your sheet. Lots of good stuff going on! I love small towns!
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton sees the good looking elven priestess and flicks his hair from his eyes.

Greetings yourself! And to answer your question, yes, I'm afraid it is a body miss. The body of a fallen friend of ours. We were hoping to find someone who could take care of a proper burial for us. Do you take care of such things here pray tell? The fighter jingles his new found coin for her to hear and smiles a bit too much for such a dour conversation.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Computer +1 »

hedgeknight wrote: Toblen gladly takes the gold and calls for Elsa, a barmaid, to bring Kael a beer. Toblen then disappears in the back and returns with a key. "For your room; #6."
Elsa returns with Kael's beer and says, "So, you're an adventurer, eh? Daren Edermath, the orchard keeper, is a former adventurer hisself. You know him?"

"Adventurer, did ya say?"pipes in disheveled fellow in dirty clothes. "Might be some work for ya in town. I hear tell the Orc raiders have been spotted on the Triboar Trail and the townmaster is looking fer fellers to run 'em off!"

Sildar pays his coin as well, getting room #7. With a weary nod to the innkeeper, the battered warrior retreats to his room.
Kael graciously accepts the beer from Elsa and takes a deep pull. He responds in a friendly way An adventurer? Seems like thats another word for hungry, homeless and more likely to get killed. I'd rather have a better title like, World's Greatest Lover or Excessively Rich! He laughs and takes another swig of beer, its cool refreshing taste satisfying him greatly. He winks at the barmaid and says Names Kael though some folk call me Brick.

His opening line is somewhat interrupted when the dirty guy pipes in. Orcs you say? Well that could be a bit of fun to see em' off. Or a bit of trouble. Never sure which one yer gonna get when you take on something new. He drains the rest of the beer and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. I'll be back for another later, lemme see yer townmaster and all. If she is looking at him Kael will spare another wink and ask her which way both the townmaster and the local shop are at.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Kelton sees the good looking elven priestess and flicks his hair from his eyes.

Greetings yourself! And to answer your question, yes, I'm afraid it is a body miss. The body of a fallen friend of ours. We were hoping to find someone who could take care of a proper burial for us. Do you take care of such things here pray tell? The fighter jingles his new found coin for her to hear and smiles a bit too much for such a dour conversation.
Sister Garaele cocks an eyebrow at Kelton's disposition but then says, "I will gladly preside in laying your companion to rest. There is a local cemetery and you can hire two local lads to do the digging. Was your friend a person of faith?"
Winter is coming...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ybn1197 »

hedgeknight wrote:A young elven woman greets Gerland as he steps inside the small shrine constructed of whitened ruins stones. "Tymora's blessings on you. I am Sister Garaele. All faiths are welcome here...and all donations accepted." Her smile is warm and she's not unattractive, although she looks tired and walks with a slight limp, favoring her right leg.
"I don't know you. When did you arrive in town?"
"May Lathander's Light always shine brightly sister. My name is Gerland. I just arrived this very day with a few other travelers from the Triboar Trail. It seems they had a poor encounter and..."
hedgeknight wrote:The woman sees them coming and welcomes them, saying, "Greetings in Tymora's name. What can I...oh my! Is that a...body in your wagon?"
Gerland clears his throat politely, more from a lack of anything to say than to attract attention to himself. "Yes. That, uhm, would be that travelers I was speaking of."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

hedgeknight wrote: Sister Garaele cocks an eyebrow at Kelton's disposition but then says, "I will gladly preside in laying your companion to rest. There is a local cemetery and you can hire two local lads to do the digging. Was your friend a person of faith?"
Most excellent miss. Now, what about a marker or a memorial of sorts.

I'm afraid that I can't really say if he had the faith. If he was religious, he didn't talk about it.

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”