Chapter 2 > Phandalin

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2 > Phandalin

#201 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Aslaan
Aslaan, curious upon seeing Kelton walk in with a halfling boy, picks up his meal and takes it over to Kelton's table to find out what this is about.
To the boy, "What all did you see after you found this entrance?"
"Welp, I was playing 'Knights & Maidens' in the woods south of the old manor place. I had found me a thick branch as my spear and I was about ta skewer the dragon and save the fair maiden when I slipped and fell and rolled down a small hill and landed right smack in the middle of a thicket! And the thicket was hiding a secret tunnel! I hunkered down and peeked through the branches and saw a couple a big, ugly bandits come out of the tunnel and meet with a pair of Redbrands. I thought sure as the world they would see me, but they didn't. And I watched 'em walk off and the bandits go back inside, and then I high-tailed it outta there and came home! I'd bet my left arm them Redbrands have a hideout under the old manor. I can take ya back ta the tunnel if ya want!"
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by hedgeknight »

Phandalin, The Stonehill Inn, Early Morning

As Kelton and Aslaan talk with Carp, and the rest of you finish your breakfast, Sildar Hallwinter comes through the front door and seeing you, grabs a chair and pulls it up near your tables.
"Good morning, friends. I hope you are well rested. What are your plans for the day?"

"Might want to ask them what happened after you went to bed," says the innkeeper's wife, Trilena, handing Sildar a steaming mug of spiced cider.
The knight from Waterdeep frowns and then looks at you questioningly until Sister Garaele pipes in and tells him all about your fight with the Redbrands, and how you plan on going to find their hideout.

He listens with a serious look on his face, waiting for anyone else to chime in before he speaks. "Well, guess I should have stayed awake and not missed all the excitement." You can tell by the tone in his voice that he is not pleased with what he has heard.
"I spoke with Harbin West this morning and told him I would be taking over the governance of the town for awhile, at least until some semblance of law and order as been established in Phandalin. Then he told me about the...melee behind the bell tower last eve. I also spoke with the Redbrand prisoner. Before this, I spoke to some locals who told me about the man I've been looking for, Iarno Albrek, a fellow member of the Lord's Alliance. Seems he disappeared while exploring the area around the old Tresendar Manor a couple of months back, shortly after arriving in Phandalin. I'd like for you to investigate the manor and surrounding area; see if you can find Iarno and bring him back...or what's left of him, if something killed him. He's a short, dark-bearded human wizard in his thirties."
"More importantly, I'm concerned about the fate of my friend, Gundren Rockseeker. I have no idea where this Cragmaw Castle is located, where he is being held captive, but you might be able to get some goblins to tell you...if you pressure them just right. You might be able to find the castle by searching the lands along the Triboar Trail where these goblin raiding parties seem to come from. Find the goblins, you might be able to find the location of Cragmaw Castle, and thus, liberate our mutual friend, and your benefactor, Gundren. He and his brothers have a destiny to fulfill and I would like to see them find the lost mine Wave Echo Cave and restore it to its glory."

He sighs and stands up. "That's more than I've said at one time in many a day. Better have another cider, my good lady, if you don't mind." He then turns back to the group. "So, where do you want to begin?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Alright fellers > it's about time to kick this game into another gear! A big welcome to coil23 > he will be taking over Aslaan. You'll need to make sure you have everything you need for your next adventure. Remember, Barthen and Linene (Lionshield Coster), and several other townsfolk have offered to help you if you will take care of the Redbrands.
Also, don't forget your personal quests in your background stories.
Additionally, I linked the side quests you know about here
> viewtopic.php?f=274&t=5122

Actions!
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Assuming everyone joins back up and trades information, Aslaan says in a quiet aside to Kelton
"This Iarno wizard disappears here and shortly after the thugs are led by a new wizard? Makes me wonder..."

I am not sure what my money situation is at the moment but I want to get the following items before we head out:
flail (1d8, bludgeon)
rags to thread through flail chain- enough to dampen sound but not enough to hinder movement
3 flasks of oil
2-3 handfuls of rags, several already ripped into strips
a second quiver of 20 arrows
healing kit
extra string for longbow

To everyone
"How do we want to approach? The secret entrance seems like the best option to try to maintain what surprise we have left. And do we want to use Kelton's disguise idea?"

P.S. Dammit! I wanted to be able to ask the halfling if he had played a knight or a maiden."
Last edited by coil23 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#204 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Let's scout this secret entrance to see what we can find! I miss our thief. He would be able to sneak into this secret entrance and give us the needed intelligence with style.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Aslaan
I am not sure what my money situation is at the moment but I want to get the following items before we head out:
flail (1d8, bludgeon)
rags to thread through flail chain- enough to dampen sound but not enough to hinder movement
3 flasks of oil
2-3 handfuls of rags, several already ripped into strips
a second quiver of 20 arrows
healing kit
extra string for longbow
You can go ahead and add these to your character sheet, assuming you would be able to supply yourself at either Barthen's Provisions or the Lionshield Coster quite easily. Same goes for anyone else who wants some supplies.
As for gold, Aslaan donated nearly all he had to bury Baer Battlehammer > a dwarven companion who died in the goblin hideout when the group rescued Sildar. In repayment for all the donations, Sister Garaele will supply the healing kit.
Linene at the Coster will donate the arrows if you agree to bring her any weapons you find or take from the Redbrands.
:)
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#206 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton looks to Aslaan with one raised brow.

It is as if you have read my mind Aslaan. Great deduction my friend!

I also agree that we could use our little friend Stiches at a time like this. Carp! Do you know where your cousin is?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by hedgeknight »

"He spent the night at the farm. Came in all bloody and ragged. Ma cleaned him up and put him ta bed. I haven't seen him this morning."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#208 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton speaks up to Sildar and the group.

Then perhaps we should get the fine folks here to bag up a couple of breakfasts for our friend and his auntie. We need to go have a talk with our little thief to see if he knows anything he hasn't said yet and to find out if he plans on accompanying us.

Sildar, is there anything else that you can tell us about these redbands or about Tresendar Manor?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Sildar, is there anything else that you can tell us about these redbands or about Tresendar Manor?[/dialog]
"Wish I could. I'm not a local and I doubt any of them have been around long enough to see the demise of the Tresendar family. Never heard of the Redbrands until last night."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

"Breakfasts to go and thief visitin' it is then."

Aslaan attempts to make impatient look like cheerful.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by hedgeknight »

With breakfasts either eaten or taken along, your group follows Carp back to the Alderleaf farm out on the eastern edge of town. As you arrive at the farmhouse, a middle-aged halfling woman is waiting for you on the porch. She is breaking beans and smoking a thin, corncob pipe.
"Looking fer Simon, ain't cha? Well, yer too late. He high-tailed it out early this morning. Said he was headed "to make things right."
What do ya think me meant by that?"
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by hedgeknight »

Carp looks at the group and then says, "I bet he went to the old manor. The elf," he points at Ioriston, "said he wanted to scout the secret entrance. I can take ya there right now! It ain't very far from here."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#213 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

If he went there alone we need to go there right now! Who knows what kind of trouble he has gotten himself into.

He sets the bagged food down on the porch and nods at Carps mother.

I know you will know what to do with this, ma'am. Thank you for the information.

Lead the way Carp!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by hedgeknight »

After a kiss and a hug from his mother, which he grimaces, but doesn't really wipe away, Carp heads out around his house, through an old wall of ruins where the town's limits used to be in times long past, and into the wood beyond. The rest of the group follows along and Carp moves assuredly through the thickets and trails, remembering the way easily...as if he's been down this trail a hundred times.
Pretty soon, he points to a thicket and a the group can see a trail leading through the middle of it and into a cavern at the base of a cliff.
"That there's the entrance, I reckon. I...I ain't coming with ya. But Tymora's blessings on ya and I'll be waiting when ya return." Carp says, clearly nervous about going any closer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Alright fellers > I need everyone to check in and let me know they are ready to roll! If your character is a spellcaster, I need spells for the day. If you purchased any extra equipment, please list that on your character sheet.
I will post again when I hear from 3 players > and will start a new thread entitled "Redbrand HIdeout."
Let's do this!!
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Longbow in hand, arrow nocked...

Let's do this.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#216 Post by Computer +1 »

Kael shuffles along to try to find Stitches but his head is elsewhere. He keeps thinking about the course of the previous day and he can't quite wrap his head around everything. On one hand he almost died, on another he got to bed a beautiful elven lass. On one hand he did his best to be a hero, on another he proved how much he had to learn. It seems to Kael that the line between glory and death was razor thin and not quite what he was expecting.

When Carp says he isn't going any farther it brings Kael back to the moment. Ummmm thanks Carp, we will take it from here lad. He slips out a knife and hands it to Carp. If anyone sees you just run. An' if we aint back after a bit then you get outta here and tell Garaele we tried our best.

LETS DO THIS!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by hedgeknight »

"Drinks are on me!" yells Halia Thornton, and that elicits another round of cheers and applause.
And the crowd pushes you along toward the Stonehill Inn, sending a runner ahead to tell Toblen to get ready for a party!
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#218 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton speaks up over the croud.

Yes, yes, it is true! We have uprooted the thugs that were plaguing your fair town! However, our work here may not yet be completely finished.

The young noble clears his throat and then smiles when he sees the halfling lad up in the tree.

Did anyone actually see Glasstaff as he exited the manor? We had to ki......um, eliminate a few of his hired hands in there but we were not yet successful in taking out their leader.

Any more information that someone might have could prove quite useful in ending this threat permanently!

The fighter wants to return to his room to change out of his filthy, bloodstained clothing more than anything else he can think of right now.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by hedgeknight »

Several townsfolk speak up saying they have not seen hide nor hair of him. Others chime in saying good riddance and worse to him. Still others ask about the old Tresendar Manor > wondering if it should be burned or destroyed for good so that no more creatures can move in.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#220 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Speaking quietly just to our group, didn't we search just underneath the manor? Maybe Glasstaff is in the manor proper. And that hangout for redbrands in town- do we need to clear out that place too?

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”