Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

#161 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:Does Uilon know what "the green" means?
Yes, it means the elemental world. Druids learn to "communicate" with nature, especially wild animals, birds, insects, amphibians, etc. And more powerful druids can communicate with plants and trees.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#162 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton speaks under his breath.

This guy is even less cheery than the trees that just tried to kill us.

He allows the druid to continue his dialogue.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by hedgeknight »

Gerland Lesbros

The half-elven cleric walks up to Kelton. Sweat runs down his face, but he's grinning. "Wondering where his druid lover is hiding the egg? You know they have something planned for Flora. Seems like they are stalling. What say you, Aslaan? Ioriston?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan's eyes narrow in concentration, or in feigned concentration because in truth he is not sure what is going on. Oh so quietly, Ummm....probably? What do you have in mind? And I would like to make sure we are as close as possible to the tree line before we make the green folk angry again.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#165 Post by wordoftheoracle »

I would like to abstain until I have more information. On the intent of this figure. If his intent was malevolent, he probably would have expressed it through action already.

Ioriston pauses...

Unless they are truly stalling...
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton looks at their cleric with uncertainty.

My great aunt always used to say, "stall them with kindness". I never understood what that meant until now.

Why would they attack us at the onset of our arrival, only to try to help us out now?

I think you are right my friend! This does seem like a stall tactic!

Shall we advance?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by hedgeknight »

Gerland Lesbros

The cleric listens to his companions, and looks ahead at the bear/druid. "I don't want to get us all killed or...or turned into something...unnatural, but we came here to get the dragon's egg and for Uilon to get a message to the leader of his order. Maybe if we ask to see the egg, at least we'll know where it is so when we run out of here with our tails between our legs, we can tell Flora where to find it. But...that's just my opinion. What say the rest of you?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Quietly, Well, he did say we passed the guardians of the gate. The front guard is usually meant to keep people out no matter what. If you get past that then you're either ok to come through or enough of a force to treat with. So this may not be an ominous stall.

What if we say we are serving another servant of the green? That we are charged with bringing something back to her. Her mission is to enforce the return to nature of another den of humanity so we are allied forces after all. If we can have what she wants, we will be on our way. Then the green is served and grown in two areas instead of just one. If they give it to us and let us leave in peace that means their focus is truly on serving the green. If they don't- that proves they are only after selfish goals and are betraying the True Mother (Nature).

Aslaan shrugs, I know it all sounds kind of oily but it all happens to be true. We shouldn't be rocked back onto our heels- they should. Let them prove themselves to us, not the other way around. We are here on a mission for the green- in two ways.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by hedgeknight »

Gerland Lesbros

The half-elf priest nods and smiles. "Sounds like a plan. What do you think Ioriston? Kelton? Wish Uilon was a druid so he could talk to this...guardian or whatever it is."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#170 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton nods his head in agreement as Aslaan speaks.

That idea seems sound. Let us inquire about the egg and see what we can learn.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#171 Post by Jack »

Uilon still clearly bristling at the mention of Maegera, asks the other druid "Grouff growl? Grrrawr Ffft-roar grr growl?", but then faces the wolf.

Translation of what was said to the other druid who understood him before:
"What is your name? Where is Venomfang's egg?"
Ready attack on the wolf if either it or the other druid looks like attacking.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#172 Post by wordoftheoracle »

The plan seems sound enough. Let us see what happens.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:Uilon still clearly bristling at the mention of Maegera, asks the other druid "Grouff growl? Grrrawr Ffft-roar grr growl?", but then faces the wolf.
The guardian druid is silent for a moment or two. He looks behind him and then back to your group, specifically at the great bear.
"In this grove, I am called Gareth. This was not always my name, but who I was before the Call is no longer important. The same is true for you, Uilon. And any others who hear and answer."

The druid, Gareth, turns again and looks behind him and then turns back. "The egg of the dragon...and the man who stole it...is down the left path."
Gareth sweeps his staff in front of him and the vines and thick tangles part to your left, revealing a narrow path you didn't see nor would have found. "Should you wish to see what happens to those who violate the green, the left path is your choice."

Gareth then sweeps his staff to the right and another path opens through the brambles. "The right path leads to the inner grove of my Lady. Her ceremony is almost at its culmination. Once complete, the cleansing of Neverwinter will begin. Should you wish to join with her, the right path is your choice."

The druid and the wolf then take a few steps toward you and stop. "Choose."
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#174 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston speaks up:

Um... Gareth, I wanted to clarify a few things. First, what is the nature of this cleaning? I have a sneaking suspicion that it's more than just burning some sage and planting valuable trees. Second, what do you mean by violating the green? Did the one who took the egg violate the green? I'm trying hard to understand this.
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by hedgeknight »

Gareth turns his head to face the elven mage. "The cleansing is nothing more than the reclamation of this city. Humans have raped this land long enough! The Cataclysm was the harbinger and Mount Hotenow's eruption was the forerunner. My lady calls forth the elemental lords to reclaim this land! Oh, what is to come will be glorious!"

The trees shudder and the vines and brambles wreath and twist as if in response. The wolf looks agitated, and Gareth is pacing back and forth, clearly getting worked up.

"As for the egg...it's thief violated the green when he began his lumber operations in the ruined town of Thundertree. As if no one would notice! So, when he tried to reenter the city with his prize, I was there, waiting, and he was delivered into my hand."

This information may ring a bell with some of you...
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#176 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston pauses, waiting for the cue of the Druid. His arcane background makes it very difficult to decide between the two paths as he would like to know more than is probable about both.
PC History:

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#177 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

While the druid takes the lead in the negotiations, Aslaan tries to prepare for the worst in the near future. He discreetly offers a flask of oil to Kelton. With a significant look he adds, we may be sharing a drink soon so you want to hold onto this for now?

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#178 Post by Jack »

Uilon feels such hatred towards Gareth for turning his back on the balance of elements, that it takes him a moment to compose himself and not just bite him.

Feeling that both pathways are traps, that he would be unlikely to take out this entire nest of fire elemental former-druids on his own, and that his traveling companions have some business with Venomfang's egg; he turns back to them, ready to follow them, but keeping an eye on the wolf and Gareth.

Ready attack, should the wolf or Gareth attack.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#179 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton finally speaks up.

Well, since I am one of those land raping humans, I say we go and get what we came for! I will hear no more of this talk of taking over what's left of MY city!!!

He takes the flask from Aslaan and begins to lead the way down the left path, giving Gareth the evil eye the whole way.

Trap or no trap, I'm not listening to this jerkoff another minute! I think they fear what we could do to their little group here! If that is so, it is rightly so! Let us go my brothers! Let's go find that egg and get out of this place! And if we are marching to our deaths, well then......I say that it is a good day to die!

The Eldritch mage marches forward. Looking back at the others as he does so, he tries to discern if his speech had any effect on Gareth or his pet.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#180 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan puts on a grim mask, partly for the antagonists' benefit and partly to hide his confusion at the newly chosen path. But I thought we decided...

No matter, likely a trap at either end. He follows Kelton.

What an odd moment for his mother's teachings on courtesy and nature to erupt but he suddenly adds to the man, this glade is so beautiful and peaceful- it can't help but bring my heart to the same place. 'twould be a shame if it did not touch your heart the same, sir. The trees have a peace unto themselves simply by being. They live in the Tao and by doing so they have no place for bitterness or rancor at what lies over the next hill. Nature can be violent, yes, but it is wild by nature and wild in aim. Directed enmity- that is a human construct. You pollute your spirit and distance yourself from that which you revere if you stoop to such base human tactics. But I leave you in peace, the peace shared with me by the true nature here. Another part of him suddenly wilts in dismay as he realizes he no longer wants to use fire anywhere in here.

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”