Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

#101 Post by Jack »

Uilon smiles when he sees the grove, relieved to be away from the horrors offered by the vendors.

Not waiting for his cautious travelling companions, he walks to the oak, calling out in Druidic:
"Sister Haeredeth, I have news from Thundertree."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by hedgeknight »

The Black Grove

Aslaan and Kelton carefully scan the grove entrance for signs of danger but see nothing amiss. Ioriston is even more cautious, and invokes a magical detection spell after attempting to pick up traces of the arcane...to no avail.
Upon completion of the simple incantation, Ioriston grabs his head as if it is about to explode! Gasping, the elven mage falls to his knees as his mind is overwhelmed with arcane power.
(See PM in your folder)

Uilon, not waiting for his cautious companions, strides toward the oak, calling out in the language of druids.

Suddenly, the oak shudders and a loud groan emanates from it...and to the shock of the Uilon and his companions, the aged sentinel begins to move! Thrashing its upper limbs, the oak attempts to pull up its own roots...but somehow it cannot! Another loud groan, perhaps filled with frustration, sends chills up the spines of those watching.
Then, from the right, deeper into the forest, you see a lone figure watching you. Had it been there the whole time?
TreantTotem.jpg
TreantTotem.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 237 times
For several long seconds, no one moves or says anything. Then, the figure, its voice strained as if without practice, speaks! "What brings you to the grove of my mistress? Who are you to speak her name?"
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by Jack »

Uilon speaks in Druidic:
"I am Uilon Calithil, arc of the moon. Formerly Torion Calabara, student of brother Reidoth the Elder. Formerly arc of the bears from the Misty Forest, and student there of sister Tam Mei."
He switches to Common, "My travelling companion", pointing to Ioriston "fought alongside Reidoth, and I invited him and the others here per the hospitality rules of the great circles."

Does Uilon know what specifically made Ioriston fall to his knees? What does he know about trees thrashing and groaning like this?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan stays perfectly still and watches both the groaning tree and the figure that he somehow missed in his scan. He is glad that Uilon is here to speak for them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#105 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton is equally surprised at seeing this new figure. He is also quite happy to have Uilon along to do the talking in this situation.

The fighter stays quiet and scans the woods again, hoping that there aren't others around that he missed. He then moves to see if there is anything that he can do for his ailing master.
Perception Check [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9
What is that old adage about not seeing trees through the forest or whatever? :D

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#106 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston barely holds onto consciousness... On his hands and knees, he whispers under his breath for those close to him, in a marginally audible whisper:
Dont... Trust... The Trees...
With that, he drops to the floor with exhaustion, remembering every last piercing detail of his vision...
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:Uilon speaks in Druidic:
"I am Uilon Calithil, arc of the moon. Formerly Torion Calabara, student of brother Reidoth the Elder. Formerly arc of the bears from the Misty Forest, and student there of sister Tam Mei."
He switches to Common, "My travelling companion", pointing to Ioriston "fought alongside Reidoth, and I invited him and the others here per the hospitality rules of the great circles."
The figure does not move as he speaks.
"The green tells me you speak the truth. The name of Tam Mei is known here. The name of Reidoth the Betrayer is known here as well. If you are indeed his student, how does my mistress know you have not come to betray her? Why are you here, youngling?"

Kelton and Aslaan see no further beings within their vision. The forest appears to grow darker and thicker beyond the speaker and the entrance to the grove. Ioriston mutters something about not trusting the trees before collapsing from mental exhaustion. To look at the elven mage you would think he has been through some extreme exertion > he is sweaty and shaking.
Does Uilon know what specifically made Ioriston fall to his knees? What does he know about trees thrashing and groaning like this?
He thinks there could be something affecting the elf's mind, but he's not sure. He's heard (and likely seen treants), but this tree is not acting like that at all. It's as if it is angry at its state.
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#108 Post by Jack »

"I don't know who or what was betrayed." Uilon says to the figure. "I came here to tell Haeredeth news from Thundertree. If she doesn't trust former students of Reidoth, and won't say why, then I have nothing to tell her."

He backs out of the grove, doffs his shield, and will try to help Ioriston up with his left hand.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston gratefully accepts Uilon's aid. As he is getting up, he whispers to him:
They have the egg...
Leaning on Uilon, Ioriston addresses the figure:

Good sir, we would like to know what made our late Druid friend a traitor lest we offend? Why is Reidoth known here as The Betrayer?
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by coil23 »

Ioriston's mysterious collapse only adds to Aslaan's disquiet. He holds his tongue but keeps an eye on their flank as the others speak to the strange figure. He listens to this person speaking, trying to discern its motives and veracity. At this point, who can they trust?

insight check [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

For the first time ever, Kelton knows enough to keep his mouth shut.

He keeps an eye out behind the group so as not to get hemmed in by anything

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by hedgeknight »

wordoftheoracle wrote:Leaning on Uilon, Ioriston addresses the figure:
Good sir, we would like to know what made our late Druid friend a traitor lest we offend? Why is Reidoth known here as The Betrayer?
The figure moves slightly, turning its head toward the elven mage. The branches and leaves which appeared to be attached to it, shiver as it moves.
"His unnatural affection for creatures not of the forest led him astray, estranged him from his true calling. Speak the truth > what brings you to the grove of my mistress? What news have you for her ears? Speak and she shall hear...through me."
coil23 wrote:insight check [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20
PM coming...
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#113 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston weakly presses the entity for an answer:
What creatures did he esteem that were not of the forest?
PC History:

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Muttering just quietly enough for his companions to hear, this thing is an abomination-I can sense it. And the vines coming out of it are heading for us. We must flee and defend from a distance.

Aslaan begins backing away, keeping his eyes on the unnatural thing ahead of them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#115 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton follows the lead of Aslaan and begins backing away.

He draws his sword and whispers to Uilon.
Ask it why it's trying to wrangle us?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by hedgeknight »

wordoftheoracle wrote:Ioriston weakly presses the entity for an answer:
What creatures did he esteem that were not of the forest?
The shadowed figure shudders and the branches of the trees around your group likewise move as if blown by a gentle wind. "Creatures like those you associate with, child of the forest. Humans have desecrated these lands and raped the great forests to live in houses of wood and stone. Wherever they roam, they bring disease with them and leave death in their wake.
"This city...a cesspit of humans and those who love them, was almost cleansed by the great primordial, Maegera, when he awoke from his slumber. His wrath burned much of this place, and caused the great rift opposite the river, which flowed with lava from the volcano, Hotenow. Thousands perished, but the survivors did not leave. Rather, they have deluded themselves into rebuilding...as if that will be tolerated.
"Thundertree has already been reclaimed by the forest and the same fate shall befall this place of man. The Lone Wolf leads us and we will not stop until we have fulfilled his will. Any who stand in our way will die. Will you join us, child of the forest? Or will you die with your human friends?"
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#117 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston concentrates and rises, pointing at the creature. With an incantation as brief as it sudden, he fires a scorching ray at the abomination, hopefully lighting him on fire.

Scorching Ray: Ranged Touch Attack: [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 Damage: [4d6] = 20

I believe that would suffice for my answer. I am loyal to my cause. Your cause is nature. What compels you to serve such an unnatural half-elemental mistress and what would she want with a dragon?
PC History:

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

The preemptive attack coming from our side was unexpected. I suppose it was coming to this anyway, us being filthy humans and all.

Knowing he should keep his mouth shut, Aslaan speaks up anyway. I remember a place where nature and humans lived in harmony. I wish to get back there to live in true balance. You are as bad as the one-sided and selfish humans you disparage.

He glances behind and around to see if the shivering greenery meant they were being blocked in. He looks for at least two avenues of retreat and then raises his bow and fires at the thing just hit by Ioriston's magic.

To hit: [1d20+7] = 7+7 = 14, damage with longbow [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#119 Post by Jack »

"Maegera?" Uilon says amazed, recalling his recent visions.

Before seeing his companions target the shadowed figure, he says "How is helping a primordial to melt the material plane going help living things? Your cure is worse than the disease!"

As the attacks start, Uilon says "We want the same thing, but I will also stand in your way if this is your method.", then points at the figure, and with an incantation sets the things around it shimmering blue. He transforms into a brown bear, and charges it.

Action: cast Faerie Fire on the shadowed figure and everything in a 20-foot cube behind it, to outline them in blue light (DEX saving throw DC=13).
Bonus action: Combat Wild Shape into a brown bear.
Movement: charge the figure.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#120 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Jack wrote:"Maegera?" Uilon says amazed, recalling his recent visions.

Before seeing his companions target the shadowed figure, he says "How is helping a primordial to melt the material plane going help living things? Your cure is worse than the disease!"

As the attacks start, Uilon says "We want the same thing, but I will also stand in your way if this is your method.", then points at the figure, and with an incantation sets the things around it shimmering blue. He transforms into a brown bear, and charges it.

Action: cast Faerie Fire on the shadowed figure and everything in a 20-foot cube behind it, to outline them in blue light (DEX saving throw DC=13).
Bonus action: Combat Wild Shape into a brown bear.
Movement: charge the figure.
YES!!! IT'S ON!!!
PC History:

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”