Chapter 4 > Thundertree

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4 > Thundertree

#121 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland's mind is clouded with confusion at the dragon's strange question but it all falls together when he sees the egg and hears the story of the missing one. His heart goes out to the dragon, monsterous though it certainly is, it is still a sentient creature and has feelings of family and prodigy. He could barely believe it was his own head nodding in agreement when the dragon asked them for assistance.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan, angry with himself for already softening, realizes this is the tragedy here and one he is willing to help with...resentfully. Almost as bad as the stolen egg is the strongarm tactics and attempted coercion of the dragon by the cult. His fists tighten as he recalls these same moves made by the provincial government when he was a child.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#123 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kel tahn is not sure if he likes this idea or not.

What would you have us do, dragon?

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston feels for the dragon and understands very rationally the need for outside assistance.

We will help you. You have been wronged and we will see to it that your egg is restored and these cultists pay for their astonishing level of folly and arrogance. We will need some time to rest before we further investigate. While we understand the need for expeditious action, the cultists will not dare harm your egg and invoke your wrath. This will give us the time we need to properly prepare for the recovery of the latest in your mighty line. Can you grant us time for rest and any boon you can in the recovery of your egg and the punishment of those responsible?
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by hedgeknight »

The dragon looks at each of you intently, registering the sympathy on Gerland's face and the grim determination in the set of Aslaan's jaw. Somewhat uncertain, Kelton offers, "What would you have us do, dragon?"

"I thought that was obvious, youngling. I want my egg back!" her voice crackles with barely contained motherly rage.

But Ioriston calms her with these words: We will help you. You have been wronged and we will see to it that your egg is restored and these cultists pay for their astonishing level of folly and arrogance. We will need some time to rest before we further investigate. While we understand the need for expeditious action, the cultists will not dare harm your egg and invoke your wrath. This will give us the time we need to properly prepare for the recovery of the latest in your mighty line. Can you grant us time for rest and any boon you can in the recovery of your egg and the punishment of those responsible?
"You may rest the the tower here. No harm will come to you so long as you are with me. As for a boon to aid you....well...I suppose you may look around my trove for something that will expedite the recovery of my egg."

The dragon sidles out of the way to reveal a nice little treasure pile. Lots of shiny coins and at least a couple of scroll cases stuck in the pile. Is that a hilt of a weapon?

Actions?
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#126 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Thank you for the boon and opportunity to rest, mighty wyrm! We will recover your egg!

Ioriston will look for whatever scrolls he can! After which, he will rest and prepare some spells (depending on what he finds).

Do I need to roll anything to grab the scroll cases that are clearly visible?
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan nods at the dragon after the offer but still won't speak. When the dragon is away he will search through the pile for anything of interest (bows and/or arrows especially, flasks of oil are always nice or perhaps Greek fire he thinks dreamily, other weapons, potions, sundries).

Once everyone is settled and discussion is over he looks forward to resting to regain his strength before they pursue this new goal.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland will take the opportunity to look over the hoard for something he is able to use such as a shield or mace or even some of the scrolls should the prove to be divine in nature.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by hedgeknight »

Hesitant at first, for fear of what the dragon might do, you ease around the nest and begin looking through the treasure pile...which is not overly impressive for a dragon...but still it's the most you've ever seen at one time and place!
A very large chest has been shattered and spilled around are lots of silver and gold, large silver goblets some gems here and there, and a few other interesting items:

1/ Scroll of Lightning Bolt
2/ Scroll of Invisibility
3/ Potion of Healing
4/ A rusty battle axe
5/ An old shield

In a corner of the room, piled under several layers of straw and rotted clothing, you also find a skeletal body. The dragon growls slightly when you uncover the remains, but otherwise does nothing. The skeleton wears a medallion around its neck and there is a small leather pouch tied to its left wrist (bone).

"Now, you know I'm not going to just let you keep any of my treasure. Certain items are expendables, but some are not. By the way, if we are going to be working together, what are your names?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#130 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kel Tahn shakes his head at green deaths obtuse response to his first question.

Since you already know my name, I will reply thusly. We will help you in your time of trouble. My first question about what we should do next still lies unanswered, however.

Do you know anything about the whereabouts of these cultists? Do you know their numbers or what type of defenses they might have?

Any information you can give us will only insure the safe return of your not yet hatched offspring.

Kelton pokes around with the others in the hoard, certain that he may never get this opportunity again in his lifetime. He isn't looking for anything in particular, he just didn't want to feel left out or insult the mother that could kill the lot of them with only one sneeze. He takes a closer look at the items on the skeleton, trying on the medallion and looking into the pouch. Didn't much care for this poor bastard, eh?

To the rest of the group he exclaims, I feel fine. I will take a double watch if the rest of you need sleep.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#131 Post by wordoftheoracle »

I am but a humble wizard and collector of knowledge. My name is Ioriston Erudleaf and it is truly an honor to serve a mighty wyrm as yourself.

Ioriston studies the two spell scrolls and adds them to his spell book.

Unless your greatness has already surmised the location of their hideout, my ever humble suggestion is that the first step is to wander Thundertree in a directed fashion until we encounter one of these deplorable villains. I'd be more than happy to question the cultist... The last time I assisted in questioning someone it was... I think 'satisfying' would be the term I would use.

He will have a full rest and adjust his memorized spells. See character sheet and signature which I will update when I'm near a computer.

Edit: Lightning Bolt and Invisibility are 3rd and 2nd levels spells respectively. I do not have access to cast these spells yet. Can I still write them in my spellbook for later use?
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by hedgeknight »

In reply to Kelton and Ioriston, the dragon says, "My name is rather long, although I don't doubt you could understand it, Ioriston, so you may simply call me Flora. As for the cultists, I believe their base of operations is somewhere around the southern edge of Thundertree, no doubt guarded and protected by traps and spells. I was warned not to harass them or I would never see the return of my egg. But once you discern its location...I would advise you to get out of my way." The tone in her final comment leaves no question as to what she has planned for the cultists.
Kelton pokes around with the others in the hoard, certain that he may never get this opportunity again in his lifetime. He isn't looking for anything in particular, he just didn't want to feel left out or insult the mother that could kill the lot of them with only one sneeze. He takes a closer look at the items on the skeleton, trying on the medallion and looking into the pouch. Didn't much care for this poor bastard, eh?
Kelton gets a weird feeling when he puts the medallion around his neck. (See private thread). And when he looks into the gray pouch, he sees a small, fuzzy object inside.
Ioriston studies the two spell scrolls and adds them to his spell book.
Edit: Lightning Bolt and Invisibility are 3rd and 2nd levels spells respectively. I do not have access to cast these spells yet. Can I still write them in my spellbook for later use?
From the DMG: If the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + spell's level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect.
Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and the scroll itself crumbles to dust.

So, you can use them now; you just have to determine (by the luck of the dice gods) if they work or just disappear. ;)
Winter is coming...

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by ybn1197 »

Gerland bows before Flora. "I am Gerland Lesbros, humble servant of Lathander as you have already seen." He picks up the shield, trying its weight out. "Hopefully I will not need this but it is always better to be prepared and of course I will return it to you once our mission here is complete."

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#134 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Mighty Flora, once we have rested and recovered, we will scout and secure your egg and then report to you the location of this cult so you may do with them as befits such villains!

Ioriston turns tot he rest of the group: Let's rest and recover so we can start and finish this quest with haste! We should not keep mother awaiting child for much longer.

I would like to search through the treasure for anything relevant to spell-casters (aside from the two scrolls sticking out of the pile). What check would I need to roll?

Ioriston rests and recovers his spells awaiting the new cult-kicking day!
PC History:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#135 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton gets a grin on his face when he looks into the bag. He pulls forth the fuzzy ball and tosses it just outside the doorway into this place.

Bag o' Tricks [1d8] = 8

If I am correct in my reasoning, this should produce a nice guard for us so we can all sleep in peace. If I am wrong, Maybe it will at least provide a meal for our massive green friend here.

After putting on the amulet, Kelton isn't sure how this item will aid their new quest. I feel as though I can no longer be detected while wearing this. I would be happy to give it to anyone who feels better suited to wear it. I've never been much of a sneak.

Before Lor rests, the noble fighter tries to study with him some more. Pouring over his book, he hopes that more exposure to his magic will aid him in learning new spells for himself.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#136 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston speaks up: Kelton, I have an idea of what to do with the amulet. Remember that I can put guards and cultists to sleep. This should come in handy for a stealthier approach to finding the egg.
PC History:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by hedgeknight »

Dragon's Tower 3
wordoftheoracle wrote:Mighty Flora, once we have rested and recovered, we will scout and secure your egg and then report to you the location of this cult so you may do with them as befits such villains!
Ioriston turns tot he rest of the group: Let's rest and recover so we can start and finish this quest with haste! We should not keep mother awaiting child for much longer.
I would like to search through the treasure for anything relevant to spell-casters (aside from the two scrolls sticking out of the pile). What check would I need to roll?
Ioriston rests and recovers his spells awaiting the new cult-kicking day!
Flora growls in appreciation of Ioriston's promise. "See that you keep your word, little mage."
Ioriston then tries to find anything else of interest in the treasure pile, but is unsuccessful.

Kelton gets a grin on his face when he looks into the bag. He pulls forth the fuzzy ball and tosses it just outside the doorway into this place. Almost as soon as the fuzzy ball hits the ground, it begins to change...and within a few seconds, there is a giant elk standing in the tower!
elk1.jpg
elk1.jpg (27.9 KiB) Viewed 304 times
The creature snorts and stamps and rolls its eyes, clearly upset by the smell and presence of the dragon. But Kelton calms it with a few words and although it's nostrils flare occasionally, it begins to pace back and forth along the inside of the tower, as if keeping watch.

Kelton then asks Ioriston to continue his magical studies.
Anything else for the night, fellers?
Winter is coming...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#138 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Nope. Ioriston will help Kelton out and call it a night.
PC History:

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by ybn1197 »

Nothing for Gerland. He will head to sleep and in the morning get up with the rising sun and pray.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Eldritch Knight will learn whatever he can from Loriston before calling it a night.

He hands over the amulet to the mage as thanks for his gentle tutelage.

I hope this helps you in our defeat of the nasty cultists, master.

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”