"I know a guy"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"I know a guy"

#1 Post by Urson »

On one of the FB pages I follow, a GM mentioned this house rule:

If the PC's need something- a gadget, a skill, knowledge, whatever- one of them can say "I know a guy..." and describe an NPC who can solve the problem. This NPC then becomes part of the GM's cast of characters, and can be called on later, as needed.

So, f'rinstance: The party needs a map of a semi-legendary island. If they've already exhausted all the usual sources, a Player might say "I know a guy who collects stuff like this- let's go talk to him." This gives them another resource to draw on for the map they need.

Of course, it can be abused. Personally, I wouldn't use it unless I trusted my players not to "Know a Guy" for every single obstacle. You might toss in a % roll to determine whether 'the guy' lived close enough to be useful, had the item in question, whatever.

But- if used judiciously- it could be a fun little piece of roleplay.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: "I know a guy"

#2 Post by Alethan »

Great idea! I'll have to remember that.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Interesting idea.

I can see how this could spark a lot of role-playing (which is an aspect of the game I've come to really appreciate). I'll definitely need to keep this in mind.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

The "I know a guy" rule definitely fits under the "Rule of Cool" that I always abide!
I dig it, I'd use it! :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Starbeard »

Cool! I'd make it a chance roll too, otherwise things like sages become obsolete.

Actually, it reminds me of the Open D6 optional attributes like 'Funds', or 'Wealth' or whatever they call it, or the Contacts/Streetwise type skills. For Funds, rather than keeping track of actual money and equipment lists, you simply say what you're trying to buy, it has a difficulty based on how expensive and available it is, and you roll a Funds check to see if you were able to procure it within your means. Contacts goes more or less the same way, I think. I'm pretty sure Torchbearer uses the same mechanics as part of the core system.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

A good rule. Some systems use contacts, but they tend to be more structured (HarnMaster and Top Secret SI come to mind). I have always liked the contact and the house rules seems a better fit for old school type games.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Urson »

Well then! Glad I was able to share the idea.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Norjax »

Thanks for sharing! :)

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by AsenRG »

I'd make it a roll, too...
But I generally don't roll for availability or whether there is such a person. Generally, the answer is "yes", if it makes sense. Hey, engaging with NPCs is something I want the players to do :P !

Instead, I roll Xd6, depending on how likely I judge it to be (maximum 6d6, but 2d6 and 3d6 are much more likely) and look for 5s and 6s.
Each 5 or 6 gives you a favourable answer to one of the following questions:

Is the NPC friendly towards the PC?
Does the NPC has correct information/contacts? (A "no" here means that the NPC does instead offer you a way to get closer to your goal, but you have to work for it).
Is the NPC willing to share it for a price that you wouldn't regret paying?
Does the NPC intend to screw you up?

Please note: these are not in order :mrgreen: . I'm going to pick those that I find more fun...and nobody has ever accused me of being a non-sadistic Referee 8-) !

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by ffilz »

You might look at the Circles mechanic in Burning Wheel, it's basically a mechanical version of this.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by AsenRG »

I know the Circles mechanic. I just prefer more ad hoc rulings.

Return to “House rules”