Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Using more than just d6 for attributes

#1 Post by tibbius »

So ... hear me out ...

STR, WIS, DEX, CON, INT, CHA down the line

plus LCK

All start with 1 d6.

You have either (2 d10) or (1 d10 and 2 d8). Swap each of those dice for a d6. but not for LCK

When you try something that uses an attribute, roll its die. If you have STR d10, roll d10.

5+ is great. 1-2 is awful. 3-4 is a mixed result. With a d6, you'll at least kind of be successful 2/3 the time.

To improve, you get to increase the size of an attribute's die. Each die can grow one time, so if you put d10 in STR and d6 in WIS to start, your character's best self will have d12 STR and d8 WIS.

How to improve: the first time you roll max on an attribute, mark it. When you roll max on an attribute that has one mark, make the die bigger and mark the attribute a second time.

Instead of describing opponents by hit dice and attack bonuses, just describe what would happen if you rolled a 1-2 against them or if you rolled a 5+ against them.
Last edited by tibbius on Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Using more than just d6 for attributes

#2 Post by Leitz »

Isn't that sort of like the current version of the Top Secret game? Well, the variable dice per stat, anyway. I think the target numbers are different. Maybe a distant cousing to the 7th Sea (1st edition) Roll and Keep where you got one d10 per point of stat, and the average stat was 1, with 3 being fantastic.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Using more than just d6 for attributes

#3 Post by tibbius »

Hm. This actually comes out of a 24XX hack I have been writing.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “House rules”