OSR Gun Rules

PiebaldWookie
Runner
Runner

OSR Gun Rules

#1 Post by PiebaldWookie »

So, I wrote these rules up last year, but still haven't had the chance to put them into practice...

What do you guys think?

I'd appreciate some feedback and critique, and as with everything on my blog, feel free to use them - just let me know how they went down!

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OSR Gun Rules

#2 Post by Rukellian »

Thanks for the post PiebaldWookie! I enjoyed reading the rules and I think, if put into the right set of hands for a campaign, it could turn out to be a genuinely awesome game mechanic to play with. I cannot complain with how the tables are set up statistic wise, though I am no expert on guns in any manner. I think the introduction of guns in a fantasy realm would be more of an emerging factor as you stated. Something that was just created by a group of engineers and alchemists (I'd lean more towards it being a human invention though, considering that elves like their bow and arrows and dwarves are more heavy in their melee weapons).

The introduction of guns in a fantasy universe can also serve as an interesting plot twist or whole storyline of its own. I would elaborate more, but then, eh... I'm busy coming up with content for my current campaigns right now, as well as a new core rule set of my own! ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Traditionally, firearms in a fantasy setting tend to be gnomish in origin.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

PiebaldWookie
Runner
Runner

#4 Post by PiebaldWookie »

True, gnomes are frequently the experts in such matters. But, Iddon't particularly like them. For some reason, I also see Gnomish guns as being clockwork, with more accuracy (maybe +2) but a way worse fumble table, harder to repair, and much more restricted availability.

Return to “House rules”