Inferno
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 14: Abyss of the Damned

#41 Post by ravenn4544 »

thanks for the reminder.

Mouser
fails miserably at hitting the first thing and tries again to hit the second thing...

Scalpel (THACO 20) To Hit [1d20] = 11, S/M/L Dam. [1d8] = 4

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#42 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo does not struggle against the sucking motion of the mud, thinking it might only make things worse when he does try to escape.

He looks back and all around to see if there is a good spot to wedge his spear into the solid ground so he can brace himself. He gives Urdur a concerned look as he prepares a spell, hoping to save the downed fighters. "If I continue to sink, please grab ahold of me if you can!"

Pulling mistletoe from his pouch and grabbing a bit of the damnable mud, the druid begins a spell to call forth some tiny helpers. He hopes that his insects will disrupt the evil goat-headed priest before any more of his foul magic can be cast.

Cast Summon Insects

Once his swarm appears, the lanky human points his long, boney finger at his intended target. (C2)

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by wolfpack »

opportunity attacks
[1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20
[1d8+1] = 6+1 = 7

[1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7

Brevos continues to attack the priest hoping at least to disrupt any spell

[1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15
[1d8+1] = 1+1 = 2

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hit Points per level: [1d10] = 2 <--HP Loss.
Whew! Not too bad. I mean, apart from losing a whole level. :shock: :) Ug... this is a new experience for me.
And I'm going to tell you something - I don't like it. Not one bit... ;) :)
Telkis, frozen, feels lesser somehow. Something's not right... He stands helplessly rigid, watching, wanting nothing more than to smash the goat man to bits.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#45 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Still holding her holy symbol necklace, the cleric of Tritherion glowers at the profane priest. Your lackeys know the holy power of MY god. Now you shall as well! She then casts Hold Person on him.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Inferno »

Within the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Nightfall. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

The two dead things flee shrieking and furious before the virtuous power of Ingrid's unwavering faith.

(Last round...)

Hoom Feethos gives way that they may escape unchallenged, but Mouser and Brevos will not suffer the cadaverous horrors to pass.

Mouser's sabre cuts only air and Brevos retches at the sudden stench of death. (-2 to hit). But the grim ranger fights on, plunging Brood into the maggot-ridden heart of the first living corpse (C1) nearly ending it.

The two skeletal likenesses of Death hurtle west, screeching into the central shaft of the Hell Mouth!

Brevos races forward to the unholy sacristy to aid the beleaguered front line. He charges between his stricken friends and is startled to find a bestial minister holding mass.

Without hesitation, Brevos hacks Brood into the goat-headed cleric, gashing his chest and drawing bright red blood!

(This round...)

To the southwest, Urdur stops short of stepping into the voracious sinkhole of mud. He moves to help Long Bo but sees the druid begin to weave a magic incantation and stops. The nature priest keeps sinking, past his knees, as he piously implores the Shalm to grant him aid in this darkest of places.

Pip pulls himself free of the ravenous ooze and finds solid ground to the north. He enters the frigid, reeking vestry and encounters the monstrous priest.

"Your gods cannot save you," it calmly counsels the six heroes in the sacristry. "You cannot hope to understand. Join with us, and know true purpose. We are legion. Everywhere. Inevitable. No mortal can hope to resist us. Soon you will fight for our cause. Then you shall know the dark pleasures of Hell's embrace."

In answer, Pip crashes his quarterstaff across the black altar's occult finery, shattering a bowl of fetid liquid and overturning a candelabra, darkening the vestry cavern.

Ingrid snarls, "Your lackeys know the holy power of MY god. Now you shall as well!" Her devout orisons call upon her Lord to cage this villain in the prison of his own defiled body.

But the foul curate resists.

"Is the dog that licks up the offal in the temple yard the vassal of the god?" his mocking laughter cuts like a whip across a naked back.
"But for all your stupidity, you are a woman fair to look upon. It is my whim to keep you as my acolyte.
"You will yield to us,"
he states with horrible conviction. "Fear and pain shall teach you. I will lash you with horror and agony to the last quivering ounce of your endurance. You shall know such discipline as no mortal woman ever knew, until my slightest command is to you as the unalterable will of your god."

Brevos slashes again, his longsword biting more shallow this time. As if Brood could hear the dark cleric's words.

But the shallow laceration is enough to disrupt the vile cleric's black conjurings. What unspeakable eldritch torture was about to be summoned from the screaming black gulfs beyond the fragile veil called reality, and unleashed upon the heroes...

..will never be known.

To the south, the grey druid completes his fervent invocations to the spirits of nature, maintaining his concentration even as he falls deeper into the unquenchable sinkhole.

In answer to his prayers, a buzzing black cloud of insects takes shape. At Bo's silent command, they descend upon the heinous priest, engulfing him in a writhing vortex of unrelenting bites and stings.

The abominable vicar screams in agony from the center of the maelstrom of winged pestilence:

"'Ai! 'Ai! Shub-Niggurath!"

Suddenly, Urdur and Bo see ripples disturbing the placid surface of the mudhole. (at '?') Something unseen slithers beneath.

Actions?! (Hoom and Mouser, please see PMs.
Bo, please roll your Dex or lower on 1d20+3 if you wish to free your feet.)

Map:
One square = 10 feet. Black PC initials = Held. C5 = Pelias' unconscious, bound captive.

Cutaway View:
West is left. East is right. PCs' front rank is near the red "X."
Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 1/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 1/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 19/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 13/26
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser, nothing interesting happening where he stands now that the skeletal deaths have flown by, moves up the northeast passage to see if that meets up with the group.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by ChubbyPixie »

In spite of the cold, a single bead of sweat coalesces and rolls down Telkis’s temple. He stares, unblinking at the creepy visage of the foul priest, a grimace exposing his literal brass fangs frozen on his face.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#49 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo had not thought the mud would be so deep, yet despite his deadly situation, he still gets a sense of satisfaction hearing the goat headed man's screams.

Once he sees the mud undulating, he doesn't hesitate to get himself free of its filthy grasp. Using his spear for leverage, he pushes himself out and backtracks away from the pool towards Urdur and solid ground.

Dex Check (15) [1d20] = 12 :?

He sets the butt of his spear against the wall, ready for an attack that will surely come at any moment.

"If this is that giant slug I saw on the first level, we may need to think about retreating."

The chanting from the dying priest reminds him to keep an eye on the backstabbing thieves behind him.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by wolfpack »

I assume the priest is still alive

You talk to much, I will remedy that by removing your fetid tongue Brevos growls angrily as Brood leaves a wide blue arc through the air as he swings at the priests head.

[1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17
[1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#51 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Hell's embrace? We'll happily send you there. Light always drives out the darkness. Your kind will never walk in the purifying energy of the sun, preferring instead to skulk in fetid pits like this one. Your gods are false, and doomed to fall to the power of Good.

And with that, Ingrid smacks him with her mace!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur readies his dagger to throw at whatever emerges from the muck , unless Bo needs help getting out, in which case he helps the druid.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias keeps a watchful eye on the priest. He sees the swarm of insects, and immediately knows that Bo is responsible. In his frozen state, the paladin begins to rethink his rejection of the natural gods and their adherents. The druid has proven a worthy and crafty ally.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by drpete »

Unsure how long the priest will be distracted by the bugs, Pip lays into him with his quarterstaff, hoping to end this horror.

Pip Quarterstaff +1 (ThAC0 20) [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 Damage [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom follows proceeds up the northern passage with his short sword out in search of the others.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Inferno »

Within the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Nightfall. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

In the caverns beneath the swamp, the ripples in the mud rapidly close in on Bo, who is knee deep and still sinking. The disturbance grows closer and closer as the grey druid labors to pull himself free of the muck’s unyielding grip! With Urdur’s help, Bo narrowly crawls free onto the western shore, just before the undulations reach him. Then the mud goes still again.

Meanwhile, Hoom and Mouser creep up the left hand tunnel into the cold, charnel-scented vestry. They come up behind Brevos and Pelias with blades bared.

There they find a sight that will haunt their dreams for what remains of their lives.

A goat-headed priest shrieks within a swarm of insects. (C2)

Ingrid and Pip bludgeon him mercilessly with iron mace and oaken staff, breaking bones and rupturing organs.

Then, with a cruel epitaph, Brevos advances. His ensorcelled blade is a pale blue blur that narrowly misses the neck of the bestial heretic, striking his mouth instead, forever silencing that foul orifice.

The heinous cleric falls, the writhing, buzzing cloud still devouring his flesh.

As the blasphemous vicar breathes his last, Grothnak, Pelias and Telkis are suddenly freed of the temporal devilry that holds their bodies prisoners!

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 10 feet. C5 = Pelias' bound captive. X = dead or unconscious

Cutaway View:
West is left. East is right. PCs' front rank is near the red "X."
Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 1/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 1/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 19/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 13/26
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak stretches out a crick in his neck from being immobile. He grunts his readiness to move on.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by drpete »

Pip will give the area a quick scan, looking for anything that might be important to the cult... a focus of their ritual... some thing that, if taken or destroyed, might be hard to replace. Books, holy symbols, massive evil crystals or anything similar.

"Should we feed the priest to the thing in the mud...?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by wolfpack »

remove his head and burn the body. I don't want him coming back

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo rushes to the west to see if he can still spot the undead abominations at the entrance to the tunnel. If he sees them, he points his insects to attack.

Once he returns to the others, he shares his opinions.

"This is the second such evil priest we have encountered now, and likely not the last. This cult seems to be larger and more dangerous than I first anticipated. Those undead things were a horrible adversary!"

He pats tiny Telkis on his shoulder sympathetically.

"Thank the gods Ingrid was able to dispel them before they could do any more harm! Though I am certain we may see them again before we reach the bottom of this hell hole!"

Turning to address the thieves.

"SO, HOOM! Maybe we should ask you where they went? I noticed that you did absolutely nothing to help out with the battle once again and didn't bother to react to the fleeing undead monsters either. I wonder why. And that was a quaint little tune that you two were chanting along with there as well. Would you care to explain why you refuse to take up arms against our enemy? And how you know all of their evil mantras?"

He looks to the others and waves his long arms around frantically for visual effect.

"Has no one else noticed these suspicious actions? I don't think I want to march in front of those two anymore. The last thing I need is a blade in my back while I, a frail old man, tries to help put an end to this oppressive evil that the thieves don't seem to be too bothered by."

After facing the giant slug alone, the druid stays plenty clear of the dangerous mud pit and it's unknown inhabitant.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”