Chapter 12: At the Marshes of Madness

Inferno
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 12: At the Marshes of Madness

#161 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will pull out his hand axe.

If you can make the growth dense enough we should be bale to do that.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias, out of his element, can't think of any better idea than Bo's. He will help execute the druid's plan

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Inferno »

The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Nine. Late Afternoon. Monday, October 24th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

At the shore of the bleak islet, the heroes confer on fortifications for their night encampment in the dread, unnatural swamp.

The grey druid casts a wondrous, unimaginable spell that summons a wall of thick roots and vines from out of the mud; erupting forth, climbing, grasping, becoming a thick tangled barrier, nine feet high, that almost engulfs the entire island.

The heroes slowly cut a tunnel into it and hollow it out from the inside, creating a small keep of stalk and stem whose floor is lined with the swamp growth's cuttings.

Axes and swords fall silent. The eerie marsh is quiet again. The sky grows darker.

Actions? Any other preparations for the night?

Map:
Red is cultist trail. White X is approximate location of the heroes.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 10/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 10/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 28/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 10/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 21/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I suppose no fire tonight to dry our boots out without setting our shelter ablaze." Hoom says as he moves to claim his spot in the back of the shelter.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak stands at the entrance to the shrubbery igloo, Vadok in hand, watching the swamp for threats living and dead.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo piles up a long bed of cuttings and tries to make a comfortable spot against one wall to rest for the night. He collects everyone's empty water skins, waterproof vessels, even concave shields, anything that will hold water in it. He fills everything that he can up with the rancid swamp water and positions them together inside the shelter before beginning another spell. Casts Purify Water

"We may not be able to have a fire to cook or boil water, but that wont stop us from keeping hydrated. Everyone drink your fill of this clean water. I know it isn't much to offer, but at least its better than sitting around whining about wet boots."

Once this is done, he joins Grothnak outside and whistles softly for Sephus to see if he is nearby.

"If we can get some rest here and dry out a little, we should make it to the final spot on the map by mid day tomorrow. It is unnaturally quiet out here, wouldn't you say? I have been in isolated places before, but none that were completely void of any life such as this swamp. I have seen plenty of creepy places in my days but this one is beyond my understanding. I just hope we live to see justice done."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#167 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur nods his thanks to the druid, drinking a swig of clean water from his waterskin. He prepares to settle in for an uncomfortable night.

Have Urdur's torches dried out, or are they basically useless now?
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias too gulps from his waterskin. The fresh taste in his mouth is a welcome contrast from the fetid smell of the swamp around him.

"I suggest watches of two strong at least. We should pair a warrior and a spellcaster...or at least one of those on watch should be able to summon their deity's power to repel the dead."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Zhym »

"This is my diety's power to repel the dead," says Grothnak, hefting his halberd.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#170 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I hope that does not become necessary, Pelias. Trithereon chose not to provide me with the power to repel the dead, and I do not know if I have done enough yet to prove myself worthy again. If needed, I will do whatever I can no matter the adversity we may face.

The cleric picks up her waterskin, taking a sip of the fresh, pure water.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by drpete »

Pip works to maintain a positive attitude "I'm happy to take watch so that the injured can rest. We are so lucky to have a fine shelter, and some quiet. It sounds like there's not a lot of traffic on this island... and we shouldn't need to worry about snakes, or bugs, or ... hrmmmm... leeches? It should be a nice, quiet night, I think."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis piles some reeds and plops down again, in the middle of the overgrown enclosure. "This place have an emergency exit? Let me know when it's my turn..." he says, even as he drifts off to sleep.

In his dreams a horde of decaying and skeletal mice emerge from the waterline and advance steadily on the camp. Each has the face of Finster. He twitches in his sleep.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Inferno »

The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Nine. Evening. Monday, October 24th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

Night overtakes the haunted marsh.

The darkness is absolute; the silence, deafening.

The heroes take shelter, food, water and rest. The nocturnal watch cycles through. No creature stirs within the otherworldly landscape.

Sephus the crow does not return.

The heroes' restless dreams are plagued by mad piping and eerie chanting, a mesmerizing cacophony that no waking man can hear.

The surreal melody of madness and horror beckons powerfully at their dreamsouls until finally, light inches into the sky.

Another strangely silent dawn in the misty netherworld finds the heroes alive; their final fate still lying in wait for them.

Actions? and please see Experience Points Award, here. Congrats, Ingrid.
Also, everyone please roll vs. Healing Rates. Casters, your spell 'slots' are refreshed.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 10/16, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 10/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 17/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 28/30, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 10/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 21/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak sharpens his halberd, polishes his armor, and waits for the group to set out again.

Heal 2nd point? (1-60=yes): [1d100] = 12

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis feels better. A bit. He figures he survived the night - he'll just be grateful for that. It doesn't take long for the oppressive silence to get under his skin again. "Let's get this over with, I guess," he says. "I was just starting to dry out..."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias 2nd HP from rest 1-yes 2-no [1d2] = 1

Fully refreshed, Pelias tends to Grothnak's wounds, laying hands upon them. "We need you healthy" explains the paladin...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will get prepared and again lead the way

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#178 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom slips back his still wet boots. The night air has chilled them make the donning an unpleasant experience. He stays in the shelter until the party is ready to start their journey. No use in standing in water when not needed.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#179 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur gets ready to leave, grateful that his torches have dried out. He places them more carefully in his pack, hoping to avoid drenching them today.

At first, he questions the wisdom of heading to the source of the evil, without first resupplying at a safe town. But then he remembers his dog, Mittens, and what this evil cult did to him. Firm in his resolve, he sets out with the party.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#180 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just like every other day, Bo rises with the first hint of light. He looks around at the others, glad to see there were no incidents to deal with in the darkness. He silently thanks the Shalm for all he has offered throughout this disturbing endeavor so far, happy to see another morning, despite the groups current conditions. He prepares his gear for the last leg of their travels, happy to offer help carrying items for the shorter members of the party.

His only wish now is to see his friend Sephus again, safe and sound. He wonders what this new day will bring and if his bird will be waiting for him at the end of the trail.

"Lets get this last wet trudge through the marsh over with, shall we? We should only have to endure a few more hours of this misery, but there is no telling what tasks the gods have put before us once we reach our destination out here."

The druid keeps a sharp eye out for any life as the group sets out again. He stays close to Brevos, hoping the trial is still visible enough for his well trained eye.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”