Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

Inferno
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

#101 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Vital? Is using my hands in combat vital to you?" says the elf emphasizing the gear which he is now subject to caring in his arms. "Plus there is something in my pack which I dare not lose. It is important to me. I'll go alone if I have too."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

"I swear to Grumsh I take the head of the next man who threatens to run off alone!" growls Grothnak. "Anyone who leaves alone comes back enemy. We do NOTHING but we do together!"

"Gear can be stowed in other bags," he says in a calmer voice. "We must move south at once. You should not have left anything you value behind."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur simply nods in agreement. He follows Telkis, also offering his thanks to Thompson, and leaving a bit of jerky or cheese from his rations for the mouse. He gathers his gear and heads south with the others when everyone is ready.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I did not leave them behind. I left them with a friend. Besides heading south is exactly what they will expect. They know we'll be heading that way and will be patrolling looking for us. Magistrate Ruskadel and Chief Constable Allard are experienced men-at-arms and know the land. Taking the direct route will end in an ambush and our capture, assuming they bother taking captives. Ever since we stepped into this village we have been underestimating our enemy, marching blindly straight ahead with our head down. If not for the clever thinking of some of us and a lot of luck we would not be here."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Zhym »

"Only a fool or a coward marches north when his enemy is south," counters Grothnak. "Unless your precious is vital to our mission, you can get it after we save the town."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by AleBelly »

DadsAngry wrote:Hoom Feethos:

"Vital? Is using my hands in combat vital to you?" says the elf emphasizing the gear which he is now subject to caring in his arms. "Plus there is something in my pack which I dare not lose. It is important to me. I'll go alone if I have too."
"Go alone, then" snarls Pelias. "It is your custom, after all. You put us, and our noble mission, at risk running off to the woods as we fled the church. If we are to leave, I'll not tarry waiting for you to retrieve some mysterious hidden object. Reveal its identity that we may decide whether it is worth the trouble. If not, let us take the advantage of dim light and head south, following the perimeter of the Dim Forest into the Rushmoors."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"It's the reason that I came here to Briarsgate. It's the key. I purposely left it with Gray and allowed myself capture so it could escape. If the Magistrate or Chief Constable discovered it who knows what they would have done with it. They could have discovered it secrets and then all hope would have been lost. Not only for this village but elven-kind and all the other inhabitants of this realm. If Gray and I have to go alone than we will. But the sun has just risen and the cover of night is 12 hours away. Enough time to recover my artifact and head south once the night is upon us again. The location of the barn is not far, just north and a little east of here. It's farther away from town and a safer place to hide out until night fall when we can move more freely."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#108 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I really do not think splitting up after finally reuniting us all is the wisest course of action. If this item is truly something of import, we should retrieve it. I am unconvinced, however, as to how it will help us. Your vague description does little to allay our concerns. Unfortunately, as you have discussed this item and its whereabouts in front of others, it is no longer safely hidden if these villagers were to be captured or converted. I know they would not willingly betray us, but I am afraid what could happen to them if they are discovered to have been aiding us. I pray to Trithereon that nothing will befall any more villagers, but we will be unable to assist them while we are gone.

Ingrid will cast her final Cure Light Wounds on herself.

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 1

Uh-oh! Looks like Trithereon saw this as a selfish use of her healing ability. :(
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak steps to the exit, blocking it. "The elf runs off alone too much," he says. "He could be an enemy agent. Do you need to report our position and plans, flowers-in-the-blood? You would not be the first captive to turn to his enemy's side."

He fixes Hoom with a stare. "If you are with the enemy, we cannot allow you to report back. If you are with us, we cannot allow you to be re-captured. But I will swear this to you: if you are with us and you drop this foolish insistence on going back for your precious, I will help you get it after our business to the south is over."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis hefts his pack. After following the exchange, he jumps in: "What is it, Hoom? You have to be straight with us on this matter. Grothnak's kind of being a jerk about it, but he's right - we can't let you or anyone else go off alone. If it's important, I for one am willing to help retrieve it... but if it's a book of Elven poetry, I swear to Garl..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo stands back from this argument. He has never really trusted the shifty elf since he arrived and agrees completely with Grathnak's thoughts on the matter. Discovering more and more about the complexity and depth of this cult, the druid has decided not to let his feelings about Hoom or anyone else be known. Whether his beliefs be right or wrong, he does know that it is a bad strategy to show your hand to your enemy.

"If Hoom is a spy, I suppose we could all be spies. Though, I too noticed his penchant for wanting to run off on his own a lot. I too demand to know the actual identity of this.....precious."

He heals the funny gnome as he suggested he would earlier.

CLW [1d8] = 3

CLW [1d8] = 7

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Windmill (NW of 24)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. Early morning. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

As the heroes debate, the anemic sun inches higher over the forlorn windmill. "Yer burning daylight," grumbles the old mendicant.

Telkis and Urdur thank Thompson the mouse and his friends as they ready to leave. Ingrid and Long Bo bestow more miraculous orisons of healing. (+1hp to Ingrid, +10hp to Telkis)

Hoom remains resolute in his intention to go his separate way. But Grothnak blocks his path, growling. "The elf runs off alone too much. He could be an enemy agent."

The villagers eye the elf with cold suspicion. One says, low and even, "He could be one of them."
Another says nervously, "We shouldn't let him go. There's some rope over there."

Mouser tries to help his fellow thief, corroborating a part of his story, "He did say his gear was valuable when he asked me to hide it."

Hoom asks one last time if anyone will go with him to the abandoned farmhouse of the hanged family. Otherwise he will go alone.

Replies?

Map:

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 2/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 14/15, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 8/12, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 16/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 22/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 25/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 5/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Become very defensive Hoom shots back. "I'm no spy. They tried to control me just as they have done to the villager here but it didn't work. My kind is not susceptible to magical suggestions as humans are. If you're looking for a spy I'd be more worried about the other humans you have freed from their cages. Like the one that you freed in the basement of the Golden Grain Inn. The one that later attack the party as I was coming to your aid in the temple. As of going off on my own. If I didn't separate from the group when we first got here the lot of you would have been still held captive in the basement of the Golden Grain Inn. Or did you forget that? It was I who discovered the evil plot at the Golden Grain Inn and went and gathered the others who had wandered off. It was Mouser and I who stayed back to protect you as you delved into the caverns beneath the Golden Grain Inn. As for leaving Mouser I've already told you why I did it. And lastly it was reckless to travel into an unexplored basement with no sure way out when a way of escape was present. You were lucky to find a tunnel out. I've gamble quite a bit in my time but only when the odds are stacked in my favor."

Calming down and get back on task.
"Do you also remember the papers that I got from Bertram. You know, the owner of the Golden Grain Inn. The ones that showed the expansion into Hookhill. They are also in my pack. With those documents we can show that there is a conspiracy afoot here in Briarsgate. It could be the key information to help get allies in Hookhill or the surround area. Who knows how embedded they have become here and in Hookhill? Plus the documents are also proof of our good intensions here in Brairsgate. They could help us in our murder trials which will likely follow. They must be recovered before they are discovered.

Now please stand aside and come with me or let me go. If given the choice I'd prefer to go together. The odds of success would be more in our favor."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak does something no one in the party has ever seen him do: he throws his head back and laughs.

It is not a pretty sound. It is the noise a wild boar would make if it could bark, or a cur would make if it could scream. It is a rolling, growling, hacking, gutteral noise. For several seconds Grothnak caterwauls with mirth before regaining control of himself.

"That is your precious?" he mocks, his yellow teeth bared in a sneer. "You demand that we delay our mission and risk the lives and souls of these people to retrieve some papers? I take back what I said—you are too much flâgît-glob to be a spy!" Grothnak bark-scream-hacks again in laughter before regaining his customary serious countenance. "Which is good for you, because your excuses are weak. It was convenient how you managed to be alone while everyone else was caged. And setting fire to the Golden Grain Inn while we were still inside—was that part of 'protecting' us? At least we fared better than Verity did from your cowardice and foolishness."

"The papers are nothing. They reveal nothing and prove nothing. Our enemy knows their own plans. We will win by marching south at once and killing the thing that has these people under its thrall, not by waving papers around. When we are victorious, the people will be freed and we will have no need for your papers. Should we fail, your papers will not save us or them."

"Now, will you stop this foolishness and come with us to destroy what is holding this town in thrall and threatening Hookhill?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by AleBelly »

"If this evil has infiltrated Briarsgate, it may also dwell within Hookhill. We may have the element of surprise now, but if we alert those allied with this evil in Hookhill, we lose that advantage. I understand, Hoom, why you wish to do this. But it is too risky." Pelias hoists his backpack on his shoulders. "Day is breaking, and we are wasting time. I am heading to the forest's edge, then south. Into the rushes. You, Hoom, should come with us."

The paladin sets off.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#116 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo winces when Pelias walks off alone. He waits a few moments to see if the hyperbole of the half-orc will indeed cause the paladins demise.

Once the coast is clear and no heads are lost, Bo hoists his gear and follows along behind.

"Papers? Proof? Tell us, who will you show these papers to now? We haven't come across one player in this deadly game that we have trusted so far, including Ramne here, at first. No offense, of course. We have no idea who we can trust or who to show this information of yours. I will not wait around or put further lives at risk for some presumed proof. The time is now for action!"

He thanks the others once again as he departs the windmill.

"If it is a better wipe you seek, I will find you some soft leaves to do your business. That is what those papers are worth out here."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak, still trying to enforce group unity through infighting, does not move from his position blocking the exit—not yet. "What did I just say?" he growls, exasperated. "No one goes off alone!"

"We leave, together, in a moment. After Hoom decides whether he is with us or against us."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis shudders pleasantly from the healing - he feels suddenly like a million gold pieces, like he could take on a whole village of fanatics. He turns to Hoom with a friendly look. "It's true, you know. We'd never be sure who to trust with any information written on those papers. Anyway, they'll keep in the farmhouse just fine while we defeat the menace, whatever it is. And we can't trust anyone in the party who runs off and comes back - not anymore - they may be tainted. So that's not an option. Let's get going before we have to endure any more half-orcian speeches or ultimatums. I don't think I can take anymore." He nods his head and rolls his eyes meaningfully in Grothnak's direction.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#119 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Telkis
"Let's get going before we have to endure any more half-orcian speeches or ultimatums."
"Or his laughing." Bo adds from under his breath with a wince and a smile.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by AleBelly »

"We're not beholden to your will, Grothnak. Either Hoom goes with us or he doesn't. We cannot force him to choose the path of righteousness. As we argue, we endure greater risk of discovery. Now step aside" says Pelias as he pushes past the half-orc.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”