Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

#81 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Waking up refreshed, with a full complement of spells provided to her by Trithereon, she sets about healing those who are the most injured.

First, she provides blessed healing to the druid, Bo. She then provides her healing touch to the gnome warrior, Telkis. She then lays her hands on Pelias, the holy warrior.
Clearly, Trithereon favors humans more than gnomes this day. :)

With a constitution score of 10, Ingrid does not need to roll for HP as she only gets one per day, already added to her total on her character sheet.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias wakes, drowsing long into the day. He has a spring in his step. Not a joyful one, necessarily, but that of new capabilities.

"Heironeus visited me in my dreams. He bestowed upon me new gifts, bidding me to use them in the southern rushes with all possible haste. Yet I do not think we are in any shape to go today.

I would like to use this day to converse with you gentlemen. First concerns your safety. None who have aided us in this town have remained unscathed. Have you anywhere else to go until we purge this evil from your town? Second, were all those you suspect of being under this enchantment taken against their will? How many have allied with this foul force of their own free will?"

I assume he used his laying of hands after midnight and that's why he doesn't have this ability now?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom finds a nice dry spot to sleep the night away. In the morning he wakes and settles up with Mouser for the remainder of his gear that he drop to him outside the Inn of the Slumbering Serpent. As well he inquires with Ingrid about his bullseye lantern that Mouser had passed to her in the basement of the Golden Grain Inn.
OOC: Hoom dropped everything but the clothes on his back down to Mouser at the Golden Grain Inn. What items if any don't make it back to Hoom?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur rests, leaving a bit of beef jerky from his rations for Thompson and his people before falling asleep.

Dreaming of his lost friend, Urdur's slumber is not as refreshing as he had hoped.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis wakes up feeling like he's been dragged behind a goat, which is slightly better than he felt last night. "Thanks, Ingrid - you're a dear," he says as the friendly priestess once again gives him her blessings. Somehow it doesn't seem to help that much, but he doesn't let on, and is nonetheless grateful.
With rest and healing combined Telkis gains 3 HP.
"I agree - it's to the swamp, now. Though as Grothnak says, I'd feel better about it if, well ...if I felt better. Perhaps we should rest here a bit longer? I can have my mouse friends keep a watch in shifts. Not that we'd want to depend on them entirely, as well meaning as they are..." He'll poke around and see if he can get any mouse word of Thompson's whereabouts for a general report on movements in the night, and to request they keep up their vigilance.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The healing touch of Ingrid gives Long Bo just enough energy to be argumentative........again.

"Thank you, Ingrid! Now....I disagree that we should sit here and do nothing, for any amount of time! If it takes more than a day to get to this fetid swamp we seek, we will likely need to rest again at least once anyway. We need to exhaust our healing magic and begin to make our way there NOW! We can heal again after a days travel, provided we are not accosted along the way. Everything we did last night will all be for naught if we do not press on immediately! We need to strike while the proverbial iron is hot!"

The druid looks around the room, hoping that he isn't the only one that feels this way. He calls Sephus to him and mentions that the bird was the last person to have the special lock-picking tools. He tries to get them back in order to return them to Hoom.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Good morning. What's for breakfast? I haven't had a bite to eat in days."
Hoom listens to the group as they plan the day.
"Any chance that farm house that Mouser stashed my gear is on the way? I sure do feel naked with out my stuff. Plus it's going to be difficult fighting with this tome under my arm."
He holds up his book of enchantments.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias recalls the words of the legendary Vorkath.

Be wary of the druidfolk. Their motives are suspect, and their thinking wanders, intersecting the path of righteousness infrequently.

He has been a valuable ally, brilliant and brave, but he wonders if they will agree on anything.

Lost in these thoughts, the paladin forgets his manners.

"Ingrid, your gifts are welcome indeed."

She's kinda hot too. If Pelias was still living his pre-paladin days, well...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Windmill (NW of 24)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. Dawn. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Within the forlorn windmill, the druid asks the strange hermit if he has any horses. The old beggar grunts, "You've seen my hovel. I have no steeds. There is a livery in the village if you'd risk being seen there, but I would not. You are all still hunted men in Briarsgate."

The heroes eat their fill of smoked pork, fresh milk and produce from the farms of Briarsgate.

Thompson the field mouse cheerfully reports to Telkis and Urdur that all is quiet.

The villagers in attendance lower their heads in silent prayer as Avril and Ingrid heal the wounded with blessed miracles.

I'll NPC Avril until ToniXX gets his head above water. But I won't roll her new HP for leveling.
Avril heals: Bo: [1d8] = 6, Ingrid: [1d8] = 3, Telkis: [1d8] = 7
The townsmen assure Pelias they will soon return to their farms and families, where they will feel safe.
The paladin of Hookhill asks: "Were all those you suspect of being under this enchantment taken against their will? How many have allied with this foul force of their own free will?"

A villager replies, "We don't know. We still don't know who we can trust in Briarsgate, good sir. Except those of us here. ...and you kind heroes."

Their strength returning, the heroes plan next steps. They grimly realize they must follow the map from the necromantic priestess into the fell bogs of the Rushmoors Swamp. But they differ as to when they should set out. Long Bo would leave now, south for the marsh. Pelias and Telkis would rest and heal another day. And Hoom would travel northeast to the farmhouse of the hanged family to recover the rest of his abandoned belongings.

Actions?

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 2/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 14/15, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 8/12, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 8/16, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 16/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 22/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 15/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 5/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo agrees with the hermit that going back into town, for any reason, would be a bad idea.

"Tell me then good sir, do you feel safe enough now to tell us your real name yet? Calling you "The Hermit" seems a bit unfriendly to me."

I see your point in not returning anywhere near to town, but I wish there was a way to get to the south a little faster. Tell me, how safe do you think this route will be for us? Do you know of any dangers we might have to face along the way?"

Bo shows the map to the man, pointing out the proposed plan of travel.

"How long of a trip is this do you suppose? Two days? More?"

Looking around at the much healthier party, thanks to the clerical healing, the druid pushes his case again.

"I will not sit by here and do nothing today. I will scout ahead alone if I must. Sitting around until we feel better is not in my nature, nor should it be any of yours while these atrocities are allowed to take place. I feel that our immediate course of action is to the south. If we leave now, we can camp somewhere safe, further away from all these prying eyes. The longer we sit here, the better chance we have of being found out. The sooner we leave, the less danger we put these good people in. I can cast my heals upon our most injured before we sleep again, and we can all get some more heaing tomorrow. This way we will have gotten ourselves that much closer to our destination and to putting an end to all of this."

He turns to the hermit one last time.

Can you lend your opinion to this stalemate, please?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by AleBelly »

"I am in good health" adds Pelias. "We can scout together while the others heal. Leaving today is folly - our clerics have asked all the healing they can of their gods today. We will journey south to face a foe with limited strength. And I do not have to remind you of the dangers we met on our way to this cursed town."

He looks to the magicians. "Are you practitioners of the arcane arts able to make a man invisible? I could leave my armor here and accompany Hoom to retrieve his possessions. It may do well to pay the elves a visit too...if the gentlemen here think they can be trusted."

The paladin's face falls. "I am tempted to visit the Gade household, though I know it not wise."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by SocraticLawyer »

"It is folly to remain here," says Urdur, "but it would be greater folly still to divide our forces again."

To Pelias, he says, "I cannot, yet, make the seen become unseen. But I can create fog to cover an escape, if needs be. And if there are any of the small folk here, I can disguise myself as a member of this town, for a short time."
Last edited by SocraticLawyer on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308

#93 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I do have one healing spell remaining, and I will pray for more tonight. I agree with Bo. We are in danger here in the village, and we put these good folk in danger as well. We should leave now. No, we are not at full strength, but I feel we are strong enough that we should venture on. The longer we delay, the longer the people of Briarsgate will remain under the influence of the cult.

Ingrid turns to the villagers. I thank you for your hospitality and will do everything I can to free your town from the grip of evil.

Ingrid hands the lantern to Hoom.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis looks up from his and Urdur's conversation with Thompson as the party's discussion starts. "Judging by the looks I got when we arrived, I don't think they see a lot of small folk here in town - or take too kindly to us. This is no cosmopolitan Hochoch." he says. "I do believe we must rest - however, we will need to skirt the town wide to the northeast anyway, by my estimation, to make it down to the swamps. Bo's plan to at least circle around to the farmstead on the Northeast of town and rest there seems not too far-fetched, and may save us time in the end, if we can indeed remain unseen. After Avril's healing just now, I feel I could at least do that." He folds his burly gnome arms and waits for the consensus. Turning to Urdur he adds in gnomish, "Three of the mice from the vicinity of the farmhouse gave their lives for our cause. Finster is a local hero there. Just so you don't say anything awkward..."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Windmill (NW of 24)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. Early morning. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

Outside the abandoned windmill, a grey dawn lurches out of the twilight.

"They used to call me Ramne," the old hermit answers Long Bo.

When Bo asks of their road south, one of the farmers shudders, "It's an unhealthy place. Men don't go there."
Another townsman warns, "Alligators and worse are said to live in that fell bog."

The old hermit squints at the map into the Rushmoors. "Looks like two days. Maybe three. Hard to say what kind of time you'll make in a marsh."

Pelais asks about the trustworthiness of the Elves known to live in a cottage in the village (9). One of the provincial farmers glances at Hoom and then answers, "I don't honestly know, sir."

The noble paladin confesses, "I am tempted to visit the Gade household, though I know it not wise."

The old hermit's tired eyes slide toward Pelias but he says nothing.

Ingrid turns to the villagers. "I thank you for your hospitality and will do everything I can to free your town from the grip of evil."

They reply, "No, holy maiden! It is we who thank you! All of you!"

The heroes confer on a plan of attack, exposing their divisions. Long Bo says to the old beggar, "Can you lend your opinion to this stalemate, please?"

The hermit croaks wearily, "All right. Because you asked. You should heal the group some more, Long Bo of the Shalm. Then they may feel better about leaving sooner.
"But if you do wait to leave, don't stay here. You've burned down the Golden Grain Inn and raided the Temple of Merikka. At what point will they stop looking for you? Eventually, someone will come knocking at this door. It's only a matter of time."

Actions?

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 2/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 14/15, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 8/12, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 8/16, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 16/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 22/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 15/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 5/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#96 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

If we stay, we need to hide out somewhere that if found, the innocent villagers will not be in danger. There can be no link between us and any villager who might be accused of providing aid if the cultists find us. We must protect the remaining few who have not fallen under evil's sway at all costs.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak snarls at Bo as the druid presumes to lecture an Uruk and a Paladin on duty and honor. But the words of the hermit set Grothnak's mind.

"We endanger innocents by our presence" he says. "We must go."

"Come!" he exhorts the others. "There is evil to destroy!"
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo pats Ramne on the shoulder, thanking him and the others again for their aid.

"Thank you Ramne! If for nothing else, at least you have set us off in the right direction."

Still thinking that this Ramne is more than he seems, the druid is happy to heed his advice.

"Ramne has spoken, everyone. If we stay here, we put more than just ourselves in danger. I trust that Ramne will not steer us wrong."

Bo gets his gear together and tries to prompt the others to get moving as well, glad that this Ramne fellow has really come around since their first meeting.

;)

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis gathers his stuff to go. If he can spot (or hear) a mouse nearby, he'll try to send word to Thompson - to relieve him of his duty, with a thanks for the help and a caution to be careful.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo smiles politely at Grothnak before addressing Hoom about his missing equipment.

"Master Hoom, are the items you left at the farmhouse vital enough to our mission to justify adding an entire day of travel to our trip? Or do you think that you could get by without them? If it is merely extra clothing, rations, and the like, I suggest that we leave them there until we return from the swamp. I can only assume that you wouldn't have left behind any magical items or valuables?"

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”