Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

Inferno
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

#121 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak does not budge from blocking the door. He holds the blade of Vadok between himself and the paladin. "I have already gone back on an oath by not collecting your head, paladin. I will hear from Hoom before I step aside. We cannot allow him to go off alone. You have heard the others. It is too much of a risk. Now either wait few seconds with me to hear Hoom's decision or kill me, if you can." He bares his teeth in what is definitely not a smile.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I doesn't seem like you are giving me a choice Grothnak. Join you or lose my head. Is that just my fate or anyone else that goes against you?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Zhym »

"All who have spoken said that you must not go off alone and that there is no reason for it. Will you comply, or will continue acting like our enemy?"

He looks again at Pelias and the others ready to leave, and grunts. "Fine. We go. We cannot force anyone to join us. But who leaves us now leaves forever. Make your choice, elf." He steps aside and follows the group out the door.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I am not your enemy and not subject to your rule. I have told you what I'm going to do and my plans have not changed. Go ahead and cut me down half bred, like all the innocents of this town that have been slaughtered. What is one more soul taken at a the end of your halberd to you. You play the short game. You have no honor."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Zhym »

Hoom said the magic words. "Half breed" he has heard before. He expects as much from a poofy stuck-up elf. "You have no honor," however, cannot be forgiven.

"You issue the challenge!" says Grothnak, almost gleeful. "Good! Come at me, elf coward, and we will see who has no honor! Udautas vrasubatlat, lulgijak! " He raises Vadok and steps toward the elf, ready to strike as soon as Hoom is prepared to defend himself.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

As Grothnak steps forward Hoom moves around him and out the door.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Windmill (NW of 24)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. Early morning. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

Grothnak Uthglukh laughs.

It is a horrible thing to behold.

Enraged words follow.

Mistrust blossoms. Tension builds.

Things are said that can never be taken back.

Events escalate. And then they spiral out of control.

Grothnak challenges Hoom to single combat and the elven rogue slips past him and out the door. Grothnak turns, charges outside and strikes Hoom down without hesitation. The flat of Vadok's blade hammers the back of Hoom's skull and the elf is beaten into unconsciousness.

Hoom crashes hard to the ground outside the windmill. Face down in the dirt at Grothnak's feet, he stops moving.

For a heartbeat, all goes silent as the villagers' eyes widen in terror.

Actions?!

Rolls and rulings (non-required reading)
It's a combat. Neither Hoom nor Grothnak are 'surprised.' I will assume everyone else is.
Hoom's movement goes first.
Then Grothnak charges and attacks Hoom's retreating back, as per Zhym's PM to me.
Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 18): [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14, Dmg [1d10+4] = 10+4 = 14 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 2+4 = 6 (L) Hits for maximum damage.
An attack to subdue, with the flat of the blade, means Hoom won't bleed out.
Surprise round is over. Everyone is free to act.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 2/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 14/15, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP -6/12, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 16/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 22/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 25/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 5/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Zhym »

"You are lucky you are lulgijak" snarls Grothnak, his voice dripping with contempt for the inert form on the ground. "A man or Uruk with blood in his veins would have seen the other side of my blade for showing such cowardice after challenging my honor!"

Looking to the others, his tone softens as he attempts to explain. "To say an Uruk has no honor is a challenge to battle. No insult is more personal, more despicable. To challenge an Uruk to a duel and then flee..." the Uruk simply shakes his head. "Not even most elves would be so stupid."

"I regret if my demand for party unity has broken it apart. If you would leave me, I understand. If you will still have me, I would be honored. Whatever you decide, I suggest leaving Hoom here. When he wakes up, we—or you—should be far away. He will go his own way, but if he is an enemy agent, at least we will have a head start before he reports to his superiors."

He stands and awaits the verbal lashing that is sure to ensue.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by AleBelly »

"It requires no small measure of honor to ignore an insult. Are you really so easily manipulated?" chides Pelias.

"It would not be honorable to leave him here where he could be easily found." The paladin turns to the townsfolk, who must be taken aback by what just happened. "I'm afraid this is what happens when an orcish and elven blood are close for too long. I wonder if you would look after Hoom until you must depart for your farms. If you are to leave soon, we can hide him just inside the treeline."

"...and we waste more time."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#130 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo hides his frustration about the sudden attack from the onlookers. We have gone from heroes to fools in their eyes in mere seconds, he thinks to himself as he exits the building.

"I suppose we can sit here for another hour now while we decide on what to do with our unconscious elf? WE MUST GET MOVING HERE PEOPLE!!!"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by SocraticLawyer »

"We must bring him with us," says Urdur. "If he is in league with the enemy,
then they will know our plans if we leave him here. If he is not, it would be a great evil to abandon him to these foul murderers.

"Either way, he comes with us."

Urdur tries to lift the elf, hoping one of the tall folk will intervene to help him.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Zhym »

Having created the party's current problem, Grothnak is hesitant to say anything. But he does.

"You are right, Pelias," he says quietly, looking at the floor. "I was weak to allow him to goad me. The taunts of a coward mean less than nothing. I should have remembered that."

"Hoom did not want to come with us," he tells Urdur. "I don't think he would like us dragging him along. My suggestion is to ask Ramne and the villagers if they will look after him until he wakes. When he does, I would bind him and gag him. But do as you wish. I am done enforcing my will on others."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias turns to the men of the town. "The evil present in this town has taken its toll on us, too. It does not excuse our behavior.
If you will look after Hoom, we shall leave him here. But I doubt you wish to cast this burden atop your heap of troubles. If you are willing to look after him, we will depart without him. If not, we will take him."

The paladin will follow the wishes of the brave townfolk.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Windmill (NW of 24)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. Early morning. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

The sickly sun crawls higher.

The sound of the brutal beating stops.

But things continue to come apart.

One terrified villager panics and bolts. "I have to get home now!" he mutters as he flees south through the corn rows.

Outside the windmill, over the bludgeoned form of Hoom, Grothnak calls back into the windmill. A conversation ensues.

In horror, Mouser watches the callous ease with which the party accepts a savage attack upon one of their own.

It could only happen to a thief, Mouser thinks. Worried about his partner in crime, he holds his tongue nonetheless, knowing the only way to keep his own skin safe is not to stick his neck out. For now.

The old hermit hangs his head and holds his weary face in his worn, cracked hands.

Avril's ears sting from Grothnak's blistering vilification of her heritage. The elf-blooded angel of mercy runs outside the windmill and kneels beside Hoom to make sure he still draws breath. Then she looks up at the half-orc warrior and says, icily: "Well done, 'honorable Grothnak'." Avril will help Urdur carry their battered friend.

Urdur would bring Hoom with them. Grothnak would gag and bind Hoom. Pelias would leave Hoom under the villagers' care, if they will acquiesce.
Frightened, stunned and confused, the three remaining villagers are mute. Then one finally replies to Pelias' request, "W-w-we will help in whatever way we may, sir." Another gets the rope. A third ascends to the lookout window.

Seething, Long Bo exits the windmill and yells: "WE MUST GET MOVING HERE, PEOPLE!!!"

"Someone's on the road!" reports the townsman at the window in an urgent whisper. From his vantage, he can see over the seven foot tall unharvested corn that surrounds the abandoned windmill. "I can't tell who. But they're not moving. Maybe they've heard us."

Actions?!

Map:
1 marks Hoom, Grothnak, Avril and Urdur.
The villagers, the hermit and the other heroes are in or near the windmill at X.
2 is the villager who fled south. 3 is the unknown figure on the road, reported by the lookout.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 2/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 14/15, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP -5/12, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 16/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 22/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 25/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 5/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#135 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Displeased with the recent events, the cleric of Trithereon glares maces at the half-orc warrior. You speak of honor, yet few acts are less honorable than striking down an unarmed man from behind! We have pretty much exhausted all our healing abilities, the last thing we need is for one of our party to cause injury to another, however you may feel about them. I fear your temper and inability to let an insult slide like water from a goose's back may endanger the party and our mission here to help the villagers. As it is,the few remaining villagers who we felt we could trust are now terrified of us, and we don't really know how they may react to us in the future. For all we know, the villager who ran may be off to inform the cultists. Better the devil you know than a bunch of untrustworthy strangers with the ability to slaughter a group of untrained, poorly equipped farmers, perhaps? Either way, we must leave quickly, and now we have an approaching stranger to deal with, as well as a decision on what to do with poor Hoom. As Ingrid begins to turn away from Grothnak, she stops. Now that I too have impugned your honor, will you strike me down as I walk away as well, great fighter for justice? With that, she goes to tend to the unconscious elf.
She can't glare daggers like most people would, they are prohibited by her god and she's not going to risk Trithereon's wrath and the potential for withheld healing magic in the future. :lol:
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Zhym »

At the sound of someone from the road, Grothnak quietly but abruptly shushes Ingrid. Whatever the others think of what he did, this is no time for speeches. He listens for any sounds from the direction of the road.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis blinks, glancing from the inert form of Hoom to Grothnak and back. His face betrays no emotion. "We must take him with us. He'll be a danger to these villagers otherwise." As soon as word is spoken of a stranger on the road, he draws his bow and moves behind any cover he can find to cover the approach unseen.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#138 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeing this new predicament with the stranger now watching, Bo gets even more mad at the current idiotic situation.

He looks at the righteous half-orc with disdain and speaks quietly enough so the watcher wont hear."Why don't you just agree to carry the elf along with us until he comes around? You know, as a punishment for your..............short fuse?"

The lanky druid pulls his bird friend from his hood and whispers something into its ear before letting it take off towards the "watcher". He wants Sephus to go take a closer look at this stranger.

"If we are already being watched now, it might be wise to take the long way around and backtrack to this trail we seek. Lets get our shit together for a change and get moving towards the Northwest. Once we've put some distance between us and this town, we can swing back around to the south to find our path."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur simply nods. This group needs to get going, with Hoom on tow. He won't abandon the elf to the cages again.

Urdur curses himself for not studying some of the more intricate illusion spells, back when he was an apprentice. Some of them could really help his crew out of this jam.

Urdur asks Thompson or any of the other mice if they know who the stranger on the road is. He also makes ready his Audible Glamer spell, in case they need a distraction.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Inferno »

Scott308 wrote: She can't glare daggers like most people would, they are prohibited by her god and she's not going to risk Trithereon's wrath and the potential for withheld healing magic in the future. :lol:
:lol:
DM:

Player: