Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

Inferno
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

#341 Post by rredmond »

The Grey Mouser punches the air as he sees the potions having positive effects. Then he looks up and around. Staring at Ingrid, "crap where did the others get to? We'd better hustle to catch up." He looks uncomfortably at the door (in 11) to the east. He shakes his head, "I hate leaving unchecked doors behind us" he mutters to himself.

Taking sword and dagger in hand again, he makes sure that the other three head out the doors, feeling that he's the healthier of the four left behind he'll be rear guard. As they go he will close both doors of room 13; the one leading in and the one leading out. This way they can, hopefully, hear any pursuit coming from that direction.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#342 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Before hurrying after Grothnak into the room, Telkis pauses and yells back to Long Bo. "l've had an idea... can you change into a bat or a small bird as before, fly back to the Golden Grain inn, or some other closer building and start it on fire? Perhaps it would disperse the mob long enough for us to escape..." He shrugs and hustles after Grothnak, but also begins calling out for any mice or rats that may happen to be in the building - it seems they're going to need all the help they can get.
Bo hears the words of Telkis, thinking that a diversion would be a great idea.

He pops open the remaining door in the torture chamber, hoping to search more of the area as quickly as possible.

He then tests the magic of his potion to see if the power to change into a bird still exists.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#343 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur follows the paladin and his fellow gnome, not quite knowing what the heck is going on, but sure that he wants to stay close to those more heavily-armored than himself.

Urdur checks for secret doors in the room of unspeakable depravity. Though he is loathe to touch the walls, escape is his priority. He conducts as thorough a search as he can, given their dire straights.

To anyone who will listen, he says, "Was that an angry mob I heard downstairs? Are they coming for us? I know an incantation that will fool their ears, or another that may persuade their leader to leave us alone. Or if we can get outside this unholy place, I can summon a fog to cover our escape."

OOC: Is there a window in this room? If so, perhaps we can break it, anchor a rope inside, and make our escape before the mob arrives.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#344 Post by Mant72 »

Ingrid responds to the newly revived Hoom, "They are close. Let us rejoin them. Remain vigilant, for this foul place is beset by malevolent forces."

Ingrid helps everyone to recover and gather their wits before following after the others.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Inferno »

The Church of Merikka (21)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Midnight. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

The heroes forge deeper and deeper into the heinous temple of fear, searching for Grothnak. Baying bloodhounds hunt them in the cathedral below.

Ingrid guides the disoriented, newly awakened Avril and Hoom. The Mouser follows, shutting every door behind him.

Bo opens a door that Grothnak did not pass through, revealing a dark room filled with beds, table and chairs, and empty of life (15). It might once have served the brothers of this church. Now it reeks of Goblin Men. The grey druid tries to transform into a bird at Telkis’ suggestion, but cannot. The impossible effects of the magical potion have worn off. The other half of the arcane alchemy still rests in his pack.

Telkis calls in the language of rats and some of the scuttling black vermin crawl out from cracks in the stained, scribed walls. The small plague are a rippling, hairy wave of filth and disease, at home in this madhouse. One cackles at Telkis with hateful glee, “You’re all going to die here. Then we'll gnaw your bones.”

Pelias, Telkis and Urdur find Grothnak after a horrific passage through lurid depths of deranged depravity, past alien glyphs and depictions of creatures out of darkest nightmare.

Grothnak stands alone in a dead end, surrounded by scattered sheets of paper, each filled with mad, blasphemous scribblings. Before Urdur can help him search for secret doors, the half-orc thinks he’s found one. It pushes opens into another horrific chamber (18).

There, the young woman from the altar is chained in a cage (W).

Her pale, naked body is covered in wounds that speak of months of violation and abuse.

She is gagged. Only her hope-filled eyes can plead with Grothnak. Or warn him.

Grothnak quickly scans the candlelit room:

Broken shards of a marble statue of Merikka are scattered everywhere, and covered in more execrable fluids of defilement.

A blanket and pillow on the floor near the cage is caked with blood... menstrual blood?

There is a brass bound chest. A key ring on a hook. Three burning candles.

And, in the corner of the windowless cell stands the massive, unmistakable shape of the abomination that was depicted in the unholy shrine beneath the Golden Grain Inn (A).

The revolting horror looms in the flickering yellow light, staring directly at Grothnak.

Actions?!

Map:
White initials indicate the PCs. Green are undead or monsters. Orange are burned skeletons. Red initials are hooded cultists, priests and priestesses.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#346 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Grey, what happened with Baltus and the meeting with the mayor? Was the mayor part of the conspiracy? And what of Belba and Ollwin? Did the Constable leave them alone?" Hoom says as he waits for Mouser to catch up with him.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#347 Post by Mant72 »

Seeing that Hoom and Avril have regained their bearings, Ingrid hurries forward to rejoin the others.

The disturbing environment tests the priestess' composure, but she remains resoulute in her determination to find the captive woman and escape.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak boldly strides into the room, his eyes on the abomination. Is it another statue like the one below the Golden Grain Inn? Or does this one live? He holds his halberd at the ready, prepared to attack if it is not a statue.

If the abomination makes no move, he takes the key ring. "Is this lock trapped?" he asks the terrified woman, hoping she can at least nod or shake her head. If she does the latter, he tries the keys on the ring, opens the cage, and frees the woman.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#349 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur hears the taunting of the plague rats, trying to pretend that it doesn't bother him. He stays with the paladin and the gnome, following the half-orc. When the secret door is opened, he says to those present, "Let's all get in here. If that mob is after us, they probably don't know about this room. We can hide out in there, and I can use my magic to help disburse them if they won't leave." With that, he follows the half-orc into the room.

Upon entering the room, Urdur stays well back from the abomination (A), waiting to see if it moves or attacks in any way. If it does not, he helps Grothnak free the captive woman.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#350 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Afraid to search the room all alone, Bo decides to move along with Ingrid and the others as they rush past him.

"I saw nothing inside that room to indicate there was an exit. I really hope that the only other stairs down weren't behind the only door we didn't check."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Mouse-holes!" Telkis mutters to the rats, squinting. He gives a meaningful glance at Urdur as the Gnome passes that says "Rats! Am I right?" Seeing Grothnak and Urdur headed through the secret door, he'll run back to herd the others who may not be aware into the room before entering himself. Once everybody is in he'll close the secret door behind them.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#352 Post by ToniXX »

Avril, still stunned from dying and being revived twice in one night, takes in her surroundings.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by rredmond »

Mouser hustles the others forward, with regular quick glances behind and above (because you always need to look up) to ensure their safety. As he gets closer to Hoom:
DadsAngry wrote:"Grey, what happened with Baltus and the meeting with the mayor? Was the mayor part of the conspiracy? And what of Belba and Ollwin? Did the Constable leave them alone?" Hoom says as he waits for Mouser to catch up with him.
"It's good to see you... and a little surprising that you ended up here? I thought we'd eventually have to break you out of wherever the constable locked you up!" GM answers quietly and hurriedly. "But you asked first, so it's fair that I should give an accounting first," he says with a small smile. "After I left the Slumbering Serpent I never saw Balthus again, so no meeting. I have no clue about the mayor." Then Mouser shakes his head sadly, "I'm also not sure about the Craloons. I didn't see them being taken, but the Serpent was dark and quiet yesterday, which seemed strange."
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias enters the room behind Grothnak. He gasps at the sight. He averts his eyes from the woman, and moves directly towards the figure in the corner, sword raised.

"Foul abomination! Trouble Briarsgate no longer!" he cries.

Attack with long sword +1 (THAC0 19) [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19, damage [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Inferno »

The Church of Merikka (21)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Midnight. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

"Run, run, as fast as you can!"

To the mockery of vermin, the heroes of Briarsgate have become both hunters and the hunted. They race through the unholy church of horrors into a secret room to hide from the madmen and hounds that track them.

There, they come face to face with a looming atrocity, the revolting thing depicted in the warrens of undead beneath the Golden Grain Inn.

"Foul abomination! Trouble Briarsgate no longer!" brave Pelias cries as he unhesitatingly attacks. His powerful sword strike hacks a large chip from its jade neck. The paladin's fearless onslaught reveals it to be another statue.

Yet, still it confronts them with its audacious existence. Luminous and translucent, the lifelike sculpture is a skillfully carved icon of a surreal reality. Shades of violet, blue and green jade have been blended into a masterpiece of evil. The sickly candlelight causes the colors to writhe and shimmer in an almost hypnotic pattern.

The woman they seek is chained in an iron cage. Broken shards of a marble statue of Merikka are scattered everywhere, and covered in more execrable fluids of defilement. A blanket and pillow on the floor near the cage is caked with blood. There is a brass bound chest, a key ring on a hook, three burning candles, and no doors or windows.

Grothnak barks a question at the the captive young woman in the cage and she shakes her head, wide-eyed, stunned. The half-orc warrior grasps the key ring in his hand and he and Urdur free her.

Unchained, ungagged, the naked girl manages to say, "Is he dead?" before breaking down in uncontrollable weeping, gulping for air between deep sobs as she holds her face in her frail hands. Grothnak and Urdur see her body is cut, bruised, branded and scarred with more of the horrific, occult symbols and images. Everywhere, except her beautiful young face.

The last of the heroes are ushered through the heinous gallery of madness and evil, into the secret chamber of the Unholy Abomination.

Telkis closes the concealed door behind them, shutting them into a dead end. Before the hidden portal clicks back into place, the gnome warrior barely hears dogs barking and howling in the distance. No longer below them now, but from the northwest... from somewhere on this floor of the church.

Actions?!

Map:
White initials indicate the PCs. All others are where the PCs saw them last.

Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):
Fyi, this post covered two rounds of actions.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Shhhh... quiet dear," says Telkis. "I can hear them on this floor now. We'll stay quiet here and leave when they're gone. They don't know we're in here," He looks meaningfully at the others and puts his finger to his lips. He'll then quietly start walking the perimeter of the wall, starting with the north one, looking for any other secret exits. Somehow he can't imagine the previous occupant giving himself no means of escape from his lair.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#357 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo grumbles once inside the horrific chamber.

"How is locking ourselves in this gods forsaken place a good idea? If this mob is made up entirely of cultists, why should we think that they don't know this room exists? Even if they don't know of this room.......THEY HAVE HOUNDS WITH THEM! They will most certainly smell us out! I believe this to be madness and think we better devise a plan immediately for when they begin charging in here."

Seeing the young girl in need, the kind hearted old man stops complaining and goes to help her. He covers her if he can find the means to do so.

"Yes my child. The monster that did this to you is now dead. We killed him. But it seems we have spent nearly every bit of our effort to do so and now find ourselves trapped up here with all of our lives still very much in peril. Speak quickly child! Do you know of any exits out of this place or other secrets that we can utilize?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak glares firebolts at the druid. "You got a better plan, out with it," he growls under his breath. "But do it quietly. And have a care for the poor woman. Will someone please offer her a cloak, or a blanket?" he asks, looking around the room for someone with more comforts than he allows himself.

"The evil priest is dead," he tells the woman as kindly as he can manage.

"Telkis, Pelias—help me move the statue of this ugly demon. Maybe we can make it serve good for once by wedging it against the door."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#359 Post by Mant72 »

Ingrid tries to soothe the trembling girl as best she can, offering her water from her skin and the extra set of fine clothes she stores in her backpack.

"I have no alternative plan, but I concur with Bo. We must look for an alternative exit lest we are surely found."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#360 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"That statue is pretty ugly. How can anyone want to worship such a thing? Are you sure that the mob are cultist and not the good town folk coming to or aid. There are still good people of this village... well on the outskirts of the town maybe. Baltus was one of them and the innkeeper and his wife were another. I'm sure there are still many more. What is above us? We pasted stairs going up."

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”