Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

Inferno
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

#401 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur Shimmerstone, gnome illusionist
ChubbyPixie wrote:"Whatchya think of this stonework, Urdur?" he says. "Those rats up there were real jerks, huh?... The mice in town are nice..." he adds, lamely.
"Rats, they are the worst," he says to his fellow in the gnomish tongue. He too inspects the stonework as the group moves through the passage.
Can the gnomes determine anything about the stonework? Unsafe wall/ceiling/floor, slopes/grades, etc?
When they get to the trapdoor, Urdur tosses his torch down to Telkis and climbs down into the room with the rest of the group. He helps search for secret doors, spellbooks, potions, valuables, or anything else of interest.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#402 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo follows the fighters down the ladder and takes a closer look at the window. He has broken one in here already and he isn't afraid to break another. He studies the details of the glass, looking for weak spots or an area that might have less mortar holding it in.

He tries to determine if the glass could be simply pushed out of its frame, or if it would indeed need to be smashed in order to make it an exit.

He looks outside to try to get his bearings as to where the group currently is. He hopes that this is a first story window and that the ground outside is close by.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#403 Post by Mant72 »

Ingrid is sickened by Hoom's insensitivity and restrains herself from adding an additional slap to the smug elf's face. She threatens, "Any more remarks such as those will find you in the predicament you were in earlier. Mind your tongue, chauvinist..."

Scowling, she continues to keep her arm around the girl in hopes that she settles her nerves.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Inferno »

The Church of Merikka (21)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Midnight. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

The heroes escape down a winding, serpentine backstair. Urdur also inspects the stairwell masonry and finds it sound. The dark gnome doesn't believe they have journeyed underground.

Hoom Feethos opens the trapdoor and kicks in the rope ladder. He and the Grey Mouser make room for the others as they descend into the candlelit chamber.

Ingrid consoles Verity Clayborne and the trembling girl quavers, "This is her room... Misha Devi. She... embraced the Reptile Thing." Verity's frightened mind is filled with unspeakable thoughts.

"...Is she still alive?!" Verity asks in a whisper.

Long Bo examines the stained glass window. The night sky tells him this window faces outside, but he cannot determine their distance to the ground. The window is too opaque.
He sees the leaded glass is solidly built. They'll need to break it to escape this way.

Grothnak and Urdur search the evil priestess' bedroom.

In addition to what Hoom saw from above, Grothnak finds a trunk beneath the bed. And, under a rug, Urdur finds another trapdoor set seamlessly into the floor (also at 'S').

Suddenly, Hoom and Mouser hear noise far above them. Dogs barking. A distant male voice rages, "Where in the Nine Hells are they?!"
Then another man's voice lilts with mockery, "Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

The top of the cramped stairwell remains dark. But the barking grows louder until those in the bedroom below can hear it.

Actions?!

Map:
Hoom and Mouser are above, at "S." All others are in the bedroom.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
Light Sources:
  • Verity's candle, Urdur's torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak holds up his hand, showing Verity the ring he now wears. "Took this from her dead body," he says.

"We must continue down through the secret door," he pronounces. "Take a moment to search the chest for traps before we descend."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by rredmond »

Grey Mouser, 1/2 elf, Thief/MU

"We're up," Mouser says to Hoom as he jumps down. "You want to do the chest this time and I'll take a look at the trap door. Those country yokels won't be able to find us, but their pets will," he finishes grimly.

Mouser checks out the trap door for, well, for traps. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#407 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo quietly contemplates the groups current situation as the thieves go to work.

"We should secure the upper trapdoor and smash this window to escape while we still can. The cultists are still after us, despite killing their priests and most of their fodder. That leads me to believe that this place is not the only faction of this cult. The deeper we go inside this hell, the further we may be from escape. Remember what we found the last time we were underground?"

The lanky human looks to Grothnak and continues.

"I know you are still healthy and want to continue. But just take a look at the rest of us for a second. We will be almost no help to you if you run into something dangerous down there. Will you not at least consider fleeing now in hopes of finding a safe place for the rest of us to regain our strength and powers?"

Knowing full well that his pleas will be ignored yet again, the druid moves to the northern door and listens at it for a second before trying the handle to see if it is locked. If he is able, he will crack the door slightly to see if he recognizes anything on the other side.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by Zhym »

"If we flee through the window, we will be heard, seen, and pursued," answers Grothnak. "Our hope lies in finding a place here to hole up for a while before continuing on. We may never be able to return."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#409 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo gets an idea.

"If that is the consensus of the group, then perhaps we should smash the window anyway. They might just think that we fled out this way, improving our chances to find a spot to hide once we get down below. There were no windows above this level that they could spot us from. Of course, if there is anyone else outside or beyond one of these doors, they will likely hear it and come to investigate. Great Shalm, I have no idea as to what is the right move for us anymore!"

The druid shudders at the thought of going under the ground in this hellish nightmare, but he will do so if he must.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by AleBelly »

"Only one way to tell if we will be discovered" grunts Pelias as he bashes the glass window with his shield. "Bo is right. We don't know what we'll find below. We need to get this young woman to safety. This may be a way." The paladin will look out the window and assess the situation.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by rredmond »

"Wait but they are right...", Mouser winces at the noise of the smashing window while he searches, "behind us," he finishes weakly. "So much for stealth and getting our (bashed up mind you) selves and the girl to safety, how does smashing the window not bring the whole town on us? With their dogs," he growls quietly.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak also winces. Shooting a look at the Paladin, he says, "Bo's idea is not a bad one. We can use misdirection to our advantage. Let them think we ran away through the broken window. Then they will not look for us under the secret door."

"It would have been wise, however, to wait until Mouser and Hoom were done looking for traps."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I think Bo's plan is a fine one," says Telkis as he searches as much of he rest of the room as he can for anything useful or informative. A journal? Magical looking jewelry? He figures he'll know it when he sees it. "Also, since they now know we're here, jamming a spike in the trap door above might be a good idea - to slow them down..."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#414 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom scurries down the rope ladder.
"What are you doing? Lets get out of here. The only thing down is the dungeons where I was held. Urdur drop that torch on the bed and let this place burn like the Golden Grain Inn." Hoom says as he widens the hole in the broken window to avoid being cut on his exit.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#415 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur Shimmerstone, gnome illusionist
"Misdirection is our only chance," he says. "I have a spell that will fool the ears of our pursuers. Once we are below, I can use it to throw them off our trail, make them think we left through the window.

"Regardless of what lay ahead, certain doom is behind us. We must continue below."
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by Zhym »

"Nar thos lulgijak," curses Grothnak as Hoom tries to avoid getting a cut as he cravenly flees. Seeing no help from the elf, Grothnak opens the trapdoor himself.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Inferno »

The Church of Merikka (21)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Past midnight. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Telkis also searches the bedroom of the fallen necromantress, Misha Devi. The dwarfish gnome finds, tucked between dogeared tomes on the shelf, a worn, folded parchment. He opens it to reveal a quickly sketched map, water damaged and dirt-stained, marking a path leading from Briarsgate, winding around the Dim Forest and deep into the heart of the Rushmoors to the south. Telkis knows where the murky Rushmoors are said to lie:

Verity Clayborne is visibly relieved to hear the dark priestess of Briarsgate is dead. But upon seeing the map, she shudders anew.

Suddenly: SKRRAASSSH! Pelias' lightning emblazoned shield shatters the stained glass window on the eastern wall.

Hoom and Mouser hear a man yell high above their heads in the stairwell: "Over there!" More distant shouting follows, soon drowned out by the rising crescendo of barking hounds. The pair of sorcerous thieves scurry down the rope ladder!

Pelias looks out the jagged shards of broken glass at the unkempt overgrown courtyard of the church and its tall, stone wall.

At the same instant, Bo unlocks and cracks open the northern door and peers out. The grey druid recognizes the moonlit marble corridor stretching north (10).

Both druid and paladin now know where they are: the southeast corner of the first floor of the church of horror.

Upon the sundering of the stained glass, Mouser recklessly throws opens the trapdoor. He and Grothnak peer in. There is a tall wooden ladder leading down into a dark, dank cavern, like the one where Mouser found Hoom Feethos and Urdur Shimmerstone dangling in iron cages. The rough subterranean cavity ranges northward.

Hoom joins Pelias at the broken window. They both see shadows writhe and jump as a light grows brighter outside. Holding a lantern, a frail, spindly old figure turns the southeast corner of the church. It's the Widow Hochstedt (WH). Hoom and Pelias know her from the descriptions given by Mouser and poor Moogeye Comcra.

The old crone sees the broken window and looks directly into the eyes of Hoom and Pelias and her skull-like face contorts into a wild eyed mask of perfect hatred as she shrieks, "They're here! THEY'RE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!"

Actions?!

Map:
PCs and Verity are marked with their initials.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
Light Sources:
  • Verity's candle, Urdur's torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak glares at Pelias and Hoom. "Brilliant," he growls.

"Urdur, is there anything your misdirection magic can do to help us now?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by rredmond »

Grey Mouser, 1/2 elf, MU/Th

"Stealth they said," Mouser murmurs angrily to himself, "break a window they said, what could go wrong they said?" Then out loud to the party, "The jig is up folks, if down is no exit, and there's no back door, then we need to get out of here and out the front door very quickly before the hordes of villagers come to surround us and cut off all escape."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by Zhym »

"The tunnels under the Golden Grain Inn led to an exit," says Grothnak. "Dare we hope that these tunnels offer escape?"

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”