It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9663
Location: 1977
Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

Day Seven.
Briarsgate. The Abandoned Windmill
(NW of 24)
Early morning. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty


Image

Attachment:
windmill.jpg
windmill.jpg [ 199.88 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

The shadow council is adjourned. The mysterious villagers and the strange old hermit depart, offering heartfelt prayers and gratitude. The investigators of Briarsgate set a watch, and rest in the cellar of the abandoned windmill. Townsfolk surreptitiously bring them food and drink. The sail blades turn, creaking in the breeze, counting the hours.

At nightfall, the adventurers quietly emerge. They creep south through the ominous, writhing shadows of the hermit's grove.

Image

Then they turn left and follow the tree-lined path north around the black, still lake at the heart of Briarsgate village.

Image

All is as dark and quiet as a crypt. They reach the walls of the church of Merikka and hide among the majestic elms that line them (at X). Moogeye scrabbles up the tall, stone wall with a rope and grappling hook.

Attachment:
wall.jpg
wall.jpg [ 383.93 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

She peers into a courtyard of grass and trees. The majestic grandeur of the church reminds her of the wealth and prosperity this rich farming region once enjoyed, before all hope was lost.

Image

By the ghostly light of the full moon, she sees motion... temple acolytes coming this way from the north (at A).

Image

The young nun doesn't recognize these ceremonial vestments.

Image

(Unlike these images...) The acolytes hold hooded lanterns and the leashes of guard dogs.


Actions?


Map:
Attachment:
Church of Merikka.jpg
Church of Merikka.jpg [ 173.69 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]
One square = 20 feet. Lighter area marks visibility.


Image


Status:

Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:41 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2545
Telkis holds as still as he can. If this whole thing goes end up, he doesn't want it to be because he was clanking around in his armor. He gazes around them along the walls and occasionally behind to make sure they aren't surprised while they scout the temple. He wonders what Moogeye is seeing up there, if anything.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:59 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15183
Grothnak stays hidden and waits for the signal to scale the walls.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:13 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13897
Location: Packerland
Bo wonders where Sephus has gone off to. He fears for his friends safety since another entire day has now passed and he still hasn't returned to him yet. He holds up his finger on the walk to the temple, hoping that this damn cult has not amassed yet another alley into their disgusting ranks while the group rested.

The man stays as still as possible once the walls are reached. He hopes that his group hasn't just walked directly into a trap set up by these damnable cultists. He fingers the stopper of his as of yet unused potion and awaits the report from the monk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias looks up impatiently. He grows weary of waiting around, and hopes for a sign from Moogeye to snap to action.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Grey Mouser hides in the shadows and tries to determine which direction the breeze, if any, is blowing.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:42 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am
Posts: 2889
Location: England
Apologies for being late to the party, folks.

Moogeye makes a quick count of the acolytes she can see, then quietly slips back down the rope to the others and whispering to them how many she saw.

"Acolytes in vestments strange to me patrol the courtyard with hounds. They pass by us just now from the north. Shall we continue to monitor them from the wall, to see if they establish a patrol pattern?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9663
Location: 1977
Day Seven.
Briarsgate. The Church of Merikka
(21)
Night. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty



Image


Image

Dark shapes this way come.

Moogeye Comcra descends through the cold shadows of the church's high, stone wall. Her foot touches the ground as she whispers to her companions: "Acolytes in vestments strange to me patrol the courtyard with hounds. They pass by us just now from the north. Shall we continue to monitor them from the wall, to see if they establish a patrol pattern?"

Mouser, trying to hide, notices the wind blows east.


Actions?


Rolls and Rulings:


Image


Status:

Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Resources:

_________________


Last edited by Inferno on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:52 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15183
Grothnak nods. "Know your enemy's habits as if they were your own," he whispers as if were a mantra.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Ingrid Esthof:

“Aye,” the priestess curtly whispers in response to Moogeye’s suggestion. She crouches silently in the shadows of the wall, pressing her lips to her triskelion medallion, and anxiously awaiting word from the others.

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:05 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am
Posts: 2889
Location: England
Moogeye pauses for a moment. "The wind blows east. There is a good chance that their hounds will smell our scent if we stay on the west wall. I will try to spy from the eastern wall, downwind from the patrols."

Assuming there are nods of agreement, she will wait a short while to give the patrol enough time to pass by, then grab the end of the rope and attempt to dislodge and retrieve the grappling hook. She will move clockwise around the building until she is against the eastern wall and try again.

If anyone who knows more about animals seems to think this would be a waste of time, she'll just stick to the original plan and spy from where they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:11 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Grey Mouser follows around to the east wall with the others.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:36 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13897
Location: Packerland
Bo also moves with the group, watching behind the party closely in case the patrol exits the compound.

He whispers softly. Its is a good idea to get downwind of the hounds. I wonder if it is us who they seek?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:40 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9663
Location: 1977
Day Seven.
Briarsgate. The Church of Merikka
(21)
Night. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty



Image


The investigators of the sinister secrets of Briarsgate descend upon what they believe is the last bastion of evil within that beleaguered village: the Church of Merikka.

Attachment:
Church of Merikka.jpg
Church of Merikka.jpg [ 462.7 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]

Moving between its wall and the elm trunks, to mask their passing from prying eyes within and without the church, the adventurers walk north around the shrine to position themselves downwind of it.

There, they patiently monitor the patrol rotation as the moon slowly crawls across gulfs of infinite void above.

Image

In an hour's time they learn there are four watchmen and two dogs whose path results in a pattern of being absent for thirteen minutes. The shadowy sentinels of Merikka and their hounds begin another such period of absence.

Attachment:
sentinels.jpg
sentinels.jpg [ 239.67 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]

Moogeye alerts the others from her vantage point high atop the stone wall. Grothnak's iron grappling hook is in place; the climbing rope hangs down, its end idly writhing among the overgrown weeds.


Actions?


Map:
Attachment:
Map of Church of Merikka.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka.jpg [ 269.13 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
One square = 10 feet. Lighter area indicates visibility. Border of map is the courtyard's wall. A= Acolytes. MC = Moogeye. The rest of the party is east of Moogeye near the wall.
Church's interior is from description of the shadow council villager.




Image


Status:

Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:19 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2545
"I'll happily volunteer to go first, in order to cover the others with my bow if needed," suggests Telkis. "Does anyone else have a grapnel, so we can get down the other side without exposing ourselves on the top overlong?" He ponders a moment. "What do followers of Merika usually wear for robes? We are sure the guards you described are bad guys, right, and not simply patrolling to protect themselves from the lizard creatures?"

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:41 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
"Or I," Grey Mouser bravely volunteers.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:38 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
"If not first, I should go immediately thereafter. If evil purposes drive the patrollers, Heironeus will provide those near me protection" says Pelias steadily as he regards the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15183
"Let us go together," says Grothnak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Ingrid Esthof:

"Yes, let us proceed as one. I wouldn't want to risk anyone getting separated." With this, she loosens her mace, and prepares to be off.

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:33 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13897
Location: Packerland
Bo is not surprised that the group wants to argue about who should go when.

He continues whispering as he awaits his turn on the dreaded rope. My question is, what are we doing once we are on the other side? Do we make a break for the front doors or what?

If these guards are as Telkis suggests, they might not be our enemy at all. I don't think we should harm them if we don't have to. Do we have a way to bring them down quietly? I can use an enchantment that will make the grass and weeds hold them in place but it won't keep them quiet.

We really should discuss these things before going over the damn wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group