Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

#421 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo is not overly surprised at the paladins brash move.

"We can't expect to fool anyone now that we've been discovered. I'm not going deeper into this place in the shape we are all in. That would be suicide! Let's get the hell out of here while we still can!"

Bo gets ready to leave through the window, hoping the others will come to their senses as well. He peers out to see if the old woman is their only obstacle.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#422 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Zhym wrote:"The tunnels under the Golden Grain Inn led to an exit," says Grothnak. "Dare we hope that these tunnels offer escape?"
"I found a map!..." says Telkis, when the window suddenly breaks. He looks around at the rag-tag group. Where would they run out there? The villagers have dogs and would be right on their heels... "I don't think we'd make it, Bo... I vote down the hatch. There's sure to be danger. But connecting to these rooms as it does, this must be an escape route of some sort. At least, that's what my gut says..."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias is incredulous at the suggestion of going below the earth's surface. "You think it's safer to be chased and wander subterranean areas than it is just to be chased? Madness! Yes, the tunnels from the inn led to safety, but we had to fight our way through. As the druid says, we are in no condition for a fight. Besides, we must get Verity to safety. She has endured enough in this foul temple. The only question is whether to make our exit from the front door or the window..."

If he thinks Verity can climb through the window without hurting herself, he will get out first and encourage her to follow.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I see your point, Pelias. Just a gut feeling, as I said. Whatever we're doing, we should reach a consensus and do it now." says Telkis. He looks down at his stubby legs and for the first time in his life regrets his size. Aside, to Long Bo, he says, quietly, "I'm not a very good sprinter."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#425 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Jumps out the window. "Come I know a good place to go. Away from this cursed town."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by rredmond »

Mouser hesitates but a moment, looking below, thinking it's the best way to go. But he watches to see what the party does. He leaves the trap door open and will follow the majority of the party, whether out the window or down the trap door. Trusting his speed, he won't hurry to be first out. But as he waits for the others to get out, he quickly, and cursorily, checks for anything of value in this room that might make the trip out of the room with him.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by Zhym »

"Go," says Grothnak to Hoom, his voice dripping with contempt. "Save yourself. Leave these people to their doom." He turns to the others. "If you would save these people—if you would do what we came here to do—come with me. If you would save your own skin, follow the flower-blood coward." With that, he climbs down the trap door.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#428 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur Shimmerstone, gnome illusionist
Urdur shudders when he hears the old woman's shriek. "Our only chance at misdirection now lies deeper in this forsaken place." With that, he follows Grothnak down into the darkness.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#429 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis' eyes nearly roll out of his head at Grothnak's sanctimonious outburst. "He's only taking what he thinks the best way for us all to escape. And I wouldn't call running out there cowardice, since I believe it is almost certain death..." With that he also climbs down through the trapdoor into, as he believes, only slightly less certain death.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak, shamed, pauses and nods. He realizes that no one has asked Verity whether she would run, doubtless to be pursued, or hide, perhaps to be found. It may be too late for that now, however.

"Good luck," he says to those fleeing through the window. "Protect Verity," he adds if she decides to go with them. "Meet at the mill* if we survive."

With that, the half-orc descends.

* Unless someone can think of a better rendezvous point?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias looks at the map Telkis found. "Listen. Why would this map point to a location away from the town? Perhaps the source of this evil is in the Rushmoors! If so, we have nothing to gain by going below. The dogs can follow our scent there too."

He turns to Verity. "Do you know where the source of this evil lies? Is it under this church? Is it elsewhere?"

Pelias' face is weary from exertion, and he sees the same in others. "Look - the dogs and men are above us. We can get a very long head start on them. Drop some oil at the bottom of the stairs we descended, and they'll have to go all the way around and come back down."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Inferno »

Verity Clayborne:

Eager to flee her hellish prison, Verity moves toward the broken stained glass window. She begs the arguing men, "Please. If you divide, how can you trust one another when you regroup?"

Pelias asks her: "Do you know where the source of this evil lies? Is it under this church? Is it elsewhere?"

"All wealth in Briarsgate goes south... for the Dark Mother..." Verity repeats distantly.
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by AleBelly »

"Let's go with Hoom! We can trust the hermit to look after Verity and regroup outside of town. If you really want to help this town, brothers and sisters in arms, we must go south. In this town live sheep - we must strike the shepherd!"

Pelias exits via window.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis pauses on his way to the trap door, listening to Verity, then looks at his map, conflicted. "I hate to split the groups, dear, and the source may indeed lie south, but that doesn't mean the window is the best exit from this situation. They clearly have villagers posted outside, surrounding this place. We wouldn't make it far..." And with that he descends.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#435 Post by ToniXX »

Avril, torn between her two choices, finally decides to exit through the window as well. She's tired of dying below this terrible church and want's to get out. We'll meet you at the mill she says to the others who are choosing to stay behind.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#436 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sure, I can muddle this up some more... :D

Still only seeing one old woman in his way, Bo will not descend the stairs deeper into this place.

"Go where you will if you are afraid to run, but I am getting this poor girl to safety before doing anything else. We must listen to those who can help us."

With that, he exits the window and tries to help Verity out if he can. He will bit**slap the old woman if she tries to interfere.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#437 Post by Inferno »

The tales of terror continue in...

Chapter 10: Blessings of the Church of Horror ...(Grothnak, Telkis, Urdur)

Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers ...(Avril, Bo, Hoom, Ingrid, Mouser, Pelias, Verity)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun