Rider of Rohan

Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

#1 Post by Inferno »

Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Day Six.
An Abandoned Farmhouse outside the Village of Briarsgate
Dawn. Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

The bleak, grey smudge of dawn brightens imperceptibly and the twilight world of their dark crossing ends. The adventurers feel ready to collapse from exhaustion.

Avril checks the property and Moogeye joins her to scout this new terrain.

The young monk notes the unharvested corn crop that signals abandonment. They find the solitary, forlorn farmhouse still deserted. To Moogeye, the lonesome structure seems to have been left by its owners in a hurry. Tools, clothes and furniture remain, including four beds on the second floor. Out back, they see the morning mist swallowing visibility at one hundred feet. They find the water pump with fresh, clean, cold water, the half bushel of crisp autumn apples, and the old barn with the faint smell of death inside.

Finding nothing amiss, the adventures set a watch, pray, eat, and succumb into a deep slumber, still choosing not to speak of the dreadful things they discovered in the hellish, serpentine tunnels beneath the village, and their dire implications.

Their dreams, however, speak volumes.

Unbidden, the disturbing memories of the insidious reptilian atrocity, that they could not bring themselves to mention in their waking hours, haunts their nightmares with vile abandon.
the ghastly abomination.jpg
the ghastly abomination.jpg (154.28 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Whether by supernatural malevolent visitation, divine omens of doom, or simply the subconscious mind's desperate need to comprehend the inexplicable; the horrific graven images of unholy worship plague their restless sleep.
the masks.jpg
the masks.jpg (249.77 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
In the waking world, their watch cycles through without event. By afternoon, everyone is awake. Avril, Bo and Ingrid have recovered their holy gifts.

The Hookhill Road is quiet and the exhausted crows struggle to stay awake.

There is still no sign of Hoom or Mouser. The surviving investigators consider the next move in their desperate efforts to free Briarsgate from the sinister grip of profane evil.

Actions? and please roll for healing. Thanks.

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Thu May 12, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

#2 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak rises, stretches, and begins his morning routine of oiling his weapons and armor.

Heal 2nd HP? (1-6=Y) [1d10] = 6
2 HP recovered.

"We need healing," he says as he wipes Vadok's blade with a cloth. "I am still strong. I will keep watch while others rest."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo rises and stretches nearly to the sky. He feeds what he can to his exhausted avian friends and thanks them each before letting them go find their nests to sleep. He tucks little Sephus snugly into his hood where he nests, rewarding him the most.

I will wait to see what our clerics can do for our wounds before I use my magic. They always seem to be able to do a better job than I at that.

He then addresses the fighters of the group, figuring that they most certainly have a plan in mind.

What is our next move masters Grothnak and Telkis?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

"I think we should learn more," Grothnak answers Bo. "We know that a cult of a reptile god is behind the problems here. But we do not know how to fight it. So far, we have only sliced its toes. We must cut off its head. To do that, we need to talk to people."

"Maybe we should try talking to the hermit again. Or try the elves."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye performs her silent morning stretches not quite in silence. Several bruised and scuffed joints pop loudly, and there is a great deal of wincing. "Perhaps a se—ow!—a second visit to the hermit may—hoof!—prove helpful."

She goes into her final position of the exercise, Purple Worm Saluting the Sun, and stops to cock an eyebrow when Grothnak suggests visiting the elves. "Elves? Of what sort?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

"Two elves are said to live in a small cottage at the end of the road," answers Grothnak. "I don't know what kind. Hoom said he tried to speak to them when we got to town, but no one answered the door."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

If anyone was able to resist the possession of evil in this place, I think the elves are as good a bet as any others. We could try them now and decide where to go form there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak wrinkles his brow in thought. "We are known in this town," he says. "Cultists want us dead. Non-cultists do not want the attention we bring. I don't think it's smart to visit anyone in daylight as a large group. Only the cover of night and the forest prevented our discovery at the hermit's home. We need a way to talk to potential allies without bringing trouble to them."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by AleBelly »

Inferno wrote:The Confession of the Strange Old Hermit:

"That evil took root a year ago, at the Foaming Mug Inn."[/dialog]
The adventurers knew the building:
    • [b][url=http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209299#p209299]DM[/url][/b] wrote:An Abandoned Building. (16*) The doors and windows of this large, battered and weatherbeaten building are boarded up. A sign lies face down in the weeds before the broken porch. The roof has several holes.
        • “The old Foaming Mug Inn. A dozen townsfolk were found murdered there one morning, including the proprietor. A sword fight. But no one ever discovered the reason. Those people were friends and neighbors! The building’s been abandoned ever since. A year now, I reckon.” -Felicity and Killian Gade
The old man continues, "I stupidly thought it had been stopped there. Stupid, foolish old man.
"It reappeared at the Golden Grain Inn."

"Then it spread... to the Holy Church of beloved Merikka," he says in a voice as broken as his heart.
The hermit grunts, "Those three places. There beats the heart of evil in Briarsgate.
"I propose that we focus on places, rather than people. We will do well to investigate the source - The Foaming Mug. Perhaps we may find clues to the root of this evil there" suggests Pelias. "But Grothnak's warning still stands. It is probably best to do this under the cover of darkness, no matter where we go. Then there is the matter of our health. We will not face battle well in our current state. I propose we rest another day and those of us with healing powers apply them as necessary. What say you?"

HP roll coming later, or you can make it if you want, Inferno. Just don't have access to my character sheet.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Recalling the report of the wilted Eildon plant, afraid of what she'd find, Avril no longer has the same interest in seeking out the elves in town she once did. "I agree that we should remain holed up here, where we're proven to be safe, and restore our vitality." Without waiting for a reaction or response to her opinion, she begins to examine the conditions of her companions, and, judging Telkis, Moogeye, Ingrid, and Long Bo to be the most in need, she prays to Corellon and, moving from one to the next, she issues her divine healing abilities upon them.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid regains 1 HP from the rest, and 3 HP from Avril's CLW.

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Revitalized and inspired by the holy workings of Avril, Ingrid channels Trithereon's healing power through her prayers.

CLW on Moogeye [1d8] = 8
CLW on Avril [1d8] = 8 :o
CLW on Telkis [1d8] = 7

She still feels some energy surging through her body, but saves it for later...
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis takes his turn at watch in a daze, then sleeps as if dead. When he awakes he feels... quite a bit better.
1 point of healing from rest: Extra Healing (20% chance): [1d10] = 6
After the healing from Moogeye and Ingrid, he feels like he could punch a cave bear into next Krullsday. Or a mindless cultist ...the poor bastards. He remembers that ultimately, they are innocents in this whole mess. As was Finster. He seeks out a local mouse to find Finster's parents if possible and break the news of Finster's death. He will, of course, put the maximum amount of heroic spin in relating his end. It takes very little exaggeration - Finster was, in fact, the bravest mouse he ever met.

Afterwards he gets in his morning training exercises... and has an insight. If applied correctly, with a few adjustments, his tunnel fighting method could be applied to a short blade like the one Hoom wields. He thinks it through. Yes, I'll have to give that a try he thinks. If I ever run across a blade like that I can claim.
Telkis in now proficient in Short Sword just by thinking about it.
He's that good.
:)
"It would be nice to find some allies in this, but I'd not like to put anyone else in danger. Perhaps Pelias is right on this one."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Inferno »

Day Six.
Between 3pm and 4pm. Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.

At the seeming safety of the farmhouse of the dead family, the remaining investigators of Briarsgate regroup, strengthened from food and rest.

Avril and Ingrid manifest the healing powers of their gods, with miraculous results. Truly, this desperate undertaking is blessed by divine providence.

Long Bo lets the murder of crows take its rest.

Telkis walks solemnly to the overgrown cornfield and is met by four fat field mice, emboldened by the sleeping crows. They scurry up to him and squeak, "Master gnome! We see you've returned! Where is dear Finster and his two mice-at-arms! Are they staying with Jenkins in the village? Please regale the tale of their daring bravery and glorious adventure! We just can't wait to hear! Please, sir? Please?"

The adventurers discuss a plan of attack against their insidious enemy, but consensus is not yet reached.

Actions?

DM Notes:
Pelias: extra hit point in healing? (50%): [1d100] = 71 Nope.

Zhym, Grothnak gets a new weapons proficiency this level. There is no training requirement before 5th level in this game. It would be cool if Grothnak chose a weapon he came in contact with, but I won't place restrictions on your choice. Thanks.
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo suddenly thinks of something.

Should we not seek out the other two members of our group?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by AleBelly »

"Yes" replies Pelias sardonically. "We need someone to burn this farmhouse down, don't we?" Embarrassed at his loss of control, he adds a bit meekly "They can find us. They know of this place, and did not face the same battles we did. We need to rest."

Pelias 2nd HP from rest 1-yes 2-no [1d2] = 2

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak shoots a stern look at the paladin. "We should," he says in answer to Bo's question. "And we are now in good health, though without healing should we need it in battle. But I do not know where we would look for them without drawing attention. Pelias is right about one thing: it will be easier for them to find us here than for us to find them."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis hears the mice's eager questioning and his face droops even more than before. He steels himself. Well, you see ...Finster was very brave - the bravest and most heroic mouse I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. But, ah... he put forth everything that he had to help us rid this land of the evil that would ruin the grain crops and send you all into starvation. He fought it ...and met his untimely end, I'm afraid." Telkis pauses and collects himself. "Perhaps I never should have asked him to help. But he was unafraid till the end. Finster is a hero! And if it is any consolation to you, my dear mice, we have avenged his death. ...Still, there are more dangerous foes left to be vanquished. I would advise you to be extremely careful until we are able to bring it to an end. It is more than any one mouse can handle, no matter how brave."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye studiously avoids entering the conversation about the missing members of the party.

"However many there are in this cult, they will be looking for us, and it is only a matter of time before they examine this farm. If there is a place we may observe the village unseen, it may do some good to keep a watch while we rest; we may even uncover more cult members if we see them helping in a search. I feel up to it; would any volunteer to accompany?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Inferno »

Day Six.
Between 3pm and 4pm. Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.

At the farm of the hanged family...
dead familys barn.jpg
dead familys barn.jpg (187.61 KiB) Viewed 5535 times

...the mice are bewildered and crestfallen to hear of the death of their friend and brother, Finster. With faces longer than Telkis', they slink home and ready the wake of a hero who nobly sacrificed his life for others, with stirring eulogies of bravery and valiance.

Meanwhile, the adventurers plot their next move against the cult of the reptile god.

Actions?

Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Swordsman
Starbeard wrote:Moogeye studiously avoids entering the conversation about the missing members of the party.

"However many there are in this cult, they will be looking for us, and it is only a matter of time before they examine this farm. If there is a place we may observe the village unseen, it may do some good to keep a watch while we rest; we may even uncover more cult members if we see them helping in a search. I feel up to it; would any volunteer to accompany?"
I'm afraid I'm not much good at sneaking around unnoticed. Our best candidates for that are... unaccounted for..." Telkis winces. "I don't dare ask the mice for any more help." Telkis will climb to the second floor and peer out a window in the direction of town for any signs of movement. Before he goes up he'll ask to be notified if the group plans to move out or remain here another day.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”