Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

#261 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Yes, a burning inn would be the least of your worries, if you knew the real danger," says Telkis looking meaningfully towards Long Bo with his bag of heads. "We're here to root it out."

After another moment enduring suspicious glances he says "What's the matter? You never seen a gnome before? You'll thank your deity me and these other weirdos came to your town before it's all over. ...The name's Telkis."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak scowls as his companions dance around the issue of who burned the Golden Grain Inn.

"Some of us burned it, yes," he says. "Others were inside fighting un-living evils while it burned."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye Comcra, monk

The monk stays by the cellar stairs, watching the group with a hand resting on her glaive-guisarme. She says nothing, but periodically looks up the stairs to see if she can keep an eye on the man they saw keeping watch.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#264 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The long Bo steps forward with his dripping bag in hand.

My friends speak the truth! We have slain some of the denizens of pure evil that are now plaguing your town. We believe that a higher force of great evil is at work here, controlling your friends and neighbors with mind possession.

He opens the bag and looks inside at the contents, shaking his head for dramatic effect.

These may be a little disturbing to look at but, this should prove to you all that there is more going on here than you know. Please turn away if you have a weak stomach.

He begins dumping the heads out on the floor.

We need to locate wherever it is that these things came from. Once we find the monsters lair, we can cut off the monsters head! Are there any nasty bogs nearby that you know of? Or swamps?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by hedgeknight »

Ingrid Esthof

"Whatever was done in the effort to stop this evil is worth it. I know I speak for all of my companions, we will help repair any building that is destroyed as we cleanse the infection that has taken over many of your fellow townsfolk. And myself and my fellow clerics will also do what we can to spiritually cleans this town and ease the suffering of those enthralled by evil's taint."
Winter is coming...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Inferno »

Day Seven.
Briarsgate. The Abandoned Windmill
(NW of 24)
Early morning. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

In a dim, windowless chamber beneath the abandoned windmill, the investigators of Briarsgate interrupt a clandestine, dawn meeting between the old hermit and a group of townsfolk whose identities are veiled by darkness. A lone candle cannot hope to overcome the pitch shadows that shroud face, features and form.

One silhouette of a suspicious villager rasps, "Please. Tell us. Is it true? ...Did you burn down the Golden Grain Inn?" and the strange old hermit grows silent and grim, lowering his head and wringing his cracked hands.

Above them, fear and anxiety likewise etch the face of the man serving as lookout. He nervously paces the ground floor, passing in and out of Moogeye's sight.

Mouser the thief denies any involvement in the burning of the inn. Then proud Grothnak admits to it. Fear and confusion sparks among the men. A voice spits in frustration, "One of them is lying!"

Another man wants to trust the steady tone of the grim half-orc warrior. "Wait. 'Tis true. They did burn down the inn!"

One murmurs, "Merikka be praised! Thank you, good sirs! We are in your debt. ...Does this mean the troubles of Briarsgate are over?"

Then all the hidden villagers speak at once.

"Please, kind sirs... Who are you? How have you come to be our saviors?" a young man's voice asks from the shadows.

Another young man humbly reminds Long Bo of the vast, sprawling marsh south of Briarsgate: "Th-the Rushmoors, good sir. It's said they are why our farmland is so fertile."
    • Briarsgate Vicinity.jpg
      Briarsgate Vicinity.jpg (146.11 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
In reply to Ingrid's promises, a vague shape rasps, "Please, young miss. What god do you serve?"
After hearing the answer, he takes Pelias' peace offering and drinks deep. "The Foaming Mug Inn? But none have set foot inside there for coming on a year now I reckon!"

An old farmer turns from Telkis, ashamed that his rude curiosity did not go unseen.

As talk turns to "ethereal lizards" and "unliving evil," whispers of disbelief and incredulity take root. Then Long Bo empties his stinking, bloody sack.

Inhuman skulls come tumbling out, splattering on the wooden floor with a sickly wet thud. A black pool grows around them. And a rank stench.
Reptilian 1.jpg
Reptilian 1.jpg (208.36 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
The shadowy villagers recoil at the decapitated heads of the serpentine abominations... and at the dread ramifications, and terrible, undeniable certainties they starkly represent.
"What?!?"
"No!"
"They seem intelligent! ...Evil!"
"Sweet Merikka!"
"What in the name of Hell are they?"

Actions?

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye Comcra, monk

"They are the effects of the seduction of evil. They performed their evil on some of the villagers, or at a time were them, or masqueraded as them: we have found trinkets and baubles in their possession that once belonged to members of your village. These heads are merely a demonstration of the plague that still exists beneath this village, not the extermination of it."

Having said her piece, Moogeye scales to the top floor and speaks with the lookout. "A nervous foot spoils a watchful eye. You will be mindful of that. Have you seen anyone else approach?" She looks out with him.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias looks over the assembled townsfolk. "I admire your courage, resisting this evil force despite the obvious danger." He looks to the hermit. "Perhaps now you will trust us? Have any of you any information regarding the source of this evil? We are aware that the elves seem to have departed this town. Is there any information that would be of value to us...and you?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by hedgeknight »

In reply to Ingrid's promises, a vague shape rasps, "Please, young miss. What god do you serve?"
Ingrid stands up a bit straighter. "I serve Trithereon the Summoner who believe that all deserve life and the ability to choose their own place in the world. Those who would shackle others be it by physical, emotional, or mental means must be stopped! I believe with all my heart, good sir, that we are here to do Trithereon's bidding. Won't you and your friends help us?"
Winter is coming...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Grognardsw »

"And punished for their evil deeds!" states Grey Mouser emphatically after the cleric's rousing words.

"And I would have their gold."

A few awkward seconds later he adds: "To repay those honest townsfolk, and survivors who were driven away."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#271 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

They are evil incarnate. Reptilian in form but like no other I have ever encountered. They are clearly the servants of a higher power. A power that we intend to snuff out. We cannot allow these perversions of nature to run amuck throughout the lands.

He turns to the man that replied to his question.

Ah yes, the Rushmoors. That would most certainly be a place where things like these could live and thrive. Tell me good sirs, have any of you ever seen strange things coming and going through these lands? If we could find a trail leading from your town into the swamplands, we should easily be able to find their lair.

He turns again to the hermit. He looks for any clues on the man that might reveal that he is indeed a fellow druid. He even goes so far as making a few secret druidical signs and symbols, hoping that the man catches on to what he is trying to do.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis breathes a sigh of relief. Finally some good people. He thinks. "Are all the people that can be trusted here, now in this room, or are there others of you out there? And what about that temple? Do you suspect it to be a refuge for evil here? Are there any ways of getting into it besides the front door?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by hedgeknight »

Grognardsw wrote:"And punished for their evil deeds!" states Grey Mouser emphatically after the cleric's rousing words.
"And I would have their gold."
A few awkward seconds later he adds: "To repay those honest townsfolk, and survivors who were driven away."
Ingrid glances sideways at Mouser and gives him a mischievous wink and nod.

Nice reply, Grog! :lol:
Winter is coming...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Inferno »

Day Seven.
(NW of 24)

The shadowy villagers recoil at the decapitated heads of the serpentine abominations... and at the dread ramifications, and terrible, undeniable certainties they starkly represent.
"What?!?"
"No!"
"They seem intelligent! ...Evil!"
"Sweet Merikka!"
"What in the name of Hell are they?"

Noble Pelias Blanchflower looks to the hermit. "Perhaps now you will trust us? Have any of you any information regarding the source of this evil? We are aware that the elves seem to have departed this town. Is there any information that would be of value to us...and you?"

The old hermit croaks, "When we first met, I trusted you enough to name three places. For the life of me, I don't know why. But I'm glad I did. After seeing the Golden Grain Inn burned to the ground, my trust grew. That’s why I just brought you down here, instead of sending you away."

Telkis Brassfang asks, "Are all the people that can be trusted here, now in this room, or are there others of you out there?"

The hermit mutters, "These villagers are those I trust, if any in Briarsgate can be trusted. I won’t compel them to give their names, for the safety of their families. I asked others to come as well, but they did not."
He looks at the adventurers. "I saw your fine handiwork at the Golden Grain. You mentioned you went to the Foaming Mug. What of the third place I told you of?"

Telkis asks, "...that temple? Do you suspect it to be a refuge for evil here? Are there any ways of getting into it besides the front door?"

"I told you I suspect it," the hermit grunts. "It's through those gates or over the wall."

Anxious murmurs ripple through the obscured townsfolk at the idea that the blessed Church of Merikka could be involved in these dark matters.

Moogeye Comcra climbs upstairs and joins the lookout, making him more uncomfortable. "Have you seen anyone else approach?" she asks.
"....No... miss..." he replies, shyly meeting her gaze and holding it for too long. The young nun had little experience with men, but realization slowly dawns on her.
"...my name is Ennis Twaine.... Who... are you, please? If'n you don't mind my askin'."

Below, Grey Mouser makes a slip that goes unnoticed by the farmers.

Long Bo asks about the Rushmoors and someone replies, "Those dark bogs are leagues from here, and as large as a small nation. I know of no secret trails within that forbidding place. Most folks would rather steer clear of its deadly dangers, sir, than find a way in." The decrepit hermit nods doesn't seem to note Bo's secret signals.

Ingrid Esthof says, "I believe with all my heart, good sir, that we are here to do Trithereon's bidding. Won't you and your friends help us?"

"Yes!" several dark shapes insist in earnest.
"How may we aid you?"
"What can we do?"
"I am ready to fight for my land and my kin!"
"As am I!"

The hermit limps to the light beneath the trapdoor in the ceiling. His rickety frame is a knot of worry. “It seems the enemy is targeting the church and the inns."

"Yes," a shadowy villager agrees. "The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent is now shut. Belba and Ollwin Cralloon have run off... or been taken!"

Gasps and rumbles of unease.

The hermit continues, "Inns and churches. What common thread do they share? They're gathering places. Crowds speed the spread of this insidious contagion.
"That's something that's been troubling me,"
he grumbles as he glares at the inhuman, horrific heads at their feet. "Are we to believe that the goal of these heinous abominations is to dominate a small farming village?"
hermit eyes.jpg
hermit eyes.jpg (82.06 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Actions?

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"Briarsgate may be their first move in a devious plot to take over the countryside," warns Grey. "Hookshill may next - I recall a town official owned an inn in that larger city?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye Comcra, monk

Moogeye looks at the young farmer Ennis Twaine for a long moment without visible expression.

"My name is Moogeye Comcra, initiate of the abbey at Sterich and itinerant in the example set forth by Fharlanghn the Dweller on the Horizon. The abbey takes brothers as well; if you seek experience you will go there and learn many things about the world. Today you keep watch."

She maintains the lookout and keeps an ear pointed toward the cellar, and adds a comment to the Grey Mouser's speculations. "They may already have a foothold in Hookshill. It may very well be that we heard of evil in Briarsgate only because this village is small enough that such evil could not go unnoticed."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter

"Well they got to start somewhere, I suppose..." he replies. "Unless there's some reason they chose this place. Something they're after. Are there any magical artifacts or the like stored in that temple?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by hedgeknight »

Ingrid Esthof, Cleric of Trithereon

Ingrid smiles at the enthusiasm of the villagers and says, "Your village is indeed blessed to have men stout of heart, willing to defend their fellow man from these heinous creatures. If this is your secret base of operations, if it is indeed a safe house, it will need to be stocked with supplies and weapons. Do you have access to food and weapons? Fresh water and bandages? If...when we investigate the temple, for assuredly that is where we must go, we will need a safe place to fall back to for rest and recuperation. Can we count on you to shore this place up and make it so?"
Winter is coming...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Inferno »

Day Seven.
(NW of 24)

Those opposed to the mysterious evil of Briarsgate postulate the sinister motives and methods of their insidious enemy. As they plot, fearful faces move in and out of the black void of shadows beneath the abandoned windmill.

Admonished by Moogeye, Ennis Twaine silently returns to his lookout duties. Sharp-eared Telkis remembers the name Twaine. It was the old farmer he spoke to upon first passing through the gate of rosebriars.

"There are relics of blessed Merikka in the church," the silhouette of a different farmer answers Telkis. "But none can speak of their magical properties."

"Hookhill?" grumbles the strange, wizzened hermit at Mouser, eyes still downcast at the decapitated horrors. He frowns hard as his gravelly voice croaks, "I'd wager the damned secret masters of this invisible conspiracy hunger to spread their contagious evil to Hookhill, and beyond. Instead of controlling dozens, they could dominate the wills of thousands."

He disagrees with Moogeye, gently. "I don't know. Maybe the dense crush of relentless civilization would let this infectious bane go more easily unnoticed."

A shadowed farmer offers, "Need we isolate our village against the outside world? Any who leave us might carry this black plague of the soul with them!"

Another tremulously stammers, "I-If we are to quarantine Briarsgate, should we also try to prevent people from coming here? Block the roads from Hookhill and Hochoch?"

Hysteria tinged the edges of some of the disembodied voices. For too long, the residents of the forsaken village had remained quiet on this topic, for the sake of themselves, their families, and their sanity. Now that they were with other like minded folk, they found it hard to stop talking. It was a horrible relief to know they weren't going mad. At least their minds were still safe, if not their lives, their families and their fortunes.

The hermit doesn't answer them. Instead he squints at the heroes who are lit from above by the open trapdoor and mutters, "Where's the elf that was with you?"

At Ingrid's request, the villagers gladly, gratefully promise they will stock the windmill's basement as a safe house for their saviors, the brave adventurers. When she says, "If... when we investigate the temple, for assuredly that is where we must go..." their minds turn inexorably to that foreboding, walled structure.
Church of Merikka.jpg
Church of Merikka.jpg (462.7 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
Church of Merikka Map.jpg
Church of Merikka Map.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Actions?
    • OM and Ale: I'm keeping this moving along, but feel free to reply to anything earlier in this conversation. :)

Zhym and dmw: I know you're both tied up with RL, but that goes for you two too. :)

Thanks.

Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#280 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo pipes in after thinking hard and long. Mostly long.

If even one of those possessed spots you bringing provisions in here, this will be the next building that they burn to the ground.

The druid totally detests big gaudy churches and always has. However, if the path to this town's salvation runs through the temple, then he is willing to investigate the gloomy edifice.

Perhaps you should wait until we check out the temple before shutting down the town completely. We may just find that the ringleader of this cult is using the place as his base of operations right here in town, under our very noses.

Any knowledge of the layout of the place would sure be helpful if we are to sneak in the back way. If there even is a back way.

Is there?

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”