Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

#321 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

On second thought, I don't think it would be right for me to ask someone else to endanger themselves with my potion. I will take the elixir and go inside first.

How about this?

I turn myself into one of the horrible snakemen and bring one or two of you along with me into the temple as my captives. You would have to be loosely bound and gagged of course to make the ruse seem real. You would be fully armed and armored however, so if things go bad, you would still be able to shed your ties and take action against our enemy.

I think the sheer shock value of this plan might just work in our favor as the church leaders certainly wont expect such a clandestine approach at this time of the day. I just don't think we can afford to wait any longer to show our hand here.

Any thoughts or arguments on this plan?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Zhym »

"Your plan is clever, but fiddly," answers Grothnak. "What if the temple is not a place snake men travel to openly? Especially in open daylight? They would know right away that something is wrong."

Turning to the Mouser, he says, "Any of us could overcome the walls by using the potion. But are you not trained in climbing walls?"

"I have a grappling hook and rope. We could use that to scale the wall at night."
I forgot Grothnak had that!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Grognardsw »

"The wall is not the issue, but rather investigating inside and possibly under the church," says Grey Mouser. "Turning into a mouse could make that easy."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Zhym »

"The old ma—er, hermi—" Grothnak starts to reply, when he realizes he doesn't know the old hermit's name. He turns to the man. "What is your name, sir?" he asks, then turns back to address the Mouser. "The...man...is right. We need to stay together. We scout together, or enter together, but can no longer send lone scouts."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#325 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

Damn my stupidity! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

He turns to the nameless hermit and his friends.

Do any of you know for a fact that one or all of the constables here have been affected by this curse?

He turns back to the others.

If we can figure out who is running the show here, I might be able to change into one of them and seek out some answers from the unknowing priests that way. They would believe our ruse if the sheriff himself brought us all into the place for questioning or whatnot.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Inferno »

DM:

"Ramne," grunts the old beggar to Grothnak. "Though no one's called me that in a very long time."

None of the obscured townsfolk can say whether or not the constables, or the Magistrate, are corrupted by the venomous evil of Briarsgate.
    • pronounced "RAM-nee"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye Comcra

"I believe the bulk of us should stick together, but it would be foolish to enter the temple as a group with no knowledge of the situation within. The potion should cancel most of the dangers of sending in a lone scout. A mouse or small bird will be the simplest and surest way of gaining immediate information, but impersonating a person of importance, or even a simple guard or follower, will allow the opportunity of gaining deeper knowledge—but at greater risk.

"For my part, I suggest a mouse—either one of us transmorphed, or one of our brave rodent friends—will be able to view the interior safely and report back with us only losing half an hour at most."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias clears his throat. "I see two options. We approach the temple together, at full strength and with our full complement of magical powers. Or, " he turns to Telkis, "our brave companion asks his murine friend to scout for us. It is too dangerous to travel alone. We have already lost Hoom. We cannot lose another..."

The paladin places his hand on Telkis' shoulder. "The decision is yours. I know it weighs heavy on your conscience. I will support your course of action."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis stares meaningfully up at Pelias for a moment, then looks around the room at the others before finally turning his gaze back to the paladin.

"Thank you. ...what does 'murine' mean?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Grognardsw »

"The druid holds sway over marine animals as well, Telkis," answers Grey with a smile. "Perhaps we could reconnoiter the river?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Zhym »

Over a week and we still haven't come to a decision. :D

"Talk, talk, talk," gripes the half-orc. "Enough talk! Let us use the day to have an animal scout, if one will, and the night to explore the church together."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#333 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

Our indecision will be our undoing, just as much if not more then simply waiting around to do nothing till dark.

I have another idea that will require some help from one of these trusted townspeople but, at least it is something that we can try right away. I could turn myself into something small and innocuous with the magic of the potion. Possibly a field mouse or a common housefly? I could catch a "ride" into the temple inside that persons boot or pants cuff. Once inside, I will scurry into a safe hiding place where I can observe and listen to what the priests have to say.

While I seek out a good spot to hide, my accomplice slash delivery person will spring a terrifying diversion. This diversion should be something that really makes them freak out. My suggestion would be to have someone go inside with one of the heads in the bag and ask to see the high priest or whoever else is in charge. My accomplice will then ask that person if they think that the town is still safe with these types of creatures running around the place. That is when they should dump the head out of the bag onto the floor with the full dramatic flare of someone who is sincerely frightened. They could claim that they found the severed head and demand some answers as to what is going on here. Once my so called accomplice is satisfied by their explanation, they can leave the temple. Then, when the priests are alone, I might get to overhear what they really have to say about things around here. We should be able to get some answers that way.

Unless the clergy isn't really involved in this mess. In which case, at least we know that we can rule them out as suspects.
The lanky man paces the floor a bit longer, waiting for this idea to also be shot down. He is a man of action and waiting around to let animals do the work of their masters does not appeal to him in the least.

This isn't a request by the way. If the groups plan is to sit here until dark, I will go and do this alone. The magic of my potion should last for a good long time. Time enough for me to get the answers that we seek. If something should go wrong and I don't return within an hour or so and you all get sick of waiting around, then come kick in the doors of the place and demand to know where I am. That should get the party started as well.

The druid doesn't really expect anyone to go along with this plan so, he prepares to go about this alone if he must. He looks at the group of frightened townspeople.

Well? Any good actors in this bunch that want to risk their lives for a little while in order to save their town? It could make for a great story to brag about to the ladies some day.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by Zhym »

"NO," grunts Grothnak before the druid is even done talking. "No one goes off alone. Did you not hear Ramne? No one goes off alone!"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Inferno »

DM:

Unfortunately, no townsperson volunteers to bring a reptilian head to the church. They're afraid to show their faces to you, let alone to people who may be corrupted by the evil of Briarsgate.

They had volunteered to join a full assault. But not to enter alone, or with only a few of the heroes.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Inferno »

Our chilling tale of terror continues in: Chapter 9: Temple of Fear.
DM:

Player: