It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:17 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13891
Location: Packerland
Bo

On second thought, I don't think it would be right for me to ask someone else to endanger themselves with my potion. I will take the elixir and go inside first.

How about this?

I turn myself into one of the horrible snakemen and bring one or two of you along with me into the temple as my captives. You would have to be loosely bound and gagged of course to make the ruse seem real. You would be fully armed and armored however, so if things go bad, you would still be able to shed your ties and take action against our enemy.

I think the sheer shock value of this plan might just work in our favor as the church leaders certainly wont expect such a clandestine approach at this time of the day. I just don't think we can afford to wait any longer to show our hand here.

Any thoughts or arguments on this plan?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
"Your plan is clever, but fiddly," answers Grothnak. "What if the temple is not a place snake men travel to openly? Especially in open daylight? They would know right away that something is wrong."

Turning to the Mouser, he says, "Any of us could overcome the walls by using the potion. But are you not trained in climbing walls?"

"I have a grappling hook and rope. We could use that to scale the wall at night."
I forgot Grothnak had that!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
"The wall is not the issue, but rather investigating inside and possibly under the church," says Grey Mouser. "Turning into a mouse could make that easy."

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:18 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
"The old ma—er, hermi—" Grothnak starts to reply, when he realizes he doesn't know the old hermit's name. He turns to the man. "What is your name, sir?" he asks, then turns back to address the Mouser. "The...man...is right. We need to stay together. We scout together, or enter together, but can no longer send lone scouts."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:36 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13891
Location: Packerland
Bo

Damn my stupidity! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

He turns to the nameless hermit and his friends.

Do any of you know for a fact that one or all of the constables here have been affected by this curse?

He turns back to the others.

If we can figure out who is running the show here, I might be able to change into one of them and seek out some answers from the unknowing priests that way. They would believe our ruse if the sheriff himself brought us all into the place for questioning or whatnot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:16 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9659
Location: 1977
DM:

"Ramne," grunts the old beggar to Grothnak. "Though no one's called me that in a very long time."

None of the obscured townsfolk can say whether or not the constables, or the Magistrate, are corrupted by the venomous evil of Briarsgate.

      pronounced "RAM-nee"

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am
Posts: 2889
Location: England
Moogeye Comcra

"I believe the bulk of us should stick together, but it would be foolish to enter the temple as a group with no knowledge of the situation within. The potion should cancel most of the dangers of sending in a lone scout. A mouse or small bird will be the simplest and surest way of gaining immediate information, but impersonating a person of importance, or even a simple guard or follower, will allow the opportunity of gaining deeper knowledge—but at greater risk.

"For my part, I suggest a mouse—either one of us transmorphed, or one of our brave rodent friends—will be able to view the interior safely and report back with us only losing half an hour at most."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:25 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2542
Telkis shifts uncomfortably at the mention of asking the brave mice for further assistance. "We shouldn't split up again. Won't any good come of it," he says.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:55 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias clears his throat. "I see two options. We approach the temple together, at full strength and with our full complement of magical powers. Or, " he turns to Telkis, "our brave companion asks his murine friend to scout for us. It is too dangerous to travel alone. We have already lost Hoom. We cannot lose another..."

The paladin places his hand on Telkis' shoulder. "The decision is yours. I know it weighs heavy on your conscience. I will support your course of action."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:37 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2542
Telkis stares meaningfully up at Pelias for a moment, then looks around the room at the others before finally turning his gaze back to the paladin.

"Thank you. ...what does 'murine' mean?"

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:13 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
"The druid holds sway over marine animals as well, Telkis," answers Grey with a smile. "Perhaps we could reconnoiter the river?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:15 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
Over a week and we still haven't come to a decision. :D

"Talk, talk, talk," gripes the half-orc. "Enough talk! Let us use the day to have an animal scout, if one will, and the night to explore the church together."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13891
Location: Packerland
Bo

Our indecision will be our undoing, just as much if not more then simply waiting around to do nothing till dark.

I have another idea that will require some help from one of these trusted townspeople but, at least it is something that we can try right away. I could turn myself into something small and innocuous with the magic of the potion. Possibly a field mouse or a common housefly? I could catch a "ride" into the temple inside that persons boot or pants cuff. Once inside, I will scurry into a safe hiding place where I can observe and listen to what the priests have to say.

While I seek out a good spot to hide, my accomplice slash delivery person will spring a terrifying diversion. This diversion should be something that really makes them freak out. My suggestion would be to have someone go inside with one of the heads in the bag and ask to see the high priest or whoever else is in charge. My accomplice will then ask that person if they think that the town is still safe with these types of creatures running around the place. That is when they should dump the head out of the bag onto the floor with the full dramatic flare of someone who is sincerely frightened. They could claim that they found the severed head and demand some answers as to what is going on here. Once my so called accomplice is satisfied by their explanation, they can leave the temple. Then, when the priests are alone, I might get to overhear what they really have to say about things around here. We should be able to get some answers that way.

Unless the clergy isn't really involved in this mess. In which case, at least we know that we can rule them out as suspects.
The lanky man paces the floor a bit longer, waiting for this idea to also be shot down. He is a man of action and waiting around to let animals do the work of their masters does not appeal to him in the least.

This isn't a request by the way. If the groups plan is to sit here until dark, I will go and do this alone. The magic of my potion should last for a good long time. Time enough for me to get the answers that we seek. If something should go wrong and I don't return within an hour or so and you all get sick of waiting around, then come kick in the doors of the place and demand to know where I am. That should get the party started as well.

The druid doesn't really expect anyone to go along with this plan so, he prepares to go about this alone if he must. He looks at the group of frightened townspeople.

Well? Any good actors in this bunch that want to risk their lives for a little while in order to save their town? It could make for a great story to brag about to the ladies some day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:25 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
"NO," grunts Grothnak before the druid is even done talking. "No one goes off alone. Did you not hear Ramne? No one goes off alone!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9659
Location: 1977
DM:

Unfortunately, no townsperson volunteers to bring a reptilian head to the church. They're afraid to show their faces to you, let alone to people who may be corrupted by the evil of Briarsgate.

They had volunteered to join a full assault. But not to enter alone, or with only a few of the heroes.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9659
Location: 1977
Our chilling tale of terror continues in: Chapter 9: Temple of Fear.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group