Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

Inferno
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

#201 Post by dmw71 »

Avril continues to scan the periphery, and allows Long Bo and the others to continue the dialogue with the strange, old man and his pet wolf.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak narrows his eyes and scowls at the cragged old man. "Even a hermit could not be unaware of the evil that has overcome this town," he says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#203 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

Indeed. Are you telling me that, even though you live here, you know nothing of this towns problems? Do you not think that sounds a little suspicious?

We are here to help.

You don't seem like an evil monster to me, so why don't you tell us anything that you have seen or heard about the demise of Briarsgate.

The detect evil capability is stunted a bit in this game, OM, to keep from making things too easy. ;)
Yes, I remember that. I thought he might still register as really evil if he was the one running the show here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by AleBelly »

"We cannot pretend to understand the torment you must have endured as evil has subsumed this town. Skepticism of outsiders and self-reliance have served you well, my good fellow, for you seem one of the few that have not been touched in the head. And I cannot say that aiding us would be without risk. But I would trouble you to point us in the right direction, sir. We aim to remove the scourge that has possessed the people of this town. Where would you start, if you were inclined to take up such a mission?" asks Pelias.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis isn't sure what to make of the hermit. He doesn't strike him as evil, per se. But then again, he couldn't have been more wrong about the innkeeper at the Golden Grain... Telkis waits patiently with his bow lowered but at the ready.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Between 9 and 10pm.
Damp, chilly, misty.

In a dark and eerie grove, the adventurers face a wolf and an old hermit before a Dilapidated Hovel (27*).
wolf watches.jpg
wolf watches.jpg (82.87 KiB) Viewed 961 times
The wolf watches and the man holds his tongue while the adventurers alternately challenge, berate and implore him to speak. The aged beggar remains silent through the paladin's eloquent plea but the hubris, scorn and skepticism of the druid and the half-orc proves too much for him, and his cautious, expressionless mask slowly cracks, and then explodes.

Grothnak narrows his eyes and scowls at the cragged old man. "Even a hermit could not be unaware of the evil that has overcome this town."

"What the hell do you know about it?" the old man's broken voice snarls with contempt from out of the darkness.

Bo says, "...You don't seem like an evil monster to me..."

“Hah! An evil monster? Is that what the goddamned evildoers of Briarsgate look like?! Monsters!? the ancient hermit growls with rage, spittle flying from his lips.
"If you 'investigators' know so damned much about the scourge of Briarsgate, how can you trust me? I could be one of them, you damn fools! ...And so could you!"

The wolf gets to her feet at the fear and anger in her master's voice. "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

“Trust the wrong man with information in Briarsgate and you betray innocent lives! I know. I've done it, may all the gods damn my eternal soul to Hell! Want to know whose blood is on my hands?!" the mendicant rants, wild-eyed, thrusting out his empty palms.
"Men. Women. Children. All dead, or worse! Because of me! I betrayed them! Betrayed them to smiling, fair faced 'friends!' Well intentioned, trustworthy!... only wanting for information! Not meaning any harm at all! he shouts with all-consuming hatred. His weathered visage is twisted in harrowing torment.
Just like Pelias' face last night.

"RAUGH!" barks the wolf.

The old man barks at the strangers too: No! No, goddamn you! No more! No more deaths on my conscience. The weight is already too much to bear. You get the hell out of here! How can I trust any of you with another innocent life?!”

Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 16/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias replies calmly, his face a mask of solemnity and pain. "I feel the same pain, my good fellow. Do you know the Gades (sp?)? Killian, Felicity and their two children. They provided us information, and I promised to protect them. But I failed. We were waylaid by the villagers under some sort of possession. We subdued them, but by the time we returned to the Gades, they were gone. Some terrible fate has befallen them, and it is upon my honor to find them. I know you are not one of 'them,' for the torment you feel is all too obvious. You say you are guilty of betrayal? Now is your chance to rectify this matter. We cannot promise to protect you - but perhaps you can soothe your conscience by providing us with information that could help stem the tide of this evil wave."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#208 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Listening from the back of the party Hoom digs into his pack. He pulls out white chalk and red powder. He adorns his face with the red color and white chalk while softly speaking in a tongue unfamiliar to those around him. He finishes and places the items back in his pack and pull out a large chunk of venison. He moves through the group until he is out front. He lightly tosses the hunk of meat to the wolf and speaks to the hermit.
"Dear friend, we only seek to help the inhabitants of Briarsgate. Please help us understand what has happened so we can return the village to it's proper balance, friend."
Casts Friends

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser stays in the shadows, looking about for any birds dwelling too long about overhead. He tries to see if the vegetation or low-lying branches in the area are trampled or broken, signifing if a villege mob may have tried attacking the hermit at some point.
RL has conspired to keep me off the boards...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak leans forward, shifting his weight to the halberd in his hand as if it were a staff, to look the old man in the eye. "So you do know what we're talking about after all," he growls.

"You're right," he admits, leaning back. "I know little. But I know that some evil that has overcome this place. I know that it has taken the minds of farmers, barmaids, and tradesmen, turning them into murderous monsters. I know this because they did murder one of my friends yesterday and nearly did the same to me!"

He voice softens. "If you are afraid to talk to us, old man, I understand. We swore our protection to the Gades and they were taken. Our friendship seems to be a liability in this hell town. But if you have been seen talking to us—and we appear to be under constant watch—then you are marked either way. You might as well help us."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Inferno »

DadsAngry wrote:Hoom Feethos:
...while softly speaking in a tongue unfamiliar to those around him...
FYI, from the House Rules:
Inferno wrote:Of Magic and Mysteries:
...Any spell with Verbal or Somatic components cannot be cast quietly or surreptitiously...
...Casting a spell on someone without their permission could be seen as an attack. After all, you could be casting Fireball or Bestow Curse...
Dads, spells can't be cast "softly." Still proceeding with this action?
Thanks.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by DadsAngry »

Sorry I wasn't implying that I was doing deceptively. I just didn't want to be to loud to interrupt the current conversation. He didn't want to be rude. Action still stands. Hoom's voice can be his normal speaking volume.

Also the spell is cast on the caster and not another. Second part does not apply.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Inferno »

Dads,
Got it. Thanks.

DadsAngry wrote:Also the spell is cast on the caster and not another. Second part does not apply.
Only if witnesses to Hoom's casting can tell that he's merely casting foul sorcery upon himself and not on them. :)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#214 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid sees what Hoom's up to. The last thing they need now is the hermit realizing the adventurers are trying to manipulate him via treacherous sorcery! She softly grabs Hoom's hand and whispers, just barely moving her lips: "Don't..."

Hopefully, as they all stand close to each other, her actions (or Hoom's) are not discernible to the hermit. If Hoom still decides to go for the spell, she won't try to mess with him any more, as that would be too obvious to the old man.

She takes a step forward.

"We are sorry to disturb your solitude," she adds to the overall mass of persuasion. "We are no motley crew of adventurers. We are priests and devoted fighters. Pelias here is the follower of Heironeus. Avril venerates the noble gods of the fair folks." She can't recall the exact name of Avril's deity... "I am not only a priestess, but also an associate of the late Khorst Maltess, monster hunter & scourge of the undead. I'm not telling you this to awe you. But rather to make it clear that our intentions are good."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#215 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo uses his slow, calming baritone to continue the verbal barrage on the hermit.

My friend, your pain is something that we can all understand. This band you see before you just had to fight for our lives in one of the towns taverns.

We lost a good man to the evildoers pawns.

He puts his large hand softly on Ingrid's shoulder to comfort her and show the old man sincere sorrowful emotions.

But worse than even that, we were forced to maim and kill many innocent townfolk that were being used as fodder in this horrific facade. We are not evil minded individuals. Us having to fight and kill hapless innocents was painstakingly difficult and must be akin to your past torments. However, we must put those pains behind us if we are ever going to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Won't you please share what you know with us about this horrid pestilence of evil that has ransacked this once fair town?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#216 Post by dmw71 »

Avril allows herself to be momentarily distracted by the going's on of Hoom, but continues to keep watch over areas unknown.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Between 9 and 10pm.
Damp, cold, misty.

In a dark and eerie grove, the adventurers confront an old hermit and his wolf before their Dilapidated Hovel (27*). "RAUGH! RAUGH!" barks the wolf.

Grey Mouser stays in the shadows, looking up and down. He sees no trampled undergrowth that might signify a mob's presence here. Nor does the thief spy any birds lurking too long overhead, except for the druid's murder of crows.

While the adventurers engage the old beggar with conversation, Hoom Feethos coats his face with flour and and vermillion and begins to cast an enchantment to charm the mind of the old man from the back of their ranks.

Ingrid Esthof, standing near Hoom, takes notice of sorcery being woven. The priestess of Tritherion doesn't know what spell is being cast but she doesn't want any enchantments forged right now, as wizards and witches are looked upon with suspicion, and the adventurers are trying to earn the old hermit's trust.
Ingrid softly grabs Hoom's hand and whispers, just barely moving her lips: "Don't..." Her interference in the somatic aspect of the ritual breaks the beguilement before it begins.

The aged man doesn't seem to pay attention to this commotion at the back of the group of strangers, harkening instead to the many sincere, heartfelt words of Bo, Grothnak and Pelias. Ingrid moves forward to join them with sentiments of her own.

The adventurers' tempered dialogue soothes the fire and fear in the raving beggar's mind. The wolf senses this and ceases barking.

When the heroes are done speaking, the old hermit croaks to Pelias and hangs his head, "Another family taken? ...no!..."
To Ingrid, he says, "Khorst Maltess?" repeating the name of the great monster-hunter who was the first of Ingrid's doomed companions to perish in her company. Then he sternly admonishes her, "Your 'intentions?' Listen. Don't trust the intentions of anyone you meet! Anyone could be one of them! No matter their past virtues or present appearances. One of them, Bertram Beswill, was once a dear, kind and gentle man. Still is, deep down, I imagine."
To Bo, he growls, "You've 'maimed and killed townsfolk?' But they're the true victims of this evil!"
To Telkis' reference to the commendation of rodents, he merely gives a quizzical look.
Then, heavily, in response to Grothnak: "I have no fear of reprisals. Or death. I've stopped caring about my life..."
He glances at Pelias, and adds grimly, "...But if I can help Briarsgate, and my soul, by aiding you, I will. I'll risk trusting you that far. Don't make me regret it."

Then the hermit says to everyone, "I won't betray the names of the innocent. I'll only tell of the evil that has infected Briarsgate like an insidious cancer.
"That evil took root a year ago, at the Foaming Mug Inn."

The adventurers knew the building:
    • [b][url=http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209299#p209299]DM[/url][/b] wrote:An Abandoned Building. (16*) The doors and windows of this large, battered and weatherbeaten building are boarded up. A sign lies face down in the weeds before the broken porch. The roof has several holes.
        • “The old Foaming Mug Inn. A dozen townsfolk were found murdered there one morning, including the proprietor. A sword fight. But no one ever discovered the reason. Those people were friends and neighbors! The building’s been abandoned ever since. A year now, I reckon.” -Felicity and Killian Gade
The old man continues, "I stupidly thought it had been stopped there. Stupid, foolish old man.
"It reappeared at the Golden Grain Inn."

"Then it spread... to the Holy Church of beloved Merikka," he says in a voice as broken as his heart.
The hermit grunts, "Those three places. There beats the heart of evil in Briarsgate.
"Now that I've revealed my hand, are you with them?! If you are, know that I am your enemy. I know you are real and I stand against you!"
His bent spine stiffens and he looks the adventurers in the eyes with anger and defiance, fully expecting these words to be his last.

Suddenly Avril whispers, "Someone's coming!"

The watchful half-elf's infravision detects something coming up the path from the southeast; at least one figure, 60 feet away, still undetectable to human eyes due to the darkness, the trees and the moonlit mist.

Actions?!

Local Map:
This map is just the Western part of Briarsgate Village. For a full map, click on the link at the bottom of this post.
You had approached from the north.
The Abandoned Windmill is in the center of the field west of 24 (an Abandoned, Boarded Up Farmhouse).
You are standing at 27 (The Hermit's Home).
The unknown figure is at the red "X," walking toward you up the dirt trail from your southeast, from the approximate direction of the Covered Bridge and the main road of town.
Western Briarsgate Map a.jpg
Western Briarsgate Map a.jpg (299.02 KiB) Viewed 879 times
DM Note:
Fyi, from a private exchange with Fulci:
    • Inferno wrote:How does Ingrid know what spell Hoom is casting, in order to know she should disrupt it?
      Fulci wrote:Ingrid doesn't want any spell cast right now, as magic users are looked upon suspiciously in this world. So even if she doesn't know which exact spell is about to happen, she is generally against using magic in this current situation.
Sorry, Dads. I think six seconds is enough time for her to recognize a spell being cast, and to interfere.

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 16/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by dmw71 »

Remembering there is a road or path running north/south just east of the hermits' abode, and realizing what she spotted may very well be someone simply leaving town, Avril slowly drops to a knee to lower her profile. She carefully unsling her bow from over her shoulder and, grabbing them by their fletchings, produce a pair of arrows, nocking one of them, while sticking the second, point down, into the ground next to her for easy access.

Her eyes remain fixed on the detected heat signature as she tries to determine its direction of travel.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Inferno »

DM:

The unknown figure is off the north-south road and on the dirt trail to the hermit's hovel, headed directly toward the group.

Map:
The party is at "27."
The unknown figure is at the red "X."
Western Briarsgate Map a.jpg
Western Briarsgate Map a.jpg (299.02 KiB) Viewed 963 times
Sorry I was unclear. I'll edit the original map.
DM:

Player: