It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:31 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9665
Location: 1977
Continuing the narrative from Chapter 4: Inn of the Damned...

_________________


Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:57 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9665
Location: 1977
Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

Village of Briarsgate
Late Evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Cold, thunderstorms



The investigators of the deadly mystery of Briarsgate continue their quest for answers.


Image


The severely wounded paladin Pelias Blanchflower leaves the Golden Grain Inn (6*) in haste and moves swiftly through the sinister shadows of Briarsgate towards his final destination.

Pelias doesn't see anyone on the muddy road, but visibility remains low.
The storm's ferocity begins to abate. KRAKABOOM! The thunder and lightning move to the west but the rain still teems down without mercy.

Image

When he reaches the Gade family farmhouse (19*) he stops in his tracks, his breath taken away. Their home is completely dark now and its front door hangs wide open in the wind, like a gaping wound on Pelias' soul.

Suddenly, Pelias hears footsteps behind him! He turns and sees on the road, ten feet away, a small, beautiful woman in leather armor with a long sword sheathed on her hip. Her blue cloak is pulled up against the downpour, covering her hair. She says, "Good sir, you appear injured. Are you in need of assistance?"

Attachment:
Are you in need of assistance.jpg
Are you in need of assistance.jpg [ 88.02 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]


Image


Status:
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 2/19, Laying Hands: 0/1


Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:55 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8185
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias backs towards the house. "If your assistance is like that of the other townsfolk, I will do without." This he shouts, taking his anger out on the stranger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:58 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9665
Location: 1977
DM:

"Fear not," the beautiful woman says, taking a step towards Pelias. "Let's get you somewhere dry, where I can inspect your wounds."

"Tell me, how did this happen to you?"
she asks, taking another step forward, her ice blue eyes wide and watchful.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:00 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8185
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
"I was wounded by those I foolishly trusted. I'll not make the same mistake with you, fair lady. Come no closer" replies the wounded paladin, still making his way towards the house.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:56 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9665
Location: 1977
DM:

"Given your obviously weakened condition, killing you outright would take little effort on my part," the mysterious young woman says firmly. "...If that were my plan."

The maiden stops her advance upon Pelias. She stands in the rain and says, "I sense that you are a man of good intentions. Let me accompany you, wherever you are headed, so that I can help."

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:41 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8185
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias sees the truth in her words, even if it wounds his pride. "Very well. Keep your weapon sheathed. I plan to enter the house of this good family. Walk to my left, several paces please."

Deciding to take a more cordial tack, he attempts to show good manners as they approach the house.

"I am Pelias. I do the bidding of my Lord Heironeus. Who are you, and whom do you serve? Do you hail from Briarsgate?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9665
Location: 1977
DM:

The woman nods her agreement, and keeps her hand from her hilt as she approaches Pelias' left. "I am Avril. Avril Hollysword. Devoted follower of the Elven god, Corellon Larethian."

As she draws closer, Pelias sees the small woman clearer through the rain and the darkness. She is of Elven blood, and her hair, hidden beneath her azure hood, is pale blond. She carries a shortbow beneath her cloak, with a quiver of arrows.

Pelias has heard of the Elven protector and preserver of life, the patron god of Elves, Magic, Music, Arts, Crafts, Warfare, and Poetry. (Chaotic Good)

She takes another cautious step forward and says, "I arrived in Briarsgate just as this storm began."

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:01 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8185
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
"What brings you to this accursed place? We came to investigate strange, evil things. We have already been attacked by over a dozen townsfolk. They are under some evil enchantment to surrender their souls to some foul authority. This family" Pelias nods towards the open door "seemed to be the only ones of sound mind. And I fear I have allowed them to be killed."

"Avril, I trust you because I have no other choice, and the god you serve follows the path of light, though it be winding and suspect. Trust no one here. And eat and drink from your own provisions."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:40 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9665
Location: 1977
Village of Briarsgate
The Gade Family Farm
Late Evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Cold, rainy, misty



Image


The rest of Pelias' party has fled the Golden Grain Inn (6) and traveled through the rainy night to the Gade family farmhouse (19), making good speed in the aftermath of the powerful storm.

They arrive safely, but the Gades' home is completely dark and its front door hangs wide open in the wind like a gaping wound!

From 50 feet away, they see that before the house and facing it, Pelais stands in the rainy, muddy road speaking with a small woman in leather armor with a sheathed long sword. Her blue cloak is pulled up against the downpour, covering her hair.

Attachment:
woman.jpg
woman.jpg [ 88.02 KiB | Viewed 564 times ]


Pelias and the mysterious woman both turn to face the party as it emerges from the mist, the rain and the darkness.


Actions?


Image


Status:
The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 1/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl. Groggy (-2 to hit)
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 1/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl. Very groggy (-4 to hit)
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 5/15, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 0/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 2/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19 Groggy (-2 to hit)

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.


Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 am
Posts: 1223
Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid quickens her pace. She has her mace ready in her right hand, and leads her horse with her left. The body of Vodarte, covered with a burlap sack, lies on the back of the mane.

"Pelias, what happened? And who is your... new acquaintance?"

"We need to get into cover quickly, while we aren't spotted."

_________________
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2557
Telkis says nothing, letting Ingrid do the talking, but quickly readies Cranach, his morningstar, and moves to place himself on the opposite side of the "new aquaintance" from her, in a flanking position, should things get weird. He is dismayed to see the door hanging open, the house claerly invaded, thinking of the nice couple and their defenseless children. He hopes they fled and weren't... well, he doesn't want to think about that yet...

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:13 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8185
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias says something to the cloaked figure, then addresses the party, a sad expression on his face.

"I have not been inside yet, but the open door portends ill tidings. This elf woman met me in the street. So far no harm has come to me, and she does not appear to be under the same enchantment as the others. She serves a god of good intentions."

Changing the subject, "who wishes to accompany me inside?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:17 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15208
"Glub-skai!" curses Grothnak as he rushes into the building, Vadok at the ready.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:36 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 am
Posts: 1223
Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid doesn't stop to comment on the "she serves a god of good intentions" part - serves her allegedly... Now is no time for paranoid accusations. She is in a maximally cautious state, though, of course.

"We shouldn't split up again. Let's lead the horses to the back of the building, out of view, then go inside, all of us. Maybe just one person, somebody with good eyes, should stay up front, in the first room next to the entrance, as a lookout."

_________________
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:32 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 am
Posts: 1223
Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid will light a candle.

"A torch is too much... it might alert our foes."

_________________
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:37 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15208
Lights? Grothnak doesn't need any stinkin' lights.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:36 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13921
Location: Packerland
Bo gets to the farm house breathing heavily. His robes and long grey hair are soaked and stuck tight to the tall man. He nods at the she elf and then shakes his head at the ransacked look of the farmhouse.

It is exactly as we feared! This entire town is possessed!

We caused this by involving these poor people.


He hangs his head for a second and then realizes that the group may very well still be in danger here. He moves into a position that he can watch the other side of the house while the others inspect the inside. He will hold the animals if necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:16 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2557
Telkis will ready his bow and keep a look out the windows using his infravision.
Torches? We don't need no stinking.... oh, wait, somebody akready used that bit... :D

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:58 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Eager to get out of the rain, Hoom moves with the others through the open door of the Gade's farm house. His path to the door takes him within inches of the new comer. As he passes her, Hoom warmly smiles at the young lady, waiting for proper introductions in dryer conditions.

Torches? We don't need no stinking.... Third time the charm.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group