Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

Inferno
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

#81 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom will resume donning his armor. If nothing else get both arms through his armor.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#82 Post by dmw71 »

It's been mere hours and Avril already regrets her decision to pursue her father to this cursed town. While the others formulate a plan and discuss the possibility of potentially turning one of them into a rhinoceros, she scans the immediate area looking for any farming tools. Specifically a shovel. If one doesn't jump right out at her, she will begin searching the various horse stalls for one, and anything else of interest she may find, beginning with the southernmost stall.

Assuming she discovers a shovel, and believing she can burrow her way out, she will begin to frantically begin digging out a hole at the base of the wall in the center-most stall along the western wall.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias grabs Vodarte's axe and hacks at the wall.

Bash the west wall [1d20-1] = 15-1 = 14

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote:Grey Mouser, coughing violently, backs up from underneath the burning hayloft lest it fall on him. He avoids the wild horses.

"Crash the west wall!" the thief says as the others discuss magic means of escape.
Mouser, hoping to avoid further smoke inhalation, gets down low on his hands and knees. He douses a cloth with water from his waterskin and holds it against his mouth to breath through. He watches the others, ready to leap up and out, or away from any fires that form.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid tightens her grip on her mace and assists Pelias in his righteous crusade against the barn wall.

Mace vs. wall [1d20] = 13

If the grogginess mod. applies, it's -2.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter
Telkis failed his inhalation roll and will take 2 (subtracted from sheet) damage, but for some reason I'm having trouble posting it here.
Telkis coughs and sputters. It feels like he's breathing knives. He pulls out Cranach and examines the section of wall the others are bashing. He goes low while the others go high - he tries to target any lateral supportting timbers, figuring once that's bashed the vertical boards should knock out more easily.Attack Defensless Wall: [1d20] = 5
Oh... dear... when it counts.... :oops: The wall does get -3 to its save, though (strength and Cranach) if that makes any difference...
Edit: Oh, nooooo! I was under the impression that Cranach was the better choice (as opposed to Telkis' hand axe), but I just checked the DMG and the saving throw for "crushing blow" much harder than for "normal blow." Gahhh!!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#87 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Save vs. Posion (10) [1d20] = 20

Bo checks out the window to see if the people are still gathering to the east. He then moves to where the others are bashing the weakened wood of the west barn wall. He tries to gather all of his things into a bundle so he can carry them easier during the escape.

He readies the necessary components for his spell of entanglement.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Zhym »

Assuming Grothnak can use Ingrid's mace: Grothnak quickly accepts the mace from Ingris and swings it at the wall with all his might.

Do we have to roll to hit the broad side of a barn? If so: Borrowed mace (THAC0 19): [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8

It would seem that Grothnak cannot, in fact, hit the broad side of a barn.

If an attack roll isn't needed, the wall's save is at -6.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Fulci »

Zhym wrote:Assuming Grothnak can use Ingrid's mace: Grothnak quickly accepts the mace from Ingris and swings it at the wall with all his might.
Ingrid realizes, that it's hard to hold her horse and swing her mace at the same time, so she hands over the weapon to Grothnak, trusting the half-orc's might and strength. She is ready to evoke Trithereon's protection against fire if anybody needs it.
G A M E S :

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
An Abandoned Barn, Village of Briarsgate
Late Night. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Cold, mist

In horror, the heroes realize they are trapped within this burning barn by enemies unseen! Their exits are blocked by voracious flames! The hayloft above them is consumed by the roaring, insatiable wildfire! They urgently try to find a way from this blazing deathtrap as black smoke threatens to smother the very life from them!

"Crash the west wall!" cries Mouser in mounting desperation.

"Grothnak!" yells Pelias over the roaring flame. "Can you hack an opening in the west barn door with that great axe of yours? I will be the first out to face whatever danger is upon us!"

Hoom continues donning his armor, readying to move quickly should the time come.

Mouser gets down low on his hands and knees, in a stall to avoid being trampled by his rearing, wild-eyed steed. He breathes through a wet cloth, watching the others, ready to leap up and out of here!

Ingrid and Long Bo stand ready to support with magic spells.

Avril finds a manure shovel hanging on a nail and races to the center western stall and begins to frantically dig a hole at the base of the barn wall, trying to burrow her way out! She is making good progress when...

Pelias grabs Vodarte's enchanted axe, runs to a stall on the western side and hacks at the outer wall! CHOK! He can't break through!

Telkis slams the boards of the barn wall with his enchanted morningstar, Cranach! KRASH! He can't break them down!

Grothnak attacks with Ingrid's iron mace! KRUNCH! The half-orc warrior knocks wooden boards loose from their nails and crossbeams, blasting a man-sized hole in the western barn wall!

Avril wriggles under the barn wall via her trench, dragging her belongings behind her!

The rest of the adventurers burst out of Grothnak's jagged, splintered opening into a weed-choked field west of the barn and can breath again! Pelias holds a burning length of wood as a makeshift torch.

Ingrid and Long Bo pry open more planks from the gaping maw in the wall to widen the hole and guide Ingrid's horse out. But Mouser's horse is still inside, mad with fear. The little thief calls to it, to no avail. Its death screams are terrible to hear.

The roof of the barn is engulfed in the all-devouring fire that has become Elden Vodarte's funeral pyre.

To the distant north, the heroes hear an owl. Then again, to the far south. They cannot see the cornfield to the east, from whence the ferocious attack was launched.

Breathless, tense moments tick by and no attack comes. Save for the roaring barn fire, all is quiet as the grave. They advance around the barn and see the 7' tall cornfield standing quiet and shadowy in the flickering firelight.

The adventurers have narrowly escaped the fiery deathtrap. But it appears the insidious vermin that laid it have no desire to face them in a direct and fair confrontation; just as it first was at the Golden Grain Inn where warm, welcoming Bertram Beswill preferred subterfuge and poison, until his hand was forced and he and his patrons were cornered in their lair.

Actions?
SE Briarsgate Map.jpg
SE Briarsgate Map.jpg (136.05 KiB) Viewed 711 times
DM Notes:
Map: PCs stand on the west side of the barn, south of the abandoned farmhouse (17), near the road to the outer farms.

Rolls:
Initiative: Party: [1d6] = 6, Enemies: [1d6] = 2 Party wins.
Avril: Save vs. Strength (12): [3d6] = 7 Saves by 5.
Wall: Save vs. Telkis (6 or higher): [1d20-3] = 17-3 = 14 Wall is unbroken.
Wall: Save vs. Pelias (6 or higher): [1d20-1] = 9-1 = 8 Wall is unbroken.
Wall: Save vs. Grothnak (6 or higher): [1d20-6] = 10-6 = 4 The wall gives way!
Mouser: Calm Horse (9): [4d6] = 11 No.

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 9/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl. Slightly groggy (-1 to hit)
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 7/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 13/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl. Groggy (-2 to hit)
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 5/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 0/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 6/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 13/19 Groggy (-2 to hit)

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Zhym »

As soon as Grothnak has broken a hole in the wall, he tries to hustle every one else out of the barn before he himself leaves. When only he and Pelias remain, there is a moment when it seems both might burn to death rather than give up the heroic position of last man out. But Grothnak remembers the famed stubbornness of paladins and races through the hole, allowing Pelias the honor of being last.

When the part has gathered outside the inferno, the half-orc growls. "It is no easy task saving those who wish to kill you," he says.

He returns the borrowed mace to Ingrid. "Thank you," he says.

"We still need rest. Where shall we attempt it? The forest offers little protection and has dangers of its own. Most other buildings could be set afire, but we have seen a few buildings made of stone. We are not strong enough if the occupants are hostile. Perhaps the windmill northwest of town? If has a stone base. Perhaps it could be defended."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#92 Post by dmw71 »

Avril does her best to clean off any wet mud now plastered to her person while she listens to Grothnak's plan. "Or --" the elven maiden suggests, "-- we could use another abandoned building made of wood, but make it more defensible, or create new escape routes any potential attackers would not know about before settling down." She holds her hands out to her side, her elbows still resting near her waist, showing off her muddy appearance. "It wasn't fun, but the rain made the ground soft enough that creating a tunnel beneath the barn's wall wasn't overly difficult, even for me. A couple escape routes the friendly locals don't know about might be worth considering, wherever we end up."

She ceases the mud removal process, then actually reverses it, and scoops up some wet mud and begins plastering it upon any exposed skin. "It might help mask any body heat you give off, making it more difficult to be spotted by infravision," she adds, when she begins to receive curious looks.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

"No offense to either of ye, but I'll not be staying in another wooden structure - not even a partially wooden one. That was too close for comfort," replies Telkis. He rubs his chin and looks around, bow at the ready, sure they are being watched even now. "You're right, Grothnak, that we couldn't stand up to any major resistance in our current state, yet I'm tempted to try our chances approaching the temple on the hill and holing up there. If only because Felicity seemed to trust them when she trusted no one else. Plus it's stone and gives us a good vantage of the town. And potentially some allies... I'm not sure..." He looks thoughtful again. "We have to assume we're being watched wherever we go. It'd better be someplace defensible. I can think of no better place than that temple for defense." He waits to see what the others think.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Zhym »

"You assume that the church is not also corrupted," answers Grothnak. "The best advice Felicity and Killian gave was to trust no one. I am not yet ready to rely anyone in this town, even the church. Wherever we rest, it should be alone, not in the hands of those who might be our enemies."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I do understand the temple may be corrupted. I was suggesting we might consider chancing it, since anywhere we go we will be seen," Telkis replies. "At any rate, I'm not convinced my temple plan is the best course of action. It just seems the least likely place to be rooted out of... or burned out."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak:

"If the windmill is not good, what about out of town? Maybe we would be left alone if the locals think they have run us off. Avril, you were able to get here without being attacked. Did you see anywhere that would be a good place to camp?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo chimes in after catching his breath and wiping the soot off his robes and beard.

The young lady said that she thought the temple was safe and I am willing to trust her words. I would personally like to have a closer look at the grove of trees in the western part of town. If there is another of my kind that lives there, I should be able to get some information from them.

I would rather not go alone but I will if nobody wants to accompany me. I should have enough magic left to keep myself alive for the time being.

He pulls the huge cowl on his robes around to check on his pet, making sure the bird isn't well done from the flames.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"Honestly, I wouldn't risk going to the temple. I prefer any grove or abandoned farm outside town," Ingrid says.

"We have to make sure we are not followed by the Briarsgate mob either. Bo," she turns to the druid, "Maybe your animal friends can watch us from above?"
G A M E S :

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Zhym »

"No," says Grothnak firmly, staring at Bo. "There will be no going alone. There has been too much of that so far. We must act as a group or we will surely die. Now that we know something about what has happened to these people, we cannot risk allies turning into enemies by running off alone. Understood?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo raises one eyebrow at the words of the overly aggressive fighter, but decides that his words ring true.

Yes, I agree.
Perhaps it would be best to get outside of this place for a bit then in order to let things calm down and get some much needed rest for ourselves.

I can have Sephus fly around and keep watch from above but, if we are followed, there isn't much he can do to stop it. However, at least we will know about it in advance this time.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”