Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Inn of the Damned

#102 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Cold, Thunderstorms

Pelais Blanchflower leaves the severely wounded Grothnak Uthglukh alone inside the Golden Grain Inn (6*), surrounded by the ruins of the feral villagers, in order that the paladin might find the others.

Meanwhile, in the darkened stable behind the inn, Long Bo the druid casts a holy incantation of healing magic upon his badly battered form (+2 hp).
At Grey Mouser's suggestion, Ingrid Esthof checks her coin pouch and finds that more than half her money is missing (please subtract 3 gp from your sheet).

Then, while Ingrid, Mouser and Telkis Brassfang hide in the stable, Hoom Feethos and Long Bo head back out into the torrential downpour of the lightning storm to check on the welfare of their friends.
thunderstorm.jpg
thunderstorm.jpg (360.96 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Halfway across the dark, flooded, muddy ground between the inn and its stable, a lurching shape emerges from the mist, reminiscent of those of the haunted woods of the Dim Forest. The ethereal shadow comes directly toward them through the unrelenting deluge and suddenly, twin lightning flashes reveal it to be a grievously wounded Pelias Blanchflower, who likewise identifies Bo and Hoom.

Actions?

The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 1/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl. Groggy
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 1/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl. Very groggy, unarmored
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 5/15, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 0/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 2/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19 Groggy

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis, Gnome Warrior (in the stables)

Telkis cleans the gore from the butt end of his Morningstar, Cranach. "I'm sorry about Elden, Ingrid. I was expecting trouble here, but I wasn't expecting things to escalate this quickly. I suppose we all should have stuck together from the start. This party seems anxious to divide itself for some reason - I'm as guilty as the next. Anyway... you'll need a strong gnome I expect, to help with the burial when we have a chance. I'm your gnome."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"Thank you, Telkis," Ingrid smiles faintly at the gnome.
At Grey Mouser's suggestion, Ingrid Esthof checks her coin pouch and finds that more than half her money is missing (please subtract 3 gp from your sheet).
Subtracted.

A few pieces of gold are not Ingrid's greatest concern right now, of course...
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#105 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo nearly faints when he sees that the dark figure is Pelias.

YUMPIN YIMMINY!!! You scared the crap out of me Pelias!

What is happening? Why are our groups still split? Where is Grothnak?

The others are still in the stable. We were waiting to regroup and then head out to check on the nice family.
that is most certainly dead by now.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Do you need help carrying Grothnak?" Hoom says to Pelias "and Oh Vodarte is dead. Posion we think."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser

"Will the gods grant anymore heal blessings?" Mouser asks the cleric and druid.

"I doubt the inn will reveal what's going on in town. We need to interrogate any survivors of your battle, or capture a town leader. I'd be happy to interrogate them," he says, fingering Cat's Claw.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by AleBelly »

A smile washes over Pelias's face when he sees Bo ambulatory. "Come in!" he calls to the others. "The powers of Heironeus have revived Grothnak, though his state is worse than even mine" coughs the paladin, expectorating a mist of blood. "Let's get in out of the rain and discuss next steps. We must check on Felicity's family - and keep an eye on the subdued villagers."

He does not respond verbally to the news of Vodarte, and does not seem bothered by it.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
Grognardsw wrote:"Will the gods grant anymore heal blessings?" Mouser asks the cleric and druid.

"I doubt the inn will reveal what's going on in town. We need to interrogate any survivors of your battle, or capture a town leader. I'd be happy to interrogate them," he says, fingering Cat's Claw.
"Yes," she answers the Mouser's question. "But I am already on the verge of my powers. I'd rather save some of it for the coming times, until we are able to get some rest."

After all, Ingrid ties her horse and she slides Vodarte's body down.
"Let's head back to the inn. We need to have everybody together."
G A M E S :

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Cold, Thunderstorms

Pelais Blanchflower rounds up the others from the dark stable and leads them through the teeming rain and lightning back inside the Golden Grain Inn (6*). Within that house of horrors, they find a gravely wounded Grothnak Uthglukh sternly standing guard over the twisted mosaic of 20 broken bodies that cover the floor of a common room filled with shattered furniture, glass, men and illusions.

The party drag with them the warm corpse of Elden Vodarte.

KRAKABOOM!!!

Discussion? Plans? Actions?
Golden Grain Inn map.jpg
Golden Grain Inn map.jpg (465.81 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Map:
  • Each square is 5 feet. The bracket shapes in the outer walls are chimneys.
    The 'S' in the circle is the formerly secret trapdoor down into the dungeon with the human cages.
    BB is Bertram Beswill. W1 and W2 are serving wenches. 15-19 have studded leather armor and shortswords. The ratfaced cook is 20.

The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 1/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl. Groggy
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl. Very groggy, unarmored

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis, drenched Gnome warrior

"Grothnak! You're up and about! You don't look so good..." says Telkis as he stumbles in, soaking wet and carrying one end of Elden as carefully as he can manage. His concern is only equaled by his obvious joy that the Half-Orc is on his feet again. "I imagine our good Paladin has aided you with his... ah... that thing they do..." Here he waggles his fingers in his interpretation of "Paladin magic." He winks at Pelias. "Well fellows, let's get poor Elden settled somewhere and get to work. How shall we proceed? I suggest we begin by tying all the bodies in here, living or dead, to chairs, tables, or to each other back to back and what-not to prevent them getting back up? I don't relish the idea of fighting them again."

To Grothnak he says: "I tried to get to ye. During the fight. There were just too many of the bastards. They got some lucky hits in on you..." he trails off.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

As the others busy themselves with the dead or dying bodies in the main hall. Hoom procures a lit candle and/or lantern from the main room for a light source and quietly disappears through the door to the left leading into a side room (4). Gently closing the door behind him he makes his way to the adjoining room (5) where he will gather the rest of the fallen parchment from the desk that was blown about when he first entered, shoving them between his armor and padding with the other papers already stored there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak nods. He leans on his halberd as if it were a cane. His left hand is on a bloody patch on his chest.

"Defeated by a rabble of untrained farmers and villagers," he says. "I am deeply shamed." As ever, the half-orc's expression offers no hint as to whether he's joking.

"Mouser. Ingrid. It is good to see both of you alive. Telkis, Hoom, Bo—I am pleased to see that you also live. When Pelias brought me back and I saw none of you here, I was concerned. Is Vodarte—?" Grothnak frowns as the expressions of the others confirm that the ranger is dead. "That is unfortunate. He was a good fighter. I hope he died well."

"We have no time for funerals yet," continues Grothnak. "Two matters require our attention. First, as Telkis rightly suggests, we must secure the surviving villagers in this inn so that they cannot pose further threat. Is there anywhere in this place that could serve as a jail? Second, we ensure that Felicity and Killian are safe. Pelias and I must, anyway.

"Other matters are optional, but I strongly recommend them. We should interrogate at least two of the villagers. The innkeeper, Bertram, is an obvious choice. Other villagers might also have information. We should also search this inn. Whatever is going on in this town, the number of people who attacked us here says that this must be a center of activity. We may not be able to return here without another costly battle. We should not leave before we have looked for clues to the mystery of this town.

"I would use this place as a base of operations. It is, so far as we can tell based on our limited exploration of this town, no less and no more secure than any other place in this village. Remaining here will allow us to watch the villagers to make sure they are not rescued. We can interrogate the villagers here instead of having to drag them elsewhere. If we remain here, we can interrogate any or all villagers. If we leave, we must choose which villagers we wish to question and bring them with us. And it has enough beds for all of us.

"That is my assessment and recommendation."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#114 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
Zhym wrote:"Defeated by a rabble of untrained farmers and villagers," he says. "I am deeply shamed." As ever, the half-orc's expression offers no hint as to whether he's joking.
"Fighting the innocent - the ones you thought you won't end up fighting, is always harder than facing the hordes of the un-dead..." Ingrid adds.
Zhym wrote:"Is there anywhere in this place that could serve as a jail?"
"There sure is... Where they kept us. There are three cages down there. And there's supposedly a bigger part of the cellar we haven't seen yet."

"If we stay here,"
she starts planning, "we have to think of this inn not as a hide-out, but as a fortress. We have to make sure it's well defended, because if there are more accomplices (did any of them get away, by the way?) of these cutthroats, they will attack us as soon as possible. There are enough materials here. We can board up the windows, block the doors."
G A M E S :

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

As the others talk Mouser loots the till at the bar. He looks for any vials that don't look like ale, beer or wine, hoping to find the poison used on him. Then he moves to the better dressed corpses.

"Pigeonhole in here too well and they'll just burn the place down to kill us all," he comments at some point. Being a thief, he adds:"We loose stealth and surprise if they know where we are."

After several minutes of lifting money pouches, Mouser goes to the back area to find the inn office where room keys and, perhaps, other valuables may be kept.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#116 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo makes his way through the chaotic mess strewn throughout the tavern.

I don't think we can stay here. As Mouser said, they already know we're in here.
That creep with the eyepatch, I don't see his body. Did he escape?

Bo moves to the front door and opens it part way. He whistles loudly to the tree across the way.

If we are going to stay here for any amount of time, we will need to keep a constant watch for another mob of these mindless thralls that might be coming. We won't survive another melee. We also don't want those lawmen coming in here with their heavy armor and sharp executioner axes, ready to cast judgement upon us for killing innocents.

When Sephus comes to his call, Bo will have him perch right at the top of the doorway and make a ruckus if someone comes this way. Bo will then begin to circle the inside of the room rapidly, peering out of each window quickly as he does so to see if any type of invasion is imminent.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Zhym »

"Innocents. Hmph." scoffs Grothnak.

"We should keep watch wherever we go," he says. "As when in any other hostile territory, it would be wise to assume that we could be watched at any time. We stand out in this town."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will use his rope to begin tying up villagers. "Some of the others of ye could start searching the place, perhaps? When I'm finished here I'll run upstairs to keep a lookout with my bow."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak will start by taking a quick look around the ground floor then checking what's down the stairs (in 2).

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Cold, Thunderstorms

The investigators of Briarsgate regroup upon the shocking, bloody battlefield within the Golden Grain Inn. There, they confer, discuss plans, and begin to search this surreal madhouse.

A few minutes pass as…

Hoom Feethos enters the dark bedroom of Bertram Beswill (room 5) and picks up the papers that the storm gale had scattered across the rugs. His uncertain, flickering candleflame casts looming shadows that grow and wither behind him as he stuffs sheets of parchment beneath his leather breastplate.

Telkis Brassfang finds that Betram Beswill (BB) is dead, slashed to death by Pelias’ longsword. The villagers that Grothnak fought by the door (2, 3, 5) were similarly hacked apart by Vadok. Hoom’s foe (17) is also slain. Telkis cuts his rope up and ties two living, unconscious villagers to tavern chairs: the unwholesome, rat-faced cook (20) and the kindly, third generation corn farmer (13).

Long Bo opens the front door of the inn and whistles loudly into the thunderstorm. Sephus the crow struggles through the storm to alight on a porch rafter of the inn, shaking water from his ebon feathers. "CAW!"

The druid speaks briefly with Sephus and then goes back inside, walking the common room's perimeter and looking out each window into darkness and rain, seeing no one advancing upon the inn through the deluge.

Grey Mouser finds the overturned till behind the bar, among smashed glass and bodies. In and around the wooden cashbox, mixed with blood and crystal shards, are 39 pieces of silver and 57 coppers. He searches the bar and finds, in a cabinet beneath it, two crusty, corked, dark green glass bottles that look out of place, each half filled. The little thief then begins to select villagers to loot among the unconscious and the dead, pocketing 19 more silver from the first two bodies.

Grothnak Uthglukh quickly looks into the rooms of the first floor. He finds Beswill's den (room 4), dark and empty. In Beswill's bedroom (room 5), he finds Hoom illuminated by a candle and an open trapdoor down into a lit room below. The wounded warrior continues his search in the empty, disorderly kitchen (room 2) where he takes one of two oil lamps burning there and descends the creaking stairs to the basement.

Grothnak enters a dank, dark, musty, stone and brick cellar.

Flanking the stairs that Grothnak just descended are two wooden doors, set in the west wall. Many tables and chairs are stacked against the south wall. Cobwebs cover the ceiling, filling the spaces between the rafters, and the sconces on the northern wall. He sees no open trapdoor in the ceiling. (see map)

Ingrid Esthof tends to the body of her friend, Elden Vodarte, gently laying him on the floor in the common room until it's decided whether or not they will stay here indefinitely. The young priestess remains unarmored, her mind clearly elsewhere.

Pelias Blanchflower had promised that he would watch over the family of Felicity and Killian Gade. He readies to go to them, through the fierce lightning storm. The severely injured paladin wants at least one healthy party member to accompany him but he'll go alone if need be, in order to keep his word. "We must check on Felicity's family. Who will do me the honour of joining me?" he asks.

Actions?
The Golden Grain Inn Map.jpg
The Golden Grain Inn Map.jpg (395.63 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Map:
  • Each square is 5 feet. The bracket shapes in the outer walls are chimneys.
    The 'S' in the circle is the formerly secret trapdoor down into the dungeon with the human cages.
    BB is Bertram Beswill. W1 and W2 are serving wenches. 15-19 have studded leather armor and shortswords. The ratfaced cook is 20.

Magic:

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:

Player: