Rider of Rohan

Chapter 4: Inn of the Damned

#1 Post by Inferno »

Chapter 4: Inn of the Damned

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, thunderstorms

The investigators of the strange rumors of Briarsgate search for their missing friends at the Golden Grain Inn (6).

Inside the inn's common room, four of the adventurers converse with each other and with refined innkeeeper Bertram Beswill.

The diplomatic Bertram buys a round and says to the strangers, "Kindly accept this humble peace offering to make amends for any offence I may have inadvertently given. ...I don't want any trouble. ...I'll not send you out in such a storm. My offer still stands. Please be seated and I'll provide whatever assistance I can to help in this matter... but I must respectfully insist it be done with discretion and common civility. Please."

Long Bo brushes off the cold wind as he reenters the inn. He shakes his head at the others, indicating that he has found no sign of Hoom anywhere outside. He struts his tall frame right back up to Bertram. "Did you tell your secrets yet innkeeper? I have one more question for you if I may. This elven friend of ours that was mentioned, you spoke with him as well didn't you? Or, do you prefer to continue to pretend that you don't know anything about this?"

Bertram says mildly, "Elven friend? I only recall you having mentioned a half-elf and two humans."

Bo moves to the bar, getting closer to the barrels of ale stored behind it. They come from Hookhill and Hochoch and carry no markings that seem out of the ordinary.

Telkis says, "Grothnak, please, one moment. I don't know the reason for Hoom's behavior, but as you can see yourself, there is no sign of any struggle having happened here. There must be some explanation. I have a feeling we should talk to this man."

Grothnak does not sit down. He takes a position near the door with his back to the wall and watches wordlessly, Vadok at his side.

Telkis turns to Bertram, "You must excuse my friend - we are all a bit on edge, for good reason, I assure you. And though some of my friends may choose not to partake," he glances pointedly at the others, "I for one will sit and talk with you. And have that drink, thank you." He'll sit in such a way as to keep the other patrons in his sight, and drink very sparingly.

Bertram guides the strangers to the only open table in the common room. "Thank you, kind sir gnome."
Bertram has steins of his finest ale brought to the strangers, wherever they are in the common room. Telkis sips his ale sparingly.

Pelias watches the other patrons and other doorways into places unseen. The paladin replies to Bertram. "Yes, perhaps we've been too hasty. We'd gladly accept your round of drinks. If you'll have one with us. I myself will have water. Alcohol dulls the senses and clouds devotion to Heironeus."

Bertram stands at the end of Pelais and Telkis' table, seemingly honoring the etiquette of a good host and servant. "You'll not drink my ale, sir?"

Pelais says, "You must understand that we view each other with suspicion. Sharing a table will do much to break through any feelings of reticence, don't you agree?"

“You honour me, sir. But I’m afraid I really must rather insist,” says Bertram politely as, en masse, all the patrons of the inn’s common room rise from their chairs and move toward the strangers.

All warmth leaves Beswill's face as he steps back and says to the adventurers with icy politeness, “Please drink. I think you’ll find it quite a relief. A blessing, really. To abandon at last all the dreadful, worldly burdens you bear, many of which you’re entirely unaware until you’ve let them go. Your oaths, your duties, all your many tiresome responsibilities. The fear, the doubt, the very uncertainty of life itself. What a terrible weight. Be free of it, won’t you? We can help you do that."

As one, all the eyes of the many different patrons watch the strangers.

Beswill raises his glass. “May I propose a toast? …To knowing inner peace, clarity of purpose, unity, and contentment at last. Now, drink up, my friends. Drink up.”

The inn is utterly silent... The calm before the breaking of the storm.

Replies? Actions?

Telkis, please roll a Saving Throw vs. Poison at +4 for drinking "very sparingly." Thanks.

Map:
Golden Grain Inn 0.jpg
Golden Grain Inn 0.jpg (399.26 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
Each square is 5 feet.
The bracket shapes in the walls are chimneys.
BB is Bertram Beswill. W1 and W2 are serving wenches.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst those in the common room, Hoom Feethos is not more than 30 feet away. The elven thief crawls across the floor of a dark, empty bedroom in the northeast corner of the Golden Grain Inn (6).

Hoom pulls back the area rug and blindly touches the wooden floor beneath, feeling a circular trap door. He feels an iron pull-ring handle set flush into it, with hinges on the door and the pull ring, and no lock or latch. A sickly light defines the thin crack around the trapdoor's circumference.

Feeling around and locating the iron pull ring and hinges of a concealed trap door, Hoom reaching into his backpack and produces one of his bottles of lamp oil. He carefully uncorks the bottle and places drops of oil on the hinges and around the pull ring where metal meets metal. This was a trade secret that he learned from a former thief that had once tried to gain access to his parents jewelry store undetected. He waits for a minute, letting the oil soak in, using his time to secure the cork back in place and bottle which he has wrapped in cloth back into its secure place in his pack. When he feels enough time has passed, he slowly grabs hold of the iron pull and lifts the trap door just a few inches to get a peek at what lay below.

Hoom Feethos opens the trapdoor. For the second time, he opens a door in the Golden Grain Inn onto a scene of horror he’ll not soon forget.

Hoom breathlessly peeks through a crack in the trapdoor down into the deep, stone cellar beneath him. The trapdoor was thinner than the floor it was set into, hence its warmth.

In the 10' wide chamber below, lit by candles, are several iron cages suspended from ceiling beams by chains.

Cages for humans.

Inside three of the cages are Elden Vodarte, the Grey Mouser, and Ingrid Esthof.

All of them are blindfolded, gagged, and bound at their wrists and ankles. They are all slumped prone in their cages, unmoving. Their armor and weapons had been removed. Mouser has welts and bruises on the visible parts of his swollen face.

There is also a man down there; a dark man of darker mien, adorning an eyepatch.

He is standing, looking upward, listening intently to the voices coming through the ceiling, from the inn's common room to the west. He does not see Hoom.

Suddenly, it sounds as if every chair in the common room slid back as one!
The man with the eyepatch reacts and makes ready to leave the room of cages through a door in its eastern wall.
Hoom’s view looks south. To the north, there is more to the long, thin room that Hoom can’t see.

Actions?

Map:
Golden Grain Inn 0a.jpg
Golden Grain Inn 0a.jpg (285.43 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
Each square is 5 feet.
DM Notes:
Elven special ability to surprise: Hoom surprise?: [1d6] = 6 No.
Regular roll for surprise: Surprise: Party: [1d6] = 2, "Monsters": [1d6] = 2 Both surprised. I'll rule that Hoom remains undetected. But eyepatch man and Hoom will both roll initiative next round, to determine order of actions.

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Inn of the Damned

#2 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak will attack if anyone makes a hostile move towards his men.

Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7, Dmg [1d10+4] = 6+4 = 10 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 8+4 = 12 (L)
Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3, Dmg [1d10+4] = 3+4 = 7 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 6+4 = 10 (L)

*facepalm*
That's two attacks, assuming the villagers are level-0 mooks.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Inferno »

Zhym wrote: That's two attacks, assuming the villagers are level-0 mooks.
Yes, fighters and paladins, if you're attacking, please roll two attacks. Thanks.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo knew full well that things were about to go bad, hence his interest in the area near the bar. He reacts as soon as he sees the patrons rise.

He decides to use his height and superb agility to his advantage by attempting to jump onto the top of the bar. (to the south of 11)

Dex check 15: Random D20 [1d20] = 9

If this is possible without being impeded, he continues on towards the stairs, jumping to them in order to get to the higher ground.

Bo knows that these people are simple folk, caught up in an evil plot. He sees them as pawns or thralls, NOT his enemy. He avoids attacking them at all costs but, if he is stopped by an attacker, he will fight back with his spear.

Spear Attack [1d20] = 11 Damage [1d6] = 2

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by AleBelly »

"My oaths and duties ARE my blessing" roars Pelias. "Good patrons of this inn, I implore you to stand back. I do not wish to shed the blood of innocents. Bertram, you drink first. Allow it to cleanse your corrupt soul! Otherwise, you will feel my blade render your flesh!"

If he makes a move to attack, cast or flee without drinking, Pelias will attack Bertram with his sword.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

Telkis has just taken the smallest sip of the ale when Bertram shows his hand. He reflexively spits it out in a fine spray and gasps the word "Poison!" as his head swims for a moment. He instantly springs to action, flipping the table as he surges up out of his seat and draws Cranach. In an upward looping motion he attempts to catch 10 in the groin with the butt of his weapon, then spin into an overhead reverse butt to 09's collarbone.

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 17, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 4+1 = 5, vs L [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8

CRUNCH!

"Ha ha! Bertram, you old dog! 'cough' ...You fell for my...'cough!'... cleverly planned ruse!"

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 20, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6, vs L [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7

CRACK!

He glances in Grothnak's direction to see if he's buying the "ruse" comment and sees the Half-Orc is surrounded by four men. Feeling responsible, he determines to fight his way over to relieve him... at the soonest opportunity. He glares at Bertram. "Any last speeches, you'd like to give before I hand you your ass!?? HaHaHa!!!!!" he laughs then tenses up to rush the innkeeper.
I immediately regret my decision! Ale was a bad choice. :D That's what you get for listening to a foolish Gnome fighter...

In case it's not obvious, Telkis is attacking to incapacitate, not kill.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Quietly and most carefully Hoom lowers the trap door, gently placing the iron ring level to the floor. Leaning forward, he places his large Elven ear to the thin wooden floor, listening for the sounds of foot steps a door.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Cold, Thunderstorms

All warmth leaves Beswill's face as he steps back and says to the adventurers with icy politeness, “Please drink. I think you’ll find it quite a relief. A blessing, really. To abandon at last all the dreadful, worldly burdens you bear, many of which you’re entirely unaware until you’ve let them go. Your oaths, your duties, all your many tiresome responsibilities. The fear, the doubt, the very uncertainty of life itself. What a terrible weight. Be free of it, won’t you? We can help you do that."
Beswill raises his glass. “May I propose a toast? …To knowing inner peace, clarity of purpose, unity, and contentment at last. Now, drink up, my friends. Drink up.”

As one, all the eyes of the many different patrons watch the strangers. The inn is utterly silent... The calm before the breaking of the storm.

Map:
  • Golden Grain Inn 0.jpg
    Golden Grain Inn 0.jpg (399.26 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Suddenly, Pelias roars defiantly, "My oaths and duties ARE my blessing!"

Telkis' head bobs. He blinks hard. The gnome spits out the ale from his mouth in a fine spray and gasps the word, "Poison!"
He feels all wrong. Exhausted. And strange. Suddenly, he can no longer hold up his eyelids. Or his head. He has a sense of freefall... into comforting sleep. The room lilts hard. Telkis jolts up, awake but drugged and groggy.*

Meanwhile, Pelias calls, "Good patrons of this inn, I implore you to stand back. I do not wish to shed the blood of innocents. Bertram, you drink first. Allow it to cleanse your corrupt soul! Otherwise, you will feel my blade render your flesh!"

The good patrons of the inn don't stand back. Unfazed, Beswill says, with primly diabolical lips, "I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Don’t struggle. You’ll only hurt yourselves. It’s painless if you merely allow it to be. It’ll all be over in a moment. Lay down your burdens. Release yourselves of care and fear, forever. Embrace the calm surety of oblivion."

When the adventurers don't comply, all the inn's patrons move against them as one, and are preempted by the party's speed and skill.

KRAKA-THOOM! The storm breaks.

Telkis flips the table, sending steins of venomous ale crashing to the floor, as he surges up out of his seat and draws Cranach. In an upward looping motion he smashes a grandfatherly farmer with pale eyes (10) in the groin with the butt of his weapon. CRUNCH! The old man collapses.
Telkis says, "Ha ha! Bertram, you old dog! 'cough' ...You fell for my...'cough!'... cleverly planned ruse!" He glances in Grothnak's direction to see if he's buying the "ruse" comment.

Long Bo jumps up onto the top of the bar, and runs south along it, leaping from the end to the stairs to get to higher ground. Bo knows that these people are simple folk, caught up in an evil plot. He sees them as pawns or thralls, NOT his enemy. A third generation corn farmer (13) unsheathes a shortsword and readies to attack him, and Bo defends himself with his spear, wounding him!

Grothnak sees the patrons moving on him and his company, and attacks a local man, whose nose was red and vein-ridden from too much drink (04), with Vadok his halberd, swinging wide.

Pelais wants to attack Beswill, but there is a line of patrons between them. He attacks the line, swinging at a kindly, respectable husband and father of two young twins (08) and misses, his sword tangled in the chairs and overturned table of the tight nook inwhich Beswill had placed him.

The villagers show no fear of these armed and armored men! They lunge forward with unexpected ferocity and savagery!

Five locals attack Grothnak with clubs and the flat sides of their shortsword blades! Two of them, a murderous, loving mother of three (02), and a bloodthirsty, sweet country doctor (05), badly wound the half-orc warrior with surprisingly merciless, savage attacks! (-10hp!)

Near Pelias and Telkis, the patrons press forward in a crush! Two attack Pelias and one of them, a kindly, respectable husband and father of two young twins (08), brutally clubs the paladin across the jaw! (-2hp)
Three ferocious locals attack Telkis, including a young farm girl earning extra pocket money, wielding a carving knife (W2). All three miss the groggy gnome fighter.

Two citizens of Briarsgate follow Long Bo to the foot of the stairs. One (14) throws a chair up at him, missing with a splintering crash, while the other, a third generation corn farmer with murder in his eyes (13) hits the druid soundly with the flat of his shortsword blade! (-6hp!)

Suddenly, above him, Long Bo hears doors opening and many footsteps, coming from upstairs!

Telkis continues his attack, spinning Cranach into an overhead reverse butt to shatter the collarbone of the town drunk (09). CRUNCH! The drunk falls to the ground and Telkis glares at Bertram. "Any last speeches, you'd like to give before I hand you your ass!?? HaHaHa!!!!!"

Grothnak swings his halberd again at one of the barbaric patrons and narrowly misses killing himself with a fumbling attack!

Pelias, still entangled in a table and chair, also badly misses the mark with his sword, leaving himself wide open for a murderous villager's counterattack which fails!

Bertram Beswill, with a voice as cold as the hangman's noose, says, "Yes, my brothers. Don't let up. Soon they will join us."

Replies? Actions?
Golden Grain Inn 1.jpg
Golden Grain Inn 1.jpg (398.39 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
DM Notes:
Map:
    • Each square is 5 feet.
      Red foes are unconscious or dead.

Telkis Saves vs. Poison. He now has -2 to hit, reaction and initiative.
The party has within it people who attack twice, so no Initiative roll is needed. Party goes first and last.
01-05 Attacking Grothnak: [1d20] = 10,[1d20] = 20,[1d20] = 9,[1d20] = 14,[1d20] = 20, Two critical hits. :(
Damage on Grothnak: [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3 5 total = 10 due to critical hits.
07-08 Attacking Pelias: [1d20] = 4, [1d20] = 20 One critical hit. :cry:
Damage on Pelias: [1d6] = 1 1 = 2 due to critical hit.
06,09,W2 on Telkis: [1d20] = 3, [1d20] = 10, [1d20] = 10 All miss.
13, 14 Attacking Long Bo: [1d20] = 15, [1d20] = 12 One hits.
Damage on Long Bo: [1d6] = 6 Maxes for 6 damage.
Fumbles: Grothnak: [1d8] = 7, Pelias: [1d8] = 5 Wild Swing and Opening
Grothnak Fumble: to hit: [1d20] = 13, target: number of foe and 6 = Grothnak: [1d6] = 6, damage: [1d5+2] = 5+2 = 7 Grothnak narrowly misses himself for max possible damage.
Pelias Fumble Causes Bonus Attack by Target: [1d20] = 5, damage: [1d6] = 2 Misses.

For the second time, Hoom opens a door in the Golden Grain Inn (6) onto a scene of horror he’ll not soon forget.

In the deathly silence before the storm, Hoom quietly and most carefully lowers the trap door, gently placing the iron ring level to the floor. Leaning forward, he places his large Elven ear to the floor, listening. He hears footsteps and the sound of a door opening and closing.

Then the storm breaks, literally and figuratively. Thunder and a sudden wall of pelting rain can be heard outside. Then, through the western wall, the sounds of battle erupt!

Actions?

Map:
  • Golden Grain Inn 0a.jpg
    Golden Grain Inn 0a.jpg (285.43 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
    Each square is 5 feet.

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 3/17
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 9/15, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 16/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak gets angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry. He strikes back with the full force of Vadok at the villagers who injured him.

Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22, Dmg [1d10+4] = 6+4 = 10 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 8+4 = 12 (L)
Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12, Dmg [1d10+4] = 8+4 = 12 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 3+4 = 7 (L)

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Nothing. Hoom could hear nothing from below. The storm outside filled his ears, even when he muffed his ear, that lay open to the air, with his hand. HIs Elven ear could not help this time so he turned to his Elven mind.

Back in his father shop he once cut a stone about the size of his fist with 20 sides. He made several more and developed a game. The object of the game was to throw the cut stone along a fresh path and guess how many facet marking it would leave. Hoom got quite good. He learned to roll his ball with such finesse that he could predict the distant, time and amount of facet that would leave behind.

Hoom kneeling in front of the trap door, no longer listening, now upright thinks to himself. How many facets to the door at the one eye human speed? 47 facet? no, 56 for sure. Hoom counts to himself 1,2,3… all the way to 56 imagining each facets on floor below. He then removes his dagger from it's place and rests it in his teeth. With his right hand he places it around the iron pull ring once again and pull the door up as before. He leans over peers below hoping his ball rolling skill are still keen.
Is there a ladder going down? How far of a drop?
Any beams or chains than can be used to move across the ceiling to a hanging cages?
Light sources?
Furniture in the room, crates, or large boulders in which is large enough to hid behind. Any shrouded in darkness or not?
Do you think a player character(s) owes old Hoom an apology?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias looks into the eyes of the townsfolk attacking them. "Marionettes! Our assailants are mere marionettes. Strike the puppetmaster!" He says, glancing at Bertram. The paladin, unable to reach Bertram, attempts to subdue his attackers with the flat of his blade.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo hears the noise above him and quickly realizes that his great idea to separate himself from the group has just gotten him surrounded. He tries to react as fast as he can, the whole time shouting at the top of his booming voice...

Hoom! You son of a motherless goblin! If you are behind this attack...WE WILL HAVE OUR REVENGE!!!

The lanky man then braces himself on the next step up behind him and, without even looking to see who is now coming at him from above, he pushes off the higher step with all his might. He tries to dive over (or push through) the two remaining thralls below him on the stairs, ending in an acrobatic summersault on the floor near Grothnak.

Dex check:15
Random D20 [1d20] = 5

If this actually works, and he still has the time, he uses the butt of his spear to attempt to knock out another of the other possessed patrons.

Spear Attack [1d20] = 4 Damage [1d6] = 1

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis, groggy from the poison, trusts to his instincts, lashing out with the butt of Cranach. He feels oddly at peace, almost, fighting in tight quarters like this - it reminds him of the good times he had alongside his Dwarven clan brothers back home. First responsibility: assist your brother. He aims for the gut of 06:

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 14, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6, vs L [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

Somewhere in the back of his mind Telkis is disgusted at the thought of subduing these peasants, who are clearly out of their wits. He pays no attention, there'll be time for regret later. He springs off the bench with Cranach held like a quarterstaff, attempting to clothesline the serving wench (W2).

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 14, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 3+1 = 4, vs L [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8

"Give em hell, Pelias! Let's rush 'urp' that scoundrel! ... I don't feel so good..." Staggering slightly, he gets a momentary vision: Hoom staring down at him, slowly shaking his head in disappointment, then turning away. I must appologize to that elf at first opportunity, he thinks. This place has got me acting like a fool, doubting my friends."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Cold, Thunderstorms

In a dark bedroom within the Golden Grain Inn (6), Hoom hears the unmistakable din of a pitched life-and-death struggle raging nearby, to the west.

He patiently counts to almost a minute, places his dagger between his teeth, and pulls open the trap door. He leans over and peers into the dungeon below.

The deep, stone cellar is empty, except for its three caged prisoners.
Three candles still burn in the chamber of horror. The cages dangle a foot off the floor and two feet from the ceiling.
Extra blindfolds, gags and ropes lay on a wooden table with benches beside it. A ladder rests against the wall beneath the trap door. Two chests lean against the northern wall. On the southern wall is a stout wooden door with a large bar across it, holding the door shut tight. Another door, unbarred, is set into the western wall. The chamber is 10' x 25', running north to south.

Among the sounds of battle, Hoom thinks he hears his name being shouted.

Actions?

The Golden Grain Inn's (6) common room suddenly exploded in a murderous brawl of bloodthirsty barbarism that matched the merciless ferocity and savagery of the raging thunderstorm outside. It was perfect chaos.

Telkis, groggy with poison, lashes out with his morningstar, hammering the gut of a wandering minstrel with an eye for the ladies (06), who was trying to kill the gnome. The bard doubled over in an agonizing heap.

Long Bo hears noise above him and quickly realizes that he's surrounded. His booming voice cries, "Hoom! You son of a motherless goblin! If you are behind this attack...WE WILL HAVE OUR REVENGE!!!" as he leaps down hard into his nearest assailants, crashing through them and landing in a heap at the bottom of the stairs, somehow rolling out of that tangle of limbs and hate in one piece!

Grothnak's grievous wounds make him angry. He strikes back with the full force of Vadok at the loving mother of three (02), killing her instantly.

Pelais looks into the eyes of the townsfolk attacking them. "Marionettes! Our assailants are mere marionettes. Strike the puppetmaster!" He says, glancing at Bertram. The paladin, unable to reach Bertram, strikes the kindly, respectable husband and father of two young twins (08) with the flat of his blade, knocking him out!

The villagers continue their wild onslaught!

Four villagers attack Grothnak and two mange to pierce his defenses, a fat butcher (03) and the bloodthirsty, sweet country doctor (05). Luckily for the half-orc, they both merely graze him (-2hp total)!

Near Pelias and Telkis, the patrons keep coming, replacing the fallen like there was no end to the rampaging souls in the grip of violence and mayhem. But none could penetrate the armor and shield of the paladin or the gnome!

Pelias hears the door on his right hand open a crack!

The two villagers that Long Bo bowled over regain their feet and charge him with relentless, mad fury!
The third generation corn farmer (13) and a muleskinner who was as thin as a whipcord (14) mercilessly beat the druid into unconsciousness! (-11hp!)

Heavy footsteps thunder down the stairs into the common room! Reinforcements were coming; grim-faced men with drawn shortswords wearing studded leather armor (15-19)!

Telkis continues his attack against the unending waves. "Give em hell, Pelias! Let's rush 'urp' that scoundrel! ... I don't feel so good..."
The gnome warrior springs off the bench with Cranach held like a quarterstaff, and clotheslines the young farmgirl with the carving knife (W2). She falls, hitting her head on the floor hard. She doesn't get up.

Grothnak, barely conscious now, strikes a fell-handed blow upon the sweet country doctor (05) and cuts him down.

Pelias attempts to subdue a villager and cannot land a blow this time.

Bertram Beswill draws a dagger from under his apron and readies to direct the reinforcements to where they are most needed. "Gentlemen, perhaps you would be so kind as to help us with these unruly guests?"

Actions?
Golden Grain Inn 2.jpg
Golden Grain Inn 2.jpg (421.19 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
DM Notes:
Map:
    • Each square is 5 feet.
      Red markers are unconscious or dead.

Telkis has -2 to hit, reaction and initiative.
The party has within it people who attack twice, so no Initiative roll is needed. Party goes first and last.

1,3,4,5 Attack Grothnak: [1d20] = 6, [1d20] = 18, [1d20] = 1, [1d20] = 19, Two hit and one fumbles.
Damage on Grothnak: [2d6] = 2 2 damage is the minimum possible!
Fumbled attack against Grothnak: [1d8] = 4 Dex save or slip.
Fumbler's Dex save: [1d20] = 8 Makes dex save.
7, W1 Attacking Pelias: [1d20] = 2, [1d20] = 9 Both miss.
11,12,W2 Attacking Telkis: [1d20] = 15, [1d20] = 16,[1d20] = 8, All miss.
13, 14 Attacking Bo: [1d20] = 15, [1d20] = 17 Both hit.
Damage on Bo: [2d6] = 11 11 points damage to Bo. Almost maximum damage. :(

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 1/17
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP -2/15, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 16/19

Magic:

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by AleBelly »

"Hoom, where in the five hells are you?" roars Pelias, seeing Grothnak in dire straits and Bo knocked out. He will try to subdue 07 or W1 and in the resulting gap rush Bertram, even if it means a free attack for his enemy. If it's not possible, he'll try to subdue another townsfolk.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Over the heads of the crazed villagers and beyond Bertram, Telkis sees Bo suddenly go flying over his assailants, expertly tucking and rolling, only to get beaten down in the next instant. He loses it momentarily. Striking sideways at the villager to his right (12)

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 11, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6, vs L [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
Maaaaaybe that hit??? Poiiisoooon!!!! (Shakes fist in air)
He then attempts to rebound to catch the other one in the jaw (11)

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 15, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 8+1 = 9, vs L [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7
Still striking to subdue, of course.
He will then, if the area around him is clear, draw his bow and wait to see who's causing all the tromping on the stairs. If there are still fools in melee range, he'll attempt to keep them off Pelias when the paladin rushes Bertram.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Quickly moving into position, Hoom slides down the ladder wasting no time to the howls of the wind that seem to call his name. Hoom makes his way to the western wall where the unbarred door lies. He quickly secures the western door in the same manner of the southern door placing it's primitive locking mechanism into place. He then turns to his three captured comrades. He goes to the Gray Mouser first for he has skills unlike himself that could quicken their release.

"Mouser, it's Hoom. I've come to free you, Mouser." He says as he starts on the lock to the cage hoping that his comrade will give him a sign of recognition.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Cold, Thunderstorms

The adventurers investigating the strange rumors of Briarsgate enter the Golden Grain Inn (6) looking for their friends. They've heard that strangers who go there are rarely seen again. Now they know why.

Astonishingly, all the seemingly-normal villagers of Briarsgate in the common room had suddenly lunged forward and attacked the adventurers with fearless, harrowing fury! The Druid was the first to fall.

Telkis momentarily loses it upon seeing Long Bo overcome. He strikes sideways at the villager to his right, a rampaging young farmer (12), and shatters his ribcage, smashing him into the inn’s floor.

Grothnak, badly beaten, grits his teeth and continues fighting. Perhaps from the grievous injuries suffered so far, or the crushing crowd of attackers, or their innocent yet deadly faces, the half-orc warrior loses control of his halberd again and once more nearly kills himself with it!

"Hoom, where in the five hells are you?" roars Pelias, seeing Grothnak in dire straits and Bo knocked out. The young paladin successfully subdues a murderous serving wench (W1) with his blade-flat and in the resulting gap rushes Bertram Beswill, who glares with venomous contempt at Pelias. “You really should have drank when you had the choice. You could have avoided all this unnecessary pain and anguish.”

The inn patrons retaliate with shocking, reckless abandon!

The two men that had beaten Long Bo to within an inch of his life (13 and 14), race to join the crush on the badly injured Grothnak! Five villagers attack the half-orc but none manage to harm him. Grothnak still stands!

The five reinforcements from the second floor, grim-faced men with shortswords and studded leather armor (15-19), join the assault on Pelias and Telkis!

The gnome’s armor and speed, and the growing wall of victims around him forming a barricade of sorts, protects Telkis!

Beswill unhesitatingly meets Pelias’ charge and misses so badly with his dagger that he nearly loses a finger!

Pelias succeeds in defending against all attackers he can see, but in advancing to Beswill, he exposes his rear flank.
From the kitchen door skulk two men who were watching from its crack; an unwholesome, rat-faced cook with a dagger (20)

and a dark man with an eyepatch and an evil grin (21).

Both strike insidiously at Pelias’ back, and the eyepatched man succeeds, stabbing deep with his rapier! (-10hp from backstab!) The rat-faced cook marvels, “That’s good work there, that is, Desleigh.”

Telkis rebounds and crashes Cranach into the chin of a middle-aged redhead man with a wine colored birthmark on his face (11), shattering his jaw and several teeth for good measure. The redhead collapses in a heap. Telkis considers his bow, but the unending horde keeps coming!

Grothnak refuses to fall. He regains control of Vadok and hacks at the fat butcher and misses.

Pelias, surrounded on all sides and bleeding from his back, strikes Beswill with the flat side of his longsword’s steel in a glancing blow that doesn’t fell his foeman! Pelias sees that none of the patrons seem to afford Beswill any special protection. He is not their leader but their equal, another soldier in this unlikely, bloodthirsty battle; perchance just another marionette.

Actions?
Golden Grain Inn 3.jpg
Golden Grain Inn 3.jpg (421.5 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
DM Notes:
Map:
    • Each square is 5 feet.
      Red markers are unconscious or dead.
      Sharing a 5' square with someone while fighting (even if they are unconscious) gives a penalty of -1 to hit.
      The Kitchen (room 2) only shows what can be seen from Telkis’ POV.

Telkis has -2 to hit, reaction and initiative.

Grothnak Fumble: [1d8] = 7 Wild swing.
Wild Swing Hits Who? start with 01, go clockwise, ending with Grothnak: [1d4] = 4 Grothnak targets self with wild swing...
Grothnak fumble to hit self: [1d20] = 12 ...And misses.
1,3,4,13,14 Attack Grothnak: [1d20] = 12, [1d20] = 4, [1d20] = 14, [1d20] = 7, [1d20] = 3 All miss.
BB, 7, 19, 20, 21 Attack Pelias: [1d20] = 1, [1d20] = 13, [1d20] = 2, [1d20] = 4, [1d20] = 17 One hits.
BB Fumble Result: [1d8] = 7 Wild swing.
BB Wild Swing Target: 1=07, 2=19, 3=BB: [1d3] = 3 Bertram targets self with wild swing...
BB Fumble, To Hit Self: [1d20] = 6 ...And misses.
21 damage on Pelias: [1d6] = 5 Doubled for backstab = 10 damage.
15,16,17 Attacking Telkis: [1d20] = 14, [1d20] = 12, [1d20] = 2 All miss.

In a dark bedroom within the Golden Grain Inn (6), Hoom hears the unmistakable din of a pitched life-and-death struggle raging nearby, to the west. A second time, he hears his voice shouted.

Hoom opens the trapdoor to the dungeon beneath the inn and, dagger in his teeth, descends into it. The elven thief slides down the ladder and quickly bars the western door. Then he turns to his three captured comrades. He goes to the Grey Mouser first for he has skills like himself that could quicken their release. "Mouser, it's Hoom. I've come to free you, Mouser."

The locks are primitive, more likely fashioned by a blacksmith than a locksmith. Using his enchanted elven lockpicks, Hoom unlocks Mouser’s cage door. But Mouser doesn’t stir at Hoom’s words. The few exposed areas of his skin show bruises and welts, signs of the brutal beating that placed him into this unconscious state. His weapons, gear and armor are missing.

Actions?
Golden Grain Inn Cellar 3.jpg
Golden Grain Inn Cellar 3.jpg (272.46 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
DM Notes:
Map:
    • Each square is 5 feet.
      Shape and size of the inn’s foundation/cellar is an estimation only, based on the first floor’s footprint.
      The ‘circle C’ is the trapdoor in the ceiling, although I’m sure this is all copyrighted elsewhere. ;)

Cage locks are +10% to be picked, due to their crude construction.

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 1/17
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP -2/15, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 6/19

Magic:

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Having planned to assist the beleagered Grothnak with his bow, Telkis is now irritated at the arrival of yet more witless attackers. He can barely see over the bodies piling up as is! "How many idiot villagers am I gonna have to drop before you learn your lesson!" he cries. He swings the butt of his morningstar like a bat into the hip of one armed assailant and brings down the head of it on the foot of the other in quick succession. (15 and 16)

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 17, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6, vs L [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3

THWUMP!

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 18): To Hit:[1d20] = 13, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 3+1 = 4, vs L [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

CRUNCH!

To avoid being surrounded himself, he'll stick to his corner until he can take care of the next wave. "Hang in there, Pelias! I'm coming! Grothnak, think of your honor! Let''s get monkey on these fools!" he yells, determined to bean every last one of them if necessary...

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”