Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

#101 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo instantly begins casting his now familiar alteration as soon as he hears his avian friend coming towards him. Speak with Animals

He speaks softly to the bird, trying to keep its words secret from the others ears.

Calm down now and tell me what you have you seen my keen eyed friend!
What of the lawmen? Did they leave their building? What could you see off in the distance, at that large building where the others are? Have you seen any groups of people come and go from that large building? Did you happen to notice the travels of the elf here?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Inferno »

Sephus the crow's replies have been posted in Bo's private IC forum.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

Telkis looks to Hoom and nods in confirmation. He puts away his bow and hefts Cranach. "I volunteer to be a distraction at the front door while the rest of you sneak in the back." He looks to the others for agreement, primarily Grothnak, whom he assumes to have a firm grasp of tactics. A voice in the back of his mind keeps repeating don't trust your friends, don't trust your friends. On a hunch he approaches Long Bo when he Druid has finished whispering to his crow. "I have a funny feeling about this, Bo," he says as softly as he can, "Would you be adverse to having your bird friend take a peek in the window and report back what he sees? Twice telling, Hoom has failed to mention who "they" are, which strikes me as odd. Perhaps it's nothing. But if the others are slain in pools of blood, "they" wouldn't have been able to hide it this quickly. Some visual confirmation of what we're fighting before we arrive would be nice."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom moves quietly around the building using the darkening shadows to hide his approach.
OOC: Do I roll for Stealth and Hide in Shadows, or do you?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#105 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

A voice in the back of his mind keeps repeating don't trust your friends, don't trust your friends. On a hunch he approaches Long Bo when he Druid has finished whispering to his crow. "I have a funny feeling about this, Bo," he says as softly as he can, "Would you be adverse to having your bird friend take a peek in the window and report back what he sees? Twice telling, Hoom has failed to mention who "they" are, which strikes me as odd. Perhaps it's nothing. But if the others are slain in pools of blood, "they" wouldn't have been able to hide it this quickly. Some visual confirmation of what we're fighting before we arrive would be nice."
Bo whispers some more bird talk to Sephus and launches him towards the inn.

He then looks at Telkis, first with distrust, and then changing over to understanding.

Jeeez Telkis! Sorry my little friend, but it was as if you were reading my mind for a second there. Bo nods and smiles at the powerful gnome. I must agree with everything that you just said.

When the elf slips away Bo replies to the remaining three. My crow does not tell the same tale as the elf. He says that he was shouting orders at the people inside when he left the inn and that he "slowly" walked to the cabin where we found him.

I don't presume that Hoom is in on this diabolical plot but, it is possible that he was somehow charmed to mislead us or some such thing. We need to keep our eye on him in any case. I would like to think that I am just being paranoid due to these eerie circumstances but, better safe than dead I always say.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Inferno »

Sephus the crow's latest replies have been posted in Bo's private IC forum.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by AleBelly »

"What vexes your avian companion, Bo?" asks Pelias. "Does your friend possess the intellect and bravery to check on Felicity and Killian while we attend to our friends?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#108 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

When his bird returns from its reconnaissance flight, Bo spends the last seconds of his magic spell ascertaining its information. He then tells his findings to the rest of the group.

Sephus says that the inn is full of men and that we shouldn't go........well, never mind that part.

If we are that outnumbered, I think we need to create a diversion outside to see if we can draw some of them out of there. If I can entangle a group of them, we might be able to get the numbers back in our favor.

Any ideas how we could draw some of them outside, or are you fighters willing to simply kick in the door and try to overpower them?

The druid ponders the idea of sending the crow to the farmhouse but doubts his ability to understand that complex of a command.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Decoy

"We could set fire to one of the abandoned properties? Providing there is one sufficiently isolated as to not spread. At any rate, I believe a distraction is a good idea."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak frowns. He paces for a moment, muttering to himself. "We cannot rely on bringing them outside," he says when he stops pacing. "Ingrid, Vodarte, and the Mouser are inside. That gives our enemies a tactical advantage. We have to go in; they do not have to come out."

"A frontal attack would not have been my choice. But it seems to be our only option with our companions captured and down." He turns to Hoom. "Do you have the power to put your enemies to sleep? If so, perhaps that should be our opening move. Then we could attack, having fewer enemies to face. Our purpose would be to get in, retrieve Ingrid, Vodarte, and Mouser, and get out."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom answers Grothnak question before disappearing into the darkness as post earlier.
Zhym wrote:"Do you have the power to put your enemies to sleep? If so, perhaps that should be our opening move."
"I have no innate ability though some claim otherwise. I do know an arcane enchantment that will render sleep but I am not strong enough to work such sorcery. My body is weak from my last incantation when I was here last. And my open move is one my enemy will never see."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Inferno »

DadsAngry wrote:Hoom Feethos:

Hoom moves quietly around the building using the darkening shadows to hide his approach.

OOC: Do I roll for Stealth and Hide in Shadows, or do you?
Please roll for Move Quietly and Hide in Shadows. Please subtract 30 from your Hide die roll result due to darkness of night. Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:
Move Silently (38%) [1d100] = 35 - Hide in Shadows (37%) [1d100-30] = 31-30 = 1
Hoom disappears into the darkness with little to no sound.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Inferno »

DadsAngry wrote:Hoom Feethos:
Hoom disappears into the darkness with little to no sound.

Nice! Where is he going? And what's his path, specifically?
Same questions for the rest of you. :)
You are all currently 160 feet east of the Golden Grain Inn, by the crossroads (near 8, 9 and 12).
Thanks.

Map of Briarsgate
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#115 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo tries to organize an attack that might be the last thing this group does.

I'm obviously no mastermind on such matters so I will go along with whatever tactics the fighters decide. Perhaps half of us could go through the front and the others go through the back. At least that way, if we get overrun, we might still be able to make a clean escape. I'm afraid my magic won't be of much use indoors however. I still have one cure left if things get real ugly in there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Zhym »

"Let us not further divide our forces," says Grothnak. "The more we concentrate our efforts on the front door, the better Hoom's surprise at the rear. I suggest that Pelias and Telkis focus on crowd control while Bo and I retrieve our fallen companions. The purpose of this battle is to get in, get Ingrid, Votarte, and Mouser, and get out. If the people in the inn follow us outside, Bo can entangle them."

"We do not yet know what has caused these people to turn against their fellow villagers," he adds. "Kill when you must, and do not stay your hand where lives are at stake, but do not be bloodthirsty. We are not trying to kill everyone in the inn unless necessary!"

He looks to the others. "Agreed? Then let's go."

The orc-blood strides purposefully toward the inn.
The logic behind Grothnak's allocation of duties is that Pelias and Telkis have the best AC and HP of the bunch. Grothnak, being strongest, is the best one to pick up Ingrid, Vodarte, and Mouser and bring them outside quickly. Bo isn't especially strong, but should be able to drag one of the unconscious PCs out of the inn. Or he can hang back and do outside crowd control. A swarm of insects might help inside the inn, if there's one particular foe we need to neutralize.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Good enough, let's go. Keep an eye out for archers in the windows, now." says Telkis. He scampers up just in front of Grothnak, intending to be the first one in the door, to take advantage of the "over under" technique. "Pelias, this frontal assault should suit you - a very honest attack." He winks. "I'll take right, you go left upon entry, ok?" He vaguely wishes they had set an abandoned house on fire, but reluctantly agrees it might have gotten out of hand.

When they burst in, if attacked, he'll go for up close, non-lethal knee and groin attacks with the butt of his morningstar.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias laughs at Telkis's statement. "Quite right." The paladin falls to a knee and briefly prays over his beads. He stands upright, kisses the shield sporting the emblem of Heironeus and holds his sword aloft. "For our friends! Stay close! If we battle evil, the protection of my lord will fall upon all of us!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#119 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Lets roll! Bo nods his agreement to the plan.

I will do what I can to get our friends out while you all hold them off. If we end up getting chased outside, stick together and leave the rest to me.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom proceeds up the road making his way to the inn. Sticking close to the stable to take advantage of it's natural cover. The neighing and snorting of the horse masks Hoom's misstep as he slicks along the rotted walls. Masked in darkness and a odoriferous scent of manure, he stealths along toward the inn's corral. Along the way looking for open windows or other points of entry other than the front door.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”