Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

Inferno
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

#81 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Surprised and relieve to see Bo and Pelias Hoom rapidly tells his tale.
"They are dead! All of the dead. Mouser, Ingrid, and Vodarte, there was nothing I could do. There was too many of them. Thank Saint Cuthbert your alive. Where are the other? We have to get out of this place. This town is full of murders. I went to check on the Mouser and the others at the inn when my own contact here in the city was no where to be found. The inn keeper Beswill won't let me in at first but I enchanted to think differently. The horror I saw when I entered. All of them dead on the ground, Mouser looking the worst of them. All the patrons, even the wenches looked to be involved. I acted quickly and used my wits and charm and made it out alive for I surely would have met the same fate as the others. Afterwards I came to this cottage in search of help. A villager I spoke with early said it housed my own kinsmen but it looks like they have disappeared as well. The rumor about this place are true, it cursed with evil. We must flee."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias's face falls as he hears Hoom's news. Then his jaw sets, resolute.

"Such treachery cannot go unpunished, Hoom. How many were there? Are you sure they are dead? I will gather Telkis and Grothnak. We shall avenge our companions. Who is with me?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#83 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo gasps audibly at the words of Hoom and his eyes grow to the size of saucers.

Unknowingly to the others however, he does this to hide his suspicions of the elfs story. He turns his back to the elf and gives the paladin a look of seriousness while raising his eyebrows and darting his eyes towards the elf. He hopes that Pelias will pick up on his suspicions but not give them away. He wants the young Keeper to detect for an evil aura from the elf, thinking that he might be the one who is ensorcelled, but doesn't risk saying it out loud.

He quickly turns back towards Hoom. WHAT??? We have been in this town for less than an hour and over a third of our party is dead? That's preposterous! Did you see anyone else in there? The constable or magistrate perhaps?

Bo whistles loudly towards the building where he left Sephus, calling him to return to him.

We most certainly will NOT flee!!! We must get to the bottom of this and avenge the senseless deaths of our friends!

Pelias! Will you go retrieve the others and meet me back here as quickly as possible? I will find out what my avian friend saw while you are gone. Hoom, you can flee if you like but I will not simply abandon our friends like that without actually being sure that they are dead. You can help if it suits you, but I won't think less of you if you run from this horror.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:
AleBelly wrote:"Such treachery cannot go unpunished, Hoom. How many were there? Are you sure they are dead? I will gather Telkis and Grothnak. We shall avenge our companions. Who is with me?"
"Well they might have not been completely dead. They were not move moving and Mouser looked really bad and there were so many of them I didn't know what to do. There was 8 or 9 of them maybe more I don't remember now it was such a horrifying sight. Like I said it looked like the whole lot of them patron and servers were all in on it. They would have gotten me too if I didn't deceive them. Why didn't I just stay with the group. My foster mother alway told me to stick together why didn't I listen."
OGRE MAGE wrote:"Did you see anyone else in there? The constable or magistrate perhaps?[/dialog]
Thinking hard Hoom replies "I don't know. Does one of them wear and eye patch?"
OGRE MAGE wrote: We most certainly will NOT flee!!! We must get to the bottom of this and avenge the senseless deaths of our friends!

Pelias! Will you go retrieve the others and meet me back here as quickly as possible? I will find out what my avian friend saw while you are gone. Hoom, you can flee if you like but I will not simply abandon our friends like that without actually being sure that they are dead. You can help if it suits you, but I won't think less of you if you run from this horror.
"No way I'm not leaving your side. I learned my lesson. No wander off for me. Pelias be careful who knows, the whole town might be out to get us."

Hoom Feethos draws his short sword which make him feel a little more secure.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by AleBelly »

"Then we should all go retrieve the others, and retrieve our friends with full force" replies Pelias.

"You have shown great bravery, Hoom. I am glad to be in your company."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo nods at Pelias.

Yes, let's all go retrieve them then. We have only been gone for a couple of minutes and we can still see the place from here, nothing bad better have become of them in this short of a time. Quickly now! We must make haste!

The tall druid takes off for the farmhouse, watching Hoom closely as they run. He continues to whistle for Sephus, trying to get his friend to catch back up with him.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom joins the other two staying very close and not letting either one out of his sight. As they travel Hoom vigilantly watches his surroundings as well as checking behind him and sighing in relief when there is nothing to see.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Early evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, threatening rain

Hoom Feethos is reunited with Long Bo and Pelias at the Small Cottage (9) where elves are said to live.
After hearing Hoom's tale of horror, the three race back to the Gade's Farmhouse (19).

The deathly silent village is filled with looming shadows beneath tumultuous, dark skies. Houses, lit from within, have vague forms moving behind drawn curtains.

The map of your path and what you see on it:
(Long Bo and Pelias have seen this and can safely skip this section, but...)
Hoom sees for the first time:
Briarsgate Map.jpg
Briarsgate Map.jpg (682.74 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
  • The Mayor’s Residence (10), a house set well back from the road, overlooking the water. This is by far the most imposing house in the village. The wellcrafted home is also well cared for. You can see a carriage house in the back.

A Rundown Farmhouse (13) in desperate need of repair. The front door, porch steps and porch supports are missing. The barn is nearing collapse, but a light within suggests this place is indeed inhabited. A small, sickly, unharvested crop of corn and oats are in the fields.

The Tailor Shop (11), a small, ramshackle building in need of repair. A shutter has come off, shingles are missing and the walls show wood rot in several places.
You cross a small covered bridge and continue past:
  • The Blacksmith (15). The shop is unwalled and closed for the night. There is a light within.

An Abandoned Building (16). The doors and windows of this large, battered and weatherbeaten building are boarded up. A sign lies face down in the weeds before the broken porch. The roof has several holes.

The Carpenter’s Shop (14). A saw-shaped sign hangs before this well-constructed building. The front part of the house is unwalled and the shop is closed for the night. Candlelight burns within.

A Decrepit Farmhouse and Barn (17). Doors and shutters swing freely here. Abandoned desolation, choked by weeds.

You turn north, passing:
  • A Farmhouse and Barn (18) that looks moderately prosperous and well-kept. There is light inside the house.
To the west, you see:
  • A Small Cottage, (20) with a light inside, that can barely be discerned between the trees that surround it and the gathering darkness.
Before you, atop a hill, is:
  • The Village Church (21). A stone temple to Merikka, benevolent goddess of agriculture, fertility and the harvest (chaotic good).
    Church of Merikka.jpg
    Church of Merikka.jpg (462.7 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
You finally stop at:
  • A Farmhouse and Hog Farm (19).
Hoom, Long Bo and Pelais softly knock on the darkened back door of the Farmhouse (19) and are let into the dimly lit home.
Grothnak and Telkis are still there, alive and well and eating a small, cold supper with the owners of the farmhouse who are visibly relieved that Bo and Pelias have returned safely.

They cautiously introduce themselves to Hoom. "I am Killian Gade, and this is my wife Felicity."
Their faces are filled with fear.
The Gades.jpg
The Gades.jpg (121.87 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Actions?

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"It's nice to meet you." Hoom says noticing the look concern on the families face. He then notices that he still has his short sword draw. "oh excuse me." he says as he places the sword back into his scabbard and locking it in place with a piece of leather to make the weapon peace bound. "Sorry about that, I ah... well it's night in all, well you know. I'm Hoom Feethos enterprising jeweler and traveling companion to those present." He watches the couples faces hoping their expression will change more favorably to his presence.

OCC: Awkward.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

"...and his head flew clean off, landing thirty feet away if it was a foot!" says Telkis to Grothnak, recounting the story of the Third Goblin Invasion during his training days with the Brassfang clan. He can't tell at all how his story is going over, as he finds he has great difficulty reading the half-orc's emotions. He's surprised when the others return so soon after departing, with Hoom in tow. "What happened? Where are the others?" he says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#91 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo is still concerned about the elfs behavior but says nothing. He gives the two fighters a stern look and speaks.

If what Hoom just told us is true, the young couple here were correct. It seems that our friends may have already run into trouble at that inn. We came back here to get you. We all need to get to that inn immediately!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak listens attentively to the gnome's tales of battle. When the others return and Hoom tells his story, Grothnak stands bolt upright.

He turns to the Gades. "We must find out if our companions yet live. As Pelias said before, I now ask you: stay here. Bar the door. We will return as soon as we can. Listen for three fast knocks followed by three slow knocks and three fast knocks. That will be our signal. Open the door to no one else!"

He grabs his halberd. "Let's go."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by AleBelly »

Before he leaves with the others, Pelias turns to the apprehensive family. "I pledge I will come back immediately after seeing to our friends. May Heironeus and your god watch over you."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis grabs his weapons and heads out with the others, his bow at the ready. "What did you see, exactly, Hoom? Was it a bloody mess? Were they poisoned? What exactly are we up against?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Fethoos:

To Telkis:
"I'm not sure one quiver will be enough to take them all down Telkis. They vastly out number us. If it weren't for my quick wits I'd be a spirit among the dead, wandering the surrounding forest. It was terrible Telkis. Poor Ingrid her holy robes of Trithereon dirty and torn. No respect for gender or faith. Vodarte so tall and stout, one would not think he could be defeated. But there, his lifeless body lay across a table. His axe in a thick pool of Feywine colored liquid, lay just passed his grasp. Worst of all was Gray, certain no hope for him but to be avenged. Each creature inside played a part. Make no mistake, trust mole one, the innkeeper, the servers, the other patrons, old or young, all murders. Leave not the smallest target out of your sight."
OOC: updated to change halbert to axe.
Last edited by DadsAngry on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Inferno »

DadsAngry wrote:Hoom Fethoos:
"His halberd in a thick pool..."
Fyi, Hoom knows that Vodarte's weapon is an axe.
I don't want DadsAngry's typo to wrongly cast (further?) suspicion upon Hoom.
Hoom would have said 'axe.' Thanks.
:)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by DadsAngry »

Whoops. That's a goof. I was obvious looking at Grothnak character inventory instead of Vodarte. Sorry.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seems suspicious to me. :D
Bo gives the young couple a look of pity just before the group departs. He speaks to Killian. We will return to check on you as soon as we possibly can. I think it is now obvious that there is something wrong here and we will do everything in our power to help you make things right again.

You should block the doors and windows as best you can until our return.

Knowing full well he may never see these people alive again, he looks to the others, ready to make haste to the inn.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, threatening rain

The five remaining members of the expedition to investigate the sinister rumors of Briarsgate reunited at the Gade's Farmhouse (19).

The fear on the Gades' faces didn't lessen when Hoom sheathed his shortsword. Killian holds his wife when the adventurers tell them of their plans to go to the Golden Grain Inn. He nods grimly, agreeing that they would stay here and bar the door, opening it for no one, save Grothnak's knock signal. Then Killian says with direful words, "Remember what I said... about trust."
    • Killian looks Pelias dead in the eye and says grimly, "No. It’s good that you mistrust us, mister. You’re right to do so. So many strangers pass through here. Like yourselves. They think it’s safe. Because it’s a town. But it’s not. It’s not safe. Don’t trust the folk you meet," he implores in deadly earnest. "Don't trust your friends."
"Thank you, noble sirs, on behalf of our family and our village. I don't know how we can ever hope to repay you. May merciful Merikka watch over you, and soon deliver you and your friends safely back to us," says Felicity, tears freely streaming down her brave face.

The adventurers leave the farmhouse and make their way through the ominous, stygian shadows of the hushed village, backtracking on unlit paths south and west until they see, looming ahead in the distance, their terminus:

The Golden Grain Inn (6), a large wooden building decorated with carvings of wheat sheaves along the eaves of the roof, and a sign picturing grain and a pitcher of ale. A corral and stable are off to the side. Its interior is warmly lit, in sharp contrast to the chill autumn night.

Suddenly, something descends on the group! A black shape lands on Long Bo! In a tumult of obsidian talons and feathers, Sephus the crow caws insistently.

Actions?

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Maybe it best that we enter through the rear of the building, through the kitchen. It may give us the element of surprise." he says as he removes his short sword from it's scabbard.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”