Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

The party escapes the Dim Forest like a waking mind emerging from a quickly receding nightmare.

The sky, smudged with rain clouds, is still far brighter than the strange regions now behind them.

The afternoon brings the company across more misty, unforested plains dotted with cottonwood trees. Starlings and kestrals are sighted above. By mid-afternoon of the fourth day, the empty caravan track leads the expedition to a foggy region of farms surrounded by cow pastures and grain fields guarded by scarecrow.

Nothing seems amiss.

An hour later, one day from a life-and-death struggle with supernatural undead horrors, and seemingly a world away, a cluster of buildings is visible in the distance ahead, framed by trees, mist, and a thicket wall of bramble and thorns – Briarsgate.

Actions?

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger 2: AC 3, HP 20/20
The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4(5), HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 8/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 2: AC 3(1), HP 10/12*, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 11/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 1: AC 2, HP 5/11*
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*HP to be modified after your new level's die rolls. Thanks.
Edited to replace a broken link to a photo.
Last edited by Inferno on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Forsaken Village

#2 Post by Zhym »

Did our clerics have any healing spells left to use before turning in for the night?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Inferno »

No. But morning healings, and anything else that anyone wanted to cover before reaching Briarsgate, can be handled here now. :)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid is sitting next to a campfire. She knows it's a dream, because Khorst Maltess is there, too, alive, with that old smile on his face. He is talking, like he always did on those campfire nights, telling about vampires, ghouls, or just about anything, but Ingrid cannot hear him. She hears a different voice, coming from Khorst's mouth, but originating somewhere else. There are no distinct syllables, just a tone, like the choir of the monastery of Trithereon.

Ingrid awakes rested, calm, and more than ready to face any horrors than ever.

She attends to her companions' needs. The brave Grothnak took the most serious wounds, he needs help before the possible infection from bites and slashes of the foul undead spreads.

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 5

She is sure the wise druid, Bo, will take care of Pelias' wounds.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo rises at the first hint of daybreak. With his own wounds from the horrific battle against the undead already on the mend, he looks to any others that may need the use of his art in natural healing.

He sets Sephus off to stretch his wings and find a meal for himself as he readies some greens and cured meat for the others to break their fast on as they awaken.

When he sees that the quiet paladin Pelias is still rather injured, he administers a healing spell on the groups valued member.

CLW [1d8] = 5

I will be glad to be rid of this damp air and dreaded mist if we ever reach this forsaken town. Between the monsters we face and the moisture in the air, my old bones are chilled to the very marrow.

Once the group reaches Briarsgate, the Druid speaks again.

Does anyone have connections or known associates here? Or, has anyone at least heard of a nice inn? If someone has any knowledge about this town, we should discuss it now, as a group, before heading any further. This doesn't look like it will be a real welcoming place.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"Never been in these parts," says Ingrid to Bo.

She inspects the village from the distance: are there any tell-tale signs of the populace still living there, such as smoke from the chimneys or people moving around? She fears that some of the monsters of the Dim Forest might have attacked the community.
G A M E S :

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

DM:
Fulci wrote:Ingrid Esthof, cleric
She inspects the village from the distance: are there any tell-tale signs of the populace still living there, such as smoke from the chimneys or people moving around? She fears that some of the monsters of the Dim Forest might have attacked the community.
Fair Ingrid can discern townsfolk moving about, chimney smoke, healthy livestock and harvested crops.

From this distance, Briarsgate seems utterly normal.
Fyi, Updated status after healings and leveling:

The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4(5), HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 11/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Seeing nothing a miss with Briarsgate. Hoom will continue into the town in search of an inn.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter

"I never been to a human town b'fore the last one. Is this considered normal, then? Seems decent enough to me. Hard to believe there's ghost pirates or demon dogs besetting it. Or... I forget what the rumors were exactly..." says Telkis, gazing townwards. He'll tag along with Hoom, but keep his brass toothed smile to himself as much as possible, to avoid startling any townsfolk.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Mister-Kent »

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger

"Indeed it seems strikingly normal," Vodarte explains to Telkis. "In my own experience, of course, such mundane setting is where true, deep-seated darkness dwells..."

He continues to press on into the town, eyes open to possible dangers and the reactions of the townsfolk they greet.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthgluk, Half-orc Warrior

Grothnak nods to Ingrid in thanks for her attention to his wounds. His warrior pride does not allow him to ask for healing, but he is gracious enough to acknowledge its value when freely given.

"No point standing out here looking at the town," he says when the party spots the town. He strides forward with determination.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by AleBelly »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Long Bo rises at the first hint of daybreak. With his own wounds from the horrific battle against the undead already on the mend, he looks to any others that may need the use of his art in natural healing.

He sets Sephus off to stretch his wings and find a meal for himself as he readies some greens and cured meat for the others to break their fast on as they awaken.

When he sees that the quiet paladin Pelias is still rather injured, he administers a healing spell on the groups valued member.

CLW [1d8] = 5

I will be glad to be rid of this damp air and dreaded mist if we ever reach this forsaken town. Between the monsters we face and the moisture in the air, my old bones are chilled to the very marrow.

Once the group reaches Briarsgate, the Druid speaks again.

Does anyone have connections or known associates here? Or, has anyone at least heard of a nice inn? If someone has any knowledge about this town, we should discuss it now, as a group, before heading any further. This doesn't look like it will be a real welcoming place.
"Bo, good man, you fought well - and I thank you for your blessing. Allow me to repay you with a gift from the glorious Heironeus." Pelias grasps his prayer beads and lays his other hand on the druid's forehead, healing 4 hp of damage. The paladin steps back, satisfied. "A humble servant, I don't presume to know the will of my Lord. But it seems he has blessed me with more potent gifts of healing after playing but a small role in dispatching the evil we faced yesterday."

He looks towards the city with no expression of recognition. "I know little of the world outside the moral vacuum of my upbringing. But we were sent here to investigate, and so we shall." He strides forward with the half-orc.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo replies in thanks to the paladins healing. You are already wise beyond your years my young friend.

He follows along with the group into town. As he walks, he studies the natural elements of the town that he can observe. Do the animals and crops look healthy? Are there any signs of evidence indicating misuse or mistreatment of the livestock or the townspeople? Does the overall feel of the place flow with the changing of the seasons? Things like that.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
Mister-Kent wrote:"Indeed it seems strikingly normal," Vodarte explains to Telkis. "In my own experience, of course, such mundane setting is where true, deep-seated darkness dwells..."
"Indeed,"nods Ingrid. "Makes you wonder: there is something soothing and reassuring and honest in an undead forest ambush..."
G A M E S :

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

As they walk from the outskirts, Telkis keeps an eye out for any small burrowing mammals he can question about recent events.
I've always wanted to write that sentence.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Late afternoon. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, threatening rain

Your company advances down a trail that divides a meadow of healthy sheep (in the center of which, Telkis spies a mole hole) from the town graveyard.

You enter the human village of Briarsgate.

Map:
You’re entering on the road at the west end of this partial map:
Abridged Briarsgate Map.jpg
Abridged Briarsgate Map.jpg (304.56 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
A Pleasant Farmhouse (1) is the first building your party encounters. Adjacent to the sheep meadow, the wooden house is well kept, with attractive gardens around and a small barn behind. A barefoot young girl is churning butter on the porch...

...but when she sees your company approaching, she runs into the house and shuts the door. Shadowy forms are visible behind closed curtains.

The Constable’s Quarters (2) is the next structure you encounter. This nondescript square stone building has heavy, closed window shutters. No people are visible, but the stout, thick door stands open.

A Long, Low Building (3), also spartan in its design, is directly behind it.

A Small Dairy Farm (4) is across from the Constables’. The house and barn are wooden buildings in need of a whitewashing. Several cows chew their cud just outside the barn. Long Bo observes that all is as it should be for a farm at harvest time.

"Ashes! Ashes! We all fall DOWN!"
"Look!"
"Where?"
"Shhhhhhh!"

Three little girls playing in the yard of the dairy barn have abruptly stopped to gawk at your group, especially at Grothnak, Hoom and Telkis.
Suddenly their mother, a careworn looking woman, rushes outside.

She hustles the little ones into the house, giving a brief, concerned glance in your direction.

The caravan track then becomes the main street of Briarsgate where merchant shops begin to line the muddy road.

A few townsfolk tentatively acknowledge you, politely nodding, or touching the brim of their hat. But most try to avert their eyes and their paths from your band of armed strangers.

Nearby are:
  • The Weaver’s Shop. (5) A sign with a spinning wheel and loom hangs outside this newer building. Bales of dry wool are stacked on the wide porch.

The Golden Grain Inn. (6) A large wooden inn decorated with carvings of wheat sheaves along the eaves of the roof. A sign picturing wheat and a pitcher of ale hangs over the door. A corral and stable are off to the side.
Pausing near the Inn (6), your party can see, further down the lane…
  • The Moneychanger (7)
    The Livery Stable (8)
    The General Mercantile (12)
    A small cottage (9)
…And that the road continues onward past a dozen or more buildings.

In the distance, you can also make out…
  • A Millhouse (26) with a water wheel on a pond.

The Village Church (21), atop a hill across the pond on the northeast side of town (beyond your map, but visible due to its altitude).
Long Bo observes no mistreatment of man or beast here.

The contrast between this quiet hamlet and the bloodsoaked unholy abominations of the nearby wood couldn't be sharper.
A chill wind blows dead leaves across the muddy ground.

Actions regarding any and all* of the above?

The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

DM Notes:
*To be clear, just because I moved the narration past a building or a molehole doesn’t mean you can’t react to it. :)

All healings to date are accounted for.
Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo towers over the passing townsfolk as the group enters the tiny hamlet. He looks to Pelias and speaks.

Perhaps you and I should take the lead with any dealings with the people of the hamlet? These folks seem scared about something but, they will certainly react better to a paladin of the realm trying to help them. Most of them should also know that, a man of nature such as myself has no ties to anything evil and must do everything in his power to keep the balance of things.

When the inquisitive druid sees the reactions from the townspeople and then the constables open door, he can't resist the temptation to get right into the thick of things.

I will see if the sheriff of this hamlet is available for questioning. He goes to the open door and peers inside to see if anyone is in.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-orc Warrior

"Let us get the lay of the village before engaging the locals," suggests Grothnak. "Perhaps a stroll around town would be informative?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

"Yes, Grothnak, that seems wise, but hold one moment, please." Delighted, Telkis trundles over to the molehole and taps rythmically around the rim to see if a mole is at home. If one answers the summons he will first ask after its health and the quality of the grubs and worms in the area. Then after the requisite formalities, he'll ask if it's noticed any unusual vibrations from the big folk lately, or any other unusual occurrences.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid regards Telkis' actions with great curiosity. She only knows one trick with animals, that is, how to use a dead toad to detect a vampire...

While the gang is still together, Ingrid says:
"We have to establish ourselves first, to avoid suspicion. What's our legend? Why are we here? Just in case they inquire? Let's say we are travelling from Hochoch to Hookhill, but got into dangerous encounters in the Dim Forest and now we need to rest a few day in this pleasant village."

Seeing that the party is about to split up, she says:
"I'm going to the inn to see if they have lodgings available... and to catch up on the local rumors. Anybody with me? Afterwards I plan to pay a visit to the church."
G A M E S :

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”