Chapter 1: The Shadow Over Briarsgate

Inferno
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The Shadow Over Briarsgate

#21 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, half-orc fighter

"I agree that it would be wise to wait until morning to cross the forest," says Grothnak. "Let us make camp here. I will take first watch."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"Aye, let us camp," says the small gray clad man as he reigns in his horse and ties him up to a tree near the camp.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Fulci »

1 sp deduced

Ingrid Esthof, cleric & monster hunter

Ingrid was a bit disappointed that they had to cut short the budding party at Alfredd's. A session of ale and pretzels is a good way to learn about the people you are about to embark on a journey with. But when danger awaits, some adventurers prefer to go to sleep early. And, seeing the Dim Forest (indeed, the intertwined tree crowns barely letting through any light), she is happy, after all, that her companions are sound & fit, and not hungover & suffering.

Well, she will have plenty of time for small talk while on the road or next to the campfire.

"Indeed, this is our best option!"

Ingrid ties out her horse and checks if the grass or small ground plants are o'kay to graze. If she has doubts, she asks Vodarte or Bo for a second opinion. Back in Hochoch she bought some grain, just in case the lands around Briarsgate turn out to be tainted (2 sp deduced); but so far it seems that Dim Forest is just your regular creepy scenery.

She volunteers to take second watch.

When they set up camp, Ingrid sits next to the campfire and heats some of her food.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

"Mmm," says Telkis in agreement. Normally talkative, he finds scampering to keep up with the tall folk more than a little draining. Never one to shy from a little nighttime danger in a dark wood, he is nonetheless relieved to get off his feet.

After he's had a little time to recuperate, he sidles up to the Druid. "Am I right that you're getting inside that bird's head and seein things that lead you to conclude that the wood is dangerous? Hope I'm not being too presumptuous, but I take an interest in little creatures - not that I ever had any luck talking to a bird. Don't understand em. Mostly what I'm wondering is, what's it like in there? I do enjoy chatting with a ground squirrel or the like now and again - goofy little fellas, those ones."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo, Druid

Bo answers the gnome in his usual deep, booming voice.

Why yes, little fella. In a manner of speaking, I guess your assumption is correct. Sephus here is my friend, as are all of natures creatures. This particular crow seemed highly intelligent to me initially, so I have taught him a few tricks. He has excellent sight so, I use him primarily for scouting out areas that us groundlings cant see.

And I would agree with you about squirrels. They can be very unpredictable and act mighty peculiar at times. They sure can be fun to observe though.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Mister-Kent »

The further the group gets from town, the better Vodarte feels--until the forboding dark sets in, of course. Before turning in for the night, he sits down next to the druid and the gnome. He bears a large red hawk on his arm. The hawk regards Bo's crow curiously, but makes no sound.

"A fine bird you have there. The only animal I've ever become attached to out in the wilds is my Milah here," Vodarte explains with a nod. "I had a horse once, a beautiful steed," he says morosely. "I sold poor Cyril for better armor. He went to a good family, though. I wonder what he's doing now..."

Camping outside always brings out a certain melancholy in Vodarte, punctuated by the occasional violent paranoia that comes with professional beast slaying.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser

After making conversation with his travel mates, Mouser offers to take a middle-watch with another fighter type. He says good night and climbs up a well-branched tree about 20', ropes his forearm for safety, and settles in to sleep.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

"I'll watch with ye. Gotta catch some winks first. I'm beat. Legs feel like they were made of noodle." says Telkis in reply to the Mouser. He ties up his mule, Tobits, and spreads his bedroll under the same tree the Mouser climbed up.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Inferno »

DM:
OGRE MAGE wrote:Bo, Druid
When the group reaches the forest, Bo lets Sephus out of his hood and the crow flies up above the treetops. Bo takes in a deep breath and closes his eyes for a while.
After circling the woods, Sephus lit upon Long Bo’s shoulder, flapped his ebon wings and cawed. The druid cast a magic spell so that he could understand the black crow perfectly.

Sephus looked Bo in the eye and said, “It’s quiet... Too quiet. The mist impedes my vision but there isn’t a sound coming from that place... I wouldn’t go in there if I were you.”

Last edited by Inferno on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo, druid

The tall man looks upset at the birds cawing. He furrows his grey brow and calls out to Vodarte.

Hmmmmm. I can't believe I've only just now noticed your majestic avian friend. Is he able to speak? Do you think he would have any better luck investigating this strange wood? Sephus here can't see a darn thing through this thick mist.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, half-orc warrior

Grothnak stands alert, his eyes on the forest and his hand on his halberd, as he listens to the crow and druid caw at each other. He doesn't understand any of it, but he doesn't need to.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Inferno »

DM:

The story continues in Chapter 2: The Haunted Wood.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun