Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 16: Escape From Hell

#1 Post by Inferno »

Chapter 16: Escape From Hell

At the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. After Nightfall. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Clear, cold, damp

In the eerie, sudden quiet of the quake-shattered swamp, the grateful survivors weep and pray amid the devastating aftermath of destruction.

The grievous wounds of Telkis and Urdur are bound, saving their lives. A makeshift raft is fashioned from the flotsam of fallen trees to float their unconscious bodies, and the child Sarah, atop the black, three foot deep water.

Bo the grey druid marks this hallowed ground of the valorous fallen.

Resolute, the stalwart heroes realize they must return to Briarsgate to confirm that the sinister reign of horror has truly ended. Their path takes them back to the site of the Hell Mouth. There they find no trace of their fallen friends or the unspeakable evil that festered here.

They set out on the journey back, wading through the icy waters of the swamp.

They walk all night with torch and lanterns, using the stars as their guide.

With every step, they feel less nauseous, and Brevos, Hoom, Mouser and Ingrid eventually recover their strength.
(But not the permanent 2 points of Strength or Con that Hoom and Mouser lost from reading the heinous tome.)

Suddenly, Bo is targeted by a black shape!

A pitch shadow lands on his gangly shoulder in a flutter of ebon feathers.

Sephus has returned. "Caw!"

After hours more of arduous toil, they reach dry land.

They know that at least another day of walking lies ahead before they reach Briarsgate village. They are sleepless, exhausted, enervated and weary, and have children and the injured among their number that must now be carried.

A grey light takes root in the eastern sky...

...and with it, something they have not heard in days. The song of birds.

Actions? (Rest here? Continue on? Other?)

Map:

White X marks the heroes' current location. White trail is the heroes' path from Briarsgate.
Red trail is the cultist map's path. Red X is the Hell Mouth's former location.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 13/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 5/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 13/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl and 1/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 9/12, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/2 3rd lvl
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: -4/26
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP -5/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 16: Escape From Hell

#2 Post by wolfpack »

Maybe we should rest for the night and let our bodies heal.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis lies limply, unconscious, his face relaxed for the first time in days, as if he can sense the lessening of a great evil. If you had to guess, you'd probably say he's dreaming of mice.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser sits to himself and doesn't say much.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo is thrilled to see his old friend Sephus again, certain he had become just another of the many victims of the terror that ruled these wastelands.

"Hello there little friend! I am ever so glad to see you again!"

Not wanting to celebrate too much, considering the latest circumstances, he lets the crow flit to the end of his finger, so the children can pet his feathers if they wish. Even after a short rest, the aging human is still deathly tired. His old bones ache from the rigors he has endured over the last few weeks. Once everyone has had a chance to catch their breath, he speaks to the group again.

"We are already spent, and I don't see how resting out here will help our cause that much. I would prefer to continue on until we arrive in town. Then we can see if our turmoil and loss was justified or not. But I understand if you would like to stop here, so I will go along with the consensus of the group."

He looks to the 3 townsfolk and the merchant. "What do you folks say? Can you continue on for another half day or so? The sooner we arrive, the sooner you can find out what has transpired with your loved ones."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom sits down next to Mouser. "The sooner we get out here the better. But the children don't have the same stamina as the rest of us. Perhaps we could rest here for a spell (an hour or so) to regain our strength and then press on."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur too lies unconscious. Unlike Telkis, he does not appear at peace. Perhaps the horrors he has witnessed have invaded his dreams....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

At the Borderlands of the Dim Forest and the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eleven. Dawn. Wednesday, October 26th, 576 CY
Clear, chilly

The weary survivors of the unspeakable events of the Hell Mouth rest on dry land after their grueling journey through the night.

Ingrid Esthof, angel of mercy, administers Urdur's healing potion to Urdur and Telkis and both gnomes awaken from their terrible nightmares and return to the land of the living.

Rather than heal further and recover their strength, the heroes press on after only an hour. Carrying little Sarah, they walk all day in the strange hinterland between the Dim Forest and the Rushmoors.

Near sunset, they reach the edge of Briarsgate village.

In a small grove they spy a girl standing alone.

She sees them coming and turns toward the village and shouts with all her might.

"THEY'RE HERE! THEY'RE HEEEEEEEEERE!!!"

Shouting, villagers burst forth from homes and shops and farms.

They descend upon the exhausted heroes.

And embrace them with wholehearted warmth and undying gratitude.

Farmers, constables, families, merchants, hermit and mayor, all turn out to greet the heroes with heartfelt thanks and appreciation.

Every eye is filled with tears.

The Gade family is joyously reunited.

"I thought you were dead," Killian Gade weeps.
"I was, says Felicity. "Were it not for these brave heroes, and those that selflessly gave of their lives to save us all."
Killian turns to the heroes. "Kind sirs and madam, we are forever in your debt."

Telkis and Urdur see field mice hiding at the periphery of this bittersweet gathering. "Three cheers for Telkis! A true gnome among gnomes is he! Hip! Hip! Hooray!"

Mayor Zacharias Ormond wipes his eyes, removes his hat and solemnly says, "Our grief is great and our loss cannot be mended. But our gratitude is sincere and profound. What we owe you is beyond measure. We shall never forget what you have done for us. Thank you, noble saviors of Briarsgate."

Responses?

PC Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 5/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 13/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl and 0/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 9/12, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/2 3rd lvl
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 1/26
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 2/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo flashes back to the horrors he'd seen before the group even ventured into the marsh. When the big mouthed girl starts shouting, he almost rushes up to stab her with his spear.

Luckily, he doesn't.

Once the group gathers round, he seeks out the Constable's, Magistrate, and other leaders first.

"What do you have to say for yourselves now, gentlemen? You seem to be singing a new tune regarding us since our last visit. Do you all have any idea what kind of pain and anguish you have caused the good people of these lands with your former actions? Do you know how many senseless deaths of goodly people were caused at your own hands?"

He tries to calm himself, but the horrors he has experienced won't allow him to enjoy any such celebrations until he has some answers first.

"Still plannng on caging all of us up and throwing us into your fun little dungeons again?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ChubbyPixie »

”I don’t believe I would have trusted us, either, under the circumstances, Bo...” says Telkis. Hardly able to believe he is still alive, Telkis smiles his broad metal smile. At the cheers from the mice, his mood improves even further. ”Let’s not forget the part the mice have played,” he says, and promptly lies down amongst them to relate an expurgated version of events and to commiserate on their loss. ”Grain for everyone tonight!” he exclaims in Mousish.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Come Grey, I've waited enough. Lets head to the farmhouse so you can show me where you hid my belongings."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

We did what needed to be done, but please, I am not a hero. The true heroes are all those who gave their lives in the fight against the cultists.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser still remains silent and stares a little vacantly at Hoom's request. He slowly nods. How does that night in the farmhouse seem so far away now? He glances back towards the way they came.... struggling to release the memory of the clawing darkness before moving on...

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur is visibly shaken when he comes out of his coma. "...why...." he says, in barely a whisper. " ... why ... did you ... bring me ... back.... The horror!..."

After a few moments, he regains his composure.

When the villagers find them, Urdur goes right to the mice. He tells them of the group's deeds, emphasizing Telkis' bravery. He leaves out the bit about the gnome-stack idea.

Does Urdur recover his 4 points of Strength?
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by wolfpack »

Feeling out of place around common folk Brevos pulls his hood over his head and keeps his eyes down, fully conscious of his half breed heritage he blends into the crowd trying to stay out of the spotlight, just looking and listening.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ChubbyPixie »

”Ingrid is right,” says Telkis, standing from his discussion with the gathered mice and becoming suddenly serious. ”Not all of us made it. Were it not for the selflessness of Grothnak and Pelias and their sense of duty, perhaps none of us would have escaped that hell-hole. Pip died helping your fellow villagers climb to safety. A shrine should be erected in their honor.”

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Inferno »

The Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eleven. Nightfall. Wednesday, October 26th, 576 CY
Clear, chilly

The sun sets and darkness blossoms across the village of Briarsgate as Felicity Gade tells everyone of the brave acts performed by the heroes at the Hell Mouth.

Uncomfortable in 'civilization,' Brevos tries his best to blend into the growing shadows. Hoom and Mouser set out to the abandoned farmhouse of the hanged family where they will recover Hoom's cached belongings.

Long Bo seeks out the Constable and the Magistrate. "What do you have to say for yourselves now, gentlemen? You seem to be singing a new tune regarding us since our last visit. Do you all have any idea what kind of pain and anguish you have caused the good people of these lands with your former actions? Do you know how many senseless deaths of goodly people were caused at your own hands?"

Broken men, the magistrate and the chief constable hang their heads.

The strange old hermit pushes his way between them and Bo, and barks at the druid, "Have you forgotten the power of the Cult to enslave men's minds?!"

Killian Gade adds gently, "Aye. They bent me to their will. Somehow Felicity resisted. But not me. I was sent back to the village. I was with them. I had become one of them. Then, thank Merrika, and all of you, last night, the spell was broken."

The survivors of the Hell Mouth know that last night the earth swallowed up the unspeakable abomination, pulling it back down into the abyss.

Then Magistrate Grover Ruskadel...

...former inquisitor of Hookhill, says wanly, a man with his strength taken from him, "Tis true. For months, I was their unwilling thrall. Watching myself commit vile crimes on their behalf, powerless to stop. A living hell. A waking nightmare without end."

Chief Constable Donavan Allard...

...honored veteran of the Goblin Years, says grimly, eyes red, voice cracked, "It was only your actions that saved us, letting us escape from Hell. The wicked spell was broken in the night. Mercifully, the horrific memories of my ignoble actions are a blur, as if from some terrible dream. But the guilt for what I have done will follow me to my grave."

One of the villagers, an older woman, says, "I know ye were not in ye right mind, Donavan Allard. But for what happened to my Verity, I don't know if I have it in my heart to ever forgive ye."

Other villagers sadly concur with that sentiment.

"The Cult's puppets were freed last night," croaks the hermit. "Today, we began putting the pieces together. Near as we can tell, the cult had infiltrated the public houses first; the Foaming Mug Inn and the Golden Grain Inn. Then the constabulary, then the church. In one year's time, they had turned half the village to their evil bidding."

"They would have taken the whole village, and then who knows what, if it weren't for all of you," says the mayor.

Ingrid and Telkis humbly remind everyone of the sacrifices of those who lost their lives against that unspeakable evil; those from the village, and those outsiders who died helping strangers: Elden Vodarte, Moogeye Comcra, Avril Hollysword, Pip of Hochoch, Grothnak Uthglukh, and Pelias Blanchflower.

In time, Telkis and Urdur slip away to regale the entire tale of terror to the mice of Jenkins' colony.

With rapt attention, the mice listen on the edges of their seats to the dreadful ghost story: "Well, it all started in a traveler's tavern in Hochoch..."

The End?

PC Status:
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 13/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl and 0/4 2nd lvl
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 1/26
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 1/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Our chilling tale of terror begins a new story in... Chapter 17: The Thing in the Woods
DM:

Player: