Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

"The Oerth is changing. This is not how Greyhawk is supposed to be..." Mouser and Urdur read from one of the heinous tomes of forbidden secrets they found in the lair of the Wolf Pack to the Dark Mother.

Then it is time to break camp and move on. In the Flanaess, the cold death of winter grips the land. Time is short if they are to beat the snows.

The survivors of the unspeakable events at Vicar's Head...

Grey Mouser, wily thief who dabbles recklessly in sorcery
Ingrid Esthof, valiant priestess and monster hunter
Jerome, white-haired young paladin
Long Bo, mysterious grey druid of the Shalm
Telkis Brassfang, gnome warrior trained by dwarves
Urdur Shimmerstone, gnomish conjurer of falsehoods

...have pressed on from the Ashblood Colony...

...for sadly, their dreadful work is not yet complete. They set out to investigate the final loose end connected to the Horror at Briarsgate: a deed for an inn in Hookhill, found in the possession of the cultist Bertram Beswill. Ingrid also comes to Hookhill to seek absolution for her sins, at the Holy Church of Trithereon. On their travels, Jerome has acquired a horse that wandered into their camp one night.

Crossing Gran March, they know that this bleak land is superstitious and fearful.

Sorcery is seen as black magic, and its users are burned as witches.

On the road to Hookhill, they befriend an unlikely pair seeking adventure:

Ajax, fearsome half-orc warrior
Fadon, dark, lean human rogue

The two cannot help but note the doom-haunted countenance of the six travelers.

Days later, an ugly fog of smoke squats on the western horizon. The repulsive stench of humanity, many thousands strong, is carried on the wind from its direction. Their final destination draws near: Hookhill, the great capital city of Empire!

Actions?! (...and welcome. Please also use your introductory post to acquaint the other players with your character. Thanks!)

Map:
PCs are in the hex east of Hookhill.

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The tall, grey robed Long Bo looks out over the smoke in the distance with a disgusted look on his long, dirty, grey-bearded face. The mysterious grey druid of the Shalm has spent the last few days thinking about everything that's happened to the group since they started out. He fondly thinks back on some of the friends they've already lost to the evils of this land, and some others not quite so fondly.

After spending some time talking things over with Jerome's new horse, Bo asks the animal where it came from and if it knows anything about the surrounding area, specifically the smoke.

He mumbles to himself as the party decides their next move. "Well, this place looks like another burning crap house of fun. The only thing I hate more than a sprawling city filled with mindless thralls, is one that is also shrouded in the stinking smoke of burning garbage."

The newcomers may note that the druid, much like most of the group, has likely seen better days.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser

Better days, indeed. Days that where once filled with joy and hope. Days where the rising of the sun was looked upon as new opportunity. These days the sunrise is just a reminder of the continuing nightmare that never ends.

He glances out over the desolation and stench before him. It is a mirror for the desolation and ichor of his soul - corrupted by fell writings in ancient tomes better left unfound. The vacant stare taking in the landscape is flecked with fleeting remembrances of noble deeds and unholy wrongs set right. They are fleeting memories. Blood and pain. Twisted horror and wicked transformations. That is what lingers. Guttural voices that yet reverberate through his soul....

He glances at the new comers and looks them over a bit sadly. What cruel twist of fate has led them here....

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis is cordial with the newcomers, but could not be said to be friendly. Not yet, anyway. It seemed like only yesterday that the tiny warrior himself joined this group, tried to befriend and was rebuffed by another half-orc who was now buried under a hundred tons of mud.

What a different time that was. Among the Brassfang dwarves he trained with he was known for his sense of humor - a scarce resource in a dwarven clan. But where was that humor now? He'd seen too much.

The dwarves respected him for his ability to hold his own in battle. Impressive for a gnome, they said. He realized now that he had outpaced all but a few of them in skill, but at what price? They fought goblins, sometimes orcs. He fought... well, he didn't like to think about what he fought. He just knew there was more of it out there than he'd imagined, and that fighting it didn't feel heroic at all.

He looks in the direction of Ajax and Fadon and grimaces to himself, showing the metal teeth that are the namesake of his adopted clan. How long would these ones last? he thought.

"Looks like a real shit-hole," he says out loud turning his gaze back to the approaching town.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by jemmus »

Faron
A thin and rather tall human male, with coppery skin, long black hair, and short black beard. He's somewhat handsome. He wears black leather armor, a matching leather skullcap, and an indigo hooded cloak. A dagger, a rather fine looking long sword, and a folded sack hang from his belt. There's a mischievous look in his eye and he smiles easily.

Faron looks the depressed adventurers over. Not much cheer among them at all. Well met, friends and fellow travelers. Faron, at your service. He bows a little. Then, to Jerome's horse, says Friend, why the long face? He smiles to everyone. Sorry all, a poor attempt at a joke. It's a bad habit of mine, I'm afraid. He smiles to everyone again.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome is a youngish man with prematurely white hair- going thin at the top. His eyes are haunted, and his gear is much-battered.
He seems to spend a lot of time talking with his horse, who neighs, whinnys, and stamps in response. He drinks a lot of cheap wine- he'd drink more if he weren't obviously trying to make it last.

When the horse first arrived in camp, it was dirty, ungroomed, and had burrs and twigs tangled in its mane and tail. Jerome spends a lot of time grooming the animal, rubbing it with fistfuls of dried grass to brush it clean, and picking burrs. He calls it Ayanga, and says that the horse told him what its name is- and that the name means 'Rolling Thunder."

When Faron makes his joke, Jerome smiles. He says you're a decent person. Well met.
Ayanga.jpg
Ayanga.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The half-orc is sullen-eyed and square-jawed. His shaggy hair is long and black; it falls to powerful shoulders and a broad back. A heavy two-handed sword speaks with more emphasis than any bellowed threat.

A sharp-tipped helm of black iron hangs from his belt, boasting a pair of curved horns. He strides in silence, only the muted clank of blackened iron, rough from the forge, to mark his passing. Ajax is a creature in stasis...waiting for the savage thrill of combat to enliven him once more.
Image (18).jpg
Image (18).jpg (496.84 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Faron (when in action)
PCs

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur tries to make the best of the trip, telling the newcomers tales of bravery of his beloved dog, Mittens. He hopes that Hookhill has a hound master, although the little gnome has no funds to acquire another hound. One thing at a time, he thinks to himself with a sigh.

When the group arrives at the city, Urdur begins looking for the inn referenced in the deed. He holds out what he knows to be a foolish hope that searching for it will not end in death and ruin.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The young cleric greets the newcomers with a weary smile, the lines on her face evidence that she has seen far too much in her short life- things nobody should see. An observant person might note that her hand seems to find its way to the Holy symbol around her neck far more often than one might expect- almost as if she is unconsciously and obsessively assuring herself that it is still there. Well met. It is always nice to meet new folk walking the same path for a time. She looks at Ajax for a moment, then seems to be looking at some memory of a happier time, perhaps. I- we- once knew one of your kind. He... He gave his life so that we could live. I miss him. Terribly, at times. And others- far too many others- who have traveled with us who are gone now. She smiles sadly, remembering fallen companions, before continuing. Far too many...

Pulling herself from her maudlin reverie, she looks at the city in the distance. I have things I need to do, to atone for. I do not know what path I will walk from here on out, but if this is the last time we see each other, it has been an honor accompanying each of you through our ordeals. If I am able, and you wish me back, she says, looking squarely at Jerome, I will travel with you to the ends of the world, and beyond if necessary. For now, however, this is where we part company. As the party nears the city, Ingrid will leave the others in search of the Holy Temple of Tritherion.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Late Afternoon. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

And so the doomed heroes have come to Hookhill, unaware of the fate that awaits them.

The capital of Gran March is its largest city'; decaying, corrupt, oppressive, old. Grown too big for its walls, it has become a reeking, squalid sprawl.

In a ditch alongside the crowded road to the city, a stream of effluent crawls. The stench of sweat and shit and urine festers. An unmoving haze of grey smoke looms above like a funeral shroud.

They approach Hookhill's great wall, whose ramparts are adorned with ghastly decorations.

Beneath these crow-ravaged faces, the city's eastern gate is thick with caravans and travelers whose property is examined by armored men. After an hour in the trudging throng of pilgrims, merchants, peasants and peddlers, the gloom of dusk overtakes the land, and the heroes reach the gate at last. Its guards bark:

"By order of The King! All who enter here must pay a toll of ten gold coins, else a tithe upon their possessions!"

Actions?!

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

Though he hardly knows her, Faron is saddened by Ingrid's speech and departure from the group. They must have all gone through a lot together for her make such a speech.

Faron's purse is a little light at the moment. He says to the guards at the city gate, In many cities, the custom is that travelers can offer a joke, a smoke, or a funny little dance in lieu of paying a toll. I'd like to offer one of those, of your choice. I can assure you that any of them will be of good quality. Except possibly the funny little dance. He doesn't have much hope that the guards of this grim town will accept. He does hope that they'll just refuse, rather than splitting him like a melon.
PCs

Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

As the cleric approaches the gate, she is dismayed to hear the hefty fee required to enter the city. Opening her purse, she shows the meager coinage she has accumulated. I am quite short of the entry fee. I'm a poor cleric, making a pilgrimage to the temple of Tritherion. I...I did not realize there would be an entry fee. She sighs, resigned to the very real possibility she may not gain entrance. Please, what is meant by a tithe upon our possessions?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The grim warrior eyes the guard for a moment, his gaze smoldering crimson, before reaching for the pouch at his belt. He counts out ten gold coins, takes Ingrid's hand, and places the small stack in her palm.

For a brief moment, Ajax notes the contrast of her smooth human flesh with his mottled orc's hide. And though his savage face remains impassive, a wave of revulsion ripples through the scarred warrior and he drops his hand.

"Remember me as you do my kinsman."

Ajax turns to Faron and dispenses another ten, then counts ten for himself.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wearing a neutral expression, Telkis pays the ten coins while mentally knee-capping the guards with Cranach. There's little he hates more than banditry parading as law, yet he feels certain that in the contest of the party versus The Entire Town, they will lose, regardless of what they've faced successfully before.

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric accepts the coins with a look of wonder at the kindness shown her by their new companion. I promi- No, I will not promise to pay you back, as our paths before us may not be the same, but I will nevertheless do what I can to repay you, or help others in kind. I have not known many of your kin, but those I have known show that the image many of us have of you is flawed. Thank you.

Ingrid will make sure everyone else is able to pay the toll before turning over the coins to the guards. After a quick goodbye to the others, Ingrid will then make her way to the Temple of Tritherion.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome's face is set in a half-scowl, clearly unhappy. It's not clear whether his annoyance is the city, the stench, the people, or something unknown.

Jerome makes a show of checking his pouches and his pack. I am a Paladin of the Order of ST Cuthbert. We have taken vows of poverty- and I am currently penniless. Is there some task that I can perform to earn my way into the city?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks around carefully at all the pleasant sights and smells of the disgusting city.

"We spell casters will be about as welcome here as a fresh wintergreen sprig."

The druid counts out ten of his thirty pieces of gold, trying to remember the last time he needed to use coin.

"10 gold to enter this dump? Too bad our chosen profession wasn't a bit more lucrative for us. With these costs, my purse will be empty before sunset."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser also hesitantly parts with the gold. He does ask the guard, "Tell me, is there a place you recommend I could work to earn this back?"

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by jemmus »

Faron accepts Ajax's gift of 10 gold. Thanks, friend Ajax. I won't forget it. Then he hands the coins back to him. I have enough to pay, I just don't like city police. Much less giving them my gold. But as I said, I won't forget it, Ajax. He digs 10 gold pieces out and hands them over. Are you happy now? he says to the guards and follows the others.
PCs

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”