A Dark and Terrible World (maps and game locations)

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A Dark and Terrible World (maps and game locations)

#1 Post by Inferno »

Last edited by Inferno on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 47 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: A Dark and Terrible World (game locations)

#2 Post by Inferno »

The world is a horror fantasy version of Greyhawk.

The young nations of The Flanaess emerged 600 years ago.

flanaess.jpg
flanaess.jpg (136.24 KiB) Viewed 8454 times

The Flanaess rose out of the collapse of the Cynidicean Empire from decadence and decay. This catastrophic fall triggered a cultural, intellectual and economic deterioration, resulting in the Dark Ages of the present day.
It is the year 576 CY, the current state of affairs in the Flanaess is uncertain and tense. Humankind is fragmented into isolated realms, indifferent nations, and evil lands.

Source Material:
The Dark Ages
World of Greyhawk by Gary Gygax and TSR
The Young Kingdoms of Michael Moorcock
The Dreamlands of H.P. Lovecraft
Middle Earth of J.R.R. Tolkien

The Flanaess is the eastern part of the continent of Oerik, one of four known continents on Oerth.

The characters will begin in the borderlands near Gran March, Bissel, Geoff and Keoland.
Gran March.jpg
Gran March.jpg (364.69 KiB) Viewed 9102 times

Gran March is located in the western-central portion of the Flanaess.
It is bordered by Bissel to the north, the Lortmil Mountains to the north and northeast, the Lort River to the east, Sheldomar River and the Rushmoors to the south, and the Realstream River to the west.

Her most populous towns are Hookhill and Shiboleth.

The vast majority of the population of Gran March (almost 80%) is human. Elves are the next largest group (8%), followed by dwarves (5%), halflings (3%), and gnomes (2%); a mix of half-elves and half-orcs makes up the remainder of the population.

The most popular deities among Gran March's citizens are Heironeous, St. Cuthbert, Pholtus, Fharlanghn, Zilchus, Merikka, Phyton, and Obad-Hai.

Gran March is a feudal monarchy ruled by His Most Resolute Magnitude, Magnus Vrianian. The capital is Hookhill.

The Grand Duchy of Geoff lies in the western Sheldomar Valley region of the Flanaess. The nation is bordered by the Crystalmists to the west, the Barrier Peaks to the north, the Stark Mounds to the south, and the Javan River to the east. Its closest neighbors are the Valley of the Mage to the north, Gran March to the east, and Sterich to the south. Geoff encompasses the entire Hornwood, most of the Oytwood, and the western portion of the Dim Forest.

Due to its isolated position, Geoff experiences some unusual weather. Morning fog is quite common near the Dim Forest, contributing to northeastern Geoff's reputation for secrecy and hauntings. Rain is plentiful, with short, violent thunderstorms. Geoff experiences significant snowfall in winter, especially in the mountains and western regions.

The population of Geoff is mostly human. Elves, halflings, dwarves, and gnomes make up less than 20% of the total population. The land also includes vast numbers of uncounted orcs, goblins, giants, and other fell creatures.

The most popular deities in Geoff are Pelor, Allitur, Obad-Hai, Beory, Ehlonna, Phyton, Fharlanghn, Saint Cuthbert, and Norebo. The Seldarine and gnomish pantheon also have strong followings.

The Duchy of Geoff is a feudal monarchy ruled by Grand Duke Owen I. The national capital is Gorna.
Last edited by Inferno on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 am, edited 14 times in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: A Dark and Terrible World (game locations)

#3 Post by Inferno »

Hochoch is a rigid, pleasant, dull human city situated between the Grand Duchy of Geoff and the Gran March on the Realstream River. While it has a feudal Lord, Garr II, it is ruled in actuality by a council of fat, prosperous merchants who finance a large and onerous town guard to maintain strict order. Respectable, regulated and sleepy, with a curfew in effect every night, and no foreign quarter, there is no excitement to be had in Hochoch.
City of Hochoch.jpg
City of Hochoch.jpg (633.12 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: A Dark and Terrible World (maps and game locations)

#4 Post by Inferno »

Hookhill:
The capital of Gran March is its largest city'; decaying, corrupt, oppressive, old. Grown too big for its walls, it has become a reeking, squalid sprawl.

Last edited by Inferno on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Inferno »

The Dim Forest is an unearthly region of permanent twilight where little sunlight can pierce the mist and the bramble tangle of leafless branches above. There is an eerie hush here. The sounds of birds and squirrels are missing. Here there be heinous Goblin Men, vicious wolves, and other fell creatures.
Dim Forest.jpg
Dim Forest.jpg (146.11 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
Dim Forest.jpg
Dim Forest.jpg (653.46 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
Haunted Wood 6.jpg
Haunted Wood 6.jpg (497.18 KiB) Viewed 9039 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Inferno »

The Village of Briarsgate:
    • "Good sirs, please believe me when I tell you we are trapped in an unseen web of secrets. We live in terror, forsaken and forgotten. Briarsgate is dying. Once thriving and full of hope, our village has become a maze of locked doors and frightened faces! Strangers are shunned. Trade has withered. Rumours flourish, growing wilder with each retelling. Our friends, terrified, flee their homes, abandoning their farms and the lives they've built here. Others... simply disappear. No one seems to know the cause of it all. There are no explanations for us." -Felicity and Killian Gade
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg (801.23 KiB) Viewed 8870 times
Key to Briarsgate:
1. The Pleasant Farmhouse of Hewitt Twaine* and his family is well kept, with attractive gardens around and a small barn behind.
      • West of 1. Hewitt's Sheep Meadow where lives Thompkins the mole.
2. The Constables' Quarters is a nondescript, square, stone building with a heavy door and window shutters. Within might be found Magistrate Grover Ruskadel,* Chief Constable Donavan Allard,* and Constable Hulbar Onfre.*
    • "While heavy handed, they've kept the Goblin Men at bay for many years now." -Bertram Beswill
      “All stern men and resolute. We know not their involvement in the troubles of Briarsgate. Magistrate Grover Ruskadel has been with us for several years. It's rumoured he was an Inquisitor and a Witchhunter in Hookhill, for the Church of Heironeus, and was forced to leave there due to some sort of politics. Chief Constable Donavan Allard is a hero from the Goblin years, a dangerous, fell-handed warrior. Briarsgate owes him much. Constable Hulbar Onfre has only been in Briarsgate for a few months." -Felicity and Killian Gade
3. A Long, Low Building, spartan in its design, is directly behind the Constables' Quarters.

4. A Small Dairy Farm of wooden buildings in need of whitewashing is where three little girls were playing 'Ring Around the Rosie.'
      • West of 4. The Village Graveyard.
5. The Weaver’s Shop is a newer building with a sign of a spinning wheel and loom. Bales of dry wool are stacked on the wide porch.
    • "The Weavers in town... They’ve told similar stories, of strange happenings near them..." -Felicity and Killian Gade
6. The Golden Grain Inn is a large wooden building decorated with carvings of wheat sheaves along the eaves of the roof, and a sign picturing grain and a pitcher of ale. A corral and stable are off to the side. Its innkeeper was Bertram Beswill* slain by Pelias at the battle at the Golden Grain Inn.
    • "...outsiders should avoid it at peril of their lives!" -Felicity and Killian Gade

"...But if I can help Briarsgate, and my soul, by aiding you, I will. I'll risk trusting you that far... I won't betray the names of the innocent. I'll only tell of the evil that has infected Briarsgate like an insidious cancer. That evil took root a year ago, at the Foaming Mug Inn. I stupidly thought it had been stopped there. Stupid, foolish old man. It reappeared at the Golden Grain Inn. Then it spread... to the Holy Church of beloved Merikka. Now that I've revealed my hand, are you with them?! If you are, know that I am your enemy. I know you are real and I stand against you!" -the Strange Old Hermit
  • Golden Grain Inn.jpg
    Golden Grain Inn.jpg (183.23 KiB) Viewed 8624 times
7. The Moneychanger and Jeweler has his name painted on the sign over the door: "F. A. Praetorius,* proprietor.” The small stone building is currently shut tight by doors and shutters of heavy wood, reinforced with iron bands.
    • “Praetorius? He’s gone! Without a word! One day his shoppe was shut up. He’s left us, he has …just like the others.” - a farmer's wife
8. The Livery Stable is a broken down wooden structure with a sagging front porch. The last traces of a paint job cling to small areas of the walls but in many areas the exposed, bare wood has started to rot. A fenced walkway leads from the road to the back of the house. The rich smell of horses and manure is strong here.

9. A Small Cottage that has been freshly whitewashed. Heavy curtains hang over the windows.
    • “Why, the only other Elves there are! In that house there at the end of the road. Not exactly joiners, are they?" -a farmer's wife
10. The Mayor’s Residence, a house set well back from the road, overlooking the water. This is by far the most imposing house in the village. The wellcrafted home is also well cared for. You can see a carriage house in the back.
    • "In my heart, I trust the Mayor and the Church, thank the goddess." -Felicity Gade
11. The Tailor Shop is a small, ramshackle building in need of repair. A shutter has come off, shingles are missing and the walls show wood rot in several places.

12. The General Mercantile is a well-kept establishment with farm implements and cooking utensils displayed on its wide porch. The door stands open in daylight and a well-painted sign of a pot, plow, sack and lantern hangs above it.

13. A Rundown Farmhouse in desperate need of repair. The front door, porch steps and porch supports are missing. The barn is nearing collapse, but the chickens in the yard suggest this place is indeed inhabited. A small, sickly, unharvested crop of corn and oats are in the fields.
    • "Young Llewellen Cobb’s place. His new bride disappeared mysteriously six months ago. On their wedding night! No explanation. No funeral. No tombstone in the town graveyard. Llewellen won’t say what’s come of her." -Felicity and Killian Gade
14. The Carpenter’s Shop. A saw-shaped sign hangs before this well-constructed building. The front part of the house is partially open to the carpenter's workshop.

15. The Blacksmith. The shop is unwalled, open to the smithy's forge. Soot and smoke abound.
    • "Poor old Jakob Smith. He's been out of his right mind for… coming on almost 10 months now. It happened suddenly and without cause." -Felicity and Killian Gade
16. An Abandoned Building. The doors and windows of this large, battered and weatherbeaten building are boarded up. A sign lies face down in the weeds before the broken porch. The roof has several holes.
    • “The old Foaming Mug Inn. A dozen townsfolk were found murdered there one morning, including the proprietor. A sword fight. But no one ever discovered the reason. Those people were friends and neighbors! The building’s been abandoned ever since. A year now, I reckon.” -Felicity and Killian Gade

"...But if I can help Briarsgate, and my soul, by aiding you, I will. I'll risk trusting you that far... I won't betray the names of the innocent. I'll only tell of the evil that has infected Briarsgate like an insidious cancer. That evil took root a year ago, at the Foaming Mug Inn. I stupidly thought it had been stopped there. Stupid, foolish old man. It reappeared at the Golden Grain Inn. Then it spread... to the Holy Church of beloved Merikka. Now that I've revealed my hand, are you with them?! If you are, know that I am your enemy. I know you are real and I stand against you!" -the Strange Old Hermit
17. A Decrepit Farmhouse and Barn. Doors and shutters swing freely here. Abandoned desolation, choked by weeds.
    • “The Book family's place. A whole family up and left without a word. They were our good friends. No warning. Just gone. This was nine months ago. Never heard from any of them since. We don't know where they went.” -Felicity and Killian Gade
18. A Farmhouse and Barn. This farm looks moderately prosperous and well-kept.
    • "The widow Hochstedt’s spread. Her husband also disappeared this year. After 24 years of marriage. She’ll not speak of it. Nor will her three grown sons who live with her." -Felicity and Killian Gade
    Hochstedt Barn.jpg
    Hochstedt Barn.jpg (240.38 KiB) Viewed 8317 times
19. A Farmhouse and Hog Farm. Home of Felicity and Killian Gade* and their two small children, all now missing.
    • "No. It’s good that you mistrust us, mister. You’re right to do so. So many strangers pass through here. Like yourselves. They think it’s safe. Because it’s a town. But it’s not. It’s not safe. Don’t trust the folk you meet. Don't trust your friends." -Killian Gade
20. A Small Cottage.
    • "That’s the cottage of the Widow Merridie, an elderly woman. She’s lived in Briarsgate for 50 years. She still does mending chores for her neighbors to earn pocket money." -Felicity and Killian Gade
21. The Village Church. A stone temple to Merikka, benevolent goddess of agriculture, fertility and the harvest, surrounded by a wall and a line of majestic elm trees.
    • "In my heart, I trust the Mayor and the Church, thank the goddess." -Felicity Gade

• Church of Merikka.jpg
      Church of Merikka.jpg (462.7 KiB) Viewed 8870 times
    22. A Rundown Farmhouse and Barn in need of upkeep. There are chickens, a vineyard out back, and a scarecrow guarding the fields.
    23. A Prosperous Farmhouse that looks solidly constructed and recently whitewashed. Several goats and an immense pig are penned near the barn, which has seen better days.
    24. An Abandoned Farm. A well built house with all its windows and doors boarded up. Behind it, the barn's door swings freely in the breeze.
        • Northwest of 24. An Abandoned Windmill, behind the barn, beyond untended fields.
          windmill.jpg
          windmill.jpg (199.88 KiB) Viewed 8870 times
    25. Inn of the Slumbering Serpent, a small, old building with a colorful sign of a contentedly sleeping dragon. Flower beds brighten the front porch.
        • South of 25. An Old Covered Bridge
          bridge.jpg
          bridge.jpg (393.89 KiB) Viewed 8870 times
    26. A Millhouse with a water wheel on a pond, around which are scattered children’s toys, tools and farm implements.

27. A Ramshackle Cottage, set back deep among a stand of tall elm trees, where dwells the Strange Old Hermit* and his Wolf.
      • "That ramshackle hut in the woods is where an old beggar has taken up residence, on the edge of town near the graveyard. He’s a strange loner and none in the village have gotten to know him. In fact, some whisper that he’s responsible for the troubles." -Felicity and Killian Gade

*NPC List for Briarsgate Village
Last edited by Inferno on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

The Golden Grain Inn (6) in Briarsgate, and its warm welcome...
Golden Grain Inn 3.jpg
Golden Grain Inn 3.jpg (421.5 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
Golden Grain Inn Cellar 3.jpg
Golden Grain Inn Cellar 3.jpg (272.46 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
...which our heroes narrowly overcome:
Golden Grain Inn Map .jpg
Golden Grain Inn Map .jpg (554.55 KiB) Viewed 8766 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

Attacked at the abandoned barn at the Book family's farm. (17)
Barn Map 2.jpg
Barn Map 2.jpg (527.09 KiB) Viewed 8722 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Inferno »

Descending beneath the Golden Grain Inn (6).
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 6.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 6.jpg (530.34 KiB) Viewed 8590 times
Each square is 5 feet.
Only the illuminated areas, that were visible to any PC this round, are shown.
Brown-darkened areas are your distant recollections.
Black-darkened areas are unlit rooms.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

The adventurers delve further...
Beneath the Inn of the Damned A.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned A.jpg (417.14 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Hoom and Mouser try their luck with another inn.
Inn of the Slumbering Serpent 4.jpg
Inn of the Slumbering Serpent 4.jpg (391.47 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Horrific encounter below the Foaming Mug Inn.
Foaming Mug Inn Cellar 2.jpg
Foaming Mug Inn Cellar 2.jpg (266.38 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
Foaming Mug Inn Cellar 6.jpg
Foaming Mug Inn Cellar 6.jpg (478.05 KiB) Viewed 8343 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Inferno »

Night at the Church of Merikka.
Map of Church of Merikka 4.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka 4.jpg (271.66 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Map of Church of Merikka 6.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka 6.jpg (299.38 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Inferno »

Map of Church of Merikka 12.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka 12.jpg (303.51 KiB) Viewed 8197 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

Map of Church of Merikka 2.2.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka 2.2.jpg (267.28 KiB) Viewed 8180 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Inferno »

Map of Church of Merikka 2.4.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka 2.4.jpg (268.6 KiB) Viewed 8169 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Church Spiral Stair 1.jpg
Church Spiral Stair 1.jpg (280.68 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Inferno »

Church Spiral Stair 2.jpg
Church Spiral Stair 2.jpg (298.31 KiB) Viewed 8155 times
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Inferno »

Map of Church of Merikka 2.7.jpg
Map of Church of Merikka 2.7.jpg (268 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
DM:

Player: