It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8818
Location: 1977
The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Early Afternoon. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image


Image

By the cold, feeble light of the distant sky, Pip and Mouser tie a length of rope around a slain veteran of Briarsgate's Goblin Years. Pip wishes to use human bait to lure the rippling ooze off its ledge.

Grothnak and Hoom are, for once, aligned. They join Brevos, happy to move away from the deadly precipice overlooking the bottomless pit of the hell mouth. Together with Bo and Urdur, they move eastward into the green-tinged muddy underground channel.

Image

The white hooded cultists were seen pouring out of the southeast spur of the mud warren. Water raining down on them from the cavern roof, the scouts cautiously tread forward through the thick, deep, muck. The cavern slopes down and widens. Its entire southern half is flooded with water whose surface is opaque and deathly still. All is quiet, for now.

Meanwhile at the cliff, Pelias silently commences with the grisly work of decapitating the dead, hooded victims of the cult.

Image

It is hard, wet labor. The paladin's arms are soon soaked in crimson to the elbow.

When Mouser sees this, he abandons Pip's plan and readies a torch. He immolates a headless, robed corpse and pushes it over the edge!



It hurtles down the shaft like a fallen star trailing a comet tail of blood and flame. The waterfall spray eventually extinguishes the fire and the cadaver disappears from sight.

After an interminable pause, a sickening wet crunch echoes up the pit.

The eerie, alien piping abruptly stops. The silence is deafening.

Suddenly, all the heroes hear an alarm sounding from somewhere deep below.

GONG! GONG! GONG!


Actions?!


Map:

One square = 10 feet. X = Dead or Unconscious. H = Held. O = Oozing horror.
Black area to the west of the PCs is the cliff into the main shaft of the hell mouth.



Cutaway View:

West is left. East is right.
PCs are near the red "X." The PC scouts are at "S." The oozing horror is at "O." The fallen, dead cultist is at "C."
The area around X and S is illuminated by glowing mushrooms and Urdur's torch. All else is from memory.



Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 23/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 29/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 21/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl, Torch

PC Magic:

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13230
Location: Packerland
The normally even keeled Long Bo rolls his eyes and shakes his head in disgust at the actions of the others.

"Well, I guess there is no more need for us tip-toeing around in here, eh? If they didn't know we were coming in, they most certainly do now. Does anyone have a drum we could bang on while we search? Just in case some terror in the deepest corner of this shit hole hasn't heard us come in yet?"

Used to working alone, Bo rushes to the north passage to have a look at where it might lead to. He listens carefully to see if he can hear anything coming in the groups direction. He will grab another handful of the glowing toadstools to light is way if necessary, moving down the passage alone for a ways if he must.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2707
Pip, not completely convinced his plan was worse than this one, thinks about what is likely below...

"Alright... do we need to get out, maybe pull the rope up with us to delay their pursuit, or are we ready to face a lot of them?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Hoom removes his short sword from its scabbard and follow quietly behind Bo. Stepping softly on the ground as he goes; using the irregularity of the walls and darkness to help mask his form.

OOC: 44% - Move Silently

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2459
Location: Oregon, WI
Ingrid Esthof

The cleric speaks quietly with Pelias. I believe your god will understand. By doing this, you assure their souls can move on, with no chance of rising again as an undead abomination. While a grisly task, I feel it is just because it prevents the spread of evil. I commend you for taking this upon yourself. Do not concern yourself with what others may think. You feel you are doing what is right, and I believe you are doing what is necessary. I do not presume to speak for your god, but I feel that Heironeus would approve of your selflessness.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2260
Looking sideways at Mouser, Telkis sighs. "Well, I guess I could have tried to stop you. Guess I was curious what would happen. Now we know," he says. He shrugs and trundles off east after the others. When he sees Bo going north he follows close behind, in case the crabby tree-hugger runs into trouble. He's careful not to get too close, though, none of them having bathed in some time.

_________________


Last edited by ChubbyPixie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias, soaked in blood, nods in appreciation at Ingrid's words. He grabs one of the bludgeoned, but living, villagers by the ropes binding them and drags him along. "Someone get the other one. We don't want them behind us!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2330
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser picks us the rope in grim silence, doing what needs doing, and follows pelias.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13980
"These people will be no safer with us," says Grothnak. "And we cannot be jailers and rescuers both. Tie them up and leave them."

Whatever the others decide, Grothnak leads the way deeper into the tunnels when all are ready.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 986
Wishing the group had time to interrogate their prisoners, Urdur reluctantly leaves the remaining cultist behind as he follows the group to the east. Torch in one hand, dagger in the other, he prepares for the worst as they head deeper into the abyss.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2330
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser quietly offers "I will tie them up and quickly follow the group.."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 4107
Brevos looks over his shoulder at the antics and snarls

well isn't that grand

he draws Brood and lets the pale light wash over him as he moves forward into the tunnel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8818
Location: 1977
The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Early Afternoon. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image




GONG! GONG! GONG! GONG!

As the forces of Hell are being marshaled against the heroes of Briarsgate, Ingrid absolves blood-drenched Pelias of his sins that he may meet his Maker forgiven at least by her.

Pelias readies to drag one of the two bound prisoners. (Movement is reduced to 6") No one will bear the burden of the other.

Long Bo plucks more shimmering fungal blossoms to illuminate his path.



The grey druid moves north, into another dank, winding channel. Telkis and Hoom follow him, the latter at a distance. The deep, slurping mud prevents the elf from walking soundlessly.

Alas, they find no escape. The tunnel shaft is a dead end. Stockpiled here are crates of food, barrels, shovels, and weapons wrapped in oilcloth to protect against the damp. The light of Bo's mushrooms fades with the hope of finding a way out.

Leaving Mouser behind to bind the last surviving enemy, Brevos, Grothnak, Ingrid, Pelias, Pip and Urdur trudge through the thick mud, following the edge of the black stagnant water deeper into the hellish underworld.

Subterranean channels wind east and north before them. But they don't get far. Distant voices of angry men echo forth from the caverns to the east.

Most of the them remember the chilling ruthlessness, organization and resolve of the Enemy's thralls at the Golden Grain Inn, the abandoned barn, and the Temple of Merikka.

Soon they'll be here in force.


Actions?!


Map:

One square = 10 feet. X = Dead or Unconscious. H = Held. O = Oozing horror.
Black area to the west of the PCs is the cliff into the main shaft of the hell mouth.



Cutaway View:

West is left. East is right.
The front ranks of the PCs are at "X." The oozing horror is at "O." The fallen, dead cultist is at "C."
The area west of X is illuminated by glowing mushrooms. All else is from memory.



Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 23/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 29/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 21/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl, Torch

PC Magic:

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2260
"Well, so much for that," says Telkis, when they come up short in the dead end. Hearing the echoing of the approaching villagers he runs over to the opening leading east behind the others. "We could ambush them at one of these choke points," he says. "I don't think we could climb out before they arrive."

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13230
Location: Packerland
Bo begins looking over the stockpiled weapons when he hears the words of Telkis.

"We need a plan as to how to handle these mindless townies. Killing every one of them is NOT the answer! I didn't come all this way to participate in some unadulterated slaughter."

The lanky druid quickly pulls ten feet of the cord or wrappings from off of the protected weapons before rushing to catch up with the gnome. He speaks to the others as he prepares his magic.

"I can cast a spell that should trip up the oncoming cultists, possibly even stunning them for a short time. If they are prone or stunned, we wont necessarily need to kill all of them."

When he gets to where Urdur is standing, (on the latest map) he shouts for the others to backtrack until they are behind the opening into the larger, drier chamber. "If you come back into this chamber, I think we will be able to handle this attack a little easier."

Once the tiny spellcaster relays his idea, the druid falls into place with the others at the wall.


Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 4107
We could stack crates to create a funnel so only a couple at a time could face us.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Hoom rifles through the crates for anything of useful or valuable. He hunts for a backpack or sack and a supply of throwing darts to replenish his stock.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2330
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser returns to the group and, after listening to the plan, agrees. "It makes sense - narrower place to defend against and it still allows us to escape up the rope as needed. I can place a few marbles on the ground as a second line of irritation should any of them make it pass your first trap. It's not much, but they can be a bastard if you aren't expecting them!" he finishes with a smirk.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 986
Posting this assuming the wall plan is the group consensus per the OOC thread. If that is not the case, Urdur goes along with whatever the consensus plan is.
"Everybody, stand flat against the wall," says Urdur to the group. "I've got an idea. It should keep us hidden as long as we all stay flat against the wall and don't move."

With that, Urdur casts Improved Phantasmal Force, creating an illusion of the wall in front of the actual wall. Once he sees that it is in place, covering his companions, he disappears behind the illusion as well.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2330
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser notices the ground is mud and scraps the marble idea. When the group is set, and he hears the rabble approach, his fingers start moving and with a pinch of the phosphorescent foliage, he whispers "Luminile de dans"

Cast Dancing Lights to distract the enemy from the fake wall and give them some torches to capture their attention....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group