It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2375
Location: Oregon, WI
Ingrid Esthof

The cleric casts a spell, causing silence to descend upon her. Signalling to the others to follow, she runs toward Pelias to protect him from the din.

Silence, 15' Radius

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 940
Urdur lights a torch and draws his dagger, hoping that no nightmarish fiends jump out of the sinkhole.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 12822
Location: Packerland
Bo shakes his head in frustration as the party again chooses multiple ideas and actions instead of acting as one solid unit. He knows that trying to debate a gameplan now would be futile in the noise of the shrieking vegetation.

He sees the fungoids as a nescience, but notices that they have no real form of attack. He feels that the shambling vegetable monsters as the real threat here, so he focuses his attention on them.

Keeping his distance from the priest's magical silence, he wonders why she didn't center it over the hole instead. He knows the heat of battle is not the best time for such discussions, so he concentrates on the oncoming monsters instead. (S1)

The druid pulls out his old faithful, watching and judging the advance and the heaps speed. He drops his magical aggressive vegetation Casts: Entangle in the center of the oncoming monsters path, trying to secure it in place where it stands, giving the group more time to react. He sincerely hopes that these creatures don't hold sway over all vegetation here and that he isn't simply wasting more time.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13351
A cleric who silences herself from casting spells, thinks Grothnak. That'll work out well.

He draws his bow and fires a couple of shots at the approaching shambles.

Long bow (THAC0 18): [1d20] = 6, Dmg [1d6] = 2
Long bow (THAC0 18): [1d20] = 7, Dmg [1d6] = 5

He looks at his bow in disgust.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:44 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1559
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Hoom holds his position in the silence, not sure what is going on. He looks around for a spell caster in the distance.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2153
Telkis, having no idea if his arrows will even have an effect on these things, instinctively reacts and fires his bow at the same creature anyway:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2498
Hoping that the plant creatures might be especially slow and stupid, Pip will leave the area engulfed in silence, and move southwest, waving his arms to try to attract the attention of the creatures. If any start to approach him, he'll try to lead them northwest, away from the group.

Ok, this might be dumb, but Pip wants to try to "kite"
one of these, if you know what I mean. If they are attracted to sound, he will be the thing rolling up the mushrooms, not the folk in the cone of silence. The others might be able to take potshots at them while Pip holds their attention, or make a run for it or something else.

Pip probably can't go toe to toe with one, but he ought to be much faster than them... right?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7845
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias drops the rock and draws sword and shield. He will stand his ground, waiting to defend himself against any attacking plantmen.



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:03 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8485
Location: 1977
The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Midday. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image


The heroes’ ears are filled with the eerie wails of screaming fungi, drowning out all other sound, preventing a coordinated attack.

Near the mouth of hell stalk impossible imitations of Men, wrought from the unhealthy flora of the accursed swamp. As one, the unnatural abominations of Nature stagger toward the heroes, each different and strange:

One is a chilling, grotesque parody of the human form. (S2)




One is alien and otherworldly with writhing, slimy tentacles of vine, tendril and stem. (S3)





The nearest thing is least human of all; a wide, formless mass of rotting vegetation (S1). It is upon Pelias before he can drop his stone and unsheath Avril’s enchanted sword. The immense, inhuman behemoth of plantlife bludgeons the paladin with log-like pseudopods that serve as fists (-18hp!). Battered and hammered, Pelias is swept up into the thing and swallowed in its reeking embrace. There, entangled by greedy roots, vines and tendrils, the paladin is held fast! He cannot act! He slowly begins to suffocate within the slime of the misshapen monstrosity!
(Pelias, please roll your Strength or lower on 1d20 to get free this round. Also, see below.)




The other two wet, lumbering horrors (S2, S3) cannot reach the heroes. Yet.

Urdur lights a torch and bares his dagger. Hoom quickly scans in all directions, perhaps looking for a way out. There is no one else in sight within these unearthly territories. Pip runs southwest into the shrieking mushroom infestation and back, waving his arms, trying to goad one into following him. The monk can’t tell what the shambling horrors are thinking, if anything.

Not wanting to endanger Pelias, the trio of Brevos, Grothnak and Telkis unshoulder bows and loose arrows upon another repulsive horror (S2). Only one of Telkis’ missiles hits, biting hard. The Mouser joins the bowmen and hurtles a sling stone between the aberrant creature’s terrible eyes! The swamp monster keeps coming.

Ingrid Esthof prays for aid and casts a holy spell of silencing upon a copper coin in her possession. (I will rule) Holding it tight, she advances 30 feet toward beleaguered Pelias, smothering inhuman screams in her vicinity.

Long Bo the druid petitions the plants themselves for aid against the plant men. Surprisingly, they answer. Shrieking toadstools grow, lengthen and twist, their unearthly songs likewise bending in pitch and tenor. The bizarre fungi entwine around Pelias' foe (S1), imprisoning the hulking, malformed bane of nature! And Pelias with it!
(Pelias please Save vs Spells. Good luck.)


Actions?! (No verbal communication is possible this round for Ingrid, Pelias and Pip. All others can shout to be heard, due to Ingrid's silence area. Brief messages only please. Thanks.)


Map:

One square = 10 feet. Lighter, circular areas are shrieking.
Darker, circular area by Ingrid is silence.
Pink area is entangling mushrooms.



Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):
Fyi: these monsters are considered ‘large’ for your damage rolls.
Initiative: Party: [1d6] = 3, Monsters: [1d6] = 4 Monsters win.
S1 attacks Pelias: [1d20] = 20, [1d20] = 17; damage: [1d8] = 5, [1d8] = 8 Yow. Both hit. One critical. 18 points total.
Brevos fumble result: [1d8] = 3 'Distracted: Add +1 to your AC for the rest of this round and all of the next'
Mouser: Sling: to hit: [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17, damage: [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Hits!
Save vs Spells: [1d20] = 7 Monster fails.


Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 23/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 3/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 18/22, Spells: 3/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 12/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 22/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, Torch

PC Magic:

PC Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7845
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias, in deep shit, STR(12) check [1d20] = 20, save vs entangle [1d20] = 17


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13351
Grothnak charges the thing holding Pelias, brandishing Vadok to cut the paladin free.

Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 18): [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13, Dmg [1d10+4] = 8+4 = 12 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 2+4 = 6 (L)

Or, perhaps, not.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 12822
Location: Packerland
Bo shouts and holds his hand up towards Pip, guessing that he isn't likely to advance any further all alone. The druid begins casting a second spell of ensnaring, this time dropping its edge right in front of where the party is currently standing, centering it in between the monk's position and the rest of the group, leaving a safe avenue for the others to get to the struggling paladin.

"IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO ADVANCE, STAY TO THE LEFT!!!"

Casts: Entangle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2498
Seeing how quickly the thing south of him is advancing, Pip backs up, trying to keep it from reaching him. He waves his quarterstaff in the air as he goes, and strokes it along the mushrooms, hoping to draw the thing's attention and get it following him north, past the party.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1559
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Hoom stands fast with his short sword in hand. Waiting for them to come to him. He continuing to looks around for more creatures or a way to escape if things go south.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 940
Not for the first time, Urdur curses his lack of martial skills. He can't help anyone by trying to stab the giant plant with his little dagger, and would likely get himself swallowed whole or killed if he tried.

But maybe he can provide a diversion. He simultaneously hopes two things: first, that undead plants have eyes, and second, that they have a primal fear of fire.

Urdur casts Dancing Lights, choosing the form of a creature from the elemental plane of fire, assuming he can cast spells with a torch and dagger in his hands.

If that works,
Urdur "summons" a fire elemental in the silenced area, advancing it towards S3 in a threatening manner.

Urdur also hopes these plant-things don't speak Orcish, which he knows all the elves, half-elves, gnomes, and half-orcs in the party can understand. In that language, he shouts amidst the din: "Don't worry, it's harmless!"

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 3473
Brevos slings his bow and draws Brood from it's scabbard. The mystic blades soft blue light surrounds him as he moves in to help Pelias.

[1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3

man rolls have been bad


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2153
Telkis, seeing Grothnak and Brevos rushing off to aid Pelias, chooses to remain with the rest of the group and try and whittle down the other approaching horror a bit more before it can reach them:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:56 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2375
Location: Oregon, WI
Ingrid Esthof

Seeing the paladin in trouble, Ingrid readies her mace as she nears the creature attacking Pelias and attempts to help him.

Mace (THAC0: 18): To Hit: [1d20] = 14, damage: small [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 / large [1d6] = 6

Inferno- I had originally intended for Ingrid to cast her silence spell on a coin, but completely neglected to include that in my post. Thank you for making that decision, although had you ruled the spell was cast as I had written it, blindingly stupid as it would have been, I would have been fine with the unintended consequences.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:47 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8485
Location: 1977
The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Midday. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image


In the warped domain of the secret puppet masters of Briarsgate, the heroes are locked in battle with evil Ents of rotting swamplife.



The strange, smooth tentacled bog monster (S3) lumbers forward to kill the invading heroes and is entangled by animated toadstools under Long Bo's command! The alien thing is trapped in a prison of twisting, screaming fungi, joining the shapeless giant that holds Pelias (S1)!

An unsettling imitation of humanity (S2) shambles toward Pip of Hochoch, who narrowly avoids it, sprinting north while using his quarterstaff to set more mushrooms to shrieking.

Pelias is overcome by the green; subsumed by the fetid monolithic monster (S1). Grasping vine nooses hold him tight. The paladin of Hookhill can no longer move, hear, see or breathe.

Telkis fires two more unerring arrows into the side of the remaining free plant demon (S2), relieved that the Brassfang clan isn't here to see his natural affinity with an elven weapon.

Mouser joins the barrage and crashes another whizzing sling stone into the monster's head! (S2) It still lives, and turns its terrible attention away from Pip toward the group.

Urdur Shimmerstone speaks magic words of power and conjures up a cunning illusion of a fire elemental out of thin air. (FE)



The dark gnome sets the fiery figment before Pip's rotting pursuer (S2), stopping the blighted thing in its slimy tracks.

The grey druid sees his chance and calls more of the strange shrieking fungi into his service to ensnare the last marsh man (S2). But this time it doesn't work. The perverted creature of nature remains free to act!

Hefting Vadok like a lumberjack's axe, Grothnak races to hack Pelias out of the trunk-like limbs that constrain him. He enters the eerie region of sonic void and soundlessly chops into the animated mass of vegetation (S1) but cannot cut Pelias loose.

Brevos brings his doom-laden sword to bear in the effort to free Pelias, to no avail.

Ingrid joins the assault with her iron mace, silently hammering a bone-shattering strike upon Pelias' captor (S1). It does not fall, nor relinquish its weakening prey.

Pelias is slowly suffocating. And one enemy (S2) remains unbound by the bizarre screeching toadstools of the accursed marsh.


Actions?! (No verbal communication is possible this round for Brevos, Grothnak, Ingrid and Pelias. All others can shout to be heard. Brief messages only please. Thanks.)


Map:

One square = 10 feet. Pip is 14" north of the map's NW edge.
Lighter, circular areas are shrieking.
Darker, circular area by Ingrid is silence.
Pink circular areas are entangling mushrooms. S1 and S3 are Entangled



Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):


Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 23/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 3/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 18/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 12/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 22/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 6/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Torch

PC Magic:

PC Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13351
Grothnak continues trying to hack Pelias free. "Hang in there!" he shouts as encouragement to the paladin, but his words are swallowed by the silence spell.

Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 18): [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14, Dmg [1d10+4] = 9+4 = 13 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 11+4 = 15 (L)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group