It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 955
The usually-taciturn Urdur shakes his head, before speaking up.

"We cannot continue on this path," he says. "There are surely more of the living dead along our path, and we have barely escaped. One of our number is, alas, no longer with us. We cannot hope even to reach the heart of this evil in our current state, let alone attempt to defeat it.

"We must turn west, to Hochoch, to reprovision ourselves. Only at our full strength can we defeat this evil. Today's events have shown us that much."


Regardless of what the group decides, before he leaves this area, Urdur checks the spot where Avril went down. If he can find her flask of oil, he'll take it.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13671
Grothnak stares darkly at the swamp. "Our task lies forward, not back," he says. "But I am forced to agree. We will never make it to our goal trudging through swamp water full of living dead."

"Maybe the vile things we saw in town could move through the muck, but what about the people whose wills were taken over? If they were brought to the source of the evil, maybe we could learn the path they took."

"Or at least find us some boats," he adds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 3794
If people in town are being controlled and taken away, could we perhaps lay in wait out side of the town and wait for agroup to be led out and follow?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:41 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7924
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
"Sephus has served us well. Let us hear what the crow finds first. We will make the best decision when we have the most information" suggests Pelias.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13003
Location: Packerland
Bo doesn't like the idea of holding a debate while standing in water filled with green slime. He follows the ranger up the trail, hoping to find a patch of higher ground nearby to regroup and discuss the next move.

"Let's keep in mind that we have time on our side right now. We cannot wait around here while word of our group reaches the lair of the snakemen. And we certainly can't go back to any town! We must press on while we still have that one advantage."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2555
Pip pipes up, "Wandering blindly through this swamp seems to be madness. Maybe we need a prisoner, or some sign to follow...? It's a pretty big swamp..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:49 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8597
Location: 1977
The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Nine. Morning. Monday, October 24th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image


Image

In the dread marsh, the archers retrieve unbroken arrows as Urdur finds Avril's oil flask. Often, a searching hand emerges from the opaque water carrying with it the hideous viridian mire as well. Boots are also inflicted with it. Torches are quickly brought to burn the ghastly ooze away.

Long Bo utters an uncanny enchantment, that he and his pet fowl may converse privately in the eerie croaking of crows. Sephus caws, "They're right. Hochoch is nice this time of year. We should leave this terrible place while we still can. Else share poor Avril's fate, and the fate of her father."

Image

After Bo's gentle admonishment, the black avian flutters in a small, high circle and returns with a quick report before the grey druid's incantation fades. "No land in sight," he caws to Bo. "Everything is quiet for as far as I can see. Just like this area was, until you set foot in it.
"Very well. I'll follow the trail to its end. Hopefully, not to my own as well. Farewell. I hope we meet again."


Bo shares Sephus' early findings with the group as the black crow soars south, the lone living animal sighted in the swamp so far.

According to the cultist's map, the heroes have a day's march before them. Sephus' journey there and back could take half that even if he doesn't stop to rest, and no harm befalls him.

The heroes debate their next course of action and reach no agreement.


Actions? Retreating? Advancing? Waiting here for Sephus? Returning to a town? Other? Thanks.


Map:
Image
Red path is cultist's trail. White X is approximate PC position.


Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 3/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 13/28, Torch
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 5/16, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 10/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, Torch
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl, Torch
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 28/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 10/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 21/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

PC Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13003
Location: Packerland
Bo spins a small white tale to get the party motivated again.

"Sephus has told me that the way is clear. We have a distinct path to follow and there are no more surprises that he can see. He says that there are a few higher, dry spots further along if we need them. He is going to fly to the end of the trail and scope out our destination. We should have more information about who is using this trail once we arrive."

"It is a full days journey through this dreaded marsh. I say we heal up as best we can and get to it right now. The sooner we get moving, the sooner we arrive. I know it is going to suck, but I don't want to be out here too long after dark, so lets get going. There is no other course of action for us to take if we are truly hear to save this land."


The druid keeps an eye on the groups actions, specifically Hoom's, as he waits to see if Ingrid will administer any healing before offering up his precious magic to any still in need.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:59 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 3794
Brevos nods at the druids words.

We continue forward but we must stop well before dark, we can't rest in the water we will need to build platforms in the trees.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2555
Pip agrees, and prepares himself for the trip "Let's get moving then. The sooner begun, the sooner done. Surely there will be dry hills to rest on along our path..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7924
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias nods. "If the course we chart is toward the trail, I fully agree. I suggest we camp at the first high dry ground we find. Then, strike at the evil fouling these moors."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2185
"You had me at 'dry spot,'" says Telkis with his head and chest poking above the water, looking generally miserable. "Let's go if we're going. Wish we'd thought to bring a boat. Never been in a marsh before..."

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 955
Urdur nods and joins his companions as they move. He hopes that they face no more of the foul undead today.

As the group marches along, Urdur does his best to dry out his torches, carrying them outside of his wet pack if he can. Hopefully after a few hours of marching, they will be dry enough to light....

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13671
"Forward it is, then," agrees Grothnak.

"If that bird is wrong, I'll have it for dinner," he adds under his breath.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:48 am 
Online
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1574
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Hoom exchanged looks with Bo. He stares at the Druid in disgust at the loss of another party member. He breaks this glare and proceeds with the group, moving up next to Mouser. Quietly he speaks to Mouser in their trade language. "Balance. How much longer 'til we become the druid's compost?"

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2411
Location: Oregon, WI
Ingrid Esthof

Still weak from the encounter with the undead, Ingrid nonetheless uses her healing magic on Brevos.



She then uses her final allotment of healing for the day on Grothnak.


_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8597
Location: 1977
The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Nine. Late Morning. Monday, October 24th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image


With reverent orisons to Trithereon, the wounded Ingrid Esthof selflessly heals Brevos and Grothnak instead of herself. (+11, +3 respectively)

Two hours slowly pass in drudgery and toil. The heroes labor through the thick mud and deep water of the unhallowed, silent bog without any sign of fauna or dry land.



Surely, Sephus must have been mistaken.

The trail of pushed back branches becomes less evident with every step. Gnarled black trees writhe and twist as if warped by some unseen force.

The sickly sunlight, almost directly overhead and diffused by the oppressive mist, is unable to help them determine even the cardinal directions.




Actions?


Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 14/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 5/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 10/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 28/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 10/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 21/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 6/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

PC Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:51 am 
Online
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1574
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

"When do we reach land? I can hardly feel my toes in these water logged boots. Where's that bird of yours gone off to?" Hoom complains to Bo.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:07 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13003
Location: Packerland
Bo feigns deep concern over his lost friend.

"Dammit! I should have been more clear with him, especially in these dreadful conditions. He has never lead me wrong before. I can only pray to the Shalm that nothing terrible has befallen him."

The druid knows deep down that this mess is his and that he better do something to raise the spirits of the crew. Still steaming over the half-orcs past antics, Bo moves ahead towards Brevos and has him pause for a moment as he tries to help him with his wounds.

CLW [1d8] = 8

He then moves to the selfless Ingrid and prays for her as well.

CLW [1d8] = 5

"We have the brave ranger Brevos here to lead us through this place, and I am no slouch in the wild myself. I know this is a miserable way to travel, but the fact that the snakemen have laired this far out in the middle of this hell only speaks to how important it is for us to find them. If there are no objections, I say we continue to press on. The trail grows faint, but I think we can find our way. If there are members of the group that think I am wrong and that we will find only death out here, feel free to go back the way we came. I know that this dirty work is usually the hardest work, and that is why I will continue on till we find our path again and eventually find our destination."

With the help of Brevos, (hopefully) the druid attempts to continue leading the way through the swampy water, keeping a close eye on the map to help them find their bearings again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 am 
Online
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1574
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

"Objecton! Been there, done that, knock over the head and dragged along." Hoom Feethos exclaims from the back of the group with his hand raised in the air. "But you say that now, like a ships captain out at sea to a disgruntled crew." He lowers his arm and grins knowing that his exclamation will only serve to infuriate the druid.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group