Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine OOC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine OOC

#141 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I find the mechanics of this game complicated, leading to less chance for me to connect with my character. Which is too bad, because I dig him and want to get to know him better.

If Enoch and Marullus want to continue with this game in these rules, I will stick to it though because it is a good story and I am interested to see where it goes!

But if there is interest - and max_vale would need to be on board as the GM - I would be interested in switching the ruleset to Burning Wheel. I haven't played it, but having played Torchbearer I am interested in learning. The mechanics are streamlined to allow for players to roll their own dice and narrate more of the story - or at least that is how TB works.

Really, it is up to the rest of you. I am in if you are all in. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Marullus »

I am in, and happy to remain.

For me, I just adjusted to this as a different play style. Max rolls the dice then narrates the results... It is less a game or a character I am connected to and more that I am enjoying watching him write a story himself.

This system now ranks with Burning Wheel as my two favorites. They are both well-designed but serve totally different purposes. This system is for big fish playing politics on a world stage (I.e. Game of Thrones) and brings together group rules (Houses, Warfare) with individual action (Combat, Intrigues) pretty seamlessly. Burning Wheel is the story of individuals, often out of their depth, and the personal drives which make them move forward through difficult challenges far beyond their means. It is excellent for the Assistant Pig Keeper who gets swept up in the Black Cauldron story, for Hobbit farmers sent across the world to throw away a ring, for ordinary people thrust into extraordinary circumstances. In GoT context, I would use Burning Wheel to tell Jamie Lannister's story after he lost his hand. I would use this GOT system for Tywin Lannister's quest for Legacy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:...the Assistant Pig Keeper who gets swept up in the Black Cauldron story...
Man! I loved that book! I'll have to find it to read to my boys when they are (much) older. :)

I'm happy to keep going then. Does anyone want to tweak their characters at all if things are changing? Darryn is fine the way he is, I think. But do Marullus and Enoch want to have that father-son dynamic? It seemed thrown in at the end to keep everyone related. (Obviously I have no problem with rewriting stories. And no, I never questioned what happened to the dog int eh Brady Bunch when I was a kid. :lol: )

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by max_vale »

I am not familiar with Burning Wheel; but if I were to switch rule-sets; I'd go to d6....very simple and very fun; at least, in my humble opinion. :) I can put up a post with my interpretation of the PCs using that rule-set if people like?

Okay, glad to hear that you guys are still in for the game.....work got a little more interesting today that usual; but I will definitely have the next post up tonight.

I think I'll have Gannis get hurt in a joust and get sent back to the Valmont lands while Darryn continues with the archery competition and Keyth and Eduard 'get the pitch' from the old Master of Whisperers.

I'll run Asher and Vaqarro as NPCs for now.....capable fighters and they have some other skills which could come in handy as well for some of the mission ideas I have.

Okay, more coming in a bit!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Serves me right for putting coins down on gannis. :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Marullus »

Deus ex machina is a bitch. :)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by max_vale »

Is that what Synthalus came down with....sounds painful.....:)

Okay, next post is up....sorry for the delay; it's a long one....let me know if it makes sense.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by max_vale »

Well gentlemen;

I think I'm going to have to wrap this game up as I am hemorrhaging players....one during player character creation; 2 very quickly into the game itself and now a fourth who isn't responding to my PMs nor making a post in the In-game thread and yet IS making posts in other threads on this site.

I'm really sorry about this; I really enjoyed the characters you all created and thought you played them wonderfully. My apologies if I did not live up to your expectations and I really, really appreciate you working with me on this. If you're at all interested, I think I'll see if anyone out there is perhaps interested in a 1930s pulp game or perhaps a 1980s era Cold War game (probably using the d6 system for either game); and both of you are CERTAINLY welcome to join in if interested.

Once again, my thanks and my apologies;

-Max

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

No worries max. It was a good game and you were doing a nice job with the story. I think that most folks are just very accustomed to D&D - style rules and anything else is difficult to garner staying power with. :(

Thanks for giving it a try though.

If you wanted to just retry a scenario with just two players, Marullus and I could give it a go, crafting players that intertwine better.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Thanks, Max. :). You introduced me to this system, which I remain tremendously enthusiastic about, and for that I owe you. Your ability to weave together our random backgrounds with the lore of George R R Martin is truly commendable. I regret not seeing the conclusion of the tale you were inspired to tell. Best of luck, and I hope to work with you again!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by max_vale »

Thanks Rusty and Marullus; you guys are truly class acts! I really appreciate your characters and play styles and I definitely hope to play with you on these boards again in the future. I think I'll take a break; for now anyway; from the Game of Thrones arena Rusty; but maybe I'll return to it again in the future. Once again, my most sincere thanks and appreciation to you both!

-Max

Return to “Game of Thrones: Against the Band of Nine”