Lycia's Dream

Rhourk
Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Lycia's Dream

#1 Post by Rhourk »

OOC This is Lycia's dream, it may never come up. I am posting it for everyone, because it's a lot to write.

Lycia has the following dream, while on the road to Shem.

The Battle at the Edge of Tomorrow

It is called the vortex by one side, the universal nova by the other. Words were never meant to describe an event this vast. The universe dies and spirals into infinity. Everything that was and every possibility of past or future collapses into the event. A time that cannot be called time at all approaches. In cosmic twilight, the divine masterpiece of creation gasps a final breath and surrenders to entropy, and infinity prepares the new dawn. But still the war rages on.
The first battle is long lost in antiquity. No one remembers the first engagements in a place where only the last shots matter. The defenders of today battle those that would conquer tomorrow.
The Commodore’s knuckles are white on the railing. He peers out from the carrier’s command bridge. The speed of the event or rather his limited perception of its speed, indicates that the event is nearing completion. Chronol-reactors hum deep within the carrier and the throughout the rest of the fleet. Their sole purpose is to power the repeaters, re-broadcasting the singularity harmonics from the planet-ship. Without the singularity field they would instantly join the rest of existence, falling into oblivion.
Fires bloom in the void as missiles detonate against the enemy leviathan. The leviathan mirrors the planet-ship in purpose, but where the planet-ship is a silver and green gem in the heavens, the leviathan is a dark and sinister stain against the night. Its shape stretches through the void like a primeval nightmare from the stygian depths of old. Its glistening hull is hundreds of miles long, and the bridge sprouts spinal cannons like great tentacles groping the void. The cannons fire in turn as the Commodore’s fleet moves in for the kill. Great destroyers and cruisers are sheered in half or disintegrated when the cannons find their mark.
“All ships full ahead, get in below the arc of those cannons”, the Commodore’s commands are relayed through the fleet. Millions of lives have been claimed in the battle, and the death toll continues to mount, but untold billions will live free tomorrow.
The battle rages. The leviathan sprouts flames from every section. She lists to her port side, mortally wounded, but she won’t go quietly.
“Sir, Omega wing reports the leviathan is sufficiently breeched to her starboard, and quantum munitions are ready. They await your order Sir.”
The Commodore’s voice cracks and he coughs slightly to cover his anxiety. Is this joy he is feeling, relief? How can this odyssey finally end? His entire race strived through all time to this one moment. And the honor of the final command is his alone. Certainly no other being in history has ever felt this moment of…satisfaction. He reaches down for the COM and finds his voice.
“Omega squadron, begin your attack run, and hurry home.”
Ten bombers form into position and dive at the leviathans’ open hull. Torpedoes of light, pulsing with energy, blinking in and out of existence, speed forth and vanish. They strike home without sound or impact. They tear holes in the singularity itself, sucking massive sections of the leviathan into the vortex. The lights of the leviathan blink out.
Cheers erupt on the bridge, and the commodore smiles. Impossibly, it is finally over. The mix of emotions is more than he can process. He simply closes his eyes and rests.
Soon a new universe will be born in light, order and glory, and the last tribes of the free will emerge from beyond the touch of time to mold the first life of her womb. All of existence lies before them, a great cosmic canvas, to forge into a golden age of reason and peace. Generations of battle beyond counting will finally end. A new age waits for them on the other side of the singularity, a reward won through the sacrifice of billions of lives.
“The Leviathan’s generators are offline Sir. It's dead in the wat…wait we have a launch detection. It’s a jumper Sir. I read quantum drives coming online”, the lieutenant waits for the Commodore’s orders.
“Order Omega wing to intercept, the singularity is sealed it can’t jump…”
The lieutenant breaks in frantically, “power surge from the Leviathan, her reactors may be firing back up, wait these…”
His words fade; angry white light burns their eyes, and the carrier rocks to its foundations. Precious seconds pass before the Commodore regains his senses. Sirens scream, as the bridge crew scrambles back to stations.
“Damage report”, his voice cracks.
“We are not getting readings on over half the fleet, the singularity is barely holding together Sir, it is chaos right now, and I need a moment to...”
“Where is the jumper, where is Omega wing”, the urgency has returned to the Commodores’ voice.
“It’s gone Sir we lost it. One quantum trail is visible but fading. I get no reading from Omega squadron; they were closest to the Leviathan when it blew. We have a transmission or part of one. I’ll play it back”
The COM link crackles, “Omega viper six…report…trail…drive engaged.”
“Sir we have readings on two trails now, both fading, wait there gone Sir”, he looks to the commodore.
The commodore shakes his head. They were so close. The quantum reactors of the Leviathan must have damaged the singularity more than they thought possible when it exploded, but if those two ships jumped the singularity was breached. He turns to the bridge port.
Color explodes from the darkness of space. Dozens of Leviathans and thousands of support craft phase into the singularity. In the center a massive figure looms, dwarfing the Leviathans, impervious to the rigors of space. Massive wings spread from its back, massive jets of flame and smoke pour from them as it propels itself toward the remaining fleet. Red armor glows against the void as cosmic fire pours from his hands to obliterate what remains of the armada. One billion screams echo silently through the void.
The Commodore hangs his head, and his command ship crumbles around him. The golden age dies. The new universe will be a place of chaos and death, for the destroyer has arrived, and nothing is left to fight him.”

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Lycia's Dream

#2 Post by Agnati »

Classic choose-your-ending fashion:
Lycia jolts awake from her dream with the Captain's final thoughts. She looks panicked for a moment, then looks down at what's left of the burnt paper in her hands. "Hey guys. Remember that Grave Moss we found yesterday? Through some communion, I could find no alchemical use for the herb.... but if you roll it in parchment and light the end with flame and inhale from the other..." (she caughs) "Guys... you gotta try this!"
Lycia jolts awake from her dream with the Captain's final thoughts. She looks panicked for a moment and and her heart is racing from the vision. Collecting her thoughts, she addresses the group "Comrades, there is a great evil coming for us.... It's nothing of this world.... because it destroys and devours worlds, whole..... we need to call for help...."
Without another word, Lycia jumps off the rear of the wagon and clambers to her feat as the wagon slows... there's only one person that can help her now... that can save her friends... that can save her world..... only one person in all of time and space..... She bellows with all her might, "DOCTOR!!! (Click her for spoilers!)"
"Lycia... Lycia...."
Mixed with the Captain's final thoughts is a word whispered from afar but grows ever so closer until she wakes with Vis gently shaking her, whispering into her own mind. She looks panicked for a moment before closing her eyes tight to clear her head.
"You were moaning in your sleep.. tell me, were you dreaming or was it a vision from Her?"
From her mind to his, she responds "I.... I'm not certain, my friend. Many things beyond my comprehension, possibly anyone's comprehension... but I feel She was showing me future events. One thing is for certain, however........ they are coming."
She speaks aloud as she moves to a position on the wagon where they can all hear her in a normal tone.
"Friends... I must share something with you all... for I fear it could spell doom and destruction of all that we know.
When I was a young girl, I was an outcast from all those that I should have been closest to. I knew I was different so it didn't bother me to seclude myself. When I was alone, though, I was never really alone. The Great Mother was always with me. She knew me before I was conceived and She understands me and She knows me, at times, better than I understand and know myself. She protects me as well. When I was older, a group of my peers came upon me and meant to do me harm.... and the Great Mother gave me the power to overcome that trial for which I left my only home and never returned. The very same powers I use now to overcome our foes.
Later, she sent me a protector.
" (she looks and nods to Vis) "While, as you know, he doesn't say much, I trust him with my life and can vouch that you can do the very same.
You see... over the years, and the many visions and messages The Great Mother has given me, there is one constant... one message that inhabits every foreshadowing and sign... She tells me "They are coming".
Until today, however, I've never been shown who.... but now I know.
"
Lycia spends the next fifteen minutes or so trying to describe her vision. Stumbling over concepts such as a portal through which all things and all of time is being devoured and above it, great ships of steel and the size of a whole country defend it, flying through a void like a shark glides through water.... exploding arrows the size of their horse & wagon being propelled by flame... small craft used for assaults like an armed dingy deployed from a great juggernaut ship at sea... against a ship or a beast, she still isn't sure, the size of a mountain range... the moment of triumph when all of creation is at stake.... then a moment of despair when all of creation is doomed by forces larger than comprehension... and the figure who will destroy it all....
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Return to “Bloodlines: D&D 5th Ed”