A thought on XP.

Rhourk
Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

A thought on XP.

#1 Post by Rhourk »

I was thinking of the variable XP/leveling system, and I really like it. I think it would go like this. You would gain a level at each chapter/quest/module/whatever completion through 10h level. Most of those should take one or possibly two nights. it's pretty much the way it happens anyway, you are stuck out in the wild can't train and you get back and level up +25% pretty much every time. After 10th level it would take two completions to level up. This gives us 30 quests/completions to run the chronicle, very close to where we were with Black Obsidian.

This gets rid of a lot of paper work. Wherever you see the work experience point, feel free to ignore it. No more, XP from monsters, vs xp from magic items, vs xp from coins. All that paperwork is gone.

If you die on an adventure and must be brought back by the various methods, you don't lose a level, which can be a very different penalty depending where your xp total was in your current level, you just don't get a completion for that section.

It also allows me to start writing the content for down the road a lot sooner. I wont have to create filler material, because you're just not ready for this one yet, etc.

What do you think, I think it's pretty fucking elegant. You progress at a very similar rate, but you don't have to do the out of game mechanics.

Tungsten
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: A thought on XP.

#2 Post by Tungsten »

Sounds good to me

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Agnati »

I think it would simplify a lot, actually. Nothing against using any sort of XP system, but like you said, it would take away a lot of paperwork since it usually does end up where every session/adventure we level up once then after a while it would take two sessions/adventures. it would also cause a lot less of a headache for the DM, imo.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Johnny Champion »

Your game and this is clearly within your prerogative.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Agnati »

Craig said ability scores are increased by random 2d6 or a feat, fyi

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Johnny Champion »

Agnati wrote:Craig said ability scores are increased by random 2d6 or a feat, fyi
Which I guess is what we did last campaign right?

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Agnati »

Johnny Champion wrote:
Agnati wrote:Craig said ability scores are increased by random 2d6 or a feat, fyi
Which I guess is what we did last campaign right?
That is correct, sir

Return to “Bloodlines: D&D 5th Ed”