Action Thread 1

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 1

#21 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl waves to get the attention of a waitress.

Walkin' huh... Well that brings up another question, wheres our gold?
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:
Alethan wrote:"Aye, where's the best place in town to buy a horse?"
"The stablemaster, located near the northern gate, can outfit you with pack animals, but he is short on proper mounts, as they are all currently in the employ of the army."
Not even a palfrey or a rouncy? If not, then a mule it is... But not everyone needs to get one; two would probably suffice, along with a pack handler and a linkboy (I've never been one to hire mercs to fight with/for me, but I'm not above the occasional hireling to take on the menial tasks).
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Once we receive our upfront payment of 250gp, Francisco would like to do the following:

Trade in his Studded Leather armour (would he receive about half value for that? Maybe 7gp?).
Buy a Mail Hauberk (75gp) (This is what he wanted in the first place, but couldn't afford...)

Then buy the following:
Mule (18gp)
Pack Saddle (assuming standard saddle price) (10gp)
(2) Spare Quivers w/24 light quarrels in each (14gp)
Hooded Lantern (7gp)
(10) Oil, Lamp, Pint (10sp)
Flint and Steel (1gp)
Pole, 10' (2sp)
(10) Torches (1sp)
Crowbar (2gp)
Trail Rations (5 days) (30gp)
(3) Waterskins, 3 Pint capacity (all filled with watered wine) (6gp)
(4) Sacks, Large (6sp)
Rope, Hemp (50') (1gp)
Grappling Hook (1gp)
Twine, Linen (8cp)
Mirror, Small, Steel (20gp)

And hire the following for one month, half paid up-front and half paid at the end of the month or after services are no longer needed (which ever comes first):
Packhandler (30sp/month)
Linkboy (20sp/month)

(Hiring for a month at a time is sure to generate better will with the hirelings, so that's what I usually do. Francisco doesn't mind shelling out coin for the above supplies per Ranger guidelines of not having possessions/valuables other than what he can carry.)

This leaves him with an additional 64gp, 5sp, and 2cp for total coins, after all is said and done. This is much more potable than 250 gold coins...

All of the additional gear, minus the mirror, will go on the mule.

ToniXX, let me know if any of this is not possible, for whatever reason.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by migellito »

Kurn accompanies Francisco to help get supplies together. "Your list looks good, Francisco."
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#25 Post by ToniXX »

Computer +1 wrote:Walkin' huh... Well that brings up another question, wheres our gold?
Cecilia motions to the human bodyguard. He takes the sack off his back and pulls out smaller sacks, placing one in front of each party member. The larger sack is obviously magical in nature, as there is no way the six smaller sacks could have all fit within it.

"Here is your upfront payment. I am hoping you can depart first thing in the morning, as time is of the essence. If you need supplies you can find a smith, an armorer, and an apothecary just down the street from this tavern," She glances out the window by the front door to gauge the time "and I'm sure all are still open for at least another hour or so." The bodyguard who dispensed the gold returns to his position behind Cecilia, and nods in agreement.

"One more thing: My spies in the hills will be well aware of the outcome of your mission, so do not attempt to falsify the results upon your return. As long as you are fair and loyal with me, I, the mayor and the governor will take care of you. May the gods be with you, gentelmen."

Alethan: I have no problem with any of that stuff, and it is all available at the various shops in town, and the stables. I'll roll up stats on the hirelings and post that in a new thread. If anyone else wants to buy stuff, list it here and adjust your PCs coinage.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by rredmond »

Ah, a good stretch of the legs is exactly how an adventure should start, Nunyet remarks. Freeing a temple of evil is exactly how it should end.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Argennian »

Brok Sterling bows again to the Lady Cecilia as she systematically places the 250gp advance in front of each party member, offering a courteous Milady... with a deeper bow as his is personally presented. He averts his eyes not only out of respect but in an effort to hide the sparkle of desire they both embody. He also stays his twitchy hands until at least most of the party have gathered theirs. (After all, he wouldn't want to appear too greedy and presumptious in front of Lady Cecilia now would he? ;) )

Brok takes his advance as slowly and nonchalantly as he can, already having calculated where he'll need to go, what he'll need to acquire and just whom he'll have to see to make it so before morning. No small task... he reassures himself mentally...

rredmond wrote:Ah, a good stretch of the legs is exactly how an adventure should start, Nunyet remarks. Freeing a temple of evil is exactly how it should end.
My thoughts exactly, friend Nunyet! I am as anxious as you all to validate our Lady's obvious trust in us and our combined capability! With our newfound personal guide and partner in Master Blacktongue here, our travel to said site seems predominantly ensured, to be sure! the human offers as he stands with a flourish of his left hand. If you will excuse me then, friends, I have some incompleted business matters of an important nature that I must see settled before we are to depart on the morn. If I may take my leave of thee, milady? Brok proffers to Lady Cecilia with a deep bow and lowered gaze.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
leebrown1990
Strider
Strider

#28 Post by leebrown1990 »

Cis rummages through the parcel of treasure, weighing it in his open palm, before plucking a piece out between his thumb and index finger. He rotates it, watching in awe as it catches the light.

Only one member of his tribe was elected to trade with the outsiders, no one else had use for this medium of worth. He looks to the others with a look of childish excitement on his face. He’s now thankful of the Half-Orc asking for more pay!

"More of this, please. Most definitely more of this!"

Cis assists with the gathering of goods, but has little experience in bartering, opting to leave that to his friends. He is keen to feel the wind on his face and uses his spare time before setting off to make some offerings of incense to the various primal spirits.

He is particularly welcoming to the link boy and handler, the number or teenagers amongst his people has severely dwindled of late. They are but boys to him and he finds it encouraging seeing them opt to brave the wilderness with the party.

OOC: He’ll be surprised when he finds out they’re only a year or 2 younger than the half-orc!
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl takes a quick look in his bag to see the glimmer of gold. Satisfied he gets up from the table quickly snatching up his club.

See you pukes in the mornin' then, I got some stuff to do.

Yarl stomps out of the bar shouldering anyone who gets in his way.

I will PM his supply list and what he wants to get done before morning.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

With his purchases made, Francisco retires for the night and will meet the others back at a predetermined place (same table?) for breakfast before beginning their journey.

(Will update character sheet with the appropriate changes.)
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Argennian »

Brok makes it back to the tavern inn after midnight. With a glance at their table and a tip of his hat to the innkeep, he heads to bed to get some sleep. He'll be up at dawn to meet with Francisco and the rest of the party prior to setting off.

OOC: heading over to update items on character sheet and mark down/track expenses! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#32 Post by ToniXX »

Day 2 – an hour or so after daybreak

The party assembles in the tavern at day break. Francisco's hirelings are present and awaiting orders. The last to arrive is the half-orc, who's got a hireling as well. His name is Phâramac (stats in NPC thread), and Blacktongue is mum on why he hired the man. He's an older gent who's missing an eye and won't wear an eye patch.

First stop is the stables, where the mule is purchased and the gear is packed. You are now at the north gate of town. The gate is usually left open during daylight hours, and currently it is quite busy.

I need to know what route you're taking. You can take the paths (dotted lines), roads (solid lines) or cut through the wilderness.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by migellito »

"There's the trail that goes over the river and through the woods to the northwest, but I don't think we'd save much time over the Griel Route, up past the fort."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by Alethan »

"Agreed. I think our easiest route will be to take the main road for as long as we can, then cut south closer to the temple."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:"Agreed. I think our easiest route will be to take the main road for as long as we can, then cut south closer to the temple."

Brok offers an unusually prolific fourish of his free hand with a telling grin upon his visage. "Ahh, a prudent and wise discretion to be sure, friend! Better to keep to the road whilst we can and be considered either part of the King's army or auxiliary, or perhaps mere travelers at most, lest we stray to the paths and game trails of the surrounding area and draw the intentions and potential ire of all that do not use roads! It is also certainly conceivable that there could be other... eyes watching out that are not in service of our Lady and benefactor?"

Once the party heads out, Brok will keep his bow and an arrow to hand, just in case they come across any dangerous encounters or other such negativity!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: Once the party heads out, Brok will keep his bow and an arrow to hand, just in case they come across any dangerous encounters or other such negativity!
Likewise, Francisco will keep his crossbow loaded and ready once they are on the road. He's ready to head out whenever everyone else is.

(I would still request someone else buy rations for the two hirelings. Francisco doesn't have the coin to get both of them rations for 7 days each.)
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:... (I would still request someone else buy rations for the two hirelings. Francisco doesn't have the coin to get both of them rations for 7 days each.)
OOC: Apologies for not speaking up earlier, Al! :oops: Wasn't ignoring ya, man, just that Brok blew his wad on... things/other stuff & barely has enough coin left to get himself extra trail rations! :roll:

Ok then good people, our fine ranger has ponied up for the mule & hirelings from his advance. Might there be one among our benevolent group that would be willing to cover these meager, additional expenses?!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by rredmond »

"Ponied up for the mule?"
:lol:

I've got to buy my equipment still... but IIRC my GP was pretty weak. Need that armor man, need that armor!

I'll see what I can do...
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:"Ponied up for the mule?"
:lol:

I've got to buy my equipment still... but IIRC my GP was pretty weak. Need that armor man, need that armor!

I'll see what I can do...
Ummm... we did all just get an additional 250gp in advance...
leebrown1990
Strider
Strider

#40 Post by leebrown1990 »

Cis hearing there is a building that turns gold into more gold hands his parcel over to Fransico. He can take whatever he needs for rations then the rest will go in the Bank.

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”