The Crusty Jug (23)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

The Crusty Jug (23)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote:Father Dowling

The priest will make his way to the nearest tavern, which appears to be The Crusty Jug, making sure to note what buildings he passes on the way if they are not already marked on the map (such as whatever number 21 is).

Walking into the tavern, the priest will make a cursory scan of the people inside before selecting a seat. He wants to locate himself near others, so they may hear his conversation but he does not wish to make that obvious. He would prefer they think they are overhearing a private conversation when he engages either the barkeep or a barmaid, depending on his choice of seating location.

After being seated, he will order a small mug of ale, and wait for it to be brought to him before beginning to converse with the bar staff delivering his drink.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: The Crusty Jug (Father Dowling)

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Father D takes it upon himself to go it alone, to the nearest tavern. Priests love their wine they do say. He passes one building that shares the same decor as the tavern ahead.

#21 Wine Makers

The building has no signage outside but it appears to be the home of a wine maker. The requisite wooden barrels and presses can be seen around back next to a large wagon filled with rotting vegetation. There is a trough that runs from the river to a small vineyard in the back yard.

The Crusty Jug looks much better than its name implies. It is very well kept and very clean, inside and out. The Tyrian Cleric enters through the front door and sees a nearly empty room, perhaps because it is only early afternoon.

There are three traveling merchant types drinking and laughing at one table in the center of the main room. There is a man sitting alone in the corner. He is drinking ale while listening to a young girl who is sitting on a small stage, playing the lute and singing softly. There is an older couple sitting at the bar drinking tall glasses of wine. They are talking with the obvious proprietor who looks up at the priest with a halfhearted smile as he enters.

Sit anywhere you like friend. Not too busy here yet. We make all our own selections here at the Jug. We sell ale and wine. People come from miles around for both.

After the Father picks chooses his seat and orders, the barkeep quickly pours and serves the priest his ale. I don't remember ever seeing you here before. The name's Stew! Stew Kresty! This here is me and my.....I.....I...I'm sorry, I mean to say this here is my place. His last sniffling words fall off his tongue into a mumbled depression.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The priest casts a sympathetic gaze upon the barman. He places his hand on the other man's arm, speaking softly. Son, it appears something is troubling you. It would do you good to speak with me, to get it off your chest as they say. I assure you, I am a very good listener and maybe I can offer some advice or comfort to aid you. In my travels, I have spoken with many people, good souls who were overcome with problems, and I believe I have brought a little light into their world when previously they saw only darkness. Whatever the cause of your grief may be, remember that you are not the only one to ever face something like this, and you don't have to face it alone.

This was absolutely not what I was expecting to talk about here, but I guess I'll go with it.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew Kresty

Well, I guess it's no secret around here that my wife went missing a long time ago. I guess I've never really gotten over it or even accepted it.

Hey wait, who are you again? Did someone send you here?

The older couple look in the direction of your conversation, visibly upset with the topic.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

I'm sorry, where are my manners? My name is Father William Dowling, of Baskerville. Aware the older couple is upset with the conversation, Father Dowling will speak to Stew barely above a whisper. I am an itinerant priest, travelling where the roads take me. I had recently heard tales of a tower in this area said to be haunted, and I was interested in taking a look at it. My purpose in stepping into this establishment today was to soothe my parched throat and see if you might know anything about the tower, but that is not important right now. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. What was the name of your dear wife? What happened, if I may ask? She just disappeared? Any idea what may have happened to her? Could she have wandered into the woods and been attacked by an animal, or was there anyone who was thought to have abducted her? I'm sorry if this brings up painful memories, but speaking about it may help you move on and accept your loss. Unfortunately, as a priest I have had far too many similar conversations with people who have had a difficult time adjusting to life after the loss of a loved one. It is never easy, but it helps the grieving, so I bear that burden. I am more than willing to put my ghost hunting aside for now in order to help unburden the heart and soul of my fellow man. Have you spoken to a priest before? Surely, there must be someone in town you could speak with, my son?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A warm smile crosses the old mans face. He seems grateful that a complete stranger is willing to try to help him with his condition.

The elderly couple is still whispering to each other with crinkled noses as they watch the priest speak.

Thank you father! I would be happy to sit and speak with you. Let me make sure my patrons are all set and I will return to talk more with you.

Scott308

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest smiles. By all means, my son. I would not wish you to shirk your duties and neglect the fine patrons of your establishment. My time is yours.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew checks on his patrons and goes to get another round for the merchants table. He has a short conversation with the old couple as he is filling glasses and it seems as though the topic is getting a little heated.

He goes to serve the drinks and seems to be ignoring whatever the couple has to say. As he returns with the empty mugs and glasses, the couple begins to get up to leave.

He heads back to your table with a full mug and sets it down in front of you.

Believe me Father, I have spoken to everyone who would listen, priests included.
image.jpg
image.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
As the elderly man plops down into an empty chair, the couple walks to the exit, shaking their heads in his direction.

Scott308

#9 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The good priest stands and waves to the old couple as they leave. Have a nice evening, gentle people. He sits back down and continues talking to the bartender. Well my son, maybe speaking to someone who knows nothing about your loss can finally give you the help you need.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The old couple gives Father Bill sarcastic smiles as they leave the tavern.

Stew sighs deeply and begins to spin his tale for the priest of Tyr.

Don't mind them, they just care about me too much.

My wife's name is.....was, Gladys and she was the best wife any man could ask for.

Yes, it was several years ago now but, she just disappeared without a trace one morning. There was no evidence of an attack. She didn't wander into the woods or anywhere else that I am aware of, she just vanished. I have my suspicions about what actually happened, but I cant find any way to prove it.

Aint like that new sheriff would do anything about it now anyway.
The old man hangs his head again but seems to be a bit more comforted talking about it.

I probably shouldn't be talking to you about this anyway, but I does make me feel a little better.

Scott308

#11 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest listens to Stew's story. He sips from his mug and replies, Mr. Kresty, if it is making you feel better, I don't see what could possibly be wrong. What are these suspicions? What do you think happened to Gladys? Why wouldn't the sheriff do anything? For that matter, how long has the sheriff been here, and why did the old sheriff leave? Did he retire? If he still lives nearby, maybe I could go talk to him, see if he remembers anything. I can start asking around, see if anybody knows anything. Maybe people will feel comfortable talking to a priest when they might not have been willing to talk to the sheriff. Is there anyone you feel I might speak with?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't see what could possibly be wrong.

That's because you aren't from around here. You see, my wife isn't the only one who's gone missing. There are a few others that I know of and probably a few more that I don't know about. It seems to me that the folk that do the most talking and investigating around here are the ones that have been going missing lately. I don't want anyone else getting into trouble because of me and my big mouth.
What are these suspicions? What do you think happened to Gladys?
I think she was abducted! Worse yet, I think it was by someone she knew and trusted. I can remember way back to just before this all started. There was this shady looking guy that would always come around trying to schmooze all the woman folk. I always thought that he had something to do with all of this missing person tragedy but I could never prove it. He disappeared about 5 years after the vanishings started and nobody's seen him since. So, I guess it was just me imagining things because, he's no longer around and the problem hasn't gone away.
Why wouldn't the sheriff do anything? For that matter, how long has the sheriff been here, and why did the old sheriff leave? Did he retire?

The old sheriff was a guy named Positive Steve. He was the best lawman that this town has ever seen, in all of my years anyway. Unfortunately, he too became a victim and hasn't been seen in over 2 months now. The new guy, Captain Teneel, is a real jerk. I don't think he even cares about what is going on here and he has never done anything about it as far as I know.

Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest listens to Stew. That sounds...bad. I believe I shall have to chat with your sheriff. Even though you don't think he is responsible any more, I would like the name of the person you suspect. Maybe he didn't disappear. Maybe he left because of his involvement.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew seems even more relaxed now, knowing that the Father is such a good listener.

That is another reason that I suspected this strange man from the start. When I started asking around about him after he disappeared, it turned out that he was giving people numerous different aliases and had multiple stories about his reason for being in Brotherton. That is why I thought he was suspicious in the first place.

I was never able to obtain any solid information about the guy, and now I probably never will.

The old man hangs his head in thought and a seriously depressed expression takes over his face.

The new sheriff lives at the Militia House, on the southeast side of town. you can ask him whatever youd like but don't expect a lot of valuable information from him. I just don't think the guy cares.

Scott308

#15 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest stands and shakes the hand of the proprietor. Thank you, Stew. You have given me some good information and food for thought. I will contemplate what I have learned and begin speaking with others. Are there any others in town who had a family member go missing? He finishes his ale. What do I owe you for my drinks, sir?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew Kresty

Leaving so soon? Oh well, that's fine. Please do come back again.

Two homebrews is one gold coin.

I would rather not involve other families with my problem, even if they are similar. Promise me that if you do go talking to anyone else about this, that you don't bring up my name. I usually keep my opinions about this to myself. I'm not sure why I've shared so much with you already. You just seem like an honest person to me I guess.

Stew stands and shakes back.

Please let me know if you find anything that I couldn't.

Scott308

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

I respect your decision not to involve others, and you have my word that I will not bring up your name in connection to this matter. I thank you for taking the time to speak with me about such a difficult topic. You and your wife will be in my prayers. The priest takes out a gold coin and places it on the table to pay for his drinks and turns to leave. As he gets to the door, he turns around. Just one more thing, Mr. Kresty. I almost forgot my original purpose here. Do you know anything about the haunted tower? I still intend to investigate the tower at some point, and any information I can get about it would be helpful. It seems like the sort of thing people may discuss in taverns, so I am hoping you may have heard things.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew

I know some things. Old Mort used to come in here many years ago. Not a bad guy really, but definitely misunderstood. He always changed his appearance whenever he came into town. Not like a thief or assassin would, mind you. Just a few minor magical alterations to prevent being recognized. He enjoyed his anonymity you see. Didn't want folks coming around asking him to cast mundane spells for them.

He was always cordial and pleasant enough when he was here. Some folks feared him because it was said that he was a powerful wizard, but I never saw a bad side to him.

He had a bad accident out at his tower one night. Nobody knows for sure what happened but, there was a huge explosion and the next day, his tower was in ruins and he was found dead. Blown to pieces actually.

His tower has been in ruins ever since and there are rumors of his ghost still haunting that area. If you can believe such things like that anyway. I do know that the area is avoided by most people now.

The old man seems to think of something while he is talking.

Mort gave me something once. He said it was magical and valuable but, I could never figure out what it was good for. I know I still have it here somewhere. Let me see if I can dig it up. Come on back before you head out there. If I find it, you can bring it with you and see if you can figure out what it is for me.

Good evening Father Dowling, and thank the you for the conversation.

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

I will be sure to do so, Stew. Thank you, and a good evening to you, as well. With that, the priest will exit the Crusty Jug.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Was there another place you would like to check out then Scott?

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”