The investigation continues.....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

The investigation continues.....

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I think that the constant jumping around from thread to thread is getting confusing. (at least it is for me) From now on, we can stay in this one main thread (while still using your private threads) when the group is all together, like other games. Then we can still use the location threads for specific business that occurs only at that place. Sound reasonable?

Scott.....I will assume that Oz, Ep, and Ug came to wake Orando after searching the town for Odilo and Grillock. That way you can continue your conversation at the Crusty Jug and then jump in here if you want as well.

After the pretty elf is roused from his sticky slumber, the adventures meet up in the main room at the Weary Traveler once again to discuss the days plans. Suddenly, the front door bursts open and in walks the towns new sheriff followed by Brother Tomas.

There he is captain! That's the one who I suspect did it! Brother Tomas points and glares at Sir Ugghra, the half-orc debutant.

The rather large Captain Taneel walks over to your table and sets a piece of parchment down on the table in front of Ugghra. I assume that a dandy such as yourself knows his letters? Write the words I tell you to on this paper, please! He offers a piece of dark chalk to write with. Write down the words "I" "am" "for" and "you", please!
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Sun May 08, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The investigation continues.....

#2 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, enchantrix

The elven occultist closes his grimoire as the last incantation is impressed upon his mind. There is a knock at the door.

"Coming," says Orando, putting his clothes on. He finds study done in the nude more conducive to tapping his inner core.

"Good morning Epi and Ugghra! How was your evening? I have an ogre thigh in my pack Ugghra, should you need a morning snack."

"Yesterday I spent a peaceful afternoon amongst the tower ruins, writing in my journal and composing naughty sonnets. In the evening a wandering zombie or some such undead visited. It was a poor conversationalist. I think it could see me in my invisible state, but it was hesitant to near the stone altar."

"After midnight I paid a visit to the old crone alchemist, who is more than she seems. She was not very helpful, but did show genuine surprise when told about Brother Tomas' holy symbol being the swirl of the threatening altar message. She spoke of an unrealized connection but would not say more. This prompted a visit to Brother Tomas, who was asleep in his room. I was bereft of spells at that moment, otherwise I would have... examined his holy symbol. Upon my return to the inn I spied a suspicious woman walking alone about town. She was not forthcoming in her intentions."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

At Orando's little jest, the chivalric changeling smiled politely, as he did whenever he heard an unrefined foreigner make a joke in very poor taste. Then: "Please Tell Us You've Memorized A Spell That Can Reduce The Altar At The Ruined Tower?"

Before Tomas and Captain Teneel, Sir Ugghra said softly to his colleagues,"Why, How Promising. We Must Be Getting Rather Close To The Mark."

Then he looked at Tomas, or rather, directly at his "holy symbol," and smiled broadly, "Why My Dear Brother Tomas, Whatever Is the Matter? Was It Something I Said?"

Finally, he stood and answered the sheriff with great affront and indignation: "How Dare You, Sir?! Have You Any Idea To Whom You Are Speaking?! If You Value Your Position, You'd Do Well To Explain What This Is All About, Immediately!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brother Tomas is visibly upset. "You know good and well what this is all about you haberdashed hoodlum"! He shouts at Ugghra.

The large Captain Taneel puts a hand on the priests shoulder and smiles at him. Please good Brother, allow me to do my job here.

He looks back to Ugghra and continues.

It would seem that someone has defaced temple property. I simply asked if there was anyone that had come around recently that would do such a thing. The priest here tells me that you haven't exactly been very respectful to him as of late. Is that true?

Why would someone of noble upbringing do such a thing? UNLESS!!! You are not really who you say you are?
The pair continue to eye Ugghra suspiciously.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Inferno »

Though outraged and offended at this baseless affront, the entitled terror was quite calm and sure, as were most nobility when dealing with agents of the law. They primarily existed to defend the rights of the nobility after all.
"This Is Preposterous, Sir! My Credentials," he stated as he proffered, with a small flourish, papers signed by his majesty, the King of Furyondy. (Furyondy Prevails)
"I Am A Holy Knight And Would Sooner Deface Myself Than Deface A Church! Fie Upon These Perfidious Charges!"

Then realization dawned on Sir Ugghra. "Pray, Sir. What Was The Nature Of This Despicable, Craven Act Upon The Temple?"

OM: Do any on the party have examples of Brother Tomas' handwriting?
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Grognardsw »

"By all that is holy," mutters Orando empathetically upon hearing such distressing news. Orando looks concerned as he listens to Brother Tomas. He takes his morning breakfast food before him and makes a pious hand motion over it while mumbling an elven meal prayer of thanks.

"I am shocked by this. What was the nature of the defacement good Brother Tomas? Orando asks softly.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Seeing her favorite law enforcement officer, Epi stays out of the confrontation mulling to herself, I, am, for, you? Perhaps, 'I am coming for you?' That does not sound promising.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

After hearing all the answers to his inquiries, the dreadful dilettante patted his pockets and produced, with a small flourish, a sheet of parchment folded in half. "Here, Good Officer. Perhaps This Will Help Clear Up This Most Regrettable Matter."

It was Brother Tomas' letter, folded back to conceal his name and signature.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The sheriff takes the papers from Ugghra but doesn't look at them very closely.

Someone wrote "I am coming for you" in chalk on the front doors of the temple. The note was accompanied by a swirling pattern design, closely resembling the priests holy symbol.

The burly man stares down his nose at Ugghra. Now......why would someone do such a thing?

Perhaps I could ask you all to show us your possessions and we can see if any of you are carrying the same color of chalk on your persons?

He waits to see what the groups next move will be while Brother Tomas just scowls.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

"I Thought You Requested a Handwriting Sample?" the gallant grotesquerie said to Teneel as he indicated the paper he had just handed him.

"As to The Chalk, It Might Be Most Expedient To Simply Examine Everyone's Hands, My Good Sheriff," Ugghra said as he offered forth his open, clean palms, and looked at the hands of Brother Tomas.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The sheriff looks a little closer at the second paper handed to him. He looks at Brother Tomas and shrugs.

Are you sure about this Padre? His handwriting looks nothing like what is on the door.

The intellectually challenged sheriff looks a little confused but still addresses the group.

Would everyone care to show me their palms please?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brother Tomas grabs the note from the sheriff when he recognizes it.

That is my handwriting you dolt!!! This is the letter that I sent out, of course it isn't the same handwriting that is on the door. Why would I deface my own temple?

The priest throws his chalk free hands up into the air in disgust at the captains blundering.

Just make the half-orc write the words so we can see for ourselves please! He continues to wait for Ugghra to write the words on the parchment.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Inferno »

"Sir Ugghra," the haughty horror said pedantically. "The Half-Orc's Name Is Sir Ugghra." He produced a long feather quill and parchment and skillfully wrote out the requested words in a calligraphy so exquisite, it would make a bishop weep.
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
"There. Satisfied? Now, I Wonder Why Anyone Would Attempt To Vandalize Anything In a Medium As Fleeting As Chalk? It Hardly Seems Ideal For Such Work. Rather, It Seems Much More Likely To Be Something Carried By...A... " he trailed off, trying not to look at the Sorceress Orando.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, sorcerer who on most occasions presents as male

Orando offers his hands. "You are welcome to search my robes, room, horse and saddle bags," he offers. "Brother Tomas, given your long history in Brotherton, do you have any ideas on who wrote the warning on the slab in the ruins? The old crone alchemist inferred your holy symbol being there is more than coincidence."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Taneel seems like he has had about enough of this nonsense. He looks at Ugghra's writing and raises an eyebrow at the beautiful script that came from the hands of such a ugly individual. He then inspects Orando's hands with little emotion before addressing the group again.

I can already see that this is going nowhere. This writing is clearly not the same as on the temple.

This...........person's hands are clean and he has offered to allow us to search his belongings. Do you have actual proof that the vandalism was caused by one of these people, father?

Brother Tomas replies in a huff.

No! I guess not. It seems that ANY evidence is rather hard to come by in this town. The priest of Pelor steadies himself and then answers the elf's questions.

The note on Mort's slab was obviously put there by him as some kind of warning. I've always thought it was a clue to why he suddenly disappeared, but most folks think that he just blew himself up in his tower.

As for the old crone down by the river, don't listen to a word she says. She is quite mad and has been for a long, long time. The swirl pattern on the slab is merely a coincidence as I am certain that my holy symbol here was a gift from Pelor. It has nothing to do with the note, in my opinion.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"So someone or something wrote 'I am coming for you' along with the swirl pattern on the temple's door. So whoever the perpetrator was must know about the warning in the mage's former tower." She sighs, "Alas that does not look to narrow down our list of suspects much."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, inquisitor
OGRE MAGE wrote:
The note on Mort's slab was obviously put there by him as some kind of warning. I've always thought it was a clue to why he suddenly disappeared, but most folks think that he just blew himself up in his tower.
"Yes good Brother Tomas, we should trust your wisdom on such matters," replies Orando kindly and with a charismatic smile. The wise elf seeks to appeal to the cleric's station and obvious ego which may have been bruised earlier by cavalier treatment.

"But yet I am troubled by a few aspects. If Mort put the slab message there with the swirl, could he not have left your swirl holy symbol in the temple?"

"When you say you thought the slab message a clue, why is that and how?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Knowing that she might be the only one present that actually still trusts him, Brother Tomas looks down at Epi and nods his head, smiling.

After hearing Orando's suggestions, The priest looks as though he is deep in thought. Finally, he speaks again.

Captain, I believe I may have jumped to conclusions a bit. I think your work here is done. I am an old man and sometimes these things happen, you know.

The sheriff shakes his head in disgust and takes his leave of the group without saying another word. He passes Father Dowling and Ozwaldus as they enter the inn and tromps right past them as well. The pair joins the others at the table while Brother Tomas continues to speak, albeit a bit more subdued this time.

Orando, I think that your assumption is preposterous. After all these long years, I think it would be hard for me to believe that the holy symbol was anything other than a gift from my god. But now I must say that you have me thinking a lot harder about it.

It was rumored long ago that Mad Mortimer was dabbling with conjurations that he could not control. I think that his message was a warning about something referring to that. Why and how, I do not know. I agree that you should investigate the ruins further, with or without me. I have a feeling that there might be more out there than we suspected earlier.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

The ranger shakes her head as the sheriff leaves thinking to herself Keep up the fair work.

"Perhaps on the brighter side the message said, 'I am coming for you' as opposed to 'We are...'"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest looks at the group and then back towards the door, seeing the sheriff exiting. Good morning, Brother Tomas. Epi, Orando, Ugghra...hmm, still no Odilo or Grillock? Do we have any ideas where to look for them or do we just head back to the tower without them? And why was the sheriff here? Did we miss something? he asks, indicating Ozwaldus and himself.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”