[Continued] - Harrowing Festival - 1 VC - Vaul

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Harrowing Festival - 1 VC - Vaul

#81 Post by Keehnelf »

11:00am

Ghryselda scowls at Wendall as he approaches, but at his friendly words her demeanor softens. "Why yes, sir--as the noon hour approaches it would be kind of you to lend a hand. We need to set out eight score glasses for the attendees across all these tables, and Hiramin across the way will need some hands to get the plates all stacked in place as well." She motions to a middle-aged human woman working a brick oven and a number of pots bubbling over large cook fires with the aid of an elderly man and two teenaged children:
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Keehnelf »

11:10am

Constance, on her way to the festival ground, finds herself passing by the very last wagon of the merchant caravan, one which everyone had assumed was a locked storage wagon because no one had been seen using it. As she approaches, the narrow door on the back opens suddenly, and a large and heavily-built figure stands framed in the opening.

It is average human height, but heavy-set and of indeterminate sex due to the set of heavy multi-fold violet robes that cover the figure from top to bottom. They are lined with pale silver thread and topped by a hood and veil that obscure the figure's features entirely.

As the old woman stands by, somewhat dumbstruck, the figure ones to work silently reconfiguring the wagon, removing panels that seemed a part of the construction to reveal a brightly-colored sign topped with a massive blue eye, and a small awning is erected attached to the front with heavy curtains hanging on all sides. The sign reads:

Axlith, Initiate of Sosostris, Lady of Visions
10g Crystal Readings
5g Card Readings
Custom Divinations by Contract
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#83 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar wanders outside, curious to see what all is going on at the festival. He sees one of his companions assisting Ghrym. Ho, Wendall! Those are some fine clothes ye have, son. Just the thing to wear to a celebration such as this! He claps Wendall on the shoulder. Have you seen any of the contestants from last night, or are they all still in bed? That other dwarf hasn't caused you any problems today, has he?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by GTan_Baq »

After a long day of pulling weeds, Abi stands and brushes herself off. She sees Ghrym setting up some kegs and goes over to ask for a drink.
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#85 Post by OGRE MAGE »

oops, combined the two posts.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keehnelf wrote:11:00am

Ghryselda scowls at Wendall as he approaches, but at his friendly words her demeanor softens. "Why yes, sir--as the noon hour approaches it would be kind of you to lend a hand. We need to set out eight score glasses for the attendees across all these tables, and Hiramin across the way will need some hands to get the plates all stacked in place as well." She motions to a middle-aged human woman working a brick oven and a number of pots bubbling over large cook fires with the aid of an elderly man and two teenaged children:
I would be happy to help with the set up! As long as I don't get my new duds too dirtied. I will check with Hiraman as well and help out if I can. I will be back to help with your mugs in a bit.

Wendall smiles and winks at the female dwarf, apparently feeling a bit of confidence in his fancy new clothing.

Scott308 wrote:Dorvar wanders outside, curious to see what all is going on at the festival. He sees one of his companions assisting Ghrym. Ho, Wendall! Those are some fine clothes ye have, son. Just the thing to wear to a celebration such as this! He claps Wendall on the shoulder. Have you seen any of the contestants from last night, or are they all still in bed? That other dwarf hasn't caused you any problems today, has he?
Wendall seems somewhat surprised at the compliment.

Hi Dorvar! Didn't expect to see you out already. No, other than Olympia, I havnt seen anyone yet today. I'm not sure who that Dwarf was that didn't like me in the tavern. Do you know him? Did he say anything about the whole incident after I left?

Wendalls attention seems to be drawn towards the strange person in the last wagon.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Keehnelf »

11:20am

Wendall is not alone--this newcomer seems to have drawn looks from all over, though nearly everyone is busy with tasks that prevent them from indulging their curiosity. As Wendall watches over Dorvar's shoulder, the figure brings a small round table, then a pair of clever wooden folding chairs, and then a box or other container draped with a velvet cloth the same color as his or her robes, except less sun-faded, all into the curtained enclosure. The figure does not reappear, and a moment later the caravan master enters the curtained area with a bow of courtesy, disappearing into the dim interior, hat in hand.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Keehnelf »

11:30am

Ghrym turns over a glass and taps the first keg to fill it for Abi with a smile."Make a wish, lass!" he calls, merrily. "First drink of the first keg of the first batch of spring is good luck, my grandpa always used to say! Then again, he was always the one drinking it and wasn't a brewer, himself. Haha!"
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#89 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar shakes his head and smiles at Wendall. No lad, I don't know all the other dwarves. I'm kidding, of course. I know that wasn't what you meant. No, I don't know him. I don't know what that was all about, but if he said anything after you left, I don't recall it. Mind you, we were both pretty well in our cups so something could have been said that we may not remember. Hopefully, whatever he thought you had done was just brought about by all the ale, but I'd try to stay clear of him if I were you just to be safe.

He turns to the barkeep. Ghrym, I'd be interested in trying a mug of your special festival brew, and a milk for Wendall, please, unless he would rather have something else, of course. What'll that cost me?

After getting their drinks, he turns back to Wendall. I see by your finery that you have been out shopping this fine morn. I think I will wander over and see what the caravan has that might be of interest to someone with less refined tastes, as well as pick up a few supplies for our next trip. I'm sure I shall see you later.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

Nihilius sits at the festival tables with Jem, asking questions about his experiences with the second trip to the near ruins. As a server passes, he asks for a dry red wine, preferably Arkthalian. A few sticky sweetbuns rest on the tray next to him; he breaks a piece off one and feeds it to the lanky wolfhound under the table, who snaps it up without chewing and then returns his attention to staring at the tray.
Nihilius, or 'Niles,' is a gangly youth, with long, skinny limbs; his large head is topped with an unruly mob of shaggy brown hair and flanked by protruding ears. A steep, imperious nose and pointed chin fit his long face and his generally somber and unamused expression. He wears an over-large travelling cloak meant for a slightly larger man, and the well-worn, almost threadbare robes of a sorcerer. He is inclined to observe quietly from the sideline, and is accompanied by a large, wiry-haired wolfhound named Ferris.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Keehnelf »

Ghryselda, passing by, gives Nihilius a puzzled frown at his request, then scurries back to chat with her father, who comes out from behind his makeshift bar wiping hands on apron.

He smiles at the boy, and says, half-embarrassed, "Pardon, sir, but Harrowing is an ale-drinking holiday traditionally, and I haven't stocked my station here with wine. I can run back to the tavern to bring you a bottle if you wish, but as the Arkthalian vineyards haven't produced a bottle in almost two hundred years, since the Fell Plague decimated that land, I'd be surprised to find a bottle under a few hundred gold pieces." He frowns before continuing. "I could send a request, if you'd like, with the caravan to acquire a bottle and bring it back in a few months? It'd require a bit of a deposit..."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#92 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wendall nods at Dorvars words as he notices the lone female drinking an ale. He goes to introduce himself and sits down with Abi and chats for a while.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marullus wrote:Nihilius sits at the festival tables with Jem, asking questions about his experiences with the second trip to the near ruins. As a server passes, he asks for a dry red wine, preferably Arkthalian. A few sticky sweetbuns rest on the tray next to him; he breaks a piece off one and feeds it to the lanky wolfhound under the table, who snaps it up without chewing and then returns his attention to staring at the tray.
Nihilius, or 'Niles,' is a gangly youth, with long, skinny limbs; his large head is topped with an unruly mob of shaggy brown hair and flanked by protruding ears. A steep, imperious nose and pointed chin fit his long face and his generally somber and unamused expression. He wears an over-large travelling cloak meant for a slightly larger man, and the well-worn, almost threadbare robes of a sorcerer. He is inclined to observe quietly from the sideline, and is accompanied by a large, wiry-haired wolfhound named Ferris.

Jem enjoys the sticky bun he is offered and spins the tale of brave Njord to the slightly overbearing young mage. He keeps the parts about himself to a minimum but speaks loudly about his brave and fearless comrades.

viewtopic.php?f=167&t=3492#p141772
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

Keehnelf wrote:Ghryselda, passing by, gives Nihilius a puzzled frown at his request, then scurries back to chat with her father, who comes out from behind his makeshift bar wiping hands on apron.

He smiles at the boy, and says, half-embarrassed, "Pardon, sir, but Harrowing is an ale-drinking holiday traditionally, and I haven't stocked my station here with wine. I can run back to the tavern to bring you a bottle if you wish, but as the Arkthalian vineyards haven't produced a bottle in almost two hundred years, since the Fell Plague decimated that land, I'd be surprised to find a bottle under a few hundred gold pieces." He frowns before continuing. "I could send a request, if you'd like, with the caravan to acquire a bottle and bring it back in a few months? It'd require a bit of a deposit..."
Nihilius flushes, uncharacteristically embarrassed as Grhym delivers the response. "Oh... no... no need to order it, I... well it just used to be a bit more common. I mean, that, we had it where I came from." Clearing his throat, he recomposes himself and smiles appologetically. "If it is a holiday for ale, then ale is what I'll have today. I didn't mean to impose so dreadfully." He offers a gold coin for the brewer's troubles and for the cup of ale.

OGRE MAGE wrote:Jem enjoys the sticky bun he is offered and spins the tale of brave Njord to the slightly overbearing young mage. He keeps the parts about himself to a minimum but speaks loudly about his brave and fearless comrades.

viewtopic.php?f=167&t=3492#p141772
Nihilius listens raptly, polite but notably intense. He takes notes, and asks for clarification on some of the points of interest regarding history and personages of the ancient kingdoms. He finishes the first ale and orders another, and offers the same to Jem as he tells of the adventure. He is particularly interested as Jem shows the transcribed maps and transcriptions. "Interesting indeed... Have you sought the Iron Castle? The tower of this Gervan?"

(OOC: Is it now acceptable to post that link into Legends and Lore?)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, feel free to do so!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem stands and excuses himself from the uncomfortably inquisitive mage. He feels as though his mind has just been raped a little.

Will you excuse me Niles. I have many things still to do today, least most is finding out if my stupid little brother is still alive and well. I must go and check on my dwarven friend again before lunch.

Feel free to stop by my house of healing sometime if you'd like, after it is built of course. We do take donations for the poor and sick there you know.

Jem gives Ghrym a wink and takes one of the mugs of ale to his infirm friend Ulf to aid in his recovery.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Marullus »

Nihilius rises, bowing in an excessively formal style to honor and recognize Jem. "The town will be indebted for this, as you have shed much light on things. I hope your dwarf friends recover, and that we shall meet again." He resumes his seat, the buns on the tray and passersby forgotten as he writes intently on his sheets of parchment at the festival table, his mug of ale still at hand.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem

When checking in on Ulf again, this time he brings him what every good dwarf wants.....a mug of fresh ale. If the dwarf still seems unfit to join the festivities yet, Jem props up his pillow for him and moves his bed so at least he can watch the goings on from his window.

Jem takes his leave and heads over to the Mystics wagon. He pulls out 10 gold and thinks to himself, this should be good for a laugh. Forgive me oh mighty Pelor, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Know that I won't believe a word this seer says, this is for entertainment purposes only.

With that we knocks on the flap, only if the caravan leader has exited already of course.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Keehnelf »

11:50am

The fortune teller is seated at the small table, a seeing crystal and deck of cards covered covered in velvet cloth of the same violet hue as the seer's robes lying on the table. The veil and hood are still in place, and the figure motions with one large gloved hand for Jem to be seated before it speaks, in a low, husky voice that is almost too deep and gravelly to be a man's.

"Sosostris sees you, servant of Pelor. She sees that you desire a crystal vision. Is this so?"
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

Nihilius finishes transcribing on his parchments and notices Jem at the Oracle... He hangs back, watching appraisingly.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”